Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 24 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 24 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by d_what Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:03 pm

The votes are in! 

Aegislash received a 62% majority vote in favor of being Banned from OU to the Uber tier. Reminder: 60% was needed for a ban. It was pretty close - you have to hand it to Smogon for implementing a 60% instead of 50%. It's close, but you can at least say for sure the majority of the educated players are pro ban. Do I want Aegislash banned? No, not personally, but that's the thing: My arguments are entirely personal. For the sake of the game, I guess Aegislash really is OP, albeit only slightly...

If you had told me this after Aegislash had been revealed I wouldn't have been surprised. 150 stats on an priority forme change, a buffed protect that sharply lowers attack and Steel/Ghost? It's like GF were trying to make something seem overpowered.

Myself, I'd have capped it at 130, 135 max and made it a 1 stage drop. 2 stages is overkill.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:09 pm

whee whos next on the über chopping block?
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 pm

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 24 Tf2_medic_by_biggreenpepper-d5cpw3n
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:57 am

I don't know what you're trying to tell me captain, but it's not Talonflame. It may ultimately get suspected, though, it's powerful enough to warrant that at least. Especially post-flying gem.

I'm not completely sure, the Smogon forums are a little messy and hard to navigate - I don't know if the round 1 suspect thread is even up or even if one exists, that said, there's been a definite sway that it's Mega Mawile. Char X or one of the Genies is a definite contender, but I'm not sure whether Thundurus existing is a good thing or a bad thing... I hate it, personally, but priority thunder wave holds back an awful lot of nasty things.

MHeracross and MPinsir can stop running EQ for coverage and can run the superior Close Combat instead; I dunno if MPinsir is reliable enough to be suspected but if powerful mons like Mawilr, Charizard and Thundurus hit ubers it mightn't have enough checks anymore, so it's a possibility.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:21 am

sORRY TO INTERRUPT BUT
I JUST WATCHED THE FIRST TWO GRAVITY FALL EPISODES OF SEASON 2
I FORGOT HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS SHOW

(also like. actually terrifying body horror. in a disney show. for kids. how)
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 am

No that was actually more a response to kotakun's "über chopping block". That's the tf2 medic. Who has an übercharge gun that makes you invulnerable, and who is kinda a mad doctor who likes to cut people up.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 am

Season 2? I'll have to take a look at that!

I'll have to take a look at that MBTI test, too
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 am

Those who have a 3DS+XY and a WiFi connection; any of you still interested in doing an ORAS EggSwapLocke? Well, not a -Locke, just some random egg Pokemon to start your game, how ever many you want. I don't really have any set ideas for a team - Hoenn has some of my favourites, yes, but I still have those original favourites (mostly) and I respect the memory of them too much to train them again. Also I already have a competitive Absol and if I'm gonna train a Medicham it's gonna be competitive too. So I'm fine with randomising some team slots but obviously I understand why some people wouldn't want that.

Related; my PSS status says "egg trades!" So every now and then I get a random egg trade or two; I tell myself I'll commit to using whatever pops out - within a certain bound, of course. So I got a Piplup first - which would be cool except I'm already using Mudkip. Then I got a Phone, cool but game breaking early on and useless late, also water, also boring. Then I got a Fennekin. Lolno. Finally I got two consecutive Beldum - I've never used a Metagross before, so I guess this could be a fun opportunity. Also, Beldum doesn't learn anything bar Take Down until level 20, which is gonna be pretty tough. I'm still looking for more eggs, though!

Another problem: Do I bank the hatched level 1s and then deposite them in ORAS, easy, of should I trade the eggs over so I can hatch them in it and maintain the usual EXP gains? I don't know how I'll trade them 'cause I only have one 3DS. Maybe one of you guys can help me when ORAS releases? I expect we'll all be playing then.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:42 am

I rarely start a new game right away when it gets released
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:54 am

I'm up for some egg trades! I haven't really decided my team for ORAS besides the obligatory 'zam, so most of my team is up to chance, anyway.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 am

I'm kind of excited! Having byes (i.e I'm allowed to say "I'm not using this") does ruin it a little, since it's more selective than random, but nevertheless I'm looking forward to starting the game with weird Pokemon that I probably wouldn't ever get to play a game with. Also the difficulty is probably lower since eggmons are statistically superior to caught mons, but the game is easy anyway soooo mspa

I also love giving people eggs, but it sucks that most of the time I never find out what it was I gave away. There's a selection of around 30 that I could end up giving... I messed around with the idea of rigging it and giving away Snubbull eggs, but decided against it in the end.
(Though playing a new game with a Snubbull would actually be kinda cool. Physically offensive Fairy with mad coverage, and of course who has ever used Snubbull before anyway??)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:45 pm

i think if you are replacing the starter you should prehatch it and transfer it else you should just send the egg over and hatch it in oras
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:05 pm

I totally agree!

*mad thread silence*

Anyway. I was browsing the SmogForums a few minutes ago and happened across a particular thread; users were suggesting Mega Pokemon for ones that don't have them yet. Normally I'm against this kind of thing since none of it ever happens and often the stuff is either not feasible or blatantly favourism. But they came up with some pretty neat (and entirely possible, I think) abilties! Thoughts?

(sample)
Vanguard: On Mega Evolution and switch-in, raises user's Defense one stage if opponent's Attack is higher, or raises user's Special Defense one stage if opponent's Special Attack is higher. Users: Gallade Y. ((like a defensive Download!))

Amplifier: Sound moves hit for 1.3x normal damage. Users: Audino, Noivern 

Swordsman: Boosts Blade, Cut, Slash, and Sword moves by 50%. Users: Samurott, Gallade X ((precedence in Iron Fist and that ability Tyrantrum has))

Scarecrow: User is immune to Flying moves. Users: Maractus. ((IMO this is funny and actually believable? Also genuinely good... if every good Flying type didn't have another STAB SE against Grass anyway))

Doppler: Adds a 50% boost to moves by weather: Fire for Sun, Water for Rain, Ice for Hail, and Rock for Sandstorm Users: Heliolisk ((Balance = debatable))

Propagate: Uses Leech Seed on switch-in. Users: Parasect. (( Very Happy ))

Dream Fulfillment: Boosts Special Attack by 50% while asleep; user can choose from moves while asleep. Users: Musharna. ((balance is probably off again on this one - the Sp.Atk boost might be OTT. Also needs a better name >:O ))

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/megas-for-all-read-the-whole-1st-post-and-check-current-slate.3507391/

EDIT: Called it. Mega Mawile is being suspect tested. I don't care either way TBH; it's never a Pokemon that I've enjoyed facing in battle because of it's mad strength, typing and Sucker Punch (and I've never seen a Substitute set despite it being, IMO, the BEST set) but then my teams lean more towards multiple checks than dedicated counters so no single Pokemon is ever too much of a problem.
That said. 
I'm pretty sure a +2 MegaMaw Sucker Punch OHKOs Excadrill and TFlame, and Play Rough/Iron Head/Focus Punch will probably maul even physically Defensive Tyranitar, so actually I've been pretty lucky where matchups are concerned.
In any case the hate for Mawile seems much more virile than that for Aegislash. I'm gonna guess it gets a ban.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:58 pm

mawile 4 ou 4 evur
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 pm

Retroactively 4evur, that way RSE gets to mess around with it too. Yaaaaaay

Also is it just me or does UU look REALLY fun this gen??? I dunno how it is in practice but LOOKIT ALL THE FUN MONS THAT ARE VIABLE Very Happy https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-uu-viability-ranking-thread-virizion-yanmega-discussion.3500340/

and, uhh, Blissey.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:44 am

So apparently the Poké Ball Vivillon is now available in the US as a wi-fi event until the 12th. Just thought y'all might like to know.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me get the last few Pokemans I need for the National 'dex? I'm missing Zapdos, Mew, Lugia, Dusknoir, Tornadus, and Landorus.

Any help is appreciated!
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:49 am

Hmmm, some new Megas, guys.
Also, additional info about them Pikachus
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:05 am

OMG lol

Only yesterday on Smogon some guy was asking what he should teach his Altaria

And he said he wanted a normal move because, and I quote, "in case mega Altaria gets Pixilate"

And WOW that was a long shot but WELL DONE TO THAT GUY haha
(I'm also delighted about rabbit. Less so about the third... Siiiiiigh)

(edit: Not because of the design, I don't mind the design, in fact 1st stage -> 2nd Stage -> Mega would actually be pretty coherent visually, but because 1) favouritism 2) more unnecessary dragons (obviously Game Freak are still in love with them) and 3) jesus christ it does NOT want +100 stat points!!! too much!!! It gets DD, with 20 extra Atk points it out-powers mega Pinsir, it can still go mixed or special if it wants, it gets Roost and has the bulk to use it... also Intimidate in the regular form makes it like Mawile, i.e really easy to switch in and DD. Seriously whyyyy Sad  even with a weird stat spread I can't see this working out. Drastically lower the defenses in exchange for a slightly buffed Atk/Sp.Atk and huge speed increase?? Ignore Atk for Sp.Atk boosts?? graaaah)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:15 am

Mega Lopunny is kind of odd, but I don't care too much about regular Lopunny anyways, so whatever. It looks like Mega Altaria is following in Mega Ampharos's footsteps. Not sure how I feel about Pikachu getting those fancy moves when it's dressed up, although we still don't know enough about how that works, so if it turns out to be just the one Pikachu, I have less issue with it. Mega Salamence seems pretty interesting; just three more pseudolegendaries to go now (Dragonite, Hydreigon, Goodra). Also EVENT SHINY BELDUM WITH ITS MEGA STONE HELL YES SHINY MEGA METAGROSS LOOKS AWESOME.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:13 am

i still want megamegayanma or megameganium
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:26 am

Lol and here was me saying only further up the page how I was gonna start with a Beldum. Now everyone else is, too :B

(although TBH in both ORAS and XY I kind of wish they held back on giving out the Blazikenite/Charizardite/Metagrossite etcetera, because having access to them immediately in story mode means you never really get to experience their regular forms. Holding it back a little means that the pokemon experiences progression similar to a regular evolution. I'll try not to use Metagrossite at all unless I'm really bored.)

For me Lopunny is the most interesting, because it has the most catching up to do. It gets HJK now, which is nice, and Normal/Fighting + Scrappy gives Perfect Neutral Coverage. But its stats are poor, especially those defenses. Assuming it gets a modest speed increase, and hoping for a massive Atk boost, it is still pooped on by anything faster and *especially* priority moves. With Megas, the higher the base HP, the easier they are to use, saving incredible defensive typings like Mawile has. I hope whatever's left over after Atk and Speed goes entirely into Def or Sp.Def (though not both. Erring towards Sp.Def since Limber allows switches into Thunder Wave, and Thundurus/Rotom are special attackers), though most priority is physical...
Looks-wise, it's fine and the quirks are pretty cool (subtle tank-top and ripped tights references) but it loses any "charm" the original had. Lets be frank here. The original one was obviously ripping off the female stereotype. 'Dem hips, for a start! Now they've toned it down, for right or for wrong.

And Altaria is guaranteed to be decent if not aactually very very good. It has a unique typing with incredible defensive benefits and access to powerful Fairy moves and Fireblast (and really, why would Altaria run Dragon moves now anyway?? redundant and poor coverage), in addition to Roost, Dragon Dance (you never know) and COTTON GUARD. Cotton guard could be pretty scary if a lot of Altaria's points go into Sp.Def. I can't see them making too much of an Atk boost, though I suppose it could happen. Looks-wise it looks "correct". I mean, of course a Mega Altaria was gonna look like that. And it doesn't actually look bad, merely fluffy. I'd own one if it was real.

Then there's Salamence.

Anywho I like the Pika Moves but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how a Pikachu summons Icicles. Unless the clothes are a hold item? Hope not, Icicle!Chu really wants that Light Orb. A physical set is actually possible now! Bolt Beam coverage!

EDIT: You mean Megayanmega?
p.s now that non-Hoenn Pokemon (well, and Diancie) that are Megas are confirmed for ORAS, and since Sableye confirms GF really DO like symmetry... I'm gonna jump on to the  "Gallade will actually get a Mega" ship. ((And maybe Forretress, though that's me dreaming. Poor Forretress Sad ))
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:49 am

GameFreak is pulling out all the creative stops! Clothes = new moves for Pikachu? More clouds (heck yes my shiny Swablu will finally see some use)? Aerilate Salamence?

I don't know why, but ever since Gen III I always thought that Flygon and Salamence were a pair. Like Pinsir and Heracross. Maybe because of that Jirachi movie, now that I think of it. So now I'm a little bit miffed that Flygon doesn't have a mega... yet.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 am

I never really thought it needed a Mega! Flygon has such a cool design as it is, it's really a wonderful Pokemon. All it needs is a modest stat increase / a better ability + Slightly improved movepool and it could really wreck faces. And I don't think it'll get those things if it gets a Mega... which is why I don't want it to. Regular Flygon is too cool not to be usable Sad

That said, because of the aforementioned patterning thing, and the fact that the new contest-y character for some reason has a Pokemon with a new Mega, I'm also gonna jump ship and guess Flygon has one as well. Against my better instincts, mind.
Looker. Mega Toxicroak. Please? :0
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Altaria: Damn, cloudbird. You got... Cloudier. Jesus, Pixilate? They really wanted this thing to be viable. Dragon/Fairy is a great typing, too.

Lopunny: Good for you, rabbit. You done good. I actually really like the design, and Normal/Fighting is really badass. I could see this thing actually being pretty good.

Salamence: Fucking christ, Salamence. Hahahaha. This design is pretty much  the stupidest thing I've ever seen, and I love it. I'll be picking up one of these things. Alright, let's start a bet. How many days after the start of the ORAS meta do you think MSala will be banned?

Pikachu: Pikachu has no business using most of those moves. Electric Terrain? Flying Press? Icicle Crash? It's funny at least.

God, I can't wait for OJ's reaction to all this hahaha
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 41  Next