Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

+8
OverlordJ
kotakun
Hanky Panky
cephalopodAscendant
Spark Eletran
muffinz
invisibleTerrarium
tinning3
12 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 20 Empty Re: General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

Post by d_what Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:57 pm

This website randomly stopped functioning for me yesterday and today. It was weird. First chrome on PC: DNS server error. Then Chrome on Mobile (after a delay). Then Firefox on Mobile. Then Firefox on PC. And EVERYTHING ELSE worked perfectly. It was very weird.

Anyway ORAS is fun, I'm taking my time. A few issues though.

1) difficulty is awkward. In that it's left entirely up to the player to make things entertaining. Without an EXP.Share, a full team is a very difficult slog. With an EXP.Share, the game is too easy and battles are boring. ?????

2) Area transitions. WTF is up with those they've never been needed before?? They close up the space IMO and make everything seem claustrophobic. I LIKED running all the way from Lilycove to Oldale in one swoop back in the day. I could understand them if they were there to allow the overworld to be 3D, but it's not...

3) No trails left behind in the ash ;_; and no berry blender. Otherwise everything so far is pretty and SO tied to the original.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to say what my Eggs ended up being! I... got them completely wrong. I thought it'd be Skiddo/Riolu/Meditite/Beldum/Cleffa, give or take a few. Instead it was Skiddo/Mareep/Rotom/Spiritomb/Froakie. Rotom had completely redundant typing so I nixxed him and I said I wouldn't use another starter, let alone a water type, which removed Froakie and left Spiritomb, Mareep, and Skiddo, in addition to Mudkip.

And I'm not using anything else bar HM slaves out of battle.
Grass types are a bitch.

Last edited by d_what on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 20 Empty Re: General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:01 pm

The Berry Blender's in your PokéBlock kit. The area transitions are probably because of hardware restrictions; loading up an area in ORAS involves a lot of 3D models and tiles, which take up a decent amount of processing power to render, while the GBA was more than capable of dealing with RSE's sprites.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:05 pm

I meant with the fun minigame, though. Faster Pokeblocks are nice, sure, but I appreciated the effort and the payoff with the lilycove spinny pokeblock maker machine game.

What's so different in ORAS that wasn't in XY though? EVERYTHING needs a screen transition here. I could understand the processing power thing if it was in 3D or something, in fact after XY I guessed the first game to be in full 3D would rely on transitions. Unless they want it to run faster or something...?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:07 pm

The thing is, Kalos had all of those way stations connecting routes, which have always been GameFreak's preferred method of giving the game a chance to load new area data. Hoenn never had any because the GBA was powerful enough that it didn't need them. And I didn't realize they took out the actual making part of making PokéBlocks.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Yeah, exactly. It seems like ORAS has way more screen transitions, but I'm like 60% sure X/Y had just as many of them, disguised in the form of the gates.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Ohhh yeah! I missed that! Geez. Turns out this whole time Pokemon was getting away with a lot more than I gave it credit for. Perhaps one day the power the consoles are at (and GF's aptitude with that console) will mean a game with an uninterrupted free roam. Clearly now is not that day!

Really makes you understand why 3Difying the routes isn't something they can do, not if large regular maps are out of the question.

Kinda makes me wonder where and what the fundamental differences are code/data-structure/asset-wise compared to, say, Kid Icarus, which has a *few* loading screens now and then after large stuff, but I guess they also have a dedicated loading time for chapters as opposed to Pokemon's constant gameplay.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I am now SRing for Latias. Hopefully will have a good one sooner rather than later... I don't want to keep my secret base on hold for long!

DOUBLEEDIT: Haha Game Freak finally made it happen. Mega Rayquaza was so incredibly broken (note that previously "broken" things included Specs Kyogre in gen 4, Xerneas the Ultimate Fairy, Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag, and even Primal Kyogre and Groudon, and ALL of these failed to break the banlist) that Smogon's Ubers has had to be made an official tier, with it's own Banlist (AG - anything goes). I'm actually impressed that they were able to break the conventions of what a balanced Pokemon is by so much. Do you think GF are naive and think it'll all work out in the end, or don't care because no real tournament will allow it anyway, or perhaps they wanted to make the most borked thing imaginable just for laughs?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:37 pm

Mega Rayquaza was 100% made to be purposefully overpowered

It's more for rule of cool in-story I think, because
having completed Delta Episode
I can confirm that Mega Rayquaza was AWESOME in it
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:15 am

now then any guesses until something gets banned from anything goes? i give it a good five generations until something that op comes along and smogon has to mess everything up again
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:40 am

I will make and take that bet! The wager will be... one Shiny Pokemon.

I kinda want to SR a Rayquaza now just to see exactly how borked it is (new favourite word) but that would be mean and a waste of Master Balls and anyway, I'm too busy SRing latias.

EDIT:
READ 'EM AND F'CKIN WEEP BRAHS

BOLD 31/1/31/31/31/30  LATIAS

Narrowly missed a 31 speed, but with the set I'm going for you only speed tie (as opposed to outrun) Suicune, Cresselia and Kingdra; Kingdra will be using Swift Swim anyway and the other two are mostly irrelevant.
So yeah! About 30 SRs for this one. I don't have a name for it yet though.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:13 am

Speaking of shiny pokemon...

I added two ralts to my shiny collection yesterday.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:38 am

I think glitterglow might be the first shiny I got without chance boosting stuff.

My shiny Zorua was from an egg from a nongerman Zoroark.
My shiny Wingull was from a horde.
My shiny Starly is from wondertrade.
My shiny Gyarados is from SoulSilver.
My shiny Palkia was from the event.

I don't remember where I got my shiny Woobat, maybe they were just by chance, too...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:41 am

d_what wrote:I will make and take that bet! The wager will be... one Shiny Pokemon.
now wait which side of the bet are you taking like do you win if it takes less than five generations or more than five generations?
well granted it could also be if it doesnt take five generations exactly but then the odds are obviously different for the two of us so there probably should be different payouts
though given that we arent wagering anything real this isnt as important of a thing so that would probably be fine too
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:09 am

Let's see...
I think the only completely random shinies (1/8192) i've found were Golbat (Plat) and Sewaddle (BW2).

Then there's
Mewtwo (WT)
Scyther (MM)
Gastly (MM)
Beldum (Plat RNG abuse)
Ponyta (Plat RNG abuse)
Kabuto (Plat RNG abuse)
Abra (FS)
Shuppet (FS)
Pansear (FS)
Cacturne (FS)
Ralts (Dexnav)
Ralts (Dexnav)
Tentacruel (random trade)
Larvesta (random trade)
Fletchling (random trade)
legendary dogs (distro)
dialga (distro)
giratina (distro)
Porygon2 (GTS)
Skrelp (XY fishing chain)

and probably a couple others i can't remember.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:49 pm

That's a lot of shinies you've got
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:36 pm

I have a lot of shinies in XY, mostly because my friend runs a trade center on PS, and he gives me clones of most of the things he sends out. I also have a bunch of shiny event legendaries and a Victreebel and Spinda I obtained via horde battle spamming. Completely randomly though, I found a Mightyena, Claydol, Aipom and Smeargle in Emerald, though admittedly I did accidentally kill the Smeargle and the Aipom was in the Safari Zone and fled, and then a Psyduck in Diamond.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:50 pm

it's like when i caught gatsby the floodgates opened

all right, time for round 2 of guess my team nicknames
you already know castor the sceptile and one red mana the manectric. and i gave out a freebie earlier.

we got new members:
golbat
camerupt
gallade
azumarill

their nicknames:
Vandesdelca
Mickey
Slugger
Vesuvius
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:57 pm

hahaha i would not use my master ball on rayquaza

there is a pokémon who very much deserves the master ball in this and it is not it
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Hanky Panky wrote:it's like when i caught gatsby the floodgates opened

all right, time for round 2 of guess my team nicknames
you already know castor the sceptile and one red mana the manectric. and i gave out a freebie earlier.

we got new members:
golbat
camerupt
gallade
azumarill

their nicknames:
Vandesdelca
Mickey
Slugger
Vesuvius

pfft. easy.

Vesuvius is Camerupt
Mickey is Azumarill
Slugger is Golbat
Gallade is Vandesdelca
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Masterballs are collectibles, you don't use them on Pokemon! :sortofmspa: (I actually never used a masterball except in gen 1)
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:03 pm

invisibleTerrarium wrote:pfft. easy.

Vesuvius is Camerupt
Mickey is Azumarill
Slugger is Golbat
Gallade is Vandesdelca

well gee i didn't know there was a pokèmon called Vandesdelca

:mparps:
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:58 pm

list of pokemon who i have used a master ball on:
groudon in ruby
palkia in pearl
giratina in platinum
lugia in soul silver

list of legendary pokemon i have caught:
all those above
thats it
i am totally a pokemon master 5evur
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:44 am

Spark Eletran wrote:hahaha i would not use my master ball on rayquaza

there is a pokémon who very much deserves the master ball in this and it is not it

You betcha! And it's name is Terratioscunelatiaoxysorusaikouthundertran. (Which is two syllables longer than the supercalifra...thingy so don't bother trying to sing it.) But in all seriousness, if you think you're ever gonna get into semi-competitive or competitive battling, horde those masterballs because ORAS is by a LANDSLIDE the best opportunity we've ever had for getting good legendaries. And with minor exceptions for maybe Raikou and Thundurus (hidden power ice... Which is ironically what my Latias had, but it doesnt want it) SRing for them is really, really, really easy with the appropriate synchroniser. Like, less than 40 resets easy.

Which brings me to my next point. Imma get my Latias cloned. But not too many times because that's a lot of work. I'm thinking one for me, two for eventual convention trade fodder, one for my neighbour who gave me his Tornadus, one for a dA friend, one for a just-in-case any of my IRL friends get the game, at least two for smogon redistributions, and one for these forums. 9 is a lot though.
So who's gonna want it and use it well eh?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:58 am

How do you clone stuff nowadays?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:22 am

I have no idea. One way is to IR trade using 2 3DSs and then turn one off at a particular moment, but that's pretty slow.

I think some people use powersaves with SD card games, they save, upload to bank, load the previous save, unload from bank. But that's also a guess. Apparently the easiest numbers to clone are original + 1 and original + 5, so maybe there's something to do with the party... that sounds like the infrared trade method perhaps.
I've never really had an issue with cloning compared to hacking. As long as they're legit Pokemon, I can't help but think of it as sharing-the-love without cost. That said, I've never had a clone before anyway :/ (well, besides probable GTS clones, but they're random and I can't tell if they're clones or not.)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:56 am

Yeah, clones are fine, after all, you first have to get the original. Still cloning sounds like a hassle. Good luck.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next