Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread!

+7
DicksMcgee
Xaber
invisibleTerrarium
OverlordJ
d_what
Sandstriker
Hanky Panky
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread! Empty 'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread!

Post by d_what Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 am

Hey guys!

Seeing as we're all ALL OVER THE PLACE and all over the place unfortunately does not mean "here", I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated place to share life events and announcements for sudden appearances/disappearances. Going away for a week or two? Tell us here! Got a big project due? Likewise! OMG you exist?? Great! Tell us all about it.

This thread can also be used for general real life event discussion so's we don't clutter up the main threads with "bonus content" or meta talk. Maybe this thread will die too, but that's the circle of life Very Happy

So... what's going on with you lately? ;D
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread! Empty Re: 'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread!

Post by d_what Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:24 am

FIRS TPOTS LOLS

I'm here so I thought I'd start.

I'm in my final year of university and my Final Year Project (FYP, done across two semesters with constant supervisor, uh, supervision and worth 3 times the average module grade or approximately 15% of my grade on graduation) is due in two (extended to four) weeks so I'm very busy with that.

For those that are interested I chose to advance the status of our machine overlords by getting into A.I, all hail skynet etc etc. My project is a Neural Network with the aim to be able to detect human faces without coding specific algorithms for recognition. It's pretty cool but it's really high level/abstract and Math-y. (or Mathsy if you're myself/Captain/Tinning) I've only got 4 java classes (programming term, not university classes) and only two of them are relevant because there's hardly any code in it Surprised Loads of testing though. I hope I do well. Maybe it'll get me a cool Machine Learning job post graduation?? Building terminators???

My dad found my 3DS too yesterday so that's another worry gone Very Happy Don't really have a lot of time to use it but I still have to trade everyone those giveaway gifts Surprised And maaaaaybe train a MMetagross since the OU Suspect test found it NOT worth banning, who'd have guessed. And also I should battle Spark and Ninten on Smash because I haven't done that yet. MII FIGHTERS AGOGO!

Finally, sometime in May I'm gonna visit London for the first time with some of my friends, so that should be fun. Even if I'm not really interested in anything in London mspa That is all!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread! Empty Re: 'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread!

Post by OverlordJ Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Oh wow, your project is awesome. So, you are working on the mechanical overlords? I'll give you 200(!) fictional points if you work on Skaianet instead of Skynet.

As for your DS, good for you Smile

Me? I am once again messing up my studying, by fucking up my exams. In good new though, once that is sorted out I will finally get to start my DnD session I have been planning for a while now, so at least I got that going for me.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:11 pm

i uh

warframe
work
school
social life
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:32 pm

I've been busy with my youtube channel and another forum which was recently deleted. So I'm hoping I'm back for good, though I know I say this a lot.
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:41 pm

:O I make an "i'm not dead" thread only to promptly die myself! Sorry about that folks. Demo day ("D-Day") for my FYP is this week and I haven't had much time to procrastinate on social things.

(I make time for other kinds of procrastinating, but let's not focus on that.)

Anywho, heya Sandstriker long time no anything! That...actually applies to pretty much everyone here? I wonder if this forum will ever get deleted Surprised I mean, it's got to be costing SOMEONE something down the line. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not pressing a lot of ads that show up here, so idk where forumotion gets its revenue. It's not like we have MSPAForum's user numbers.

...I should get back to work ;_; it's 3:41 in the morning right now...
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:40 pm

I did my demo Very Happy my supervisor said "it was the fastest [he'd] ever heard me speaking" (dammit... because I'm already pretty fast when I'm doing presentations) but conversely I was clear and concise and understandable for once and didn't throw any verbal "grenades", so all in all it went really well and everybody got to finish 15 minutes early because I was so quick Very Happy he said if he had to grade it he'd give me 8 out of 10, which... is kinda meh? Still an A though? But he said if I'd only mentioned "error surface" that's all I would have needed to get more marks. Two words isn't much of a divider between 8 and 9 imo Neutral But it isn't graded anyway so who cares!

gotta write 60 pages on the topic now for Monday. That ain't so bad really, what sucks is the code isn't actually finished so I don't have a lot to talk about Sad BUSY BUSY BUSY BUSY! This report is worth 7% of my entire QCA/GPA on graduating. It's pretty huge.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:27 am

I'm keeping my fingers crossed or however you say it in english.

(Ich drück dir die Daumen)
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:38 am

Yeah no that's how you say it in English :O Fingers crossed indeed! Sometimes I cross all of my fingers and then make my thumbs overlap for EXTRA bonus luck.

Then I pretend my hands are a spider!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Ugh sorry. Been absent from a lot of stuff. Been dealing with a lot of anxiety and mental health issues lately??? yeah. it's not something i'd like to talk about but i thought yall should know thats why ive been out of here for awhile
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

that's fine iT we're here only if you want us to be Very Happy

well to be entirely accurate that's not really true. OJ and myself are here regardless of who wants us to be and then everybody else has effed off Surprised it's phanDex's birthday and nobody's around! Not even phanDex! D:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Yeah, the two of us will be here FOREVER!

But yeah, if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine. And if you ever do want to talk about it, we'll be here. Do what feels best for you.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:38 pm

thank you uwu
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaber Fri May 08, 2015 8:20 am

*kicks open the forum doors and stares all you nerds down*

Hi! How's it going? It's been almost a year since I've last graced these forums with my wit and intelligence. Sorry about that: I've been getting busier (see below), and there've been a few mental health issues that I'm still dealing with.
I turned 17 pretty recently, and I'm in my last year of high school right now, so I've got the HSC this year (Australia's version of final exams, pretty similar to the SATs), which is kind of a relief and terrifying because that means Im almost done with high school and I don't know what I'm going to do next. I'm probably going to take a gap year next year so I can get a job and maybe go traveling and just figure out what I want to do (It helps that I'm young for year 12, so I'll still be the same age as most people going to uni in 2017).
Since I last posted here I've been doing a lot of writing, so that's something I'm all right at now I guess? I started skateboarding pretty regularly and broke my wrist two months ago doing that. Somehow I got into an advanced chem camp thing for most of January, and spent two weeks pretending to understand what the hell was going on (quantum chemistry is like. what. and by the time we started thermodynamics i'd given up on trying to understand anything because i wanted to sleep). I got my braces off. I don't like Homestuck or Pokemon nearly as much as I used to.

Here is a picture of me, since I don't think I've posted such a picture before and now is probably as good  time as any.

Spoiler:

So yeah, I'm back. What's going on?
Xaber
Xaber
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri May 08, 2015 9:19 am

Nothing much going on, we are mostly sad that so many awesome people have left this forum. But then suddenly you come in here and now we can't even complain about that anymore. You should feel ashamed about yourself, ruining our good complaining like that!

Jokes aside HOLY SHIT WELCOME BACK, IT'S AWESOME TO SEE YOU!
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 am

daaaaaaaamn for a minute there I thought casts had become really high tech in Australia before I realised it was a watch.
Also. *googles quantum chemistry* Well that is [cool|complicated] as fuck. I've never heard of it as a field, and I studied chemistry so I am surprised :0

I feel I have to ask, for the benefit of the development of humanity. I have noted a lot of people at different points lately have cited "Mental-Health related issues" in their own personal lives. And I doubt it's a trend or anything. But I like to correlate, so, here's my guesses as to why I've been noticing this possible increase:

a) "the vocal minority" As young people with constant internet access, we are developing a culture where honest approaches to health and wellbeing are valued and mental issues are no longer stigmatised, and so we talk about it more often than most people;

b) "sampling bias" as a bunch of self-proclaimed weirdos (if you disagree, good luck proving it) on the internet who share some interests, we as a sample set are more likely to have/identify with minority mental statuses for some reason;

c) "causation" Being on this website makes us develop the aforementioned issues, I blame Sharpedo personally, nobody with a grin like that can possibly a cause of good things;

d) "sampler bias" I'm projecting and seeing clumps where there aren't any;

e) "teenagers" Teenagers being teenagers. Hormones suck, and peer pressure sucks. And young adults, too. We suck a bit also. errybody sucks Surprised

f) Coincidence?? I nearly forgot that was an option to be honest.

I'd like to believe A is true. But also D is probably also true. I've also had "issues" in the past so it's something I could easily identify with, even subconsciously Surprised There was some personality test I hit years ago, on mental disorders, http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_disorder_test.mv this one I think, and I scored quite highly on "schizoid". I've forgotten what that was now. But I was in a bad place then, and I did it years later when I was in a much better place mentally, and... I got more or less the same results? I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. But I'm cool with everything nowadays so the results or their accuracy no longer interest me. But yeah, I'd really like to believe that people nowadays are more willing to talk openly and without bias about this stuff. Mental health is important!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri May 08, 2015 1:52 pm

I think B plays a large role as well. Many people who have mental health issues might be less comfortable in "normal" social situations, which makes the net a great place for them
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by DicksMcgee Sun May 10, 2015 3:21 am

this is probably not the best time for me to be posting, since i'm currently emotionally compromised, and also because this post is the exact opposite of this thread's intended purpose (sorry, d_what).

i am probably one of the most dead members on this site. i will probably forget to come back here for another thirty years after i post this. but i wanted to give an open call that, while i'm dead here, i'm much less dead on my tumblr, and am more than happy to set up a msparp chat with someone

i've lost a lot of good friends due to my lack of skype and my mysterious forum-based amnesia, and i would love to regain some of those friendships.
DicksMcgee
DicksMcgee
Cooltrainer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun May 10, 2015 10:30 am

DicksMcgee wrote:this is probably not the best time for me to be posting, since i'm currently emotionally compromised, and also because this post is the exact opposite of this thread's intended purpose (sorry, d_what).

i am probably one of the most dead members on this site. i will probably forget to come back here for another thirty years after i post this. but i wanted to give an open call that, while i'm dead here, i'm much less dead on my tumblr, and am more than happy to set up a msparp chat with someone

i've lost a lot of good friends due to my lack of skype and my mysterious forum-based amnesia, and i would love to regain some of those friendships.

ohmigosh nelly :0 Listen, you're never obligated to visit! You are only obligated to whatever makes you happiest. So do that, for yourself and for the rest of us! You do whatever it is you feel you need to do and you have our full support. If that means posting again in 10, 20, 60 years, then great. (Actually posting again in 60 years would be kinda cool, put it on your calendar k?)

Also since we're so insular and private here, when ever anybody reappears it's kinda like they've never left. So you can come back at anytime without any degradation of forum-laltionship ^^

Finally, you have actually kind of posted within this thread's desired post idea :B My idea was that when people wonder "hey where's X"? We can check this thread to see what they were up to or whether they'll be back. Which you've done! So yeah.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun May 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Yeah, what D said.

I'll try to visit your tumblr thing but I suck at tumblr, so I probably won't say anything.

But if it's about friends, you'll always be a friend for me and I am sure the same is true for everyone else here.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon May 25, 2015 11:26 pm

hey! hey!!! hi!!! um. i sort of disappeared again? yeah. um. several things have happened? i'm seeing a psychologist for depression and anxiety issues but i dont mean to be debbie douchebag downer here im mostly ok smuppedo

i'm replaying paper mario the thousand year door with a friend but once im done with that im gonna try and resume the platinum nuzlocke

oh and you didnt hear it from me but i have a girlfriend now and shes super cute Surprised
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue May 26, 2015 3:15 am

Oh hey, great to see you iT Very Happy

If you ever need someone to talk to, don't worry about being a downer, we'll be there for you.

And congratulations on the girlfriend. Very Happy
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaber Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 am

(sorry for not replying sooner, i have not been very relaxed recently)

OverlordJ wrote:Nothing much going on, we are mostly sad that so many awesome people have left this forum. But then suddenly you come in here and now we can't even complain about that anymore. You should feel ashamed about yourself, ruining our good complaining like that!

Jokes aside HOLY SHIT WELCOME BACK, IT'S AWESOME TO SEE YOU!

Good to see you too, OJ! Sorry for ruining a good grouching session.

d_what wrote:daaaaaaaamn for a minute there I thought casts had become really high tech in Australia before I realised it was a watch.
Also. *googles quantum chemistry* Well that is [cool|complicated] as fuck. I've never heard of it as a field, and I studied chemistry so I am surprised :0

It's mostly a university subject. I think that if I had longer I would have understood it, but as it was it was a hell of an info-dump over about five days.

d_what wrote:*lots of stuff about mental health*

I don't really know which one of these I believe, to be honest. a) feels fairly true from my overall experience with friends/internet in general, and my attitude to these things in others, but personally I have a really hard time talking about my own issues. The internet really doesn't help at all with this either. When I get anxious/sad/etc I just tend to close off my already-limited presence online, while there's at least enforced contact with my parents/school friends so that somebody gets that something's wrong.
Basically, in general a) seems right, but in my case I don't really think it's correct.

invisibleTerrarium wrote:hey! hey!!! hi!!! um. i sort of disappeared again? yeah. um. several things have happened? i'm seeing a psychologist for depression and anxiety issues but i dont mean to be debbie douchebag downer here im mostly ok

i'm replaying paper mario the thousand year door with a friend but once im done with that im gonna try and resume the platinum nuzlocke

oh and you didnt hear it from me but i have a girlfriend now and shes super cute Surprised  

Hey iT! Good to see you. Congratulations on the cute gf!
Xaber
Xaber
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed May 27, 2015 11:32 am

Take your time, reply whenever you feel like it. Smile

Also, I've glanced over your story and liked it so far, I'll give it a closer read when I have the time. I did notice that you forgot an "m" from an "I'm" near the beginning.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 pm

'bituaries: The "I'm not dead" thread! Tumblr_ng832bWW2c1tcw6doo1_500

sigh idk if this will be my first and only visit here, but hey. so basically, as im sure youre all mostly aware, im on the quarantine skype chat, and because thats far, far easier to get notifications from, i spend like all my time there, and i always forget about this place. which sucks, and im sorry.

life is good! im currently studying animation & visuals effect at university, with aims to be either a games designer of some sort or to work in animation. ideal scenario would be to be a freelancer doing both of these things and more, but hey, we shall see where life takes me. i still have a coupla years before graduation anyway, so i got time

over the summer as i have for the past two years i am working as a lifeguard, which i gradually get more and more sick of as the season progresses. its nearly all over though, so theres a positive at least. and hey, my birthdays soon and im finally getting a wii u and spaltoon (you wont have seen my VERY exhuberant shouts about splatoon for ages now but trust me. i want that game more than anything right now. yeah, even mystery dungeon. wait idk if i can do that to pmd. i take it back i want psmd more

im working on a buncha projects as always, but also as always, few of em every get anywhere. sburbmon is at least still going strong (hey muffinz, forgot you hung out here sometimes), and im graudally putting gears into motion for creating a pokemon fangame. hopefully. not sure if thatll be another thing i lose interest in very quickly. i still have some stories like saviours that i want to tell but theyre very much in the background atm. my artwork is improving drastically though, so im very happy about that

besides that, im still fond of awkward teenage dick chickens, so dont think thats changed. like i said, not sure if ill come back after this post, but i hope i do. you guys are really really cool and i miss talking to you
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next