Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

+19
variegatedDreamraptor
Captain
Hanky Panky
Hytheter
Sandstriker
ilikeoctopus
muffinz
Spark Eletran
PunchesMalone
d_what
tinning3
kotakun
Dregadude
cephalopodAscendant
Druplesnubb
phantasmalDexterity
NinteNerd
OverlordJ
Gelatino
23 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 34 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by d_what Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Guys, I was thinking... Month left. If I choose to go spoiler free now, the game hasn't been ruined yet and I still have shot at making it. I don't really mind what Chespin turns into, and I'd like flabebe's evolution (if any) to be a surprise... Mostly evolution spoilers if I'm honest. I think I should try. Opinions? Can I get you guys to screen info?

(For example if I listed a team could you guys say 'yes' or 'no' based on type redundancies without going into specifics.)
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 34 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm

im sure i wont go spoiler free... YET. As soon as I start playing that game, though, I'll start trying not to get spoiled, unless I take a reaaaally long time to play it.
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I was hoping to not spoil too much for myself (as I did with gen 5), but was wondering about type balance... Though I guess it doesn't matter too much in-game.

I'm backing d_what in this; it's a great idea if you guys are willing to help!
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I want as many spoilers as I can get about all the new features and Pokémon. I'm going to do my best to avoid plot spoilers, though. If you guys want to avoid all spoilers from here on out, I'd suggest avoiding this thread, though, since it's kind of the best-suited place for them. I'm definitely willing to help y'all out with team balance, though.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:29 pm

I'll greedily devour any and all pre-release information released, (not counting huge unintentional leaks like what happened in gen 5,) but after X/Y come out, I'll try to go into them with no knowlege of them aside from what was intentionally told to the public beforehand.
However, I still have no idea whether I'll get X or Y. We don't know anything about the plot differences yet, I don't use any legendaries so the cover legendaries(and the two mewtwotwos too, of course) don't affect my decision, I'm neutral to Clauncher and Skrelp, and for the fairy-type version duo, I like Spritzee more now but I'm worried it won't turn out very good, and I'm not a fan of Swirlix much but I'm hopeful it'll turn into something really neat... and I doubt any more version-exclusives will be released pre-release. So, I have no idea which version I want more at the moment. Maybe I could get someone who doesn't care about spoilers to look up a list of version-exclusives and tell me about them, or something. ...No wait, that's a stupid idea.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Pretty much everything I've seen that I want (except maybe the squid pokemon, which I think is in X) has made me want Y more, so I'm sorted. The problem is, being strapped on funds and not yet working, I can't guarantee when I'll be able to get it. Spoilers might be par for the course, unfortunatly.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Inkay and Malamar are not version-exclusive, as far as we know. If we find out otherwise, that'll naturally be my sole deciding factor.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Ugh, I really want to preorder by tomorrow. If Malamar is revealed to be version exclusive to X afterwards I will be so pissed.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:18 pm

my only problem with avoiding spoilers will end up being the fact that first of all it might take a while for my copy to get here cause yeah

and i guess when october 12th comes ill probably stop reading this thread? and... also serebii... yeah. Funny thing is that Diamond was really the only game I played like truly blind since it was my first Pokémon game... So this is gonna be an interesting experience.

I also plan on doing something else that's different for me: I usually plan out my team beforehand, by looking at what kinds of Pokémon I can find, types, stats and all, since the games come out in Japan first... But this time, since that won't happen, I'll just try to like, literally catch every Pokémon I find cool at all. And then, try using them. My only team members that are really planned and just "MUST HAVE" so far are Chespin and probably Charmander, I mean... Well, yeah. This is gonna definitely be... new for me. Let's see how it works out...
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I tried planning my team out ahead of time for Black 2, but it didn't really work because I was counting on the Tympole line being available before the Elite 4. Apart from maybe my Unfezant, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. At the moment, my envisioned team for X/Y is Froakie, Bulbasaur, Inkay, Fletchling, Spritzee, and Honedge, but it is open to change. Mostly. Inkay is a must, and Froakie and Bulbasaur are almost certain.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Chespin is definitive for me, UNLESS its final evolution ends up being revealed before the release and sucking really badly, like TERRIBLE. Charmander... Well I'll definitely pick it but... Pyroar is so cool and LION so I'm not sure which one am I gonna end up using???? aaaaah

What do you guys think? Should I go with the cool'n'old Charmander with an awesome Mega Evolution or the adorable new lion with a MAJESTICALLY EPIC evolution?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Well, even ignoring the fact what I think about Pyroark and MegaCharizard, I'd say go for Charizard, simply because it's a flying type. This might sound a bit odd but you should always have a flying type on your team, even if it's for no other reason then fast travle. Now with the added skybattles, having a powerful flying type will be more important then ever.

Plus, if you assume that Pyroark is indeed Fire/Dark

Fire/Flying:
Double Weak to Rock, Weak to Water and Electric
Resists Fighting, Steel and Fire
Double resists Bug and Grass
Is Immune to Ground
It'll also resist Fairy if I'm not mistaken

Fire/Dark:
Weak to Fighting, Ground, Rock and Water
Resists Ghost, Steel, Fire, Ice, Grass and Dark
Is Immune to Psychic
It'll also NOT resist Fairy, if I'm not mistaken, since Dark is weak to Fairy, so it cancels out with Fire.

All in all, I'd say go for Charizard.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:32 pm

I haven't decided whether I care about spoilers or not. For whatever reason, I rarely pick up a game right after it's released, but for Pokemon I might make an exception. If, when October rolls around, I'm unable to make big purchases like the $40 necessary for a game, (at least without getting a serious lecture from my parents about money management) then I'll look into some 6th gen spoilers. I'll definitely try to keep away from plot spoilers though.

As far as teambuilding, in B2 I ended up having a ragtag team of all the 'mons I liked for whatever reason, and the only rule I set myself was to not have any two Pokemon with the same type. At the end of the game I had three in the box that I deemed less powerful (Crustle, Unfezant, Lucario, and Krookodile) and had built up a pretty random team. (which coincidentally consisted of two Pokemon that now megavolve plus Lucario and one that's now part Fairy) I was pretty happy with the "catch what you like, no two of same type" strategy. I felt like an Ace Trainer.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 am

"Catch what you like, no two of same type" is basically my standart strategy. It just seems like the most fun way to handle the game.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 am

muffinz wrote:So I guess the stinger-shaped bit of fluff on the end of Litleo's tail was a total red herring that didn't actually mean anything. Well dang. That's kinda disappointing.
the "stinger shape" was probably more meant to resemble a small flame, honestly.

in other news i may not get to play pokemon x/y until a few days after it's released
sad times

Last edited by Hanky Panky on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:23 am

Yeah, that's probably what they were trying to get across.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 am

Hanky Panky wrote:
muffinz wrote:So I guess the stinger-shaped bit of fluff on the end of Litleo's tail was a total red herring that didn't actually mean anything. Well dang. That's kinda disappointing.
the "stinger shape" was probably more meant to resemble a small flame, honestly.
Honestly, I thought so myself. That doesn't change the fact that it got me excited when I realized that the tail looks a bit like a stinger. But oh well, to late to change it now.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am

Chespin confirmed for knight! Awesome. Love the X in Fennekin's name, too. And furfrou? Hilarious. Also - female pyroar. Brilliant. And it took me this long to figure out what meowstic(k)'s name meant :/
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 am

d_what wrote:Chespin confirmed for knight!
huh?
maybe my english skills suck, but what was the confirmation.

Some cool screenshots. So many customization options.

Also, we're getting closer to find out which fossil is Spark.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by willPowered Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 am

phantasmalDexterity wrote:
d_what wrote:Chespin confirmed for knight!
huh?
maybe my english skills suck, but what was the confirmation.

Some cool screenshots. So many customization options.

Also, we're getting closer to find out which fossil is Spark.
Quilladin: Quill - Palladin

Also the types seemingly have gained some abstract immunities.
Grass is immune to poison powder, sleep powder, stun spore and spore.
Electric is immune to all forms of paralyze, not just from thunder wave.
Ghost is immune to trapping moves.
willPowered
willPowered
Youngster

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 am

oh yeah, palladin. That's a thing.
I was keep thinking it's aladdin.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am

Since the Fighter/Mage/Thief theme seems to be confirmed, here's my guess on the types of the final starter evolutions: Chespin will become Grass/Fighting, Fennekin will become Fire/Psychic, and Froakie will become Water/Dark. Because the common theory of Grass/Dark and Water/Fighting don't really fit with Knight Chespin and Thief Froakie, especially with Quilladin's name riffing off paladin (one L only, guys), who are almost always supposed to be good-aligned. Now for some random stuff from the official site. Whoever was hoping for Fire/Dark Pyroar, sorry to disappoint you, but Serebii reports that it's Fire/Normal like Litleo. Also, remember that screenshot of Pokémon Bank that gave Magnezone a female icon? It's been replaced with one that shows Magnezone as genderless. Furfrou gets the new attack Baby-Doll Eyes, a Fairy-type Quick Attack that can lower the target's Attack. Tyrunt is revived from the Jaw Fossil, while Amaura requires the Sail Fossil. Mewtwo X gets boosted Attack and the Steadfast ability. Mega Garchomp gets buffs to both Attack and Special Attack, but its Speed drops slightly. We also get a look at the Team Flare admins, although we still don't really know what their goal is. It seems like making videos might be the new contests. There's probably a lot more that I've overlooked, but those are the big ones.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:29 pm

like i've said before, i don't go actively looking for spoilers. when hanging around places like this, i usually catch wind of them without even trying... or by stumbling into it via random youtube browsing. i do want to avoid spoilers that aren't simply new pokemon or game mechanics, though.

however, when x/y comes out, i'll wait a week or so, then look through its pokedex on bulbapeia and lay out my team; pick my six favorite 'mons and then do my best to get them all before the E4. on that note, i don't even try for balance on in-game teams. it's not like the game is difficult at all. my general rule is that i need one water and one flying type, anything after that is fair game [though i do try for electric and ground, possibly followed by grass[fave types, yo]].

lastly, holy balls this gen is changing the metagame A LOT.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:43 pm

It is changing it a lot and I don't like it, though I assume you already figured that out.

Also, if Pyroark is indeed Normal, my vote goes even more strongly to Charizard.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm

YES

I KNEW BEING A SIXTH GEN FOSSIL WOULD BE GOOD

i'm a fuckin t-rex HEAR ME ROAR

Anyways sweet I guess the RPG Trio is confirmed. (Hell yes best starter theme they could've ever thought of) And really, seeing Quilladin move... It's not actually that bad, just a bit chubbier than we'd expect from just seeing Chespin. But since it's gonna be sorta knight-ish, I'm already SURE it's gonna be awesome in its final form.

Also, about the types, while I agree that Fighting fits a Knight more and Dark a Thief... Just from looking at their designs alone, I'd say Frogadier looks more Fighting than Dark, and Quilladin more like it would become a Dark type.

And YES FEMALE PYROAR CONFIRMED (though the male looks MUCH more majestic mspa )

Meowstic... Ooooh I get it it's like Mystic but with meooow that makes more sense than Meowstick really

and now i just have to wait for people to find some pattern in the admin's names that might hint to a possible theme from team flare

Oh, and lastly... All those "sorta immunities" are really cool! They make each type even more... Like... Unique. Which is awesome!
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next