Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeons and Dragons at Pokemon Quarantine - Help and Signup - DungeonBot now active!!!

+5
Spark Eletran
Xaber
OverlordJ
Hanky Panky
Hytheter
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dungeons and Dragons at Pokemon Quarantine - Help and Signup - DungeonBot now active!!! Empty Dungeons and Dragons at Pokemon Quarantine - Help and Signup - DungeonBot now active!!!

Post by Hytheter Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:47 pm

They want the D... and D.

Ok folks, this thread will stand as a central place to organise any DnD sessions that may or may not take place in future. This OP in particular will stand as a one-stop repository of helpful resources and explanations for everyone to use.
Remember, most of this post is written under the assumption that most of you have little to no experience with DnD, while I am fairly knowledgeable (except in 4th ed). If anything comes across as cocky or condescending that's not my intent; I'm just trying to be clear and understand...able? (bad start...) And to make sure you guys know that I'm here to help.

Current/Upcoming Games
We now have enough interest to get organised I think.
We Will be Playing Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. Level 1 Characters with 30 Point Buy for Ability Scores(see character creation post). I (Hytheter) will DM.
Currently interested players:
OverlordJ - Warlock or Dread Necromancer
Hanky Panky (tentative) - Beguiler
Xaber: Tallis Windlayer, Elf Ranger
Spark Elektran - Maybe Monk
DicksMcgee: Aella Hollyswood, Half-Elf Rogue
Dregadude - Undecided
Other players welcome, though we're pushing the boundary; we may break into two groups if necessary (but I doubt it will come to that)
All that's left is for everyone to create characters and decide on a time. Feel free to nominate potential dates. For example... next Friday? who's available then? Who isn't?

The Medium
Until further notice, we'll be playing via IRC - specifically the channel #pqdnd on the Mibbit server.
How to Connect to the Channel via Mibbit:
DungeonBot:

The System
The main choices we have are DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, and Dnd 4th Ed. I have a significant preference for 3.5 and especially Pathfinder but I'll run through the pros and cons of each and see what you guys have to say.
System Rundown:

Signing Up
...which sounds more formal than it is; this is just an interest check. Anyone who wants to play, just post with the following details:
the details that are to follow:

Helpful Links:
Heroes of Hyrule within:

So then what?
Find out who wants to play, and when we can all do it. Then its a matter of creating characters (more on that later), getting on IRC at the chosen time and playing some DnD!

My current plan (which may be subject to change) is to DM myself and craft a simple campaign that will walk you guys through all the rules. That way we can get right into playing without having to explain so much beforehand (though some will still be necessary). In the same vein, unless people particular want to do it all themselves I can make your character sheets for you based on what you want to play. Making a character can be intimidating when you don't even know all the rules, and I think it'd be smoother to put all the numbers and words in and explain as they come up rather than trying to get you to take in everything at once.

Regardless, I'm going to write up a simple overview of the rules and put them in posts anyway so that you can read up and get some idea, if not a total understanding. And of course I'm not actively discouraging you from making a character yourself, but don't forget that I'm here for advice, either here or on the IRC channel. Have a character concept but don't know how to execute it? Don't understand a game concept? Need to know whether a feat is worth taking? Just ask.

[I'm gonna do the rest in the next two posts since I don't know how much can fit in one post, so don't post just yet]

Last edited by Hytheter on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 am; edited 7 times in total
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Dungeons and Dragons at Pokemon Quarantine - Help and Signup - DungeonBot now active!!! Empty Re: Dungeons and Dragons at Pokemon Quarantine - Help and Signup - DungeonBot now active!!!

Post by Hytheter Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 pm

A Quick How To Play for new Players

Here I hope to cover the most important recurring aspects of DnD 3.5/Pathfinder so that you guys have some idea of whats happening and it will also be necessary for character creation if you want to do it yourself.

The Most Important thing - Players and the DM
I mean, obviously players are important.
The DM or Dungeon Master (Also called Game Master or GM) however is what holds everything together. He's the one who runs the game, controlling NPCs and enemies, describing whats happening and making the plot happen, all while trying to accommodate the wants and actions of the players. He has a lot of responsibility but also a lot of Power. In DnD the DM is a stern but generally benevolent god.
DM Responsibilities:
DM Power:

The Second Most Important Thing - the d20 Check
The underlying foundation of Dungeons and Dragons and many derivative games is the d20 'check'. This is where you roll a twenty sided dice or d20, add relevant modifiers, and hope that you beat the Difficulty Class (DC) of the task you are trying to accomplish. These things can go under different names (eg Attack Roll vs AC) but the principle is the same.
Sidebar - Bonuses and Stacking:

Parts of a Character
These are the Basic Parts of every Character that you'll need to know about. Listed roughly in order of importance.
Race and Class:
Level and Experience:
Abilities, Ability Scores and Ability Modifiers:
HP or Hit Points:
AC or Armor Class:
BAB or Base Attack Bonus:
Saves:
Skills:
CMB and CMD:
Feats, Spells, Class Features, Racial Features and other Miscellaneous Abilities:

Combat
The bulk of the actual DnD rules (though not necessarily playing itself) revolve around combat. These are the main elements of combat, listed roughly in order of occurence.
Note: For a detailed breakdown try here (for Pathfinder) or here (for 3.5).
Roll for Initiative:
Surprise! The Surprise Round and First Round:
Rounds, Turns and Actions:
Movement and the Grid:
Attacking:
Threatening and Attacks of Opportunity:
Spells:
Advanced Combat Techniques:

Outside of Combat
Non-combat situations are usually dealt with through a combination of Skill checks and free-form roleplay. You don't need to roll to decide whether you succeed on basic things like walking through a door, but you may need to succeed on a Diplomacy check to convince the guards to let you in.

Dying and Death
If you ever drop to 0 health points or less you fall unconcious and begin dying. When you are dying, your health slowly decreases until you either stabilise or reach -10 HP - when you reach -10 HP by any means you straight up die.
If you die, you aren't necessarily out of the game. There are a couple of options:
In case of emergency, break glass:

And that's all the basics and some other helpful stuff. Obviously there are many more details, but that's the gist of what you need to play. If you wanna know more check out the SRDs I've linked. The next post will be a guide to creating characters, including expanded information on skills, spells and feats.

Last edited by Hytheter on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Dungeons and Dragons at Pokemon Quarantine - Help and Signup - DungeonBot now active!!! Empty Re: Dungeons and Dragons at Pokemon Quarantine - Help and Signup - DungeonBot now active!!!

Post by Hytheter Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 pm

So You Want To Be An Adventurer? - Character Creation and Levelling

This post will be a rough guide to creating and levelling your character. The SRD's already have similar things, but I also want to fit in some other information as we go. So let's go.

Character Creation
Step 1 - Character Sheet:
Step 2 - Race, Class and Concept:
Sidebar - Race Overview:
Sidebar - Class Overview:
Sidebar - Favored Classes:
Step 3 - Ability Scores and Modifiers:
Step 4 - Skills:
Step 5 - Feats:
Step 6 - Spells (if applicable):
Step 7 - Basic But Important Numbers and Stats:
Step 8 - Equipment:
Step 9 - Fluff and Flavour:

Ding! Level Up
Whenever you reach a particular amount of experience, your level increases. The process for levelling is much like the process for creating your character, except with much of the particulars already decided for you.
Update Stats:
Increase Ability Scores:
Skills:
New Feats:
New Spells:
Advanced:

Planning Ahead
It's usually a good idea to have some idea where you're going and what choices you'll be making in future. This serves a few purposes:
- It speeds up the levelling process, wince you already know what you want instead of having to decide right then
- It let's you make decisions not based on what you are, but what you will be; if you want to take the Improved Trip feat, you'll need to take Combat Expertise first.
- It let's you define your character concept even before you get the skills to pull it off. Sure, you don't have the skills of a master assassin yet, but you can think of yourself as one, or at least an aspiring one.

Last edited by Hytheter on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:25 pm

i will consider creating a character. i recommend 3.5 because of its prevalence.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 am

My Opening Posts are complete for now. Hope they're helpful!
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:47 am

They are helpful.

I'd vote for 3.5 myself.

Both systems are much more complicated then 4e but the fact that 3.5 has good online sources IS an important fact.

I'm no fan of d20 SRD, especially since I can't seem to find a good list of all races there and their definition of Evil highly infuriates me. D&D Tools seems helpful.

I found a neat thing about the stats by the way

Spoiler:

Also, I was thinking about playing a Tiefling and I see that they have LA in 3.5 apparently. Can you perhaps explain what exactly that does? You only said it's supposed to balance but you didn't explain HOW
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:42 am

Ok so LA means that even though you're level 1, you can't as being a higher level. Say a race has a +2 LA; that means they count as Level 3 for experience purposes (and makes them ineligible in campaigns starting at level 1 or 2). Racial Hit Die also add to this.

I don't know why the Evil definition ifnuriates you, d20 SRD only uses the official text from the official System Reference Document...

edit: It looks like Tieflings mostly have LA because of their Extra Ability Score bonus and maybe their elemental resistances. For 3.5 I'd say you can waive the LA by picking either the Int or Dex bonus. They can fit in with Pathfiner races without problem since they also get extra boosts, but the trend so far (you and Hanky) seems to be tending towards 3.5.
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:59 am

Hytheter wrote:Ok so LA means that even though you're level 1, you can't as being a higher level. Say a race has a +2 LA; that means they count as Level 3 for experience purposes (and makes them ineligible in campaigns starting at level 1 or 2). Racial Hit Die also add to this.

I don't know why the Evil definition ifnuriates you, d20 SRD only uses the official text from the official System Reference Document...

I don't quite get how counting as a higher level is a bad thing...

Also
""Evil" implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master."
Yeah, as an Evil guy, no idea why this angers me.
While I dislike hwo the 4e simplified the alignment system, let me look up what they say about Evil: "Evil characters don't necessarily go out of their way to hurt people, but they're perfectly willing to take advantage of the weakness of other to acquire what they want.
Evil characters use rules and order to maximize personal gain. They don't care whether laws hurt other people. They support insitutional structures that give them power, even if that power comes at the expense of the freedom of others. Slavery and rigid caste structures are not only acceptable but desirable to evil characters, as long as they are in a position to benefit from the order they provide."
Now, as a quick reminder, 4e sort of puts Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil and the more mellow members of Chaotic Evil all in this category.

Do you see the difference? Between someone who's selfish and willing to use the weakness of others as opposed to a guy who's at best heartless and has no trouble killing and at worst does that just for the heck of it?

Hytheter wrote:edit: It looks like Tieflings mostly have LA because of their Extra Ability Score bonus and maybe their elemental resistances. For 3.5 I'd say you can waive the LA by picking either the Int or Dex bonus. They can fit in with Pathfiner races without problem since they also get extra boosts, but the trend so far (you and Hanky) seems to be tending towards 3.5.

Could you maybe tell me where you got those informations from? I am using these DnD Tools you linked and there seems to be quite a few things that they don't list for certain classes and races.

Also, I was unaware of their elemental resistance in 3.5, the DnD tools said nothing about that...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:41 am

OverlordJ wrote:I don't quite get how counting as a higher level is a bad thing...
It means you level up slower, so you don't gain Class Features as quickly. This is bad, because the bonuses from your race are usually vastly inferior to class features. Also, while your effective level is increased, your true character level isn't, meaning you don't get HP, ability score increases feats or Skills that Levelling normally provides. So the Tiefling would miss 1 hit die worth of HP, a levels worth of Skills, a level worth of class features, won't earn feats until a level after his Teammates etc. It's more noticeable with big LAs of course; a Vampire gets some pretty good bonuses but he'll be nothing compared to his level 9 teammates with many times as many feats, skills and health.
And again, since characters with LA are always at least level 2 or more, they can't be used in campaigns that start below that. So if you want to play Tiefling, everyone else has to start at level 2 or you can't play.

Could you maybe tell me where you got those informations from? I am using these DnD Tools you linked and there seems to be quite a few things that they don't list for certain classes and races.

Also, I was unaware of their elemental resistance in 3.5, the DnD tools said nothing about that...

Yeah, I should have mentioned that DnD tools is very useful for Feats, Spells and Classes, the site isn't complete, and lacks certain things especially for races.
That's when d20 SRD is superior, but it doesn't have all the non-core races, because a lot of them aren't on the SRD. You'll have to search for those elsewhere. Tiefling is SRD, but it's technically a monster I think, so you'll find it under the relevant section. This is the SRD for Planetouched, which includes Aasimar and Tieflings. d20 has a searchbar remember; I searched Tiefling and that was the first result.
I also probably should've been less dismissive of DnD Wiki; while a lot of it is shitty homebrew, any page that has "SRD:" in the title is usable content, and its a little more search friendly than d20 SRD sometimes.
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Hmm, I am not as interested in Tieflings now, they are VERY different from their 4e counter parts and don't quite fit what I was hoping to play as.

Honestly, there races and classes are all WAY more confusing then they are in 4e, though maybe that's because I'm trying to find all the information on the web instead of looking in a book...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, what are you hoping to play as? I may be able to help you out.
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:25 pm

1) I usualy go for a caster class or something similar. I did play a few assassines but that's a different story.

2) Okay, so, before you get angry or anything, the two classes that currently interesst me the most are the Warlock, which is a pretty interessting class in 4e and seems pretty neat in 3.5 as well but the big problem is that the page linked does NOT contain any of their "spells" (spellike abilities, whatever) and the other class needs a fair bit of charisma to work well, which 3.5 Tieflings obviously DON'T have that much (As opposed to 4e Tieflings who actually always have a +2 BONUS to CHA as opposed to a -2 penality). The class I am talking about is the Dread Necromancer by the way and I know, this might sound a bit bad but come on. They turn into Lichlords. I always wanted to be a Lichlord and the closest thing I know in 4e is the Archlich Epic Destiny which IS pretty awesome, don't get me wrong, but you need to get to level 21 before you can even THINK about turning your caster into a Lich. With the Dread Necromancer, the whole thing beginns as early as SECOND LEVEL. I mean, sure, you're not a proper Lich untill you reach Level 20 but screw it, I wouldn't have been an Archlich untill Level 21 and while I think that the Archlich got some REALLY neat stuff, again, it's an epic destiny. Untill you reach level 21 there would have been NO sign of you turning undead AT ALL.

Okay, so maybe I just really want to play as someone trying to turn into a Lich.

Yeah, that's basically what I want to play.

A nonhuman humanoid, if possible medium sized, without any INT or CHA penalities and maybe even bonuses if possible and hey, if they got Darkvision, that'd be even better, who is a spellcaster and who is trying to obtain imortality by becoming a Lich.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:37 pm

A quick google search turned up this list of invocations: http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/warlock-invocations

Dread Necro is interesting. Might be a troublesome team player in-character, but I'm sure it could work.

Not many races in 3.5 seem to boost Charisma. Apparently there's something called a Star Elf that boosts it for no LA. Aasimar boosts it, but does have LA and doesn't really fit the them of either class (since they're half-celestial).

I found a list of non LA races and the stats they boost here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1078216
It doesn't give all the info on them though. You'll have to search for those; DnD 3.5 has a lot of content but sometimes its obscure and hard to find.

I'd seriously consider Humans though, bonus feats are awesome. Halfling is good too; as a caster you don't want to be hit and you can't wear armor, so being small and dextrous won't hurt. It's not like you're using your Strength anyway either. Or Gnome, for similar survival purposes.

Pathfinder had CHA boosting races in core, but no Dread Necromancer. Although Clerics and Wizards/Scorecers can fullfil a similar purpose depending on the spells they select in either system; Clerics actually learn Animate Dead before the DN, and Pathfinder gives them an Archetype for Undead Controlling.

Both games have a Lich Template that lets you become a Lich regardless of class (though you have to be a caster), which may be worked into the story somehow, much lower than Level 20. It has a Level Adjustment though in 3.5, and we'd probably have to work out a way to balance it in Pathfinder lest you outshine your companions.
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:37 am

if I made a character, it'd be a non-elf race. class would be kind of a sorcerer-rogueish type with a focus on illusion magic more than anything else. like a magical thief? probably gnome.

i don't want to have to prepare spells so wizard is out. strength isn't a hugely important stat for me in most games. i would probably have a weapon that works off my dexterity stat anyway.

espionage/utility character rather than one focused on being able to carry a fight.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:25 am

Hanky Panky that sounds exactly like a Beguiler, or maybe a Bard.
Beguilers have lots of skills, and a limited splll list focusing on Illusion and manipulation. They don't have to prepare or even choose spells - they always have full access to their spell list. They're basically rogues + spells - sneak attack. Oh, and they aren't as good at combat, since they only have half BAB instead of 3/4. Still, it sounds like precisely the thing you want.
Bards can pull it off too, since their spell list gives them some illusion and manipulation too. The beguiler is better at spellcasting (and skills, since they cast using Int which increases skill points), but the Bard is better at fighting.
Halfling and Gnome would be good since small creatures get bonuses to sneaking. Halfling is probably better due to the increased dexterity.

If you want to key attacks off Dex you'll need a feat called weapon finesse, and you still use STR for damage usually. But the beguiler usually has ways to avoid fighting altogether.

If you just want a mundane stealthy character (as in no spells) use Rogue, or maybe Ninja in Pathfinder.

That's casters and skill-monkey covered, hopefully someone else wants to play a fighter-type. Razz
You guys are turning into a pretty shady crew, we might have to play a non-good campaign... Paladins as enemies? I can get behind that.
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:49 am

Hytheter wrote:A quick google search turned up this list of invocations: http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/warlock-invocations

Dread Necro is interesting. Might be a troublesome team player in-character, but I'm sure it could work.

Not many races in 3.5 seem to boost Charisma. Apparently there's something called a Star Elf that boosts it for no LA. Aasimar boosts it, but does have LA and doesn't really fit the them of either class (since they're half-celestial).

I found a list of non LA races and the stats they boost here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1078216
It doesn't give all the info on them though. You'll have to search for those; DnD 3.5 has a lot of content but sometimes its obscure and hard to find.

I'd seriously consider Humans though, bonus feats are awesome. Halfling is good too; as a caster you don't want to be hit and you can't wear armor, so being small and dextrous won't hurt. It's not like you're using your Strength anyway either. Or Gnome, for similar survival purposes.

Pathfinder had CHA boosting races in core, but no Dread Necromancer. Although Clerics and Wizards/Scorecers can fullfil a similar purpose depending on the spells they select in either system; Clerics actually learn Animate Dead before the DN, and Pathfinder gives them an Archetype for Undead Controlling.

Both games have a Lich Template that lets you become a Lich regardless of class (though you have to be a caster), which may be worked into the story somehow, much lower than Level 20. It has a Level Adjustment though in 3.5, and we'd probably have to work out a way to balance it in Pathfinder lest you outshine your companions.

Hmm, say, what about a Pixie? They are small and their speed and Strength aren't all that much but they got both INT and CHA bonus and if the linked page isn't wrong they have no LA plus they got some pretty awesome DEX. And that I can't use as many weapons isn't that big a deal for a caster, right? Though the page also says something about ELC and low hit dice, so I'm a little confused...

Also, Dread Necromancer CAN use armour, thought they get in trouble with their spells if it isn't light armour.

Hmm, What do you think about the Underfolk?

Oh also, I saw some really awesome feats. I figured that maybe using those might be a bit much but if we are considering doing a non-good campaign, what are your thoughts on "Vile" Feats, more specifically the ones based onWilling Deformity?

EDIT: Never mind about pixies, apparently it was just that the page didn't have all the info, this one lists various abilities and a LA of either +4 or even +6, so that's not an option
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaber Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:43 am

Right. May as well sign up. I'm available almost all of the time over the next 2 months. After that I'll have school and won't be able to play very much. I don't mind what system, since I'm pretty unfamiliar with all of them. I'd rather not DM. For a character, I'd like to play a True Neutral archer ranger, probably as some kind of elf.
Xaber
Xaber
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:12 am

I'll probably join too though this all seems really complicated and all
I'm thinking of just being a human monk (and xaber suggested chaotic good)

Also Nelly wants to join too and she said she'll be like a chaotic neutral half-elf Rogue yeah
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:23 pm

If I get time to figure this all out, I also would like to join. I don't really care what I end up being, so I suppose I'll wait and see what's needed.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by DicksMcgee Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm joining! I can be here about every day but Thursdays and every other weekend. I started making a character, I picked out a name, class, and race, but uhhhh how do I stat help plz. (I'm good at the roleplaying, but not really the mathing)

Oh! Also I'm gonna be a Half-Elf Rogue.
DicksMcgee
DicksMcgee
Cooltrainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:27 pm

True Neutral Gnome Beguiler sounds fine with me. But keep in mind that i'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm actually playing. I'll be working close to 40 hours a week and taking college courses full-time come January. Plus, I'll have MTG and my own DnD playgroup to take care of.

Feel free to build an NPC based off of what I would run, though. And yes, I was thinking that the skill was called weapon finesse. Although I have seen it that certain kinds of weapons get their base damage from different stats. A lot of games have it that knives and daggers proc on dex rather than str

my dude would be in on the campaign solely for the money, but eventually he would probably realize that these people are his friends or some sappy shit like that. Of course, he could always come across a really nice profit and just disappear from the campaign entirely.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DicksMcgee Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Also have a thing from yesterday. I used a generator to make an NPC for fun and...
[00:11:14 13/12/13] DicksMcgee : So I generated an NPC and got a pretty compelling motivation

[00:11:18 13/12/13] DicksMcgee : Primary motivation: A deep fear of the Good. The character is terrified, and will act out of fear.
[00:11:29 13/12/13] DicksMcgee : Explain to me what the Good is please
[00:11:54 13/12/13] Spark Eletran : i dont know but if i had to guess just good itself????
[00:11:59 13/12/13] Spark Eletran : like good actions make him scared
[00:13:28 13/12/13] DicksMcgee : Who is this guy
[00:13:30 13/12/13] DicksMcgee : Satan
[00:14:33 13/12/13] Spark Eletran : yes
[00:14:42 13/12/13] Spark Eletran : precisel
[00:14:44 13/12/13] Spark Eletran : y
[00:15:07 13/12/13] DicksMcgee : If Satan is your average NPC, this is gonna be a good roleplay.
DicksMcgee
DicksMcgee
Cooltrainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 pm

btw nelly you got ninja'd i said you were joining before you did mspa

also i had forgot completely about mr satan the npc
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:01 am

edit: Also, I should mention for everyone that I will endeavour to stay on the IRC channel. That's a good place to ask for advice if you spot me.
On that note, can everyone connect? It'd be a good idea to make sure you know how to join the channel. Tell me if you're having any trouble.

DicksMcgee wrote:how do I stat help plz. (I'm good at the roleplaying, but not really the mathing)

Oh! Also I'm gonna be a Half-Elf Rogue.

Ok, I think for ability scores we'll use point buy. Let's say... 30 points?

use this: http://tools.digitalightbulb.com/pbcalc.html
scroll down to DnD, then decide what scores you want, and make sure they add up to 30 points.

For a rogue you'll probably want to focus on Dexterity, so make that high. Charisma can help if you want to be a party face/social manipulator, and it also allows rogues to use magical devices better. Intellegence can be helpful for skills, but you'll have lots of skill points already. Wisdom isn't that good unless you want to invest in perception. Strength isn't really important for damage since you have sneak attack. Constitution is always good.
So In order of importance I think Dex > Con > Cha > Wis/Int > Str
This spread should serve:
10 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 10 WIS, 14 CHA
But feel free to play around with the point-buy calculator and get something more to your liking. With that spread you may need to get Weapon Finesse or focus on ranged attacks to make sure you can hit things.

Spark Eletran wrote:I'll probably join too though this all seems really complicated and all
I'm thinking of just being a human monk (and xaber suggested chaotic good)

Also Nelly wants to join too and she said she'll be like a chaotic neutral half-elf Rogue yeah

Monks have to be Lawful, so you can't be a chaotic good Monk.
In case you were wondering, Monks should focus on Wisdom, Dexterity and Strength.

OverlordJ wrote:
Oh also, I saw some really awesome feats. I figured that maybe using those might be a bit much but if we are considering doing a non-good campaign, what are your thoughts on "Vile" Feats, more specifically the ones based onWilling Deformity?

Seems more flavourful than useful, but not certainly not terrible.

If you go with Dread Necromancer an awesome feat is Tomb Tainted Soul. Since you have an unlimited negative energy touch it will let you heal yourself to full health between encounters. It becomes a waste when you actually turn undead though. It may also frustrate your allies that they have to use spells and healing potions while you selfishly heal yourself all day. Razz
I think that's how it works anyway. DnD Tools isn't working atm so I can't confirm.

Xaber wrote:Right. May as well sign up. I'm available almost all of the time over the next 2 months. After that I'll have school and won't be able to play very much. I don't mind what system, since I'm pretty unfamiliar with all of them. I'd rather not DM. For a character, I'd like to play a True Neutral archer ranger, probably as some kind of elf.

Not a bad choice for a ranger at all. The standard Elf boosts Dexterity, which archers want.
Surprisingly, you actually may want some Strength too. Archers sometimes use bows that add Str to damage. Wis is good for spells and perception, and tracking which Rangers are good at.

Dregadude wrote:If I get time to figure this all out, I also would like to join. I don't really care what I end up being, so I suppose I'll wait and see what's needed.

You could go a Fighter or Barbarian, since the Monk is currently the only Melee Fighter (undead army notwithstanding). Alternately, the party lacks innate healing so a Cleric wouldn't go astray. Paladin combines those roles, but you may have some issues with the party...
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:47 am

Whoa Ok there are a few people online right now, so I'm going to ask, is this approximate time good for people on most days? For reference I think that's... 4:00am GMT?
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next