Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

+16
Sharpedo
phantasmalDexterity
cerebralconfinement
Crobat
kotakun
Xaber
ilikeoctopus
Captain
invisibleTerrarium
OverlordJ
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
Dregadude
Spark Eletran
Hanky Panky
d_what
20 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

What Hoenn starter are you picking?

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_lcap7%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_lcap21%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_lcap14%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_lcap14%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_lcap43%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. Empty General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm just not sure how well defined the passive/active words actually are. In comic they're said explicitly to mean to the benefit of *whoever*, but I think in hindsight that was a bad idea. Because you could easily have someone who passively benefits only themselves or actively supports their team, and that makes the language pretty... awkward.

If anything, a simple "level of team support" gauge would be helpful. With a Seer or Sylph being very high on the scale, and a Thief or a highly self-oriented, active role being useful, but low on the scale. But then I don't really get much out of finding patterns for pattern's sake so I'm not the best person to be talking to about the "meaning" of sburb. My personal ethos is "wing it, if it makes sense in a story then it makes sense".

I agree with your Knight thoughts. A warrior with only a single weapon is no good if they can't improvise with that weapon, and I think to be a good Knight of any aspect you'd have to learn how to wield your aspect in all the ways that are available. That makes sense logically and story-wise, I think.
And speaking as a Knight, I bet they probably plateau pretty fast in the game. ESPECIALLY a Knight of Mind. Instant boons in the form of Tactical Planning, a role basically DESIGNED for a Knight of Mind, with smaller mind-based offensive skills as they level up, but 3/4s of the way through the adventure, how much could they really do that's that impressive? Exploiting the black king's doubts and thought processes is useful, as is planting illusions or getting combat Mind buffs (e.g resist fear or berserker, those would be mind-based I think), but it's not half as cool as being able to send a planet flying at him. And if I was to do an adventure, dealing with that scaling would be a large part of my personal arc.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. Empty Re: General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:44 pm

Well d_, if you're already squarely in the knight of mind corner then I suppose another fitting classpect for me would be Mage of Heart. Classpects are difficult for me because my personality is kind of amorphous depending on who I need to be at the current moment. Other than being reflective and manipulative, the rest of my traits are fairly spread out across the spectra.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. Empty Re: General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:45 pm

another thing i really like to imagine is that flashy powers are just universal depending on your aspect
what the full title really changes is what you do with them, as well as the "figurative" way of thinking and acting for the person (like "oh he destroys peoples connections and bonds" or stuff like that)
on that note though i cant really say what kinda cool abilities would i get seeing as we havent seen a blood god tier in action really. im guessing id be able to do some like accidental red miles or something though and thatd be fuckin' awesome
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Yes! I agree. I see no reason why a seer of light can't manifest light beams to attack. I just think a Mage would be better at it/better suited to it. And a savvy space player could to the same things a void player would do, and vice versa, if they handle it correctly (e.g. super density can cause black holes, which could be manifested by either a Void or a Space player. Or even a Light player if they could negatively affect their aspect, like a Prince might). That's what I like. The flexibility. And that something like Breath could have a tangible, outer meaning, i.e actual wind, and a metaphorical meaning, like freedom, so Blood could do either of the things you've mentioned.

Though one of my few "theories" is that extra, metaphorical meanings like this don't apply to either Time or Space, because their outer powers are incredibly strong and important anyway. They don't really need an extra meaning to have an effect on a player. Time and Space are the special aspects anywho so I don't mind making exceptions for them.

Edit: Heheh Hanky that's the same role that my friend Denis has Very Happy Looks like we're set to always be mutually exclusive. Next thing you're gonna tell me you're also a Page of Life or Thief of Space! Incidentally, what do you typically get on tests? Because if you're so uncertain then I'd let fate choose. Since fate is such a big part of Sburb. I kinda think random chance should be an aspect of any session.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:07 pm

btw here
have some more stuff on nelly as a sylph of hope and me as a heir of blood that i talked about with her yesterday
it's what made her decide that sylph of hope really does fit her after all:

So, who do we have up to now?

COOL GUYS SESSION
Spark - Heir of Blood
Nelly - Sylph of Hope
Dee - Knight of Mind (cause capns a knight on the other one and lets try avoiding repeating shit)

those other ones session
Capn - Knight of Blood
Drega - ???? of Hope????? Maybe?

um somewhere?
Jay - Mage of Void

somewhere jay isnt at
Hanky - Mage of Heart?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:15 pm

woah woah woah there mister. (It took me an unfortunate amount of time to work out who Dee was. I wondered if it was Drega for a bit.) I can't be in your session because I already have a session! That's what the page topper on the previous page was about and anyway I've already talked about it with my IRL friends. We're very highly organised when it comes to fictional things that never happen. (You should hear our Zombie Apocalypse battle plans. It involves the shortest route to a runway and Greenland.) 3 of us have read HS too which I think it impressively high for a random sample. On the other hand, this means that Captain or Hanky (should he turn out to be a KoM) is now available for shenanigans?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:17 pm

>:/ fuk u too dee

also by "two sessions" i mean scratched ones
aka capn is either pre- or post-scratch me
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:29 pm

/._.\ sorry! But this has been planned since early last year. Commitments are commitments, y'know?
Plus there's no way I'm not gonna be on a team that has a Page of Life on it. I want to see where that goes!

So which of your teams are the ones that fail at winning? I suppose whichever one is the first to get a Time player since they'd be the ones who could initiate a scratch.
Hey, that'd be a cool plot point. For an entirely regular session to discover their Time planet doesn't contain a scratch mechanism... because they're a scratched session already. PLOT TWIST huh. Though I guess it'll just be like the Trolls ancestor thing. Especially since theirs was a (albeit complicated, with the ectobiology stuff) scratched session.

HERE'S A FUN IDEA
THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS BUT I THINK NUMBERS-WISE IT MIGHT BE OKAY

A 2-team session like the Trolls had, but with actual separate sessions, divided between the Americas and Europe, with Xaber as a tiebreak! It'll be like the olympics only deadly and sparklier.
So I'd get OJ and Tinning, and pD, and Captain, and Myself, and, and wait shit is that it no wait I change my mind I was born in Boston I should be on the American team!!!

Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:28 pm

By the way I'm so prototyping like a robot or something like that and then Nelly after she dies in [unknown accident] so she'd be my sprite and then when she god tiered she'd be like robotish and stuff :OOO
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:02 pm

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. Sprite11
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 pm

fucking

y u keep blocking me into a hope aspect spark

fuck hope

i am a hearty guy

seer of heart

ain't nobody gon tell me otherwise
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 pm

what quizzes/tests do you use to figure this shit out

i'm basically going by the sburb classes info in the mspa wiki
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 pm

different strokes for different folks but I always felt the one that was most fun and "sburby" and not TOO tied down to any one particular viewpoint is this one:
https://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rvalle/hsquiz/hsquiz.html

(the bat is mine. Laptop prototyping was post-entry. Stuffed bear and a random flying crane went into the second one pre-entry. The former talks like a chatbot, only bat-themed, and the latter speaks entirely in STRIDENT CALLS FOR FISH, FISH, WANT FISH, FISH FISH FISH, FISH, FISH DO YOU HAVE FISH FISH GIVE ME FISH!)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Dammit. I did that quiz, and I got Page of Breath. I am definitely not Tavros.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 pm

I've done it twice before but I figured I might as well do it again. Got Heir of Heart, oddly enough. (The two times I did it in the past, I got Mage of Space and Heir of Doom.) Honestly while those questions are fine and all they don't really seem to have much to do with personality??? Not enough to decide classpect from anyways. Also the "what you gonna prototype" question doesn't allow me to answer "whatever nearby object that would make an interesting and not-unhelpful sprite and doesn't make the imps overpowered". I like doing the logical options, test! Why won't you let me do that for this one?
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:22 pm

I did this one: http://inaniloquacity.tumblr.com/post/35681927354/homestuck-title-test

and i got really close scores for two classes and two aspects. rogue and knight are the two highest scores, 90% and 85% respectively. Then the aspect matcher told me my most likely aspects were breath and then life.

so i guess rogue of breath or knight of life, depending on what the needs of our make believe session are.

as far as prototyping is concerned, i'd probably throw a bottle of tequila and some MtG cards into the original kernel. then all the imps would be drunken fantasies.

wait that came out wrong
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:58 pm

I've been archive-binging guys, and look what I found! Spark said it back in one of the previous Genchats.

"Yeah, I think it would be nice and all to have a girlfriend, sure, whatever, but it's not something like OMFG ULTRA IMPORTANT MUST DO

I've gotta buncha cool friends (Specially here in the Quarantine) and a pretty cool life and and and I have fun and it's cool I just I don't see why does everybody need to like DATE EVERYBODY GOOO

it's weird"

wow Spark gets AAAAALLLL the things done. I am impressed. And is totally eating his words now heheheh. (and wrote and three times in a row???) Also, did you know, I once wrote a limerick about rotation, Hanky made a gag about his genitals not being like a dart, most of the topics on this thread are exact things we've discussed before and already forgotten about, and the term for iT's name actually being informationTechnology is nicknameme, as coined by Muffinz? The more you know. Also I haven't seen VariegatedDreamraptor or Hytheter in a while.

dump of unimportant but related to previous stuff things
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:28 pm

so my most memorable moment is making a dick joke

....... i guess that's something.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 pm

hey i said dating wasnt a must-do, not that id never do it if i got the chance mspa
also i didnt use any test, i just looked at the meanings and im going with what i think fits best because all the tests are kinda old and dont really work very well imo

EDIT: GUYS NEWS NEWS DELELELEWOOOOP
GUESS WHO ELSE IS DATING SOMEONE NOW
IT'S THE TAILORED GOOSEDEER OF ESPURRNESS
shes dating a tumblr friend that she realized she had a crush on today and i told her the best thing to do was to just tell them about it and she did and they had a crush on her too and now theyre dating :OOOOO
shes so happy just like exploding all over my dash and acting kinda like me about dating nelly just kinda like "what did i do to deserve someone this cool and cute and nice" ":DDDDDD" "im so happy" all that stuff
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:04 am

I'll make sure to read all these long posts in a moment but I just want to say that I am 99% sure that, yes, passiive means "using your powers for/on others" while active means "using your powers for/on yourself".

And yes, that means Knights would be a passive class in my headcanon that activly protects people, while Heirs would be an active class that passivly protects themself.

Which, yes, is confusing, though that happens.

I like to compare it to alignment. A Lawful person can be chaotic, that doesn't mean they are Chaotic. A Chaotic person can be orderly, that doesn't mean they aren't Chaotic.

EDIT:

Okay, so, I don't know any real life people I'd try to play sburb with, so probably some friends from forums?

Also, my Character has played in a session before (it was a RP on the MSPA forum) and it ended with him floating through the furthest ring forever. On a large meteor, filled with grey carapacians. He may or may not gone mad at some point in the future. He may or may not have grown into a Horrorterror in the future, though that's not canon.

I also agree, the classes are VERY flexible and if you know what you're doing, you can almost do whatever you want.

And D_what, I hate that test, I, too, got Page of Breath, just like cA and I, too, do not think I fit it. Plus, Tavros is not a Troll I like too much.

I personally used the Page of Hopes test. It has non canon classes and aspects but it's the test I feel is the best. I had known previous to that test that the aspects that'd fit me the best would be Rage, Doom or Void and when the test gave me the result of Mage of Void it just made sense to me. Here is a link to it
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Does anybody ever really think they fit page of Breath Neutral Breath might be an aspect that nobody thinks they're ever suited to, because:

a) having the same aspect as the main HS character could be subconsciously seen as being unoriginal
b) the other breath players seen are pretty shitty
c) actually most of the pages are pretty shitty too?
d) we have only seen "outer" breath powers yet, all of whom appear to be weaker versions of things you could do with space players, hence an inherent bias
e) people tend to want either outwardly powerful roles, e.g. Space or Time, or ones they feel are explicitly suited to their personalities, e.g. Light or Void or Heart or Mind, Breath is neither of these things making it appear to some as a less-than-acceptable aspect to be gifted with.

I only know two Breath players that have been happy with their role. The first is 14 and knows very little about HS except that John is cool and is a breath player, and isn't aware of any aspect's deeper meanings. The other hasn't read HS and likes it just because Page of Breath makes him like Link in Wind Waker. (Yes he is also a Page of Breath)

I bet you could graph all the people who have ever done any test ever and chart how happy people were with their role grouped by role, and for some aspects it'd be a really high acceptance rate and for others, like Breath and Doom (since vague), would be low. Personally I don't like the other test because it's too rigid and technical and doesn't allow for much expression or random chance, and the mere existence of noncanon classes shows it has no serious relevance. You might as well pick classes and aspects out of a hat. But I got the same result there as I have anywhere else, so anecdotally speaking, I can't publicly doubt its accuracy.

(Does applying my intellect extensively in a debate count as mind-combat? Because that's a thing I do sometimes and I don't know if it does?)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Eh, it's not the Breath part on its own that bugs me. It's that I somehow got the same Classpect as Tavros. I think we can all agree that my personality does not match his.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:14 pm

That's kinda the reasoning for debunking zodiac signs, isn't it? Take the Chinese ones. They claim everybody born in a particular year subscribes to a particular type of character archetype, which is patently untrue. It doesn't mean that you're not, by the zodiac description, still a Monkey. So just because you're not like one example of a character doesn't really invalidate your personal right to the role and class.

Phrase it differently: I am a Seer of Light. Rose is a Seer of Light. I am not like Rose. Therefore I can't be a Seer of Light.
But a bit of thought would tell you: Rose is by no means a definitive archetype! Quite the opposite! And in the same vein, the little we saw of Tavros was to do with his general crippling (cough) self esteem(s!) and how sucky he was at romance and other things. None of that screams page of breath, page maybe, but person first. You could be Gandhi or Hitler and still get Page of Breath.

Another way of phrasing it would be mathematically. 12 aspects, 14 classes, 12*14 total roles, but there are far more types of people in the world than that number. Way way more. With all sorts of individual nuances and quirks. And when it comes to trolls like Tavros, all we really see is the quirks.

But then I also think choice is important so if you don't think you could be a Page of Breath then that's cool. But Page is possibly one of the best classes to have, if you think you've got it in you to make it to the top!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:24 pm

dude breath is one of the coolest aspects
i got mage of breath once in a test and id love being that i just think heir of blood (ironically the exact opposite) fits better
wind is a fucking DESTRUCTIVE force seriously you could wreck some shit with it
plus "direction/goals/freedom" is a pretty damn cool meaning imo
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm

d_what wrote:Does anybody ever really think they fit page of Breath :|Breath might be an aspect that nobody thinks they're ever suited to, because:

a) having the same aspect as the main HS character could be subconsciously seen as being unoriginal
b) the other breath players seen are pretty shitty
c) actually most of the pages are pretty shitty too?
d) we have only seen "outer" breath powers yet, all of whom appear to be weaker versions of things you could do with space players, hence an inherent bias
e) people tend to want either outwardly powerful roles, e.g. Space or Time, or ones they feel are explicitly suited to their personalities, e.g. Light or Void or Heart or Mind, Breath is neither of these things making it appear to some as a less-than-acceptable aspect to be gifted with.

I only know two Breath players that have been happy with their role. The first is 14 and knows very little about HS except that John is cool and is a breath player, and isn't aware of any aspect's deeper meanings. The other hasn't read HS and likes it just because Page of Breath makes him like Link in Wind Waker. (Yes he is also a Page of Breath)

I bet you could graph all the people who have ever done any test ever and chart how happy people were with their role grouped by role, and for some aspects it'd be a really high acceptance rate and for others, like Breath and Doom (since vague), would be low. Personally I don't like the other test because it's too rigid and technical and doesn't allow for much expression or random chance, and the mere existence of noncanon classes shows it has no serious relevance. You might as well pick classes and aspects out of a hat. But I got the same result there as I have anywhere else, so anecdotally speaking, I can't publicly doubt its accuracy.

(Does applying my intellect extensively in a debate count as mind-combat? Because that's a thing I do sometimes and I don't know if it does?)

You do in fact have a Breath player here.
It is me.
Prince of Breath motherfuckers.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next