Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 33 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 33 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:41 am

i like megaman's side B. i really wish the saw blade would have been down b or something and charge shot was straight b. but then i guess he'd be too much like samus?

i just really dislike that i have no punch or kick with which to hit an idling Link in the face because of that hylian shield. don't get me wrong, i think it's a cool thing, but megaman kind of gets trumped by it.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:30 pm

well
your down tilt is a slide kick
and your up tilt is a shoryuken
that's a kick and a punch :0
the charge shot IS there too, even if as a side smash, so

btw. villager is so fun to play as u dont even know
my favorite move of his has to be the fireworks, followed by the bowling ball and the lloyd rocket :0
he's not INCREDIBLY good in timed matches since his ko moves are a bit situational and the time limit really fucks with that but i feel like he'll be a beast in non-timed stock matches
also just. stock matches in general.
ALSO IT'S SO SATISFYING WHEN YOU HIT SOMEBODY WITH THE TIMBER TREE

btw, played some of the other characters as well. mario and pikachu both continue to be not that much my playstyle, specially mario. megaman is not the kinda character i can play AT ALL, but he seems like a good character going by the ai. and link is v good and i can play him somewhat
i'm p surprised they didn't include kirby tho. that's like the one smash poster boy we're missing
(because you can not deny mario, link, kirby and pikachu are smash's poster boys and villager and megaman are smash 4's)

lastly, i'm amused because i like never used the shield and the dodge AT ALL in brawl but here i'm just. swoop, swoop, swoop all the time

(thanks tinning, btw! it was p nervewracking but i am v proud of myself for it :>)
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:28 pm

I actually really like how megaman's attack is his buster and side smash is his charge, I didn't expect it and like you said, it would have been too much like samus and mewtwo and lucario and mewtwo to be neutral B. I agree that I'd have preferred his saw to be down B, but then I suppose that usually is a shield or otherwise defensive move slot.

I agree with how fun villager is though, I'm just sitting here trying out all his moves to see what comes out next.

I'm really liking how the portability of this version, I think I'll definatly have to pick up the full game for 3DS. Gotta save up for this and AS.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:58 pm

So my internet died last night just as I was about to go enter the code, which was really irritating, but I managed to get it downloaded today, and I'm really enjoying the demo so far. The game itself both looks and feels great, it's all just sooooo much smoother now. I really like what they've done.

I have to admit, I only really did subspace in Brawl, so my skills have always been a little meh at the game, but I've been playing the demo and have slowly been improving, which is good. I can now closely win against lvl 5 computers, which is an improvement for me for sure compared to this morning. Mario is tough to beat, as is Link sometimes, but I've had no problems so far in winning against Villager or Megaman. Villager is easy bc he can't really KO me that easily with any of his moves, so I just have to whittle him down until he's within KO range for me and KO him. Megaman I have literally only ever lost to when I managed to SD twice in one match.

I'm playing Pikachu btw, in case that wasn't clear. I like him so far, his playstyle seems to work well for me. Link's does too, and I can kinda use Villager, but the other two are just no. I especially hate Mario, both to face and to play. We don't mold together too well.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm

all of my friends have codes for the demo and i... dont. Sad

if anyone has a spare us code and could give it to me, i love you.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:06 pm

so far i can handily topple any single opponent at level 8. less reliably so against a pair of 5s.

my smashing skills have deteriorated over the ages. in melee, i could have taken 1v3 lvl9s as mewtwo and come out on top.

oh, the horrors of age
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:38 pm

I got a code from Tirgo because he's a really cool guy!!! Downloading as we speak. I'll post my thoughts when it's finished.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:55 pm

well i barely beat a level 9 link on final destination. by the way, if you use omega mode on battlefield, it disables items. i guess it's for the tryhards? it also disables the platforms. too bad you can't set it to fox only.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:03 pm

So wait, Omega Mode is the "For Glory" thing Sakurai mentioned a while back? I know what I'm never playing.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 pm

i have no idea if it's the for glory thing.
according to a quick google search, it's not. omega mode is specifically an option for stages; not a gameplay mode. for glory is a competitive online mode.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:16 pm

The point is, it's boring and lame and I will never be using it.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:17 pm

oh, yeah. it's interesting to me, though, because i generally get less KOs on the final destination version of battlefield in this demo. because of the lack of items. I really should work on my core game so that i won't have to rely on items so much.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:18 pm

But items are what make the game fun. Plus, explosions.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:07 am

you guys need to nag me to post here more often.

well anyways i have gotten the smash demo by a lovely break, and oH BOY.
it seems my affinity for crappy characters lives on; megaman is currently my favorite to play as. i like mario a lot too, feels like he got some serious buffs, but i doubt i'll continue with him once the full game rolls around.
i can reliably beat a lvl9 2-0 with them both now.

villager is cool but i can't do much with them...

also hey rOOD. some of us are worse on stages with platforms covering everything and appreciate the flat verisons >:[ (for real though, battlefield is my second worst stage, right behind yoshi's island)
i love items as much as anyone, but i've been playing almost exclusively with them off so i can get a solid feel for everything. i am such a crazy pos with items on; i tend to focus on them more than my own attack strategy.

my one MAJOR COMPLAINT with the demo is that you can't change the control scheme.

in other news, i have been taken over and ruined by a cartoon about mineral space women send help.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:48 am

At the moment, I'm migrating more towards Link. Megaman is cool, it's just his specials are rarely worth using and his other moves are situational. Link is good at spacing though, and gets some decent slashes and isn't easy to launch. His biggest problem IMO is that his strongest slashy moves are a kinda slow to start and can be interrupted, and don't have fantastic range. I'm trying against a Level 6 and a Level 7 and can win most of the time; in terms of actually improving I prefer the FD mode since everything's line-of-sight and you don't narrowly miss people because they went down a platform and you went up. I want to get to a point where I can beat 9s consistently and items really don't allow that! 

I can't believe how well it runs. I'm using a regular 3DS and it's unbelievably smooth and crisp and the 3D is great (love the chickens especially). Only problem is distinguishing similar characters or seeing things on really large stages I guess, but none of the 3DS stages seem like they're gonna be very large. All in all? Wildly impressed with it.

Except.
I don't appreciate laziness, and... some of the things shout laziness. If you view the tips, a huge amount of the time r.e. smash run, the enemies are from KI:U; disproportionately so. I get that they had easy access to the assets, but it just screams "easy way"... and Smash typically does things to an insane level of quality. So it's a bit offputting. Likewise direct clones :/ I wouldn't mind if they were included as costumes that played slightly differently, it's just claiming them as a separate roster number is a bit like rounding 47.3 to 49. Exactly like that actually.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:08 pm

nintendog fucks EVERYTHING up.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:08 pm

That is so true Very Happy I groan every time I see it now, it blocks almost the entire stage! And it's super distracting <3 DAE LOVE THE 3D??? Quality demo definitely. I can't wait to get the real one and try out all the other characters, Link has sold me on basically everyone!

Also: That windy stick, and the Drill Arm. Godly when they work. And the Galaga thing and Link's beetle shooty thing too I guess. Lots and lots of aerial fun to be had.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:22 pm

so wait you got to date the galaga ship now you can fight the galaga ship? now we just need some way to combine the two games
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Omega mode basically makes every stage a final destination version, which is to say just a solitary platform. In the demo, Omega mode also comes without items, because they didn't put in the option to do much, just 5 characters and Battlefield in two modes (Standard with items and Omega mode without). In the actual game, you can alter the rules yourself to have items or not, so Omega mode will have items at the start unless if you alter it.

Either way, Omega mode is meant for For Glory, which is competitive smash. In competitive smash items are banned, as are stage hazards and any weird stage dealie, because it means that you can get lucky and win by getting like a Hammer or something stupid. There's no actual skill involved in winning with items on. That's why they're banned. I agree that items on can be fun at times if you just want a silly, relaxing fun game, but personally, I want to improve my skills at competitive smash, so I've been playing Omega mode in the demo. To try and get better.

I guess it's just a question of what you want from Smash 4. But calling it "boring and lame" is like calling any competitive scene of a game boring and lame. So fucking shut up and stop shitting on it. Feel free to enjoy the game on your own terms, but down undermine the way others like to enjoy it, because it makes you a shitty person if you do that.

*late to the party, I know.

Last edited by Hanky Panky on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Let's all be a bit nicer to each other, okay?)
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:57 pm

ye I love items and they're super fun but. honestly? ...so is omega mode in the demo. :O

They're both very different ways to play and Idk if it's because I'm Villager or not but Omega Mode still feels very much... not-set-on-stone. Things can go really wild and the game gets VERY intense and I like it a lot!

Btw, I'm getting really good at Villager, ESPECIALLY with Timber. From experience, it seems it can KO pretty reliably as low as around 50%, and I've done pretty well just kinda. putting it near the edge, not close enough that there's no space between it and the ledge but just off to the side, when you have time to and then just kinda. hitting people in the face with an axe a few times. and THEN go and cut the tree down if the focus is on you now, you can hit people that way around like... half the time?
Villager's other reliable KO moves seem to be the bowling ball, the Lloyd Rocket (especially if you ride on it, that boosts the knockback) and, ...funnily enough, the slingshot once you're high enough. his grab is also pretty good knockback-wise I think, and his up smash (the fireworks) are good for dealing some damage and upwards knockback. The turnips (up and down air) can be pretty good as single attacks to rack up the damage and I haven't used his standard a combo and standard air enough to judge them, but they don't seem to be the best. His recovery power is ridiculous because of both Lloyd Rocket and Balloon Trip (unless you're using Lloyd Rocket and fighting a Mario) and Pocket requires a lot of attention and reflexes. The plant (dash attack) can be good for racking up some damage as well (it's actually a projectile traveling diagonally downwards btw) and his down smash I haven't actually seen a use for yet? The enemies can free themselves from the trapping like, before the animation even finishes. Oh, and because of goddamn TAP TO JUMP I haven't been able to use his up tilt much either. HIS FINAL SMASH IS ALSO SHIT I CAN NEVER HIT WITH IT >:UUU

Personally, I'm really curious what the hell are gonna be his custom moves though?? Like, especially for Pocket. I'm guessing Balloon Trip will probably have a version that somehow does damage though... And maybe Pocket will get a new version where it automatically throws the projectile instead, without a pause?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Psst, CapComb, I'm joking. Mostly. Itemless just doesn't have enough mayhem for me.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Wow um

Those are, uh... pretty strong words for you to use, CC!
I think CA was kind of half-joking about that anyways, given the "plus explosions" bit.
I'd really like it if we could maybe not have quite so much anger going on in here?

EDIT: oh whoops I was ninja'd and now my post looks dumb, hooray!
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Sorry, I've had a headache all day, I'm kinda cranky.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Does it really count as ninja-ing if it was a full seven minutes beforehand?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:41 pm

anything is ninjaing if you believe hard enough *insert naruto stuff here i dont actually know any naruto stuff but its a ninja shonen anime so it has to have something about believing hard enough like all shonen anime do*
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37 ... 41  Next