Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

+19
variegatedDreamraptor
Captain
Hanky Panky
Hytheter
Sandstriker
ilikeoctopus
muffinz
Spark Eletran
PunchesMalone
d_what
tinning3
kotakun
Dregadude
cephalopodAscendant
Druplesnubb
phantasmalDexterity
NinteNerd
OverlordJ
Gelatino
23 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 8 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by Hanky Panky Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 pm

actually now that i think about it i'm going to go with the guess that it's a physical fairy move. it would be a relatively safe way to show off more fairy type attacks without actually spilling too many beans.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 8 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Huh, I though I wrote a comment here, about how both physical psychic or fairy would make sense? Odd...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

LOOKS LIKE I BEAT YOU TO THE......

PUNCH!

HA HA HOO HOO HEE HEE OMG
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 pm

glow punch is a status move

despite the fact we saw it deal direct damage
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 pm

in spite of all the more serious banter here, i would like to comment about litleo's cry. it's just like
heeeeeeyooouuuuu ~ ;D <3
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:04 pm

I wonder what that attack Froakie was using was...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 am

MO analyzed the trailer.

Interesting stuff about the map of Kalos region.
Also, I'm so unobservant sometime.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:03 pm

"oblivion wing" is pretty much the coolest attack name ever.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Dive might come back? Neat!
I must also say, fishing in gen 3 was probably my favourite. Yeah, it was tricky but I liked it
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:03 pm

I remember hearing a lot of negative feedback about dive, but I always liked it. Not hearing any of it here though, so maybe it was just a small group of people.

The undersea music was always so calming, and I loved diving and exploring in that boat. There should be more explorable crashed boat wrecks with trainers in them.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm

I liked the whole undersea exploration part of R/S/E. However, I think that if they bring back Dive, it should be optional. Maybe some sidequests or a patch of grass full of hard-to-find pokemon. Kind of like Undella Bay. Entirely optional. Not required for plot advancement whatsoever.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 am

1.7 GB?
woah.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 am

phantasmalDexterity wrote:1.7 GB?
woah.

Damn, that's quite a bit...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:20 am

well they have to fit every single pokemon ever into the game
also the region is literally france i mean literally its a 1:1 scale between real france and kalos
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:26 am

I'm not all that surprised. With all the 3D graphics, over 700 (probably at least 750) Pokémon, who knows how many attacks, all the items, and whatever new features they're going to include, the games are going to need a lot of memory.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm not surprised at the current size. I always figured Pokemon would have quite a bit of different data types to store (probably all lookup tables, there's no way it's not a database format) and 3D models are pretty large, even without animation. What I'm surprised at is how small the other game are in comparison; BW must have been incredibly compressed!

Before the internet at large riots over the fact that they don't let you trade between two games on the same system, let me remind thee:
Pokemon has always always supported two player trades. They will never ever encourage one person trading alone - even if that sucks for users in the middle of comparative nowhere - except through oversights like the DP GTS glitch or the inter-send-ability of the older home console support games. Is that sucky? Yes. Ranch might have been useful had we been able to withdraw from a single set ofnmons from several games. Is it fair and sensible? Yes, it really is, despite that.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Honestly, I would have been surprised if they had let you trade between two games on the same system. It seems to me that both games would have to be active at the same time to trade, which would not work if both games are on the same 3DS. To let you trade between two games on the same system, they'd have to explicitly set up an alternate method to find the other save file in memory and start a trade with it. And since we have the ability to do wi-fi trades now, the isolation factor is significantly less important than it was in Gen III and earlier.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm not surprised at the size of the game. Hell, the remake of Persona 4 was 3.5gb and it didn't add too much more to the original game. 1.7gb is still kind of small.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:36 pm

As a future developer, I'd love to see how the memory is allocated. Battles and that shouldn't take much, since it's just a while bunch of references (e.g pokemon 1 from party - reference stats in look up table - do maths based on current Pokemon's IVs and EVs - enter damage formula, look up current for pokemon - done, next step. The actual storing of the looked-up data is the awkward part but Bulbapedia manage it and I imagine most of the heavy memory lifting is for recorded animations and 3D models. Things like 'I have 999 pokemon caught' and 'I have 372 of every item' are comparatively easy. Especially since we already know (and have known for a long time) how an individual Pokemon's data is stored. It's just a massive (and increasingly large, e.g for Pokeathlon stats and such) string of numbers.

I note that we have three comments in a row wherein people failcto express surprise. I for one am not surprised at this.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 pm

I was surprised, because B2W2 was what, 520 MB?
That's a pretty big increase in size.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 pm

I guess 700 sprites alone translated to 3D is quite a big step. I can forgive Gamefreak for the lack of 700 pokemon follower field models I GUESS.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:30 pm

BW2 also used sprites for nearly everything, as opposed to 3D models, which are significantly larger. And maybe they're actually using real music instead of MIDIs and soundfonts.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm

YEs real music is actually the thing I'm looking most forward to! Don't know what they were thinking with BW2's tracks... Experimenting, I think.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Well, I don't know how the music was in BW2 but I loved it in BW most of the time...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 pm

for me its just that im getting tired of soundfonts. Theyre nice and nostalgic but i cant think of any other games that i play that still use MIDIs and soundfonts.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next