Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

+17
Dregadude
DicksMcgee
ilikeoctopus
Spark Eletran
Gelatino
d_what
Hytheter
OverlordJ
Xaber
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
invisibleTerrarium
muffinz
Hanky Panky
phantasmalDexterity
tinning3
NinteNerd
21 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 18 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:32 pm

I find it a bit more awkward that the light levels in the overworld in general barely change from day to night. It's especially odd when it's so obvious in battles.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 18 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by d_what Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:54 am

That's the thing though. It DOES change in the evening. And then it's magically removed. I think its a bug.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:55 am

During the 8-9 'hunt the mega stones' hour, there's a nice little twilight effect that I quite like, but then at 9 the night proper takes over.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:10 pm

you know what i'm really surprised i don't see more of?
Gale Wings Talonflame. someone explain to me how a priority STAB Brave Bird isn't terrifying.
i mean, 81 isn't the most threatening of attack stats, but it still makes big dents.
i think Roost also gets priority too? not sure if it's only attack, or all flying moves. :U

also i finished my clawitzer today and he's so badass<3
prolly gonna go after gogoat next. i want Toxic Spikes on Dragalge, so the breeding's gonna take awhile. :T
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:23 pm

i was not aware "ineffability" was a word that could be used to describe me...
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:29 pm

gamefreak should intentionally make a pokemon with a really good egg move, but you have to go through a really long chain of parents to get it on that pokemon
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

https://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Gelatino wrote:gamefreak should intentionally make a pokemon with a really good egg move, but you have to go through a really long chain of parents to get it on that pokemon

I would hate that forever. Breeding for the egg move and IVs and natures all at the same time would probably kill me a little inside.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Why wouldn't you just take it step by step?
Breed for egg move first. Then your nature. THEN you breed for IVs.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:58 pm

But if the IVs coming from the male (egg move) were crappy, wouldn't it just take that much longer to get decent IVs?
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:07 pm

inefable should not be used to describe anything it literally means unable to be described in words and yet it is a word used to describe something ahem
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:35 pm

it's not a description of a thing, it's a description of a feeling you get from a thing
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

https://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 pm

it doesnt matter its still a description that says that there isnt one you say its inefable well your certainly efing it
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Iunno. I just started breeding for IVs the first time ever with XY. And it's much easier for me to keep things separate and breed for one thing at a time.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:05 pm

according to kotakun's logic, sharpedo inherited a chastity belt from you, NN.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm

NinteNerd wrote:you know what i'm really surprised i don't see more of?
Gale Wings Talonflame. someone explain to me how a priority STAB Brave Bird isn't terrifying.
i mean, 81 isn't the most threatening of attack stats, but it still makes big dents.
i think Roost also gets priority too? not sure if it's only attack, or all flying moves. :U
Ninten who are you battling?? Talonflame is like the second most used Pokemon in OU at the moment, after Rotom W. People's in-game battle teams tend to be more free spirited though because they're often less edited than a laddered team. Many of the people you'll have battles via PSS won't have had enough high-octane battles to realise how great it is.
Incidentally. It is great. Would 10/10 recommend also bulk up sets look like so much fun. And it's all flying moves so priority Roost and Tailwind.

And I agree with Hanky. Simplest things first; if you go for egg moves AFTER going for IVs, then as soon as you add the egg move you've watered down your Pokemon's IVs, wasting all that effort. IVs should always be last.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Yes, I usually go for IVs last. The point I'm making is just that it would probably take a bit longer to get nicer IVs if the egg move parent didn't already have nice IVs.

(Bullet Seed Breloom says hi)

Anyway, I've been trying to breed Talonflame but the IVs I have on this side aren't the best. d_what, you mentioned Tailwind--I haven't had much experience with Talonflame, so I'm curious, how well does it set up without dying?
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:50 pm

So risque.

(For those who didn't catch that: in-F-able, in the state of not being... F-able. Ahem.)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:03 pm

that's

......thank you for ruining the joke by explaining it.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:15 pm

You're very welcome Smile

Wouldn't life be so much simpler if everybody spoke in simple terms that could not be taken in any other way than the obvious, and all comments were taken at face value?
Mind you, that would mute at least half of our users.
(RIP Kotakun)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:26 pm

but im thick with double entendres they arent hard
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm

*raises finger to add pertinent comment*

*decides against it*
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm

D_What annihilated my entire team (it was a 3 vs 3) because I wasn't aware of how damaging Brave bird was.

Although I will admit in that situation it was personal fault, since I also stupidly switched in my water mon, giving him a free kill. I hadn't played in a few days is my excuse :Y
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm

If we were to speak in that kind of language though we would be speaking Ingsoc, which would mean bad things for everyone.

We need a language where everything you say can literally mean any possible other thing, with differences being only in the way you say it. Why? Why the hell not.

i wanted to get involved in this double entendre conversation between you two, but i figured a thressome wouldn't be welcome.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:27 pm

but newspeak is not ungood it is ungoodthinkful to speaked or thinked that oldspeak is gooder than newspeak
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:28 pm

Ehhh Tailwind was a bad example, but it's the only other non-damaging practical example of a flying move. Talonflame has a million and two things it would rather be doing than set up Tailwind. For a start, it doesn't support itself with it, since it's so fast. On the other hand its fighting type gives a lot of useful switch-ins to a lot of Pokemon, especially Grass types. All in all, I would not recommend Tailwind. incarnate Tornadus is better off with it.
(I know, roaming legend, but hey, I have one so Razz)

ON THE OTHER HAND
Talonflame can set up Swords Dance or Bulk Up surprisingly easily. All it needs is a single switch to set up, and unless you're against an Water, Electric or Rock move, that SD is very, very easy to pull off. I've never had a game where I couldn't use it. And after a single SD, Talonflame can OHKO a lot of its checks, especially with Hazards. Notably: does not apply to Rotom. Rotom W can switch in whenever. Another thing: Because of Talonflame's priority and naturally high speed, you do NOT have to run Jolly and Max speed IVs. IVs should be tailored ONLY to what you need to outrun anything dangerous than can be OHKOd by Flare Blitz (since BB is priority). An example being the most common Lucario/Mega Lucario sets. Tflame is proportionally easier to set up the more HP EVs it has. The best Bulk up sets run HUGE defensive EVs and are very easy to set up with; but in turn you have to watch out for a new band of previously outsped special attackers.
Finally: A set up Tflame is incredible and punches holes in a lot of things, and requires a dedicated counter or careful sacrifices to stop. But it WILL die eventually because recoil is not a percentage of your health, it's the opponents: after 2 full-health OHKOs you'll be lucky to be still breathing. So you have to ask yourself: should Talonflame die punching a hole in its last victim, or is it worth trying to save for a quick priority brave bird later?
(Ans: what are you up against, and is stealth rock up?)

Tl;Dr Talonflame is incredible seriously try it out its fun. Also, WillOWisp and Choice Band is good too.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next