Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

+19
variegatedDreamraptor
Captain
Hanky Panky
Hytheter
Sandstriker
ilikeoctopus
muffinz
Spark Eletran
PunchesMalone
d_what
tinning3
kotakun
Dregadude
cephalopodAscendant
Druplesnubb
phantasmalDexterity
NinteNerd
OverlordJ
Gelatino
23 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 3 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by Sandstriker Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Spark Eletran wrote:i... don't REALLY have a favorite type? i mean not one that i like like ALL the pokémon of, and not even near one that id like to train solo or anything

the closest to that would probably be electric though so i guess... Electric-type 13ever? yes 13
I actually have to agree with this, fire is my second then psychic is my 3rd. I absolutely hate anything that has to do with dark types except for my precious Zorua. God damn, do I love that Zorua.
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 3 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by Hytheter Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:41 pm

ilikeoctopus wrote:Focus blast all those dark types

Whoops sorry I meant focus miss

Aura Sphere tm yes please
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Hytheter wrote:

Monopsychic team here cannot Aura Sphere

Reuniclus is sad because of Focus Miss
Alakazam has died because of it so doesn't currently have a say.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 pm

ilikeoctopus wrote:
Hytheter wrote:

Monopsychic team here cannot Aura Sphere

Reuniclus is sad because of Focus Miss
Alakazam has died because of it so doesn't currently have a say.

I don't think you got my meaning
I'm saying they should make an Aura Sphere TM/Tutor
So Psychic and Ghost mons don't have to use Focus Miss or Hidden Power Fighting all the time
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Hytheter wrote:
no, that move is OP and i like its low distribution. makes me feel special to have three pokemon with it.  we need a generic special fighting move that is the ice beam to fighting's blizzard.

and while the only type i outright dislike is ghost, i gotta say that psychics have had it rough since gen2. i am personally hoping they are immune to and super-effective on fairy. poison and psychic can both be SE on fairy. i'm hoping for three weaknesses on the type, not sure what the third would be.

as for fairy's resistances, fighting. please. a dark immunity would be good to complete the circle of types immune to eachother. not sure what else though..
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 am

NinteNerd wrote:
Hytheter wrote:
no, that move is OP and i like its low distribution. makes me feel special to have three pokemon with it.  we need a generic special fighting move that is the ice beam to fighting's blizzard.
..what? You think Aura Sphere is OP... so you'd rather distribute a new, better move instead? That doesn't make any sense
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:05 am

Hytheter wrote:
NinteNerd wrote:
Hytheter wrote:
..what? You think Aura Sphere is OP... so you'd rather distribute a new, better move instead? That doesn't make any sense

No as in Aura Sphere is the Blizzard and this would be the Ice Beam.

So basically Brick Break.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:06 am

Brick Break is pretty good. I taught it to my Metagross in lieu of a Fighting-type on my team.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 am

I'd love it if Alakazam could learn Aura Sphere but let's face it, that won't happen.

From the gen 5 psychics I really like Sigilyph. Being part flying makes it a little weaker in my opinion but it is fast with high special attack, just the way I like my Psychic Pokemon.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:08 am

Dregadude wrote:
Hytheter wrote:
NinteNerd wrote:
Hytheter wrote:

No as in Aura Sphere is the Blizzard and this would be the Ice Beam.

So basically Brick Break.

this makes even less sense
how can Aura Sphere be the Blizzard when Focus Blast is already the Blizzard
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am

Alakazam with Aura Sphere would make my year.
Please Game Freak spies I know you're watching
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:14 am

cephalopodAscendant wrote:Brick Break is pretty good. I taught it to my Metagross in lieu of a Fighting-type on my team.

What just teach it Hammer Arm! It's so much better than Brick Break!
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 am

ilikeoctopus wrote:Alakazam with Aura Sphere would make my year.
Please Game Freak spies I know you're watching

I agree with you 100%

Heck, Aura Sphere Alakazam would be a really good argument for me to buy the new gen
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:20 am

Hytheter wrote:
how can Aura Sphere be the Blizzard when Focus Blast is already the Blizzard
i knew i worded that badly. focus blast is indeed the blizzard, aura sphere is mainly op because it's an always-hit with zero drawbacks.

we just need a generic base 80-90 power special fighting move, with no less than 95% accuracy.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 am

Maybe something based on Kiai (Can't link because not a week yet)
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:27 am

NinteNerd wrote:
i knew i worded that badly. focus blast is indeed the blizzard, aura sphere is mainly op because it's an always-hit with zero drawbacks.

But so is Ice Beam or Flamethrower, at least the vast majority of the time. And those moves are stronger than Aura Sphere, with a chance of Status to boot (10 freeze chance is much more potent than "always hits"). Which means they are better than Aura Sphere the vast majority of the time.
So I don't see how Aura Sphere is OP, unless you also think Thunderbolt is OP.
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 am

Hytheter wrote:
NinteNerd wrote:

But so is Ice Beam or Flamethrower, at least the vast majority of the time. And those moves are stronger than Aura Sphere, with a chance of Status to boot (10 freeze chance is much more potent than "always hits"). Which means they are better than Aura Sphere the vast majority of the time.
So I don't see how Aura Sphere is OP, unless you also think Thunderbolt is OP.

Hytheter has a good point there, since moves like Double Team and such are usually not allowed anyways or at leat frowned upon, Aura Sphere isn't really all that OP, compared to a move with 100% accuracy
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 am

It's the coverage it provides though. In the current metagame, psychic + fighting is better than ice and electric, and fighting + most things is just as good. As it is, WITH Focus Blast Alakazam is a top-tier threat. Short of power creep, with Aura Sphere it would be an absolute terror. Focus blast is, oddly, made viable from it accuracy! Special fighting moves are just generally awesome (they're sort of like a natural form of Psyshock).
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 am

d_what wrote:It's the coverage it provides though. In the current metagame, psychic + fighting is better than ice and electric, and fighting + most things is just as good. As it is, WITH Focus Blast Alakazam is a top-tier threat. Short of power creep, with Aura Sphere it would be an absolute terror. Focus blast is, oddly, made viable from it accuracy! Special fighting moves are just generally awesome (they're sort of like a natural form of Psyshock).

That's true of course but someone said that Aura Sphere is OP. Giving psychic pokemons a special fighting move with good accuracy and good power (let's say 100% and 80) isn't any less overpowered then giving them simply Aura Sphere.

And I am aware that Aura Sphere Alakazam would be absolutely insanely powerful. That's why I want it. I know it's not going to happen but I'd love it if it would.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 am

I think there are already too many moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower and Focus Blast. It's annoying when someone's entire strategy is BIG MOVES GOGOGO and it works too well.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Dregadude wrote:I think there are already too many moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower and Focus Blast. It's annoying when someone's entire strategy is BIG MOVES GOGOGO and it works too well.

Focus Blast is nothing like Ice Beam and Flamethrower though...

Also, that isn't exactly the point here?

Lastly, if you want to use a Sweeper, unless you set it up with a Baton Pass, what other way is there except "BIG MOVES GOGOGO", quickly using strong moves is kind of the point of a sweeper...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 pm

I think PERSONALLY an ideal metagame shift is one where weak pokemon are given the tools to be good (Cloyster, Venomoth... Different Brelooms) and stronger ones are either left alone (Scizor) or just given enough to stay relevant (Sturdy Skarmory and Forretress.) Otherwise you get power creep and a FURTHER imbalanced metagame. So while yeah, it'd be great if Toxicroak could have a 100 base power physical fighting move that heals for half the damage, well, it wouldn't really. It's good as-is. Whereas something like Slaking could really make use of it, and that's Balance! :DTBH an important part of the metagame is movepool limits. The concept of a nearly infinite movepool on every pokemon is a scary one. (Yet it's the trend over the generations.)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm

d_what wrote:I think PERSONALLY an ideal metagame shift is one where weak pokemon are given the tools to be good (Cloyster, Venomoth... Different Brelooms) and stronger ones are either left alone (Scizor) or just given enough to stay relevant (Sturdy Skarmory and Forretress.) Otherwise you get power creep and a FURTHER imbalanced metagame. So while yeah, it'd be great if Toxicroak could have a 100 base power physical fighting move that heals for half the damage, well, it wouldn't really. It's good as-is. Whereas something like Slaking could really make use of it, and that's Balance! :DTBH an important part of the metagame is movepool limits. The concept of a nearly infinite movepool on every pokemon is a scary one. (Yet it's the trend over the generations.)

That IS the ideal metagame. I'm not talking about the metagame.

I'm saying that Aura Sphere is based on an idea similar to Focus Blast and I'd love it if Alakazam could learn Aura Sphere, it feels fitting flavour wise and it'd make it much stronger.

It clearly wouldn't be a good choice for the metagame, which is one of the two reasons why I doubt they'll do Aura Sphere Alakazam, it's just something I'd love to see.

Not all things you wish to be true must be good ideas you know?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:26 pm

How is it a fitting flavour? It's A: A fighting move and thus weak to psychic which Alakazam primarily is, and B: only used by other pokémon who could are either dedicated to aura reading such as lucario, practitioners of martial arts and thus use aura as a fighting style or meditation like mienfoo, or personifications of time/ space/ antimatter, and akin to Gods. Alakazam wouldn't fit having aura sphere in lore, unless this is a different flavour you're talking about.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Let's not forget that Game Freak is astoundingly terrible at giving Pokémon movesets that fit flavor. See: Doduo learning Fly, Hypno not learning Dream Eater by level up, and I'm sure countless others.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next