Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

+8
OverlordJ
kotakun
Hanky Panky
cephalopodAscendant
Spark Eletran
muffinz
invisibleTerrarium
tinning3
12 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 31 Empty Re: General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:45 pm

h-hello?
hello?
[sub]hello?
[sub]hello?
[/sub][/sub]

this place is a graveyard.
graveyard
[sub]graveyard
[sub]graveyard
[/sub][/sub]

E: well, that didn't work.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 31 Empty Re: General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Ugh.
School.
Ugh.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:21 pm

I am here, I just don't really have anything pokemon related to talk about.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 am

I'm not here, this is in fact eoinBot, a beta version of the only authentic D_What's FYP, and may I say how wonderful you are all looking tonight, within a supplied margin of delta +/-0.001?

eoinBot knows what you look like,
eoinBot detects faces,
eoinBot det3cts whz@re youuuyou aaARæÞ,RE ,RE ,RE
where you are,
eoinBot uses Five Nights At Freddy's for Learning Input,
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:51 am

aww come on you were ruining my magic spell it required me to have been the last person to post for two weeks and then id be able to summon the gen 7 pokemon games from the future so that everyone could play them before they were made and you stopped it so now i cant try again until the planetary alignment is right in forty six years well are you happy?
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Oh no!

*is posting*
Oh no!!!
mspa

Coincidentally or not, Mars and Venus are actually aligned right now, or at least mostly on top of one another from our viewpoint... Which means that that's 3 planets that are in alignment, give or take. Cool huh?

Edit: they were a few days ago, show's over folks nothing to see here
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

goddammit dee stop spreading false information >:0
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Eating too many carrots will turn your urine cherry red!!

People of Italian lineage will always have longer ring fingers than index fingers!!

Monos is a binary dwarf planet whose orbit is past Pluto's!!!

Diets high in Omega 2 are strongly correlated to high sexual potency among lesbians!!!

There exists a tribe of almost 100 people in central Africa where smiling is seen as an act of extreme aggression!!!!

The first robot expected to outlive the average human life expectancy will be built in 2048!!!!!

Dogs react more to Germanic languages than Latin ones!!!!!!

The colour green has the most combination of possible wavelengths which are registered as green by the human brain!!!!!!!!

Pi has already been proved to contain all the numbers from 001 to 999 consecutively and these numbers have been indexed!!!!!!!!!

Eggs Benedict are named after a small village in West Yorkshire!!!!!!!!!!

The number 5 is considered unlucky by a species of counting Atlantic squid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of 2013, if Facebook was a country it would have a larger GDP than Australia and New Zealand combined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 pm

pi fact is ambiguously interpretable and one way to look at it is true 0/10 would not recommend made up facts
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:30 pm

I'll be honest, all of those things are just sentences I threw together from the hopeless and broken remains of actual "commonly known" facts (or even fictions), it's a wonder I didn't mention something about spiders or brain hemispheres or cats who tracked their owners across a continent.

I'm fairly sure the binary dwarf planet one is completely fictional, as is the eggs one. The others ones could be conceivably true in a large enough probability space? Or at least debatable.
EDIT: Although I'm not sure what sexual potency means when used in a same-sex context. Are they super fertile or just really really good at it? Also is Omega 2 even a thing??
EDIT EDIT: Also you guys would be really silly to ignore the possibility that I actually threw in a definitely correct fact in there just for fun. It is the kind of thing I would do.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:57 pm

uhhh is it the. green one. idk :0
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:12 am

Hey I just had a thought; I'd be very interested in seeing a venn diagram of the Pokemon fandom. Since it's pretty large and all, and some of the areas are pretty disjointed. Like, I'm pretty sure the only area I'd overlap with people in it for the shipping is the fact we play the games.
But in order to make the diagram, we'd first have to determine the constituent subgroups! So I'm thinking:

People who play (people who are in the fandom are not necessarily people who play... but it's still the majority), covers:
Competitive battlers (split smogon/standard vs VGC/official)
Collectors (includes Shiny hunters, Living Dex fillers)
Challenge runners (nuzlocke etc)

Fanartists (subgroup: Rule34s, Crafts, musicians)
TCG players
Anime fans (subgroup: Shipping)
RPers
Cosplay (may be RPers idk)

Youtube (is it's whole own mess of things, not sure where it would fit, likewise bloggers)

There's also the side-games, so people who play in a particular subgroup may not also play all the other subgroups. We're talking an n-dimensional graph here I think. N+1 if you want to include Time for the genwunners.
Am I forgetting any major fandom areas?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:10 pm

HEY guys I still exist! I didn't die or anything like that! I just um, don't have a currently functioning computer to use right now, and have not for a while. As such I can only occasionally and unreliably do any internet-ing. I will make my official TRIUMPHANT RETURN to this forum once I can actually use a real computer again.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:49 pm

i will await with baited breath

theres worms in my mouth that are just dying to get out but im not letting them
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:33 pm

d_what wrote:Dogs react more to Germanic languages than Latin ones!!!!!!

I choose to believe that this is true.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm not dead either, I promise! Just... continually swamped by homework and attempting to get something to do over the summer.

Would the competitive battling subset be split into online battlers and emulated battlers? Does it matter? Do small children (or otherwise) who try to bring their team into the Battle Spot (or whatever it is; I've never used the built-in thing nor do I properly remember what it's called) count here?

I feel like I fall into the category of "man, I'm going to breed up a team but now I have homework and now I just enjoy breeding for moves natures and IVs and not actually battling anymore."
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:56 pm

i am being rapidly absorbed by the new imagine dragons album
help me but actually don't
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:17 pm

:I I can't find my N3DS :I

Which isn't exactly a new problem. I've known it was missing and anyway this isn't the first time I've lost a console; they tend to turn up eventually. Also I lost it during a time when I was sick and never actually left the house, so it's AROUND.
But.
Pokemon Bank Neutral
Expiry Neutral
Bad At Remembering Dates Neutral
*/displacement activity/*
I should really be doing my final year project...
General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 31 Sheer10
*sigh*
Have a palette.
General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 31 Pal110
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:22 pm

I need to get my bank fixed or resubscribed or something, I keep talking about it and then forgetting it...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Don't forget to renew your bank Surprised I think you only get two weeks of time to take your Pokemon down if you don't pay!

Anyway, it sure has been quiet here lately. Uhh, small topic game thingy (though at this point I'm really just talking to OJ); come up with as many unique, original superpowers that are kind of/sort of cool, but not really high-tier or really powerful? E.G. NOT All the famous X-men, or anybody sans the guys which just have "peak physical strength and training." Nothing generic, either. Niche or complicated stuff.

And then we can imagine a hypothetical gameshow where contestants are given the chance to have their own unique superpower, randomly, with the catch that if they don't pick it they get stuck with a totally random one that's next on the list. Because that would be fun.

Three that I've thought of recently:
Localised atmospheric pressure control; break glass, induce headaches, push light things around, at worst pop eyeballs, at best defensive use of increased pressure to deter attackers. This would be my personal choice since I get headaches a lot Surprised

Air-shatter. The ability to make air turn into a glass-like substance that shatters on impact, on contact. The shards float where they were created unless moved manually, strong winds will blow them away and dissipate them, and they fade after a while. User takes reduced damage from shard related injuries.
Mostly because it would look really good in CGI 3D movies Surprised think about it: The hero punches the viewer for some reason, and the cliche of the camera glass shattering happens; except this time it's their superpower. Or they hit somebody with a flying tackle and it looks like they've just burst through a window. Or they fall off a building near the end of the movie and "cushion" the blow by falling against a series of airshatter panes, the whole way down. End up ridiculously cut up and hurt, but alive and not splashy. How cool would that look?

Or a random one I proposed to my friend today. You get to turn into any bird at will, (power of thought) and back, almost instantaneously and keeping all your mental faculties, but you lose all your clothes. The classic werewolf problem. The upside of this kind of lame power is birds also includes bird with a generic species in mythology; Roc grants massive size and strength, Phoenix grants technical immunity to fire and immortality, Penguin grants swimming. After I mentioned that he was happy he went with it. I think it's because of the penguin.

Another one I've considered occasionally is "the ability to turn off the effect of gravity on a single object (including yourself) near you, whilst keeping momentum." This is NOT antigravity. This is the world spinning at an absurd pace and losing the link that keeps you tied to it. The trick is, you can pick your pivot points. So you can use your relative mometum to the center of the galaxy for incredibly fast travel, or the center of the earth for a still scary fast but steadier speed. Obviously you gain the knowledge to know where you'd end up after doing all of these, and you can do it in really short bursts to control it more accurately.

The ability to turn your body or parts of your body into a 3 dimensional portal to the inner body of a specific star, at will. You are unaffected by any effects this may have, the rest of the catches you'll have to work on your own.

Or finally, the ability to absorb any amount of kinetic energy involving yourself and store it as equal parts heat and light. So you could stop the impact and effect of a car hitting you and then release a firey burst later. Catches involve an eventual upper limit on the amount you can store, a consistent need to release (like peeing), and an accidental reduction of your own kinetic energy meaning you're a little bit subpar at sports.

Basically, I like to think of the kind of superpowers that still maintain the colour of the ones we've grown up with, while still being overwhelmingly "good" rather than "bad" (e.g. the Hulk's thing, or Cyclops's involuntary eyebeams) but with added layers of complexity and catches to make using them well a challenge. It's fun, you guys should try it. Anybody can just freeze an object and shatter it with a punch, it takes real work to make it explode because half the molecules in it tried to move left at the speed of sound while they other half tried to move right.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Actually, I've got a couple of characters like that. At least f I understood you correctly.

Caster has the ability to Pull and to Push. He can pull things towards him, push them away from him and he can pull himself towards things or push himself away from them. The thing is, there is no limitation to what counts as a "thing". Over the course of thinking about stories for him, I came to realize that any power that includes the word "anything" and means it usually ends up incredibly overpowered. There is one timeline where Caster becomes evil and literally becomes the greatest threat to the continued existance of existance. I'm not sure if he counts as not powerful enough for this discussion though...

An unrelated character I though of had the power to induce the desire to party in people. While he needed to be a bit careful who he used that power on and when, he became one of the most powerful characters in his story, because his power had a very large range and he could keep it going as long as he wanted and slightly concentrated on it (so he could not force someone to party and then leave them be). He also had some other powers, which where mainly jokes to support his party inducing power, like the ability to sprinkle glitter around him by making jazz hands or making a ballon appear by making sort of a kamehameha pose or by making music start playing for no apparent reason. Of course, being able to create glitter can also be used for other things, but while he (I) came up with some creative uses for those joke powers, his main power continued to be the most impressive one. His name was Partyman and his catchprase was "It's time for party, man" or "You came here to fight but I came here to PARTYYYYY!". But yeah, if you wanted to express his power in a more serious way, I guess it could be described as large scale mental and emotional manipulation. Which suddenly sounds way more serious and powerful, so I'm nolonger sure if he'd count.

Another hopefull creative power, though also fairly powerful, was a guy who had the ability to shapeshift his bones in limited ways, though I guess his support powers he needed to survive being able to use that power, are kind of in the incredibly powerful category... He was basically a magic skeleton and his bones were especially durable. His flesh would regrow, no matter how damaged it would get, even if it would be completly removed and he wouldn't die unless his skeleton got seriously damaged. If his flesh regrew it would regrow as it was at the point when he got that power, which was in his early twenties. Most of the time he looked fairly normal, he described it himself as "wearing his flesh and skin as a disguise in order to look normal" and when fighting badguys, the first thing he'd do would be to basically pull of his face. His main strategy was mostly to seriously freak out people by doing stuff like that, hoping they'd just surrender, though he was of course able to put up a pretty good fight, what with his limited shapeshifting.

I've got a couple of other "Superhero" characters, though I think the others are a bit more generic, especially as I went on to learn more about superheros in general.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:01 am

the power to control orange soda
the power to know what somebody is going to write in their diary today
super strength but only with paper
the power to phase through the first inch of an object but no further
the power to create spaghetti at will

whats scary is that i can think of legit uses for all of these
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Oh, so we're doing the superhero bargain bin? Sure beans. I've had some of those before.

The power to teleport but only north!
The power to create stairs directly in front of you!
The power to always know Caller ID!
The power to tether yourself to moving vehicles!
The power to create light using solar energy!

Honorable mentions: Doze's Super Unspeed, and Lactokinesis.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 pm

the power to transform any article of clothing into a hoodie.

ALSO GUYS

so do yall remember I had a story and shit and Chosen None and characters and all of that stuff ye

well
turns out
i've started making another story whoopsie
It's named Surface of the Sky and these are the two characters I have so far
shit big images:
It takes place in a land divided into the Skies and the Surface
The Skies are the land above the clouds, with floating islands and where the humans live
They're p technologically advanced, with kind of a light steampunk theme and shit like airships and robots and all
The Surface is, well, the actual planet itself. Below the clouds, where other non-human species live in a much less advanced society
The story is mostly about the two characters I showed u (the cyborg girl is the protag of the story) being stranded in the Surface after their ship is destroyed by the high people and shit of the skies. I don't have it all planned out, not even close, since I literally came up with it (and with their character designs) yesterday, but that's the gist of it so far :0
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Spoiler:
I would recommend developing the plots and politics! The society of a world is often based on the history and politics of it and society is what a good alternate world story runs on.

...can you turn a hoodie into a hoodie? How about a successively larger hoodie?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next