Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

+17
tinning3
ilikeoctopus
Dregadude
Xaber
Druplesnubb
willPowered
muffinz
Spark Eletran
d_what
phantasmalDexterity
OverlordJ
kotakun
invisibleTerrarium
variegatedDreamraptor
NinteNerd
cephalopodAscendant
Hanky Panky
21 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo - Page 37 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:49 pm

My gut instinct is that we're going to see XY, Z, paired versions for the new region, and RSE remakes. No idea if they'd do a third version for the new region or not, but it's certainly plausible.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo - Page 37 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:51 pm

yeah forgot the RSE remakes I could see that happening too

And... hmm, what could the midgenregion's paired versions be called? Would they still follow the letter theme, or be something else entirely?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:00 pm

I think that'll depend on the version mascots. I doubt it would continue the letter theme, since there really aren't any other letter pairs that go together as well as X and Y do that also have other meanings as a pair.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:09 pm

...Well... there's Z and W but Z is already taken so

and also A and Z I suppose BUT that faces the same problem

so yeah not really any letter pairs that don't use Z left
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:15 pm

A and O for Alpha and Omega?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Captain wrote:Personally I think Britain might be the location base for said region, what with the constant wars through history with Kalos and all that (English vs French).
Personally I think there's a country that fits that description better. It had a much worse relationship with France with constant wars. It also ties better into the whole Fairy theme.
Can you guess which country I'm thinking of?
Spoiler:

A possible way to have a new region in Z: something happens in Kalos, that makes the western side unapproachable (like in Unova, when twist mountain collapsed) so the player has to go east.
Though I personally wouldn't like that, because I feel it would be a waste of a perfectly good region material for a new pair of game.
But if there's gonna be...... Xpóvios(?) region in a game, I certainly hope it's gonna be like in HGSS, only better.

In fact, Xpóvios for Gen VII.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Kinda surprised those 'mysteries' didn't mention the train tracks from nowhere in Couriway. I mean... They lead right into 'Germany'. I could see a second related region happening... Though not via dlc. It'd be impossible to pace as a post-game thing after a random amount of leveling. 

'Dem power plants though. Those are DLC if I ever saw it.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Man, if the next region is related to Germany, I'm not sure if I'll be excited or scared.

I mean, I am already slightly upset because they didn't really pull of France all that well in my opinion...

But Germany could be really fitting, especially because, besides the historic reasons, Germany is often associated with functionality as opposed to Frances beauty.

Also, where did the "Xpóvios " name come from pD?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Greek. It's actually how chronos is written with greek letters.
On second thought there are better words to describe Germany. But it's kinda late. I'm sure GF will think of something clever if it comes to that.
Anyway, yeah, I'm EXCITE for a German region
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Then why is there an iota in there? It should be just Χρóνoσ.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Late hour typo.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:29 pm

I am worried what creatures they'd pick. There are some but german mythology doesn't seem very fitting for Pokemons...

I mean, what do we have?

Werewolfs, which is already kind of covered by Zoroark.

Elben folks ("Das Kleine Volk" as they are called in German, this includes Alps and technically Drawves) - They often look very human, just smaller...

We got some ghosts but stuff like Poltergeister are basically covered by like 50% of all ghost types already. I mean, how do you show a ghost that posses objects...

Nixen won't work to well, they are kind of like Mermaids, except not nice and shapeshifters...

Giants are popular but they are basically just very large humans...

We got a lot of talking animals but, well, yeah...

I mean, how do they make a Pokemon from German Mythology if most of our stuff is humanlooking, a shapeshifter or looking like an animal?

EDIT:

Oh, but I kind of hope we get a Wolpertinger, that'd be pretty neat.

And maybe some nature spirits? Salamander, undine, sylph and gnome/kobold?

EDIT 2:
For those that don't know about Salamander, Undine, Slyph and Kobold, have some Faust:
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:48 pm

^I think a mermaid or similar would make an interesting Fairy/Water type.
I'd probably include elements of Sirens too, for added flavour.
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't think that really matters, Jay. Pokémon don't really depend on the region they're introduced in, the region mostly affects, well, the landscape and the "theme" of the game, if you look at Unova and Kalos. Sure, some Pokémon might be based on aspects of the region too, but even then it doesn't have to be the mithology, just look at how the New York-based region got the Trash Pokémon because of, well, trash!
And, while I can't speak from experience and don't know much about Germany itself, I always hear about "hard-working people" from there. So... Maybe the theme could be that? Hard work? How you need to work for stuff and all, maybe? Eh, idk.

Also "I mean, how do you show a ghost that posses objects..."

.......rotom?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Well, yes, the Nix do lure humans into the water to drown them, sometimes with music. So yes, they are kind of like shapeshifting Sirens, living in lakes and rivers.

And Spark, I'd expect them that they include at least some Pokemons that are themed after the region and if you listened to my complains about gen six one of my main problems is that I think that the Pokemons aren't french enough.

And yes, as I said, we already have ghosts possesing objects, sorry if I wasn't clear. But yes, Rotom is already a Poltergeist, so if they wanted to include a Poltergeist they'd have to come up with a new idea to show a ghost that posses objects and I have no idea how they'd do that.

And about the "hard work" thing, that's sort of part of what I meant when I said "functionality" as opposed to "beauty"
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 am

I'm currently exploring Couriway D_What, and you're right. There's a whole train track leading into the mountain, but no train! In addition, Couriway is the "Town Connecting Differences". So yeah, the new region will probably be Germany. Which is cool! I definitely want to see Britain at some point though. Because, you know, I'm British. But I'm perfectly content with Germany too.

Oh, I found more hints at a Hoenn remake too. NPC in the Couriway hotel talking about how they incubate their Pokemon Eggs in Sand baths where she comes from. Obvious nod at Lavaridge and therefore Hoenn!

Also, OJ- so which Pokemon were "american", in your opinion? I can think of one. Braviary. And that's it. Oh, and which Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn an Sinnoh are "japanese"? I can't think of any. The Pokemon almost never actually fit the region they're in bar maybe the animals that fit in the ecosystem of said places. I mean, Unova has a White Honduran Bat, which is definitely not a New York animal.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:55 am

1) Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh weren't japanese themed, just inspired by places in Japan, unlike Unova and Kalos who were themed after real world regions.

2) There were a few more, which seemed kind of fitting BUT you are right, there should have been many more. That said, just because they haven't been doing it doesn't mean that I can't be disapointed that they aren't doing it

EDIT:
Actually, I made a list:

Actually, looking back to it, that aren't nearly as few as I thought at first. Unova had way more American Pokemons then Kalos had French ones, probably even more then european ones.

Last edited by OverlordJ on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:22 am

^minor note. There's a LOT of Japanese Pokemon. But they're relatively obscure so we wouldn't notice them. Though Japanese players would. Bulbapedia's origins of species gives a good showcase of unexpected pokemon beginnings.

China would be a cool region. There's already great Chinese Pokémon.
Part of Australia, too, assuming you're using the other oceanic Islands also.
And loathe as I am to say it, Italy would be cool. It's got rich culture, scenery, history. The whole lot. I just don't like Italy much... I just can't trust a country where that greasy Berlusconi guy has been voted to power so consistantly. Plus the thing with throwing the bananas at that poor black Italian politician was so mean Sad
If I had to pick though, I'd say Greece. Sure, they're broke as hell and have all of Italy's problems, but Greek history is just. So wow.

(Inb4 other people argue other places, e.g Germany, have great myths too, but they don't get close to half of Greek Mythology's PR.)

And I'm... Not sure how comfortable I'd be with the UK getting it. For numerous reasons. It's a sticky issue in my head... 
Is it really interesting or stylish enough :/ Scotland is p. cool given the landscape and weather. Dublin's on the opposite side of the Irish sea if they were looking to do something like Gen 2's Cianwood. Have a costal route to a Belfast analog. Not sure what would be the point though. I can't see either of our countries really being interesting enough to warrant it :/ (history aside. Selling the 'Empire' as a theme would be all kinds of inappropriate.)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:23 pm

OverlordJ wrote:1) Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh weren't japanese themed, just inspired by places in Japan, unlike Unova and Kalos who were themed after real world regions.

2) There were a few more, which seemed kind of fitting BUT you are right, there should have been many more. That said, just because they haven't been doing it doesn't mean that I can't be disapointed that they aren't doing it

EDIT:
Actually, I made a list:

Actually, looking back to it, that aren't nearly as few as I thought at first. Unova had way more American Pokemons then Kalos had French ones, probably even more then european ones.
OBJECTION! Unfezant is, um, a pheasant, which is native to Asia and domesticated in parts of Europe.

You also forgot the most 'Murican pokemon of them all, Braviary. It's a fucking red white and blue bald eagle.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Rufflet and Braviary are basically the US personified, really.

Also, I'd just like to point out that Unova is less "America" and more, yknow, US and specially New York. Brazil is America too, and it's got almost nothing in common with the US, for example. If Pokémon based on stuff from South America count as "fitting" literally all of Europe and even a big part of Asia and Africa should also "fit" in Kalos.

And really, I don't think Pokémon have to really... fit? the place the region was based on?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Spark Eletran wrote:
And really, I don't think Pokémon have to really... fit? the place the region was based on?
this. i've said in the past [likely more than once] that pokemon are NEVER strictly themed around their region. people seem to think they are for some reason, but as far as i can tell it's basically just "a bunch of animals and sometimes mythical beasts or beings of legend and other things"
that's all i'm going to say in this argument.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 pm

You do have to admit that when they're obviously themed around a different region, it's pretty jarring. What if Braviary hadn't been a Unova Pokémon?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:31 pm

1) I prefer to think of Unfezant as a Turkey but alright.

2) I didn't forget Braviary, I didn't include it because Captain asked for America themed Pokemons besides Braviary.

3) Yes, Unova is more New York and USA then America but since we included all "Sort of european" themed Pokemons as fitting for Kalos, even though Kalos is only themed after France, I decided to include all America themed ones.

4) It's fine you you don't think they have to fit Spark, I think they should. It's a personal preference

5) NN, I'm not saying they are or that ALL of them should be. I DO however think that a fairly large number should fit the region IF the region is especially themed after a real world region.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:44 pm

So far we haven't had any regions not based on a real-world region. Kanto through Sinnoh were all based on different geographical subregions of Japan (Kanto, Kansai, Kyushu, and Hokkaido, respectively). We've already gone over Unova and Kalos, and Orre (whether or not you consider it a "main" region) is based on Arizona.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Again, being based on something and being themed after something are two different things.

The first regions, untill Unova, were all shaped like parts of Japan, which makes them based on Japan.

Unova and Kalos however weren't only shaped after a real location, they were also themed after it.

And I think if a region is themed after a real life region, the Pokemons should fit that region as well.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next