Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 19 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 19 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am

Yeah, being gone for years is something that happens to me, just check my DeviantArt or Newgrounds accounts, haha.

Also, while talking about worlds we don't like, I dislike how people throw around the word nazi. There are people calling themself Grammar Nazi and are proud of that. If you care a whole lot about grammar and are proud of that, you should NOT EVER use a term that includes the word nazi to describe yourself.

Oh, I also dislike how certain people on the internet use the terms ADD or ADHD to describe people who are just easily distracted. It's not really like that. But I suppose that one isn't that big a deal, just something that annoys me a little.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

I would agree there, for the most part. Throwing around a phrase like "oh I'm so OCD lol" and "Yep definitely have ADD" kind of demeans the actual meaning of the terms - though it should be noted that they're not slurs so we're slipping into another kind of discussion. I try not to do it and I think I'm successful, but I think at some point many of us may have said something along the lines of "yeah I really like *this thing* in *a certain way*, maybe I have OCD". I think you have to forgive people mostly because, to most people, that's what OCD IS, and what it means to them. You hear the word more often in that context than in the official one, and complaining about the symptoms of this issue doesn't solve anything in comparison to informing people rationally, politely and above all appropriately (the bit that certain Tumblr sects tend to forget) about the reality of the situation. Similar to jokes made about having transsexuals flirting with you or how "every hot girl in Bangkok is a dude" - people who say these things usually don't mean any harm and they don't know otherwise, and the best plan of action is not to take offense or go all "SHITLORD" on their asses, but to discuss with (and not "at") them how things actually are for people who deal with that stuff. I've done that recently and I think it was successful. A little empathy goes a long way!

As for the Nazi thing, I would mostly agree, but in the same vein as above, nobody nowadays actually thinks grammar nazis are remotely comparable to actual Nazis. It has taken on its own meaning and usage and I don't think anybody really intends to lighten the situation - though "tragedy" + "time" = "comedy" is still a thing. Certainly there are still people who either out of ignorance (not knowing) or ignorance (not caring) still refer to the Nazis in place of Germany when they really shouldn't. Personal anecdote; during the world cup, I think in Germany's second last match, one of my close Facebook friends posted a status update saying "I did nazi that coming!". To him it was a vaguely clever wordplay and reference to German history, and he meant no harm by it and is actually a really great guy. But, out of the former kind of ignorance, he was equating all of Germany and German achievements with Nazism, which is unfair. And I would have told him otherwise, but... where would you begin? Facebook isn't an appropriate place to do so, plus I have friends with German roots who would have seen me commenting. That kind of thing is best left to face-to-face (though I did notice a conspicuous lack of "likes" and "comments" besides a lone "too soon dude").

Unfortunately, given the huge impact WW2 has had on collective society, as well as history, I don't think you guys will ever really be able to live it down, much as everyone would like that to happen. By and large people will move on and most of the people I know (well, who aren't annoyed at the whole "Germany controls all the EU banks" thing) would agree the average German person is no more accountable to WW2 than I am. But nevertheless it's a predictable fact that for children learning about the world in schools, world war 2, Hitler, and the Nazis are going to be the first thing that is associated with Germany, and that kind of stain is hard to scrub out. Regardless. I've got your back, Jack!

Spoiler:

AVAS DEMON HAS A COOL UPDATE BTW

Last edited by d_what on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled hear as here lol)
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 am

I have ADHD and it doesnt really affect me all that much im just really inattentive and get bored easily, it's not like the "oh look a squirrel" thing that's all over the mass media

SHIT SHIT SHIT IT'S PEDRI ODINS DEMON IS PEDRI OH DANG OH DANG OH SHIT OH DANG
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:29 am

Dammit I misread that and thought you were saying it WAS "oh look a squirrel"

and now I can't get that out of my head, that you are halfway through writing a post before a Squirrel appears outside your window and you immediately drop everything to watch said Squirrel Sad why can't reality be that adorable. I would TOTALLY drop everything if I saw a squirrel. I do it for Butterflies and Dragonflies too (if the dragonflies are blue and shiny). But then I like nature.

(was it not really obvious that if he had a demon it'd be pedri? Like... colour scheme and all. Aaaagh I wish the plot moved faster)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:35 am

Yeah it was but come on it's still pretty cool

Well I'm in connecticut so a squirrel is no big deal here there's like a million of em, but if there was like. A deer or a groundhog or something then yeah i would look.

Damn I love the beatles. Little off topic but "Martha My Dear" is like the best freakin song.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 am

Yeah, I have ADD and I don't get distracted all the time either. There is a difference between having trouble concentrating and being distraced by EVERYTHING

Also, I am aware and accept that many people associate Germany with nazis, I'm not happy about it but I accept it. But I hate it when people use the term Nazi as if it'd mean someone who is very strict about something. That just seems like it makes light of what the nazis actually did.

Furthermore, the term "shitlord" is totally offensive to me (because I'm the Overlord and using "-lord" slurs is, like, totally uncool dude)
 mspa

Lastly, that was a great update but yeah, who DIDN'T know that was going to happen?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Damn I feel left out now. Is everyone ADD here? If so can I get a badge so I feel included? It doesn't have to have any relevant text on it. "I'm 8 Today!" will do. I think the Grammar Nazi thing started less as a "Nazis are strict" thing and more of a "Grammar Nazis have a disproportionate response" thing.

Also,

SHITLORD SHITLORD STOP OPPRESSING ME SHITLORD SHITLORD

lol sorry
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

d_what wrote:Damn I feel left out now. Is everyone ADD here? If so can I get a badge so I feel included? It doesn't have to have any relevant text on it. "I'm 8 Today!" will do. I think the Grammar Nazi thing started less as a "Nazis are strict" thing and more of a "Grammar Nazis have a disproportionate response" thing.

Sure, have a "This is a badge" badge. As for the grammar thing, I guess I can see that but I still think nazi isn't the word that should be used here...

As for the second part...

Spoiler:
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Dammit OJ, sometimes your jokes are uncannily like my own. Only last saturday did I give someone a long overdue postcard that said

"To Kayla

This is a postcard.

From Eoin".

This is not the first time this has happened and it's scary :O Did you know I totally invented Bronzor?

*cue thread segue into ideas we've all had before a company made them mainstream making us all consider wearing tinfoil hats in the future*
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Uuuugh i wrote a rap battle between barack obama and mitt romney for a history project before the epic rap battles of history did it but i didnt actually record it and put it onto youtube uNTIL THE ERB ONE ALREADY CAME OUT GODDAMMIT
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:45 pm

I was wondering how that was relevant to anything until I read my post again... now I get it.

I want pills made of concentrated, dried soda that I can drop into glasses of carbonated water! And then Soda Stream happens? But it's shit so that's okay. And my mom "invented" an app that calls Taxis, only... it already existed for a while.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:44 pm

I TOTALLY INVENTED UNTAPPING AS A COST FOR MAGIC CARDS WHEN I MADE ONE OF MY OWN SETS AND THEN THEY ACTUALLY MADE UNTAPPING AS A COST HAPPEN AND I WAS LIKE "WHOA!"
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 pm

I drew the basic shape of loudred except in my design the ears were his eyes and he had huge razor sharp teeth in his mouth and large claws.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Yeah my bronzor was a floaty hexagonal shape resting on the same point with a similar eyes and mouth and round balls on the corners, except a different colour, no nose and I may have given it floaty arms.

And it evolved into a dodecagon so it's probably better for everyone that Game Freak took over.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 pm

bronzor doesn't have a mouth or nose

also to respond to that post like thirteen pages ago, no my birthday is still like a week away! i think i misclicked when setting up my profile or something. hold on lemme go see if i can fix it
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 pm

i don't know what's been going on but don't be sitting around in here calling each other shitlords and retarded, you bunch of shitlords.

in all seriousness, be kind to each other. i know i generally take a laisseiz-faire approach to being admin but that's because i know you kids take care of yourselves for the most part. keep making it so i don't have to use any admin powers.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 pm

I do have to ask now, d_what: do you go on /r/TumblrInAction by any chance? Because it sure seems like you do.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:32 am

I still find it amazing that this thread can cover 10+ topics per page of posts, and that we can all pretty much work out our differences without divine intervention or otherwise. Love y'all.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:35 am

Yeah, I agree

Hey, wanna help me with a descision?
I am planning to build a B/G/U or G/U EDH deck based around +1/+1 counters, should I buy "Devour for Power"? Most cards in it don't support my theme too well, but it has some lovely black cards and is the best way to get a B/G/U commander that fits my theme.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 am

Nope! I go on TumblrAtRest. It's far more benign and better for the sole dammit soul sorry my shoes have been falling apart and it's really bugging me. Any time I DO go on TiA I find myself objecting politely to the commenters (but silently, 'cause I don't have an account) because most of the time they're heavily biased and are only there for the lols. TumblrAtRest is far more my kind of thing, plus they give references and know their fallacies. And anyway if I DO go on TiA then I feel sexist because TiA rips on Tumblr and that side of Tumblr is typically Feminist, so I feel obligated to balance it out by visiting some RedPill Mens Right stuff and disagree with those guys too, but... the TiA stuff is just stupid and prejudiced. Red Pill is genuinely disgusting. So yeah. I don't care what the cause is, if it's illogical and can't be justified rationally I'm against it, and I will have concrete reasons for being so. I'd make a decent social justice warrior if it wasn't for the fact the term is no longer remotely a good thing.

Bronzor kinda has a nose? And it has a ring around it that is kinda like a mouth. I mean, it's made out of metal, so it's hard to be sure... and Muffinz NO FAIR THIS MEANS YOU GET TWO BIRTHDAYS

((it's okay Hanky nobody was calling anybody shitlord or *don't worry iT, I gotcha covered*
Spoiler:
, that was actually...kind of...the point of the conversation??? Mind you, Captain and OJ got pretty close >Neutral Sit, doggies SIT! Good boys.))
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 am

Haha, my shoes at home are also faling appart but I bought new ones a few days ago. Maybe I should make a photo of my old ones so you can see how much they were falling appart
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 am

TiA actually does feature some loonies from the Redpill side (primarily from this one awful site called Return of Kings), but anyone with half a brain does have to concede that it's got far more content devoted to radical feminists, because they're more prevalent on tumblr (which is the primary focus of the sub). And while the comments do lean heavily towards the sarcastic circlejerk, you will still find serious discussions about why the argument in question is terrible, both in terms of unintended consequences and logical fallacies. Also, I've found that in general, the userbase tends to be pretty sympathetic to the more reasonable side of social justice issues, and any truly racist/sexist/homophobic/what have you comment invariably gets downvoted into oblivion. I can still see why you might prefer TumblrAtRest, though; sometimes the crazy shown on TiA can be a bit too much to handle.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am

Oh, certainly. The way that side of tumblr paints TiA is wildly incorrect; by and large they're there because they know how wrong all that tumblr stuff is, not because they're "neckbeard woman-hater virgins". But after a point, I suppose, people tire of making the same rational conclusions post after post and there's just not an awful lot of quality in the posts. When I see something stupid like *insert incredibly bigoted viewpoint here*, what I crave is someone saying "no, actually: That is incorrect, and the following are the reasons why" and having anybody explicitly give that kind of explanation in a single post is pretty rare. It's all either implicit or, as you said, a sarcastic circlejerk/a whole bunch of jokes and references to funny things. It doesn't provide me with what I'm looking for and then when someone with a genuinely bigoted response comes up (I find this is more common on TiA posts that are about Fat Activism, if you want to tear down the illogical things in someone's argument and provide sources then go right ahead, but you don't have to refer to them as land whales whilst doing so *siiiiigh*) they're what I remember the most over the bland, contentless circle jerky and the occasional logical gem.

Hence TumblrAtRest, which provides really decent stuff... but alas does not have as much content as I'd like. Whether that's because there's not as many people aware of it, or because there genuinely are less people fixing these problems than there are people making them, I don't know.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Hey, hey guys

lets do some llegal gambling!

All those who think Aegislash will be banned by next week put your ballots into THIS box (and by this box I mean say so) and those who don't etc etc. I honestly don't know, it's HUGELY subjective. Fact is, Aegislash is the most "perfect" Pokemon the game has had, but it's living in a world where nothing can really rival it, not yet anyway... the only advantage the No Ban crowd have is that 60% limit. It's gonna be SOOOOOOO CLOOOOOSE

yeah and after that there's probably gonna be a suspect test for either the genies, (Lando/Thundy I) or Mawile, with maybe Char X later. I don't really mind, Landorus is tough as nails to get around and a threat to any team, Thundy has a movepool for days, annoying typing, two useful abilities, excellent stats and most importantly priority thunderwave (though arguably he's keeping Hyper Offense in check so in that regard at least I wouldn't mind keeping him around) and Mega Mawile is... a little too strong. It's got basically everything it could ever want really. Anything that beats the standard SD set is going to lose to Substitute and vice-versa. It's just that fewer people run Substitute (dunno why, I would, Mawile can 2HKO mostly anything). Char X is a cool Pokemon and all but he seriously restricts team building too much. I feel I should always be running Talonflame and either Hippowdon/Tyranitar just to avoid getting swept. Why does Game Freak make us do these things Sad
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm not sure whether you misspelled legal or illegal mspa
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down