Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

+16
Sharpedo
phantasmalDexterity
cerebralconfinement
Crobat
kotakun
Xaber
ilikeoctopus
Captain
invisibleTerrarium
OverlordJ
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
Dregadude
Spark Eletran
Hanky Panky
d_what
20 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

What Hoenn starter are you picking?

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_lcap7%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_lcap21%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_lcap14%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_lcap14%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_lcap43%General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 Empty Re: General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

Post by Dregadude Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:25 pm

I recently learned that British people pronounce controversy as kuhn-TRAH-vur-sea instead of KAHN-truh-vur-sea and ugh every time I hear that I make an attempt to rip out my eardrums.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 Empty Re: General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway.

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Or how they insist on referring to math as maths. Grammatically, you use it as a singular noun ("math is hard/fun/whatever"), so that "s" on the end just sounds weird.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Let me see if I can make a link: http://www.dict.cc/?s=firstly

EDIT: Looks like it worked
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 pm

youre awl beeing overtly pedantish hear yew kin sea hough eye kare alot nothing aboot grammer dont mater an bited
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:04 pm

kotakun wrote:jesus fucking christ

That made me physically cringe.

Last edited by invisibleTerrarium on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:13 pm

invisibleTerrarium wrote:
Code:
[quote=kotakun]jesus fucking christ[/quote]

That made me physically cringe.

And those bad quote tags made me cringe.

Also, I only stuck those code tags in there so that it wouldn't parse your [/quote] tag and close out my quote block.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:34 am

Wow, I am a huge moron. I didn't even look at my post haha

Lemme fix that
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:55 am

But Hanky, by its very nature English is full of contradictions and is itself an imperfect language, so any officially excepted word can't really be uncorrect, accept for wrong usage of course. Your point stems from the fact it's redundant when compared to First, Second etc. But that's just English again. Why use spoke when said does the job, or sprinted when "went fast" exists? It's a specific version of the word first and exists to be used as such. You can't claim it's actually wrong, especially when it has so much documented use. And typically englsih tries to avoid using explicit enumeration in anything, so outside of certain texts, using 1., 2., 3. WOULD be incorrect english. And it really is regional: Firstly, not in common usage in the United States, so used anywhere else.

Alot isn't even a word, it's a common misspelling. Alright isn't really a word, but it's one with a compound root, and there are plenty of other words which are similar and nobody complains about, and it has a distinct meaning so if anything it's just language evolution in play. Irregardless is terrible but Webster was hardly perfect and can't be blamed for everything. He was gonna spell "tongue" "tung".

Math. Maths. Math. Maths? Eh. I'll have to Google it before I commit to anything.

(In VEN tor-y)
(IN ven tor-y)
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:49 am

*Screeches angrily*

Can we all just shut the fuck up about the English language? Language elitism is one of the things I literally cannot fucking stand. The whole idea that your version of the language is better than ours is infuriating. This even applies to people who use more colloquial forms of the language being looked down on on other members of society. It's just hugely dickish and I loathe it.

Language is a very fluid thing. The aim of language is to make yourself understood. Really, when you consider that, it's there REALLY any fucking difference between maths and math? Both mean the same thing, and both American and English speakers will understand both. So please, just fucking shut up because I'm really intensely sick of reading this bullshit. Your version of English is NOT better. So just shut your ugly trap about it and just let all your idiotic elitism go.

Grrrr....

Spoiler:
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:58 am

I agree with the above, although maybe not so ...vehemently.

Happy birthday Homestuck! Time will tell if the Final Fucking Update comes today...
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 am

looking back at my post from yesterday im sorry for my extremely obvious error that i had in there i am so ashamed for that
Spoiler:

but regardless happy five years of homestuck heres to five more years
yeah heres to the final update not happening until 2019
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 am

Captain wrote:*Screeches angrily*

Can we all just shut the fuck up about the English language? Language elitism is one of the things I literally cannot fucking stand. The whole idea that your version of the language is better than ours is infuriating. This even applies to people who use more colloquial forms of the language being looked down on on other members of society. It's just hugely dickish and I loathe it.

Language is a very fluid thing. The aim of language is to make yourself understood. Really, when you consider that, it's there REALLY any fucking difference between maths and math? Both mean the same thing, and both American and English speakers will understand both. So please, just fucking shut up because I'm really intensely sick of reading this bullshit. Your version of English is NOT better. So just shut your ugly trap about it and just let all your idiotic elitism go.

Grrrr....

Spoiler:

let's step off the hate train for just a minute. it's not about elitism. it's not about telling people they're stupid. it's about education. correct and proper usage of english or any other language for that matter is ESSENTIAL for communication. it's not about making people feel dumb; it has more to do with making sure they can reliably state their varying opinions.

i'm open to the idea that some people will hold it above others' heads, but that's not my objective.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 am

There's a big difference between education and linguistic differences. I'm of the opinion that there is no "correct" English, or any language for that matter. Who decides what is "correct" English anyway? I don't actually know for English, but I do know that for French, it's a bunch of rich old white men sitting in Paris who dictate what is "correct" French and what is not? Why should they have the power to dictate how an entire language is spoken? It's complete bullshit for anyone to say "this is correct". Because that implies that there is a "correct" way of speaking. Which is just totally wrong. Because it reduces the vast cultural differences in the different places the language are spoken. The US culture has some pretty big differences with British culture, and the language echoes that really nicely. So when you suggest the idea that there is a "correct" way of speaking a language, you're erasing the culture to a degree of the places that don't use the same language as conforming to what you see as "correct". Especially when those who decide what is "correct" are often so distant from how the majority of the population speaks.

That's why it annoys me. You can communicate perfectly without using this idiotic notion of "correct" grammar. Granted, there are in each language grammar rules that are vital to that language. And those do need to be taught, or you're not speaking that language at all. But once you get past the base stuff and move into the more specific, nit-picky stuff, it's dumb and I dislike it. Yes, there are some times when I see someone typing "your" instead of "you're" and I think it's wrong, but that's just because that's the way I was taught to write it. The former way simply reduces it from a difference in spelling to a difference in context. Rather than relying on a spelling difference to work out exactly what is being said, you have to infer from the context of the sentence. From learning a few different languages myself, I can tell you that you only become a master at that language when you can do this inferring from context. So yeah. Kinda rambling at this point so I'll stop.

I mean really my main pivotal reason for involving myself in this argument what you american users claiming your version of English is the "correct" way and that British English is therefore "incorrect". Which in my view it definitely isn't. Both are.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:53 am

Especially since "firstly" isn't even wrong at all.

"Firstly" may appear more formal than "first" and is often recommended for the formal enumeration of arguments.

adverb 1. in the first place; first.

Definition of FIRSTLY : in the first place : first

In other words, firstly is a synonym for first and I was able to find it in ALL online dictionaries so far.

It's not even british english, it's just regular english:

Used to introduce a first point or reason

Used to introduce a first point or reason

So unless someone can explain to me why a word that I learned in school and that I can find in all online dictionaries is supposed to be wrong, I am doubting that it is wrong at all.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:41 pm

(pssst i aint getting on this subject)
(but just popping up to tell it that well)
(considering hussie said he doubted itd happen today, it prolly wont)
(we might have some news tho)
(maybe on that amazing secret project everybody would wonder how did they live without? Surprised)
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Oh, sorry guys, I forgot to tell you. That was me. It was a big secret planned between myself and the Huss on the Tumblrs. I am the amazing secret project everybody can't really live without. Sorry for forgetting.

How DID you even manage without me anyway??? What with all my, all my, all my,,,
qualities?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:05 pm

guys :OOO
as my own 4/13 commemoration
im getting a hope hoodie! Very Happy
i mean its gonna take a while cause its coming from the us
all the way up to brazil
BUT ITS COMIN

ill be like all my hip friends with their homestuck clothes
like nelly and her heart hoodie
or gela and his breath one
and uh
who else has homestuck clothes here again

EDIT: OHMYGODGUYS
HOLY HIST
SHTISTHISTIHST
IMFREAKINGOUT
LOOK AT THIS
ITS GONNA HAPPEN
AAAAAAAH
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:23 pm

that tweet right there thats what was in the works for today happy homestuck day everyone now get back to something else
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:57 pm

I have a time hoodie! But it's super warm here now so not wearing it.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:25 pm

I have the tarot cards, do they count?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm considering getting a Light shirt at some point, but I have no Homestuck merchandise at the moment and no immediate plans to get any.

Actually the color scheme of the Light items is totally not something I'd want to wear normally??? Bright yellows and oranges are definitely not my thing. If anything I'd want something nice and subdued like Space or Void, but I am too Light-y and cannot wear those :I
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:04 pm

I have Lexxy's beta kids poster :3 bought it years ago and I love it even if it took 8+ months to get here! It reminds me of all of my friends and is full of happy thoughts.

General chat: Talk about literally anything because you do anyway. - Page 11 Together_by_konpeito_ko-d34im16

I'm so excited about the thingy! I hope he announces it before the night ends though; I don't want to wait until a stinkin' Monday Sad
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 pm

http://www.paradoxspace.com/

please dont be somewhere like england or further east because your prayers have been answered
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:25 pm

GUYS
THE THING
IT
IS
HEREEEE
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Very Happy
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next