Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

+16
Sharpedo
phantasmalDexterity
cerebralconfinement
Crobat
kotakun
Xaber
ilikeoctopus
Captain
invisibleTerrarium
OverlordJ
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
Dregadude
Spark Eletran
Hanky Panky
d_what
20 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

What Hoenn starter are you picking?

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_lcap7%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_lcap21%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_lcap14%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_lcap14%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_lcap43%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 Empty Re: General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

Post by kotakun Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:51 pm

is my good twin part of your imagination as well?
also shouldnt that be pacman instead of eggman? i mean it fits
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 39 Empty Re: General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Nice Archer reference. And I think I must be the anthropomorphic personification of sarcasm and snarkiness.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:01 pm

D, that's how shit works in the Mystery Dungeon games, and stuff like bronzong is REALLY ANNOYING

Yeah but Drega weren't you kotakun's evil/good twin at some point? And if Drega is part of my imagination then yes that means your twin is a figment of my imagination by extension.
This is really stupid.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:14 pm

D, if we'd play with that, I'd wish there was one with both Super Luck and Sniper
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:55 pm

I thought of that one, but it doesn't exist. And if we're gonna play THAT game, then there's a million broken things to use. Adapatability+Protean, Wonderguard+Levitate, actually there's a lot of abilities that would be broken in the right place...

But Parental Bond + Serene Grace Togekiss would be hilarious. FLINCH CHANCE AHOY HOY

(psssst iT it has Dark and Ghost weakeness now, and anyway there are more Pokemon and Abilities than there used to be, also they work differently in PMD)

Different topic; objective ranking of abilities, in three groups: Objectively broken, Objectively Really Really Really Great, and Objectively So Bad It Really Shouldn't Exist?
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:38 pm

I cannot think of an ability that shouldn't exist, only of abilities that are bad. Meanwhile, I can think of a lot of abilities I'd consider worse then Really Really Really Great...

Hey, assuming I use MAlakazam and Blastoise, which mon would be a good third one for Single Battle? Also, what do you think of Yawn?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:19 am

Yawn can force a switch on damn near anything, unless it has sleep talk or your opponent has some serious guts. Gives you the switch turn to boost, which is nice.

(there isnt a sixth gen PMD game yet though so in those games those are still neutral)

Objectively really broken:

objectively really fucking good:

Really goddamn useless/bad:
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:22 am

Well, Truant, Slow Start, and Defeatist were all intended to keep certain Pokémon from absolutely dominating, so in that sense they succeeded with flying colors. And at least Hustle fits Deino and Zweilous well flavor-wise.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:29 am

steadfast + inner focus lucario is also pretty redundant which made it hilarious in the pmd games
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:36 am

Yeah, I wouldn't call them useless unless the Pokemon could have a different ability. So Stall is pretty useless because I can't think of a set for Sableye where Keen Eye isn't better and lets not even talk about Prankster. Truant on the other hand ISN'T useless, because Slaking would wreck games without it. And amusingly, it was on this forum that I learned that Truant Durant can actually work quite nicely. Also, Run Away isn't so bad, most mons that have it gain better abilities when they evolve, so it help the weak mon from getting trapped in a battle they can't win. It's certainly not the BEST ability but it isn't useless.

EDIT: I'm asking about Yawn because I am considering it as the fourth move for the Blastoise I am planning to breed.

Last edited by OverlordJ on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:41 am

Oh yeah I missed that one Very Happy Funnily enough, the bad ability combinations tend to be more "redundant" than ACTUALLY bad. Think: Delibird.

And I think I'd agree with most of your really fucking bad list, IT, except with what cA has said. Truant and Defeatist are purposefully bad. That said, slow start is too much, especially if you can't protect. If it was a set 5 turns and didn't reset upon Phazing it might be okay, but as it is, phazing is Regigigas's worst enemy. OH and don't forget Illuminate! And maybe Stench. (Though Natural Cure + Analytic Starmie would have a shot at being OU again, I think.)

Not sure about your really good list though. They're definitely GOOD, but I'd reserve the list for the really REALLY good ones, like Magic Guard, Regenerator, Multiscale and Gale Wings (none of which are really broken... but Multiscale and Speed Boost really try to push against that line), with Technician and Filter being a tier below, since they provide more modest boosts. And Trace is only situationally useful; I'd rank it alongside No Guard or Flame Body. Not sure how I feel about Huge Power and Fur Coat yet... And I think Stance Change is more dependent on Aegislash's Formes, since all the move ability does is change forme. But it would be pretty weird to see it on Deoxys. Yikes.

Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 am

Stench and Illuminate both have out of combat uses, IIRC, so they have some uses. And Stench could actually be pretty good if the mon had great speed. Toxic the opponent then flinch stall them.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 am

Sorry if dropped off the face of the Earth for a while, email notifications aren't working for some reason :0

Stench and Illuminate... maybe it's just me, but I usually don't want to cart around an extra Pokemon just for their encounter rate abilities, so they just kind of frustrate me mostly (especially when competitive Starmies need to happen).
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:47 am

Oh! That reminds me. How do you disable them? Every time anyone posts I get another message in my University's SPAM folder and it gets annoying, since I had them disabled to begin with... And then they started reappearing one day. I can select not to watch the topic all I like or click the link in the email and I STILL end up subscribed.

Seriously though, Analytic + Natural Cure Starmie would be wonderful, except getting HAs on genderless Pokemon sucks D:
(note for those not in the know: Analytic boosts the power of moves used after the opponent moves. Which sounds shitty, given that Starmie is super fast and doesn't take hits too well. And you'd be right - EXCEPT that it also gets the boost if the opponent switches, which means the switch-in takes a super-strong Hydro Pump to the face! But Natural Cure makes it a great spinner.)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 am

So, sorry if I ask again but what bulky mon should I use as the third one on my single battle mansion trio?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Honestly OJ I typed a big, long-ass answer to all of your questions soon after you posted the original one, but then my battery died and nothing discourages me more than not being able to say my bit Sad so I gave up after that.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Aww, but you are good with this kind of stuff, could you PLEASE try to type it again?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Hmmmm... Maybe. But not now since I'm going home from work and don't have time.

In the meantime, satiate yourself with these:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alakazam.3495160/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blastoise.3495128/
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 pm

invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:58 pm

No it isn't, I was in university today, this is all a figment of your imagination ;0

No but seriously it sucks that across the western world so many people your age have to keep doing stuff in JUNE. 'Course I say that as an Irish person; if you miss the few golden late-may to mid-june weeks you've essentially missed your year's dose of vitamin D.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Okay, so I've read the pages you linked.

For Alakazam, I decided against Taunt, because I am bad at predicting stuff and wanted another coverage move. Likewise I decided against Focus Blast because when I have to win 20+ fights in a row, accuracy can easily screw you over. Dazzling Gleam can cover me against Dark types and I want to give Blastoise Aura Sphere, so that covers Fighting moves anyways.

For Blastoise, I am not planning to run a Rapid Spin set, mainly because its job is supposed to switch in on threats Alakazam can't handle. I already know I want at least one stab move and I want Aura Sphere and Ice Beam for coverage. For the stab move, the question is mainly between Surf and Water Spout. Water Spout is better then Surf as long as Blastoise has not lost more then one third of its health. On the other hand, since he's supposed to be a switch in on trouble, losing more then a third of his health can reasonably be expected to happen...
The last move is probably going to be either Yawn or Protect, both can buy me a bit of time for Leftovers and Yawn can probably force a switch and/or allow me to switch safely.

It is pretty clear that my third mon will have to be one to deal with Special Defenders, since both of my others are Special Attackers. And it should obviously also have a fair bit of bulk. One thing I thought about was a Muk with Poison Jab, Brick Break, Curse and Shadow Sneak. Muk has pretty good HP, Attack and Special Defense and Curse can further boost both Attack and Defense. Shadow Sneak can help with the aweful Speed, especially after a few Curses. Poison Jab is for a strong STAB with good Accuracy, and if I'd manage to get a Muk with Poison Touch, it has a 51% chance to poison the target. Brick Break can help with Steel types, which are the main problem for Muk, since they are Immune to Poison and it removes Screens if I need to. And since it's a Poison type, I can give it Black Sludge, which is neat, since I only have a single Leftovers
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:36 pm

d_what wrote:Oh! That reminds me. How do you disable them? Every time anyone posts I get another message in my University's SPAM folder and it gets annoying, since I had them disabled to begin with... And then they started reappearing one day. I can select not to watch the topic all I like or click the link in the email and I STILL end up subscribed.

i think there's an option in your profile. or something. you can always uncheck "notify me when a reply is posted" too.

EDIT: or i'll just change it for you. you shouldn't be getting any more emails about thread replies now.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:46 pm

iT, you're behind the times. Classes have been over for me for over a month now.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 pm

(One more day of classes)
(Well, one more half-day)
(yay exams)
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:01 pm

As a note, I noticed I already have a male Muk with Poison Touch so breeding a Muk shouldn't be too hard, even moreso if you consider how many 5 IV pokemons I have in the amorph egg group
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next