Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 14 of 41 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 14 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:07 am

Actualy, that IS kind of impressive. Playing the game with only 20 different pokemons, which even includes evolutions? Damn... My main team alone usually takes at least 15 pokemon by themself. I'm not sure I could do something like that.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 am

Yeah, 20 is kind of an achievement... mind you, I managed Emerald with 15, but only because all the Pokemon were boring until I unlocked that new area in the Safari Zone. I remember because my 15th Pokemon was my Shiny Aipom and my ID at the time was 00015. I was convinced there was a correlation Sad Emerald was a small enough game, I'm kinda surprised you could manage that on a game as varied as BW2.

Hmmmmm... judging by the existence of Kotakun's cuticles... I can deduce... that they are indeed...
something that has cuticles!!! :O

So my local yearly con starts tomorrow! Saturday will be my third year in a row doing the VGC tournament (though actually it uses Smogon rules). This year I think will be the hardest yet; the previous ones I could rely on my Weather teams to provide an advantage - to be fair, I made sure they were a defensive advantage; I don't like Weather teams but didn't want to lose to other weather teams... and there weren't any - but this year I'm going in without a Mega. And everyone's gonna have a mega D: And regardless of how they're used, Megas are always a little scary. Also, in previous years there was a "no legend" clause; this year there isn't, and I'm not using any. Or even any tutor moves (e.g Iron Head Excadrill ;_; ) Still, I think I have a good shot.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:02 am

I wish you the best of luck Very Happy

Also, assuming one of your mons was your starter, 15 including that shiny is an incedibly small number.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:03 am

I can probably guess what they were.

3 x Mudkips. Although in Emerald I may have picked Sceptile.
A Pelipper/ or maybe Wingull.
Something with Cut (I want to say Nincada? That would be 3 Pokemon since I would've landed the Shedinja too).
I'm pretty sure I had a Gligar in Emerald. I ended up with a Salamence too, but I think that may have been post-game?
MACHAMP just remembered I had a Machamp
assorted shitmons, probably from Safaris.

And then afterwards came Smeargle and Sudowoodo and probably Sableye and Lunatone since you can't get those in Ruby.

OH YEAH guys I think we should eventually have a tournament because the MSPAforum thread does sometimes and we always seem to avoid it. For the sake of being both competitive and different, I would suggest:

~~~a tournament where only Pokemon at C ranking or below are allowed!~~~
where C is from the Smogon viability lists. Which means it's like OU except... without the mons that define OU. Check out the list here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-viability-ranking-thread-v2.3502428/

We could fix the threshold to any other rank or subrank too, I just suggested C for the hell of it. B-, B and B+ are also decent - though B+ has MegaChomp and Gardevoir and Gyarados and MegaCham in it, and without the checks in the tiers above them, they might be too scary. And in any case regular 'Chomp is A+ so MegaChomp probably wouldn't be allowed.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:53 am

:I I would love to tourney with you guys but 1) traveling with family and 2) getting ready for college are taking up most of my time.

Gonna sit out on this one. Maybe next time! (Plus I love me some Alakazam which is in C+ rank?  Sad )
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 am

Aww, shoot, I'm never more then decent at stuff like that. Plus I suck at tiers. BUT, if we do it within the next ten days or so, I might actually have the possibility to join. Maybe. But I probably won't be able to get a team within ten days, so, never mind I guess...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:17 am

I definitely don't have time to get a team together in that short of a timespan. Also, what college are you going to, octi?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 am

I'm going to Carnegie Mellon!

(Also I finally got around to beating the E4 the first time around in HeartGold because I'm a lazy bum and got stuck in a cave a while back.)
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:30 am

Note: I was actually referring to C in general as opposed to C specifically, so Alakazam would be allowed Octi. But I suppose our biggest problem as a forum has always been timespans. I've trained so many Pokemon that bar megas I can throw something together pretty quick, yet I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks. Officially I don't stop being busy until August 8th, and then only a month left until my final year :O

You guys can practice on Showdown? Decent enough team building there. And you may have some C+ or below Pokemon anyway; build the team around those.

EDIT: why do we all call you Octi, did you ever ask us to call you that? Is it a subconscious reference to Powerpuff girls, or just language in it's purest form? Is it somehow sexist? If you were a guy would we call you Octo?? Why i instead of y? 

I should get back to work. I am far too easily distracted.

Last edited by d_what on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 am

Captain wrote:Also Dee guess what! We finally get that Mega Charizard event. Yayyyy, I can run Megazard Y now!
Lol, I just learned something very interesting about this event. Dw, OJ, do any of you guys want a Megazard X/Y?
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

Well in that case, I might be able to throw a team together in the time I have, though no promises that it'll be particularly polished! It seems that most of the Pokes I've bred for IVs are in higher ranks but I'll do my best.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:36 am

As far as I could tell that list barely had any pokemons in it, how could anyone build an interesting team from that?

EDIT/NINJA'D: Sure, I guess?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:37 am

PD OMG YES SO BADLY D: I'm not the biggest Char fan but DAMMIT THEY PLAY SO DIFFERENTLY, I have the right to use a zard of my own choosing!

Edit: OJ, the list is actually every single Pokemon EXCEPT those in the ranks above C+. And the Ubers I guess. The ones in C and D are just gonna be the ones that are better, that's all. Admittedly, most of the Megas are gone, but that's because most of the megas are really good.

Last edited by d_what on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:38 am

I still won't have time to put a team together, especially since I haven't had any practice coming up with a viable competitive team.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:42 am

cephalopodAscendant wrote:I still won't have time to put a team together, especially since I haven't had any practice coming up with a viable competitive team.

I haven't either, so we can be in the same boat Smile I've pretty much ignored the competitive of sixth gen... It'll be a fun experience though?
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 am

Hmm, I guess I could give it a try then...

I had a couple things I wanted to try anyways but I probably won't be able to do it in time while I have internet on my DS
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:53 am

That's why I think using Cs or below helps: You don't have to know about the competitive OU meta much because a C or below meta... is one I just created from thin air really. OU really is "defined" by the B and especially the A threats; C mons have an occasional starring role or reoccurring appearances but that's about it.

Alternatively, we could have a thing where the /average/ (or total!) of a persons team has to be below a certain margin. Say... C-. So you could have a Dmon, Dmon, Dmon, Dmon, Dmon, B+mon, where (for the sake of maths) D is worth 0, S is 10, everything between is a +1, and anything not ranked is automatically 0. That's a rather harsh margin though (C+ being 1; essentially the team score can't go past 6) so we might have to fiddle with it a bit. Perhaps with a better distributed scale.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:00 am

Sure, so the secret of getting a Megazard without going to a GAME shop: simply join to a connection called NintendoSpotPass5. I personally changed the SSID of my router, but I think creating a wifi hotspot with that name should work just as fine.
After this just join to that connection, start up X&Y go to Mystery gift and choose via Internet. You should get your Megazard.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:05 am

Bluh, this is too complicated for me, I've never been good with stuff depending on a meta. Why can't it be easy, like in MtG, where there are multiple formats and you can pick whichever you like, with metas like "boardwipes will get you killed", "win in the first two turns or blue will kick your ass" or "lol, this is a boosterdraft, there is no such thing as a meta" (bonus points to those who can guess which is which)

NINJA'D: That sounds sort of cheaty...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:11 am

:O PD if this works I love you forever

Would this work for all Gamestop events? Hell, any real-life event if the name is known? How does it work? How did you find it?

Also I had a go at doing some numbers for a weighted tournament. The ranks are assigned points as follows:

D  = 0
C- = 1
C  = 2
C+ = 5
B- = 7
B = 17
B+ = 20

And the limit is 20. Go on, try to break it. I dare you. Best you could do really (besides using horribly strong B+ mons) is two B- ranks, a C+ rank, a C- rank and a D rank. Ds are basically free.

EDIT: I downloaded thing thingy but it's not working for me and MEIN GOTTS did it come with a lot of adware. Fortunately I'm too smart for that... but not so smart that I can troubleshoot the program. I'd change the name of the one at home, but I'm not even sure if I can do that and it's pretty faulty in any case. I'd sooner do one here. I wonder if I can do it from my phone? :O
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:29 am

If you have a phone that's capable of creating wifi hotspot then yeah, that should work.
I only linked that program because it's free, unlike Connectify.

An acquaintance of mine from a local pokeclub found out how to do it. The reason it works is because Nintendo decided to distribute the Megazard via Internet with the specification that it can be only download from places with that specific SpotPass. However, the way 3DS recognizes SpotPass is that it checks the names of the available wifi connections and if it matches then it THINKS that you are in the correct place. This only works if the giveaway is via Internet, not local wireless.
This should work with Gamestop events too, IF the event is via Internet and you have a US version of X&Y.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:31 am

So technically the download is legit. Not legitimately legit; but the Pokemon itself is downloaded from Nintendo's servers, through a router pretending to be Game or Gamestop. Kinda like we're robbing it of a single Charizard, except the Charizards are infinite and noone cares.

woooh moral legitimacy yaaaaay
I'm gonna be THE most popular person in the VGC tournament on Saturday, thanks PD!
(I actually have my DS with me now... but I forgot to turn it off yesterday and it died. Ironically(?) the sole reason I had it on in the firstplace was to check to see how long the battery lasts for the convention. Results: Inconclusive, but at least 2 hours.)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 am

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna do that, I'm too lawful and I don't want to download some shady programm. Also, if it works, if "you have a US version of X&Y" then it might not work for me anyways.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:02 am

You have a US version of X or Y? I thought yours was German? Morally I see no problem here. It's a no loss for anybody involved (I don't have a GAME here since they went bankrupt, I'd go if I could) and the data is legitimate. In any case I'm only after the stone. It's not even legitimate like the way a cloned Gamestop RSE Deoxys is "legitimate"; this time it actually comes from Nintendo servers.

If it hurts no one* or nothing and doesn't set a bad example for anything, then I think it's okay, regardless of what it is. By all means try to think of counterexamples, it's how I function best.

(*that isn't a self imposed kind of hurt e.g. the sort of hurt that makes families do honour killings)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 am

Nah, this is a UK giveaway, so it's for EU version. I think you just misinterpreted what I wrote OJ. The US only thing was about Gamestop giveaways.
It's a bit morally ambiguous. I mean on one hand you aren't supposed to be able to do it, I guess, it's an oversight that you can do this. On the other hand it IS a free pokemon so it's not like you cause any harm doing it.
Ninja'd by Dw.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 41 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 41  Next