Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 34 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 34 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by d_what Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Oh phew I'm glad I didn't have to get involved. Anyway, it's weird - during Brawl, I found itemless matches to be really boring. Yet somehow, here, they're not? It really is about timing and strategy! With Link I spam B and Side B for chip damage and distance, maybe a down aerial if I get juggled, and then start dash-slashin' them when they get to around 80%. But you have to time it REALLY carefully, probably preemptively because it's easy to stop or to miss and there's lag afterwards! Same with his spinny B, though his Aerial Up B is pretty cool for catching aerial opponents who *just* managed to avoid getting sent off the screen and hitting them back off it again. I'm not really great with grabs... the player I haven't caught keeps interrupting me Neutral And then when I get to high percentages, it's back to the B spam for distancing, with occasional opportunistic smashes! I'm playing against 7-8s now. Can't really think of all this stuff with items on. In comparison then, I guess Brawl really was slow...
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Man, how did everyone get a demo so quickly? Doesn't it only become available to everyone in a week or so?
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Apparently Platinum Club Nintendo members got a handful of codes early.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 pm

give it 3 days and anyone who doesn't already have the demo can download it
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm not platinum club nintendo, or at least I don't think I am. As far as I know I'm just a club nintendo UK member, but we don't have platinum club nintendo, so maybe they just gave random members codes to make up for it.

Also, while everyone can download a demo in a few days, these code gotten demos are unique in that they are infinitly replayable with no 30-use limit.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 pm

yup. which is the only reason i bothered to try to get one.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:00 pm

You guys don't know how much y'all make me want to play the demo.

BUT MIDTERMS THIS WEEK no I can't afford to get distracted who am I kidding I'm just watching Villager videos on YouTube
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:48 am

well even though it's limited in uses, smash's release is only a few weeks afterwards, so even if you closed it and restarted every day you'd have plenty enough uses.

i visited my old smash hangout site from 2010, [those were dark days] and a friend from the deep just straight-up offered me a code.

btw that trivia thing that spark won was totally supposed to be my ticket to a code, but i got there late and he was already winning uwu
spark is a good nerd.

and i kinda agree with D_ about items, in brawl and especially melee, i much preferred having them on, but in smash 4 the matches are without them too. i think some of it is just runoff from my getting used to itemless matches against more serious player in brawl, but the game stands on its own merit as well.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 am

But, but... Octi/Octo/Octisserie, it's SEPTEMBER. How can it be midterms already??? How long are your terms??? D: D: it's not even LATE September?? Do you work all summer as well as the other seasons??

Current matchups are 8-8-8 on Omega mode!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 am

My professors apparently believe in giving quarterly "midterms"...

As for my preference of items/no items, Smash certainly feels more interesting and perhaps lively with items (especially Pokeballs and assist trophies), but I usually prefer to play without since a lot of the time they kind of screw with trying to have a serious skill matchup. But since I kind of suck I guess it really doesn't matter much to me!
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:56 am

when my friends and i play, we usually disable the more ridiculous items. in brawl, we turned off all hammers, final smash, and dragoon parts. probably a couple other annoying as fuck items too. the only real 1hko items we left on were bob-ombs, fire boxes, and bumpers. then i figured out how to reliably juggle someone offscreen at any% with the raygun and now my cousin's husband doesn't like playing any more.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:03 am

Big news! I was Breeding Treeckos and it wasn't really working out for me in terms of what IVs I wanted, when I got something probably rarer than a shiny.

A full 6 IV spred.

At first I thought this must be offset by a bad nature, but nope, bashful nature, meaning no modifiers. I know there's no need for a full 6, and a modest nature would serve me better than a redundant attack IV, but I think this is way too good a coincidence to pass up.

Smash related, has anyone had a problem with using the joystick? It might just be me, but I find it kinda hard to do precision moves, like sometimes they won't dash when I want to. I don't know if it's a problem with the stick or I just need more practice, but knowing one way or the other might help. I did have the same problem with KI:U, which put me off completing it, so I'm thinking the joystick is a bit stiff.

In terms of the omega stages, this is a new style of playing for me. It makes smash feel more like a standard fighting game, and it's kinda fun having to rely only on a character's quirks to prevail. When I played brawl I used to main random select, so that'd be interesting to get used to without items or platforms.

Also sometimes I'd only enable pokeballs and me and my brothers/ sister would just spam them all over the place, I recommend it.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 am

Actually, yes. Sometimes I'm trying successive dash attacks with Link and he just does a forward A, but I figure that's just the controls and I'll have to get used to them. I've a question though: In Brawl, how often were the AI opponents using alternate colours when you WEREN'T also using their characters? Because now more often than not CPU opponents will use their default colours/costumes with occasional appearances from the alts. It's... good, actually, I just don't remember it.

I'm also kinda sad that come release day so many characters are already unlocked and available to use... I like it when lots are locked, because it means you're encouraged to take your time getting to know the characters you already have, and there's a greater sense of accomplishment. That's just me, though! It's why I appreciated the Subspace Emissary (p.s. I wish Taboo was a boss in this, he's too cool not to reuse).
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:59 am

Yeah, my friends and I always disabled the Dragoon because it devolved the match into "keep everyone else from getting all of the parts". We usually kept Smash Balls off because Final Smashes were so horribly balanced. Everything else was fair game, though. I know that in Brawl, CP's would frequently use alternate colors when you set them to random.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:06 pm

My friends and I used to play a self-imposed mode of no attacks, only recoveries, and all Pokeballs. It was pretty great even with the limited selection of Pokemon (and even when we got Wobbuffet).

It didn't really help us improve but boy was it fun.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm doing this. I am so, so doing this.

Were you allowed to throw the Pokeballs at the opponent in order to cause damage? Actually, I wonder if every character has the same throwing range/strength? Googletime!

Arceus is (sorry) Godly. As soon as Sakurai detailed his ability I knew he'd be my favourite Pokeball Pokemon. One solid smash into open air and BAM! Meteor Smash for the KO! So much fun. I kinda wish there was a stage that would do it automatically actually!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 pm

I don't actually recall, but I believe we didn't throw them at each other and more in the other people's general directions. But this also means that it takes forever to do much damage so low stock is probably the way to go...
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:02 pm

When my friends and I did it, Poké Ball damage was fair game (and the only way you were going to get any use out of Goldeen), but it wasn't too likely to happen, since someone would just dodge out of the way (or counter, or what have you). If you managed to catch the Poké Ball after it was thrown, you were free to throw it right back.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Oh, I figured you guys would take turns chucking balls. Which you could do, actually, if you had a custom stage with symmetrical conveyor belts that carried the items right to you, but left the opponent's ledge within throwing distance. Kyurem's pretty cool... I'm still bummed that after all this time it's Goldeen that flops around and not Magikarp. Though if it were me, I'd make it so that a small amount of the time (say, Resetti's explosion probability) it evolves into Gyarados upon being hit and Outrages the stage. That'd be fun. Or, while we're IDEing, a Pokemon that uses stealth rocks; throws floating spiky rocks all over the field that fade away after hitting or a set amount of time. Trick Room could be a local Timer, I guess.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:20 pm

oh my god i F-aired some poor villager with mario and he happened to be about two feet above and to the left of the platform. motherfucker spiked to his death. it felt so wonderful.

also that bagpipe wind thingy. that's good for a single KO. major dick move to keep someone's recovery from getting to the stage. but it's funny.

and what's the rock sword thing that creates whirlwinds?
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:22 am

That's the Ogre Club from Kid Icarus. A lot of clubs in KI:U do that, but only with their ranged charged shots. So it's pretty accurate... I've heard KI:U described as 3D Smash Bros, actually, and in terms of controls they're spot on. Minus the jumping. The Windy thing I'm pretty sure is something from LoZ.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:58 am

ilikeoctopus wrote:My friends and I used to play a self-imposed mode of no attacks, only recoveries, and all Pokeballs. It was pretty great even with the limited selection of Pokemon (and even when we got Wobbuffet).
oh man i did this ALL THE TIME in melee. pokeballs and party balls only on very high. 15 minutes. style match. pokemon stadium. pika and jiggs versus mewtwo and pichu.
absolute mayhem. i would do this for hours.

....this was many years before i ever touched a pokemon game, mind you.

d_what wrote:That's the Ogre Club from Kid Icarus.
no u butt that's the ORE Club. the ogre looks like spiky twisted rope and makes massive purple and orange energy balls.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:59 am

Sorrgy, sometimeggs I pgut extrag Gees gin my words. G. Besides, what's a G betweeng friends~~ :Dg
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:33 am

The windy thing is in fact the Gust Bellows from Skyward Sword.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:45 am

yeah but its more fun to say the windy thing because look at where we all came from to get here
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37 ... 41  Next