Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 35 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 35 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:45 pm

No no no youre doing the pokemon thing wrong, you have to give each person six lives, and build a custom stage thats just two soft platforms, three squares wide. Turn all the items off except for pokeballs, which you turn on high. Then you take turns throwing pokeballs, and the guy you're throwing it at is not allowed to dodge, they have to sit and take it, they are allowed to recover if they can though. If you get over 100%, you taunt and then drop through your platform and kill yourself.

And also as of right now i will beat any of you at ssb4 with villager. anyone. fuckin fight me.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:51 pm

i will fight you it
I am the VILLAGER MASTER
NOTHING SHALL BEAT ME
realtalk tho villager is definitely gonna be my main in the full game. or at least one of them.
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Aaaaand I'm hyped for tomorrow when the demo comes out for the rest of us!

...Though I'll probably be rushing to do homework and sleeping and I really really need to set up WiFi on my 3DS agh. Related: some kid was playing the Smash demo in a lecture today and I just watched over his shoulder.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Meanwhile, I've gotten wrapped up in an event in Warframe, so I probably won't be getting the demo very promptly.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 pm

invisibleTerrarium wrote:And also as of right now i will beat any of you at ssb4 with villager. anyone. fuckin fight me.
now what are the rules on the you beating us because i might think that depending on what you mean by beat that i would make it dificult for you
like by beat you mean that in a one on one match happening right as soon as feasibly possible you would win or that we could not beat you in a short time frame because they could end up vastly different
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 am

ilikeoctopus wrote: Related: some kid was playing the Smash demo in a lecture today and I just watched over his shoulder.
i have found 4 smash players in my envirosci class from doing this, ahaha
it was quite empowering being next to the only one on campus with the early demo >:y
but i did give them all some matches with it; i know how everyone's dying to play it, and it was a lucky break i even got it in the first place. so far, everyone has unanimously said it's really good, even the 'hardcore' people who bring Project M and their own tiny tv to the student center every day.
i'm really excited to have irl people to smash with again, aaaa

in other news i've realized the beautiful disruptive potential that an 8-directional projectile holds, even if the projectile itself sucks.

iT I WILL TAKE YOU AND YOUR SILLY VILLAGER ON
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON

YOU CHALLENGE ME, YOU CHALLENGE A THIRD OF THE ROSTER

by the by, have you guys seen this thing?
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:03 am

Hey, I'm back from Rome and stuff.

So, you're all doing smash stuff now, huh?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:22 am

*looks furtively*

Uh...  No?

*eyes dart towards open character select screen*

~LA DOLCE VITA~
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:42 am

Spoiler:
OverlordJ wrote:So, you're all doing smash stuff now, huh?
no im not doing smash things for blindingly obvious reasons instead i am just fucking around with everyone else who is doing smash things
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:02 am

So how was Rome? What sights did you go see? Tell us all about it!
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:21 am

Well, I don't have much time right now, so I'll tell you more later but I greatly enjoyed it, we had great weather and we saw many things. I was with my parents, who had wanted to visit Rome with me for six years now and having two people who know a lot about history and who had been to Rome before was very helpful. I am convinced that my feet plan to murder me for revenge now but it was worth it. Oh, but I am unsure if I'll ever be able to enjoy pizza again, German pizza sucks compared to the ones we ate in Rome.

Oh, and I didn't get burned by Holy Water when I touched it and didn't crumble into dust even when I entered churches, so I think I might not be as evil as I thought ;P
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 pm

i cannot confirm or deny whether i bought a wii u today.

however, i did receive a generous bonus check from work this morning.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:08 pm

In that case, I can neither confirm nor deny that you will not regret your decision. The Wii U has some really great games either already released or coming soon.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:13 pm

i cannot definitively say one way or the other that the bundle i may or may not have bought came with NSMBU and NSLU. and i cannot confirm any rumors regarding preorders for smash bros U.

i did cancel my smash 3DS preorder from gamestop. I want to get it digital.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Madness! I just can't trust digital games when they're from nintendo. That's based purely on personal experience and their whole "Only migration applies" shtick. But congrats on possibly having purchased a Wii U. 

Hey guys, Forum Game time:
If you were a Smash Bros character, based on your personality/life/interests, what would your specials be? Anything that could feasibly work in the current Smash counts. We can worry about grabs/normal attacks/customisable moves later!

D_what 
busts a move! (lol no, someone please help me with this)
thinks, therefore he is! (goddamnit)
starts a thread! (ooooh so meta NO)
gives the D (I am so fired)
draws cheers! (inb4 "where everybody knows your name"??)
D_What Draws his weapon!:

Last edited by d_what on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:46 pm

This sounds like a fun game.
HP in smash?:

Edited for Final Smash

Last edited by Hanky Panky on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Ahahaha perfect. Love the banhammer. You know, you don't often get entirely horizontal knockback in Smash? It always goes a little up. Shame, because cannonballing would be so much more fun if you could hit people and send them flying sideways.

Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:36 pm

I'd do that but I don't know what kind of moves smash characters have and how many moves
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 pm

i went back and edited my final smash in. I think it's pretty clever.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:46 pm

oh man.
i'm gonna spend all weekend tossing idea around for this.
[and by the time i finally get around to posting them, everyone will have had their fun already.]
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:57 pm

B attacks or Special attacks are the ones that really define a character. All the characters have basic jumps/shields/assorted hits/kicks/punches/grabs but the specials have the most flavour. And there's 4: You press B in addition to a direction on the circle-pad for (usually) an attack in that direction. 
Neutral specials (just B) only really work when standing, so projectiles are often used here, or things like Shulk's Monado Art change. They're the standard ones. Mario uses his signature Fire Flower fireball, Charizard/Bowser use Fire Breath, and they can hold B to sustain it. Link can hold B to charge his Bow and Arrow, or just press B to fire a weak arrow.

Side Specials are kinda like dash attacks, since they're easiest to use when you're moving. But they can be almost anything with a horizontal aspect. Luigi and Pikachu both have chargeable Side-Bs; they stay still for a while and then rocket forward (skull bash), doing damage. Link has another projectile, he flings his Gale Boomerang away from him (and can aim it slightly). Mario swooshes his cape in front of him and reflects projectiles that would hit him. Marth enters a forward dashy slashy combo. Sometimes, side moves can be used to get back on the stage in case of an emergency; Pikachu and Villager can do this.

Up Specials are moves with upwards aspects, but mostly they're used in case you've been sent of the stage. They're the ones you use when you need to get back on. Lucario uses Extremespeed and dashes upwards in an arc to move somewhere. Ike throws his sword into the air, follows it, and then slashes downwards. Donkey Kong spins around; he doesn't go up much but he can move sideways pretty fast. Sonic and Megaman summon instant springs that bounce them upwards. Zelda teleports.

And then Down Specials can be anything, especially flavor moves or area of effect moves. Kirby turns into an invincible rock - mostly useless, but if he uses it in the air he plummets down and does massive damage on the way! Samus "poops" a little bomb beneath her. Pikachu calls a Thunder that strikes itself. Link readies a bomb to throw. Wii Fit Trainer charges her attacks. Donkey Kong pounds the ground and shockwaves come out. They're rarely moves that are designed to be aimed at anyone in particular.

And then there's Final Smashes which are one-time use super powerful mega finishers (if used correctly). Smash Bros doesn't use HP; the aim is to knock people off the stage. Some moves do more damage, increasing your percentages. Some moves cause knockback, which send you flying based on your percentages. Most do a bit of both; percentages nearing 100 or more mean you'll be easily launched off screen.

TLDR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yF4ny7w-cM watch this, especially the red button bit. Those are the specials.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:02 pm

D_What, tell me what you think about my final smash!
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:04 pm

eyyy I did the thing

Spark Eletran zaps in!:
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Screw all y'all my Final Smash is now Insightful Question. I suggest a topic and everyone on screen explodes in a burst of wordery. I always win after using it and nobody really minds because it's awesome and I'm awesome. /jk
/mostly? /still going with Yggdrawsil

Really though this is great. Great combination of humor/gaming/personality exposition here, like the good ol' days. Everyone's things so far look like so much fun Very Happy Shame it will never happen but my imagination is pretty active so I'll just pretend it it. Hanky, your final smash is cool! But I don't think Smash have every used a touchscreen before? Not even Bowser Jr's one. That's not to say it can't work, though - but drawing all over the screen and causing damage + significant knockback might be a little too OP. Whatever ink you're using should probably run out after a particular line length, or alternatively anyone still in the stuff when it ends get large knockback, but it doesn't necessarily trap, just damages, before that. That would be fair since you could strategically draw lines to either trap a particular player to ensure a KO or spread your damage fairly across the screen. And it would work even on Brawl; you could hold an attack button to place ink and move a cursor around the screen with the thumbstick, Volt-Tackle style, only smoother.

GO FOR IT NN we'll let you change it whenever you want!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:23 pm

I was thinking it'd be kind of like a bit of the line drawing of Kirby Canvas Curse and the damage aspect of Pikachu's final smash, minus the electricity part. But I guess the scribbling can be a trap element, and then whoever gets caught in it after about 2 seconds of scribbling takes heavy damage + heavy knockback? that would probably work better. It just feels very Nintendo-y to take advantage of the medium -- the touch screens on the wii u and 3DS.

damage amounts, i'm thinking 40-60% total damage, with knockback being strong enough to KO around 90-100%. Kind of in-line with other final smashes, I guess? 2 seconds of scribbling sounds like it might be too long. it'd be easiest just to have a fixed amount of ink and try to draw lines between enemies, i guess. Just enough ink to do 2 diagonals across the screen should be plenty. and 5 seconds to draw.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next