Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 26 of 41 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 26 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by OverlordJ Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 am

What I loved about Contests was that you could actually breed and train a Pokemon for no other pupose then Contests. It was, as far as I know, the only real alternative to fighting.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Hey those of you in the US; apparently Target are doing a buy one get one 40% on 2DSs? That's 40%, not 40% off, which is pretty sweet. Bella abusable if you have a friend who wants to get one. I wish they had that deal here in some form, all of my friends want to get one but they're either just too much money or alternatively they don't want a 2DS (discontinuing the regular 3DS model may have been a bad idea).

Also Octi I was online twice yesterday for quite a while but your PSS icon was always busy. Turns out I have all the stuff you wanted except mew!
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Haha yeah I saw you online but was a bit busy for a while, sorry! I actually just managed this morning to GTS my way to the national dex by nabbing a Landorus, so shiny charm get!

Though I still don't have Diancie or Shaymin, those might be longer term goals.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:20 am

Two new leaked megas, guys! They're weird and awesome and unexpected and quirky, but I'll be honest, they look like actual evolutions. No way they'll be as useful as, for arguments sake, mega Ampharos.
One by virtue of it's definite uselessness compared to its regular form, the other because of the definite uselessness of it' previous form... yeah they're not gonna get used at all. Count on it.

Nice designs, though.

ALSO one of them is an Unova Pokemon. Which means... the floodgates have been opened. PREPARE  YOURSELVES FOR THE ONSLAUGHT oh god there's gonna be a mega Hydreigon/Haxorus/Volcarona/Chandelure isn't there plz no
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:22 am

Those look... weird...
Also, why do we have so many mega fairies?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 am

Well then. The first one looks almost like a fan parody of what its Mega would be. The second one looks more like a proper Mega, but I'm not sure why you'd want a Mega for it in the first place.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:53 am

The first one looks like a genuine evolution of the base (base) form. In fact I'm rather sad that's not the case, since nothing about it screams YES I DEFINITELY EVOLVE FROM THE THING I EVOLVE FROM". I like it, it's just a shitty excuse for a form change. The second one is to its base form as Blissey is to Chansey (more or less exactly so) which is another "damn, this Pokemon should have had an evolution" moment. My biggest gripe about Mega Evos, and it always has been, is that it cuts into the actual evolutions we'll get. I loved gen 4's evos. Many didn't, though, so this is probably a comeback for that.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 am

Actually, I agree, everytime a pokemon that isn't stage 3 gets a mega, it means we'll almost certainly never get an evolution from it, which saddens me. And yeah, the first looks like a parody and the second look like cA described. As if the connection between those two wasn't obvious enough already.

(Hey, d, read the card thread, please)
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:49 am

BAHAHA the first one just looks so nonplussed at what's happening to it I'm not even mad about it being a weird choice of mega
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:58 am

It reminds me a bit of Kangaskhan, since Slowbro itself seems unchanged, except Shellder got fed up with its shit and decided to eat it whole instead of just biting into the tail
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Well um okay! I've finally found the first megavolution that I actually have a lower-than-neutral opinion of. Mega Slowbro is just... it's just way too weird. It's got something so off and wrong about its design that I can't quite put my metaphorical finger on. Okay, for one thing, there's no way Slowbro's bulky, chubby lower body would ever possibly be able to fit inside that narrow cone of a shell. Seriously, look back at it for a second and try to imagine how its body looks inside the shell. Also, how does it stay upright? It doesn't look like it's levitating, and there's no way it'd be able to balance all that weight on such a comparatively-small tail.

also I think OARS is slowly approaching the "way too many megas" line, considering mega sharpedo/camerupt are still looking likely

Mega Audino on the other hand is completely adorable. I heard someone on another forum say that it looks like the Blissey to Audino's Chansey, and I think that's a pretty apt comparison. I know the site only mentions Defense/Sp.Defense boosts, but I'm hoping it'll get a little Sp.Attack too(at least up to 80 or so) so that it can actually do some damage. Something like 103/60/126/80/126/50 would be awesome.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:43 pm

mspa

d_what wrote:...The second one is to its base form as Blissey is to Chansey (more or less exactly so)...

...Thanks? 

Competitively, MegaAudino is... a niche pick, but then Audino DID get use in this year's VGCs, so maybe a Mega will help it along and there really aren't any doubles-suited Megas, so that's okay (though I still wish "regular evolution"). I agree though, Mega Slowbro doesn't really seem like Slowbro. If you told me this thing was a split Slowpoke evo, not only would I
believe you, I'd really like it? But it looks far more like a Slowpoke than a Slowbro, except for the Shellder, which... is consistent in all Slowpoke evos so it still isn't particularly relevant.

Regarding it battle-wise, with decent stats it will certainly have a niche as a Calm Mind mon - which there aren't really a lot of. My thought process is as follows:

Shell Armor: Only useful on defensive setup mons to deter hax.
Therefore, MegaBro must be a defensive setup mon.
Shell Armor isn't actually a terrible ability for a defensive setup mon.

The problem is, it patches one of it's weaknesses and leaves it wide open to everything else. Poor coverage, vulnerability to other calm minders, TOXIC and other status, phasing, mutual setup in general. There are a dozen better abilities it could have used, and anyway MBro trades in a lot of overall usability and variety in exchange for a single, rather iffy niche and a LOT of opportunity cost (i.e not running a better mega). On the other hand, it could still be a total defensive behemoth, what with reliable recovery, high def and access to Calm Mind, it's just... a lot of Pokemon have that and it's never been a real problem. Hell, Mega Aggron isn't even a real problem. I think we can handle Mr.Spinnytop.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Ok, WHAT.
Audino... eh. I mean, I like the design but they could have done SO much better. I do like the stethoscope thing though, that's a nice touch. I wonder how much EXP you'll get from killing one ingame?

MSala and MManectric are stupid-looking in a "so bad it's good" kind of way, but MSlowbro is stupid in a "so bad it's really actually dreadful" sort of way. Blargh, I don't like it at all. Jesus fuck, how much defense is this thing going to have???

invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Oh, I dunno. Again, I'd like it if it wasn't supposed to be somehow superior to the regular 'bro. And the idea of one part of an organism megavolving has a precedent in Mega Khan. It's just.

Shellder + Slowpoke
=
Evolved Shelder + Bigger Slowpoke.
Megaevolved =
Same thing, just shifted around a bit sizewise??? It's not how I would have done it anyway. I'd have megaEvolved the shell to massive proportions and have Slow- hidden underneath it being derpy.

edit: kinda like this 
General Chat: The Smashening - Page 26 Notmeg10
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Oh whoops sorry DW. I guess that's what I get for reading two separate forum threads talking about the same thing at once?
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:49 pm

I mean,,, what about Slowking? It's the same sort of thing that happened with Gallade. The twin Nintendo doesn't like gets left in a ditch a little bit. Now honestly I do like Slowbro more than Slowking, but it's a little disheartening to see him screwed over in the same way as one of my all time favorite Pokemon.

Last edited by invisibleTerrarium on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : There is no apostrophe in gets you complete dingus)
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:14 am

Um, Mega Slowbro has only been revealed for about... less than 24 hours? I don't see why one member of a duo getting a megavolution leaked immediately means the other one will never get to have one. For one thing, M-Mawile was in X/Y but M-Sableye wasn't added until ORAS, and this wasn't even an official reveal. I don't know if it will be in ORAS, but I feel like Slowking will probably get a mega at some point in the future and I'm like 95% sure Gallade will get one.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:05 pm

So today was the last day of my internship, which means I have free time again! ...Or it would if the fall semester didn't start Monday. At least I'll get to see my friends again after what feels like way too long.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Hey, any tips what EVs to use for a mixed Dragonite?

Also, would Dragon Dance + Fire Punch be better when dealing with defensive Steel types then Flamethrower, and if yes, what are good IVs for a physical Dragonite?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 pm

DDD (Dragon Dance Dragonite)
Ability: Multiscale (bc why would you use anything else)
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe or 252 Atk, 24 Def, 232 Spe
Item: Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
Moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage/Dragon Claw, Fire Punch, Extremespeed

This is a hard set to breed, especially for that Extremespeed, because the only way to get it is to transfer over the Dratini with Extremespeed you get from Clair in HGSS and use it to breed the egg move, but having Extremsepeed is really important. It means you can beat stuff like Talonflame, or any non Ghost Prankster.

Speaking of Ghost Pranksters, that's where your item comes in. The Lum Berry will get rid of any nasty burn or paralysis that your opponent will throw at you, allowing you to sweep like a frickin boss. Alternatively, Weakness Policy will bring your attack modifier to 2.5x after a Dragon Dance, which is nasty. The only thing to watch out for is a STAB Ice Beam from Greninja, or another strongly Special Ice type, because even with Multiscale, that will OHKO you. You'd need to fully invest HP or Special Defense basically (I Don't know the exact numbers) to guarantee surviving an Ice Beam, which you don't want.

As we're on EVs, the first set is if you're going for Lum Berry and Outrage, the second for Weakness Policy and Dragon Claw. The Defense EVs on the first set allow you to Minimise Sneaky Pebble damage by a fraction, which can sometimes be enough to win. The defense EVs on the second set mean that you can survive a banded Azumarill's Play Rough, whilst giving you enough Speed to outspeed Noivern after a Dragon Dance.

With that done, strategy! Your aim on the first turn is to DD straight off the bat. After that, you're all set to go. Your Dragon STAB will destroy pretty much anything and will most likely be your go to move against everything that shows its face. Extremsepeed is used instead for Fairies (who are immune to Dragon and who take more Damage from Extremespeed than Fire Punch, except if it's Klefki or Mawile) and anything that is still faster than Dragonite after a Dragon Dance (notably Talonflame and non Ghost Pranksters), whilst Fire Punch will hurt the Steel types that otherwise resist you.

Make sure you have a spinner/defogger for Sneaky Pebbles, those will kinda make your life difficult otherwise.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 pm

So after the Korean site's little snafu, Masuda officially revealed Mega Audino. Considering Mega Slowbro is currently still in unrevealed limbo alongside Hoopa, Volcanion, the Mega Lati's, and AZ's Floette, I'm going to guess he had already been planning to do so anyways.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Actually, it is for the battle maison.

The one I have right now has 5 IVs (not special attack), a nature that boosts nothing and its hidden ability. I does have Extreme Speed.

However, the moves kind of depend on my two other mons, Alakazam and Muk. Alakazam is supposed to hit a lot of things super effectivly. Muk can take care of quite a few other things, especially Fairies. Dragonites main job is to deal with Steel types, because I don't want to rely on Muks Brick Break for them. So yeah, no spinners or defogers. I also kind of want to run Earthquake and/or Roost, Earthquake for coverage and Roost for healing...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:20 am

Tbh if it's maison, you don't need to worry about rocks. Maison's kinda easy.

Earthquake's coverage is pointless when you have Dragon Claw and Fire Punch. Those do everything you need them do do alongside Extremespeed.

I suppose another set might work if you wanna run something slightly different. The top listed set on Smogon is actually a Bulky Roost set, comprising of Roost, Dragon Claw, Extremespeed and Earthquake. Earthquake will help with those Steel types too. The EVs there are 216 HP, 64 Atk and 228 Special Def.

Use what you wish I guess. I personally prefer Sweepers so I'd go for Dragon Dance Dragonite.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm

The main reason for fire over quake is Skarmory.

Hmm...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:07 pm

Lol I was actually about to start breeding that same Dragonite set. Which, to be fair, is the same one as I used late gen 4, only sans multiscale. But the best stuff never ages. Go with Captain, OJ! (I prefer Quake, it has better base power and more SE targets, but you do want something to cover things like Skarmory and Ferrothorn. But then without Quake, things like Heatran and Aegislash become a problem, so pick your poison I guess?)

I swear I get so many Dragonite every generation it's a bit crazy :O P.S my internet is shoddy and the deal/service we've been getting has changed for the worse so I'm gonna be off occasionally, more worryingly, I can't guarantee my 3DS can connect to the internet anymore... living in the future my ass >:/
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 41 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 41  Next