Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

+17
tinning3
ilikeoctopus
Dregadude
Xaber
Druplesnubb
willPowered
muffinz
Spark Eletran
d_what
phantasmalDexterity
OverlordJ
kotakun
invisibleTerrarium
variegatedDreamraptor
NinteNerd
cephalopodAscendant
Hanky Panky
21 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo - Page 38 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

Post by Captain Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:02 pm

OJ How can you say that South America is similar to New York though? I just don't understand it. "European" Pokemon fit in France because much of Europe has quite a similar culture. There are some clear big similarities in the way that European countries respond to eachother. Granted, there are differences of course. But when comparing the differences between North America and South America and countries within Europe, the former is clearly much bigger than the latter. So you can't say that a south american Pokemon "fits" in a region based off New York.

Oh, and I don't think that the regions are themed nearly as much as you say they are either. Granted, several location throughout Kalos's map seem to be linked to real world France locations, but apart form that, there's not much of a thematic link between France and Kalos that I can recall (maybe all the stuff about beauty? Idk). Unova is certainly not true though. It's literally just Catselia city that fits New York. The rest is clearly not the Big Apple.

Anyway.

My Competitive team is going well! I have Aegislash, Goodra, Mienshao, Gliscor and Gardevoir all fully evolved (although Gliscor and Mienshao still need to be lvl 50), all I need now is that Protean Greninja. Aegislash is fully EV trained, and due to the fact that I trained Gliscor and Mienshao on Trevanent hordes, their attack EVs are sorted too. I still need to EV train the rest though! I have Gliscor's Toxic Orb, Aegislash's Leftovers, Gardevoir's Gardevoirite and Goodra's Rocky Helmet, I just need an Assault Vest and a Life Orb now for the other two. I also need an ability capsule because Mienshao's ability is Inner Focus.

Once all that's done I will have a competitive team that is fully ready, though, which will be awesome.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo - Page 38 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

Post by OverlordJ Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I didn't say that South America is similar to New York, I said that a Pokemon inspired by something South American fits into the America/New York theme. And I don't see how I can't say that, it is my opinion that it fits the American theme. If some of you get away with calling Trevenant european because we have spooky forests and Gourgeist because Jack-O-Lantern originally came from Ireland then I can say that I feel South American stuff fits the America theme. And really if you think the different countries of Europe have a similar culture, well...

Lets not talk about that.

Also, by question about if the regions are themed after real world regions or not is answered quite shortly. I am fairly certain that the developer said that gen 5 was America themed while gen 6 is themed after France.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Unova was based off of New York and to a lesser extent the United States in general. As much as we'd like to believe it sometimes, the US is only a fraction of what can accurately be called America. Extending the US to all of North America, much less Central and South America, is pretty inaccurate. Whether or not certain Pokémon are really "French" versus "European" is a different (although admittedly related) debate, and one that I'm not going to get involved in. And the Japanese regions were themed after their real-life counterparts, but it was a lot more subtle for a few reasons. First, since Game Freak is a Japanese company, the general flavor of the different regions of Japan is second-nature to them, so they would unconsciously assume that their audience would be familiar with Japanese culture too (the existence of Pokémon like Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, and Manaphy is this same thing happening). Second, while most people have a mental image of most countries as a whole, not many people are that familiar with the different regions within other countries (for instance, you must be far more familiar with the reputations of various areas of Germany than I am). You'll notice that Kalos was based off of France as a whole, and while Unova was only based off of New York, so much of American pop culture centers around New York that I wouldn't be surprised if that's mostly how the rest of the world views us.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Again, while the shape of the regions as well as some references to real life stuff was made, this wasn't done because they wanted to theme a certain region after Japan. But when they designed Unova and Kalos they specifically said they wanted to theme the region after the real world region.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 pm

So uh
Fuck Super Training
I spent all yesterday afternoon breeding a Quint-Flawless Hidden Ability Whismur
Today I decided to start training it, and figured I might give Super Training a try
Then, without me knowing beforehand, the fucking tutorial forced a small but irritating amount of Defense EVs onto me, when what I want are SpA and Spe.
So now I have to somehow obtain a Pecha berry (which I have none of) so I can plant it next to an Oran Berry and hope they mutate into a Qualot Berry to get rid of these damn EVs.
Plus, its just really slow and grindy besides.

edit: Also, Unfezant looks remarkably unlike a Turkey
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 pm

There is a bag called Reset Bag that resets all stat changes made to that pokemon.
You can get it randomly while punching the normal bag.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 pm

phantasmalDexterity wrote:There is a bag called Reset Bag that resets all stat changes made to that pokemon.
You can get it randomly while punching the normal bag.
I know, but
a) it resets all stats, and I've made some significant headway on SpA and Spe that I don't really want to redo, and
b) I'm pretty sure have found every single kind of bag except the reset bag. If I do find one maybe I'll use it, but I'd rather not...
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Ah, I see. Okay then. Do as you like.
I think it's much faster than waiting for 1day+ for berries, though. On the other hand, not like you're in a hurry.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Ah fuck do they take that long?
Ugh, I guess the bag it is

All I want is a functionally flawless, perfectly ev'd Scrappy Exploud. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK??? Sad
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Someone made a map of Kalos with stuff, don't know if you've seen that already:

Map:
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:19 pm

holy cow. that is awesome and immensely helpful, thanks muchly for the link.
[yes, muchly]
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok, so I finally progressed with the story, and I feel the need to ramble. Slightly longish.
From the 7th Gym to being about to leave Geosenge Town after finishing Team Flare. Time is about 75 hours.
Spoiler:

Pheew, that took like an hour to write.
Tl;dr: I actually like lampshade hanging.

Also, I love how they showed us the Pokemon Planet.

Also, would somebody trade Legendary with me for a second? I would like to have Yveltal in my Dex.

Last edited by phantasmalDexterity on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm willing to try later tonight, once I get time to actually make sure I can wi-fi. It's not going to be for several hours, though, so I understand if you don't want to wait.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:40 pm

I gots Eviltal(ons). If you're on at the same time I'll temp-trade you for Xerneas. I've most of the 6th gen dex filled anyway; it's pretty short.

(Barbarble, Sylveon, Noiboat+Noiberm, Aegisilly, Aromatissue and Slumpoof left)
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks the offer guys. I will try to be online tonight.

Also, I feel the need to express my disappointment that Pokemon-amie doesn't affect competitive battling. Seriously GF? SERIOUSLY? It's not cool.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:28 am

I'm going to pretend you /didn't/  just suggest competitive battling become more gimmicky than it is and also a million times more luck-based.

Because that would be all kinds of stupid and you're not stupid.

Ergo that post doesn't exist.
Neither does this one.
/logic
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:33 am

I think it was more about the neat sideeffect stuff, not the one that actually affects the gameplay.

You know, that stuff where they react differently and not the stuff where they are more likely to crit or evade and attack.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I mainly meant what OJ said. It's just feels wrong that against a Gym Leader they all like "Looks at me with trusting eyes" then a minute later in online battle they are just "what will x do". Just wrong.
But I wouldn't actually mind luck playing a bigger role. Probably because I'm mainly a phlegmatic person.
Besides, it not being present in online battles makes all the neat pokemon-amie effects utterly pointless, because all they do is make an already easy game easier.

Best of both world: a rule set where all of pokemon-amie's effect are enabled and a rule set which is like the one now.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 am

Alright, you know those super secret special pokèmon who someone figured out the names of a while back?

Well, someone managed to fiddle around with the game's code and make them appear! Here are some SUPER SECRET X-CLUSIVE LEAXX pictures of them!
Contains spoilerific images of hidden event legendaries. Open at your own risk.:
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:13 am

Nice. These designs actually look pretty good.
In-depth discussion of one of them:
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:34 am

They look pretty neat

(But they don't look european at all, let alone french...)

What were their supposed types again?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:52 am

phantasmalDexterity wrote:
Best of both world: a rule set where all of pokemon-amie's effect are enabled and a rule set which is like the one now.
amie has actual in-battle effects? huh. must not have messed with it enough.

and before muffinz posts the types i'm gonna guess.
brief opinions and stat-speculating in here too:
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:15 am

I thought that image was going to have a joke in it, but was pleasantly surprised when it didn't.

Opinions:
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:35 am

The types are:
Spoiler:
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 am

muffinz wrote:The types are:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next