Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

+12
tinning3
d_what
Captain
Sandstriker
Spark Eletran
NinteNerd
muffinz
OverlordJ
Gelatino
cephalopodAscendant
invisibleTerrarium
Hanky Panky
16 posters

Page 13 of 37 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25 ... 37  Next

Go down

If both were guaranteed to happen in sequence, which would you rather have released next?

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 13 I_vote_lcap0%Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 13 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 13 I_vote_lcap100%Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 13 I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 1

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 13 Empty Re: Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 am

Hmm, let's see. As someone who doesn't know all too much about hallucinogens besides some vague facts (speculations? I don't know) about the Beatles...

At the moment before the crash, I'd still probably be kind of out of it at the tail end of the acid trip, which would definitely stick me in a horrible, hallucinatory nightmare--at the moment, I think everything would be going too fast for me to really react. I'd definitely be panicking and terrified to whatever extent I could consciously process what was happening, especially if it was my first time on any sort of drug, and especially since I'm usually already really distrustful of strangers' driving.

I'm normally jumpy about drugs anyway, so I think I'd have some lasting self-doubt and a whole lot of regret about ever agreeing to try. And I'd definitely harbor a lot of resentment and distrust for hallucinogens.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 13 Empty Re: Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

Post by d_what Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:42 am

@OJ yeah GM rules says it's okay Razz Nah but seriously, mostly we're trying to avoid the very cliche, very personal (and probably absolutely not comparable) "my kids were killed" and "I am being raped"; what I've got in that one is a tangent-on-a-tangent. The trigger isn't the asssault, or even the aftermath of the assault, but the fear that something else bad has happened on top of everything else in a powerless situation. You can twist the prompt if you're drawing blanks while maintaining the /effect/ until it resonates. For example, maybe your grandmother was attacked and she's been kind of poorly lately, and just when you think she might be starting to get better something really bad happens and you don't know the details and you're not around to help. That's the gist, work with that! It's never really about the specifics, but the effect those general events would have on you. What are you thinking in that moment, what kind of thing do you feel you need to do/are doing right there during the trigger.

@spark: dang I can't comment on my own power discussion Sad imma sad

but on yours:
Spoiler:

Spark's power-tree ATM:

1) codename "VISHNU, v.1":
Spoiler:

2) codename "GARUDA, v.1":
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:13 am

@Octi:

Sounds kinda like a two-part delayed trigger. Like the crash itself set the stage and the hospital lit the fuse (man, don't mix metaphors!). Let's see where that might fall under the classifications:

Spoiler:

Octi's current power-tree:

1) codename "STEREO, v.1":
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:09 pm

Ok so, commenting on Octi's before reading Dee's analysis on it (but after reading mine which I can't comment on :'c):

Spoiler:

Meanwhile, with Dee's powers...

Spoiler:
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Alright, a few comments from me.

For Spark:
Spoiler:

For Dee:
Spoiler:
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Yeah, I agree with that, Octi - I'm not sure how much of an input the actual trigger usually has on the power, so. If it was just me, I'd make it ashes just because ~relevant~, but going off the words stone and the such might work better, hmm.
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Frankly, what would I even do to protect someone from assault? I am pretty sure my grandma was about as fit as I am, anyone who'd assault her would steamroll me.

But I guess I'd be sad that she got hurt and feel powerless because there is absolutely nothing I could do to prevent stuff like it from happening?

As for analizing, I gotta make some time to read Worm before I comment on any of that
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:51 pm

@OJ: Your trigger happens post-fact. The power you get from your goal doesn't solve any problems - it just relates to them, so having to do anything to the assaulter wouldn't mean anything. UNLESS your primary motivation during the trigger was "some scumbag probably hurt my family again! I'm gonna fucking find them and wreck them." That would definitely impact the kind of trigger you have.

@Octi: I like that! It's a very valid interpretation and I'm shocked I missed it. My *only* hesitation would be that it doesn't really resonate with the trigger event in any way yet, but maybe that's something we can develop. I like how it's essentially a better (and equally coherent) Mystique, only presumably trades physical skill for inherent knowledge of the role to play. Excellent Thinker/Changer hybrid.
Gonna put it under codename: ICON for now (i'd love to use Eidolon but it's taken). BTW my codenames aren't part of the process or the names of the superheroes, they're just fun to come up with Very Happy

@spark: not interfering I swear! But yeah trigger events don't have to or need to draw from the objects or environment as a basis for powers. Some of them will, sure, because it can be narratively satisfying, but it also results in broad swathes of similar powers and nothing really unique (i.e. triggers when drowning are always water powers = bad) which  is where the random nouns come in. You can take from the trigger event if  you want but it's not necessary. I'd focus on balancing utility versus cost before anything else - e.g. the ability to construct creatures made of snow is a useless ability in almost  every situation unless you can also produce snow, so it's not a good power by itself.

Whoops forgot to mention your thoughts on Octi's. When you phrase it that way, I think it's a very valid interpretation and you've got a good thing going there. Shakers are usually powers-within-a-range, and the illusion bit is clever and could work with the hallucinogenic aspect of the event. Adding a changer to the mix, I really like the idea  that they can take the physical form of anything within that hallucination. It's a versatile and clever combination of powers, though it needs some refining - if the illusion is always up within a range, there's nothing stopping her from illusioning up a horse and becoming the horse to travel, moving as the radius of her power moves with her (and therefore keeping the horse intact). So it's gonna need some sort of a cost. Needing people to hallucinate is a fairly obvious one. Perhaps the illusion field has to be "set" in an area, and changing that area has a recharge time? That would stop excess movement. And maybe the more people within the field, the more volatile/unstable the illusion is. I like it. Gonna put a hesitant codename: FATA MORGANA on it.

Last edited by d_what on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:57 pm

D's Post:

Yeah, no, I mean, the idea of me protecting someone and then not protecting them for a bit, which is the point where they get harmed doesn't make sense to me, as there'd be no way for me to protect them better then they could protect themself.

After all, that is the basis of my trigger event, right?

Someone does something bad to Person A, I try to protect Person A, everything is fine for a while, I do something else for once and don't protect Person A, Person A gets harmed again.

EDIT: Or however else I would "help" in such a situation for me to "not be around to help", is that a better way of wording it? I have no idea what I could possibly do after the first bad thing that could factor into the "I wasn't there the second time" thing that is supposed to be my trigger

Last edited by OverlordJ on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Well, you don't have to interpret it as being about a need to protect them, not if you don't feel that way (in the sense that you feel they have to be selfsufficient). You can take it differently. Maybe it's a fear that something is wrong with them that they put themselves back in hospital, which could make you think that maybe life will never get back to normal for you/them, or that you're afraid they'll eventually hurt themselves beyond repair, if they haven't already. There's a lot of ways you could take it, but ultimately it comes down to your interpretation of whatever happens and your reaction to that interpretation.

E: Oh yeah spark if you're going with a Blaster classification then some form of inherently ranged attacks of some sort are necessary. They define the Blaster class.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Yeah, that's exactly my problem, I have no interpretation of that, and I have no idea how I'd react besides being sad that something bad happenedd to a person I care about, but, well, that's how I'd feel regardless of what the bad thing is, so, I am not sure if that really applies here?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Ooo, I see... Hmm. This is gonna be needing some thinking, then.

I was basing it off the fact that controlling things at a range would count... Hmmmmm. I'll probs think about other ideas, or see if anyone comes up with a better one.

Also - Yeah, that sounds good for Octi's! When I was thinking of a range, I didn't think it'd be as much of "a range around the person" as "a set field"... Maybe, mixing with your idea, she COULD create multiple fields one after the other, but the more she made in short amounts of time, the more hallucinogenic-like effects happen to her as well, which also have the obvious drawback of making the illusion harder to maintain thanks to an impaired perception on her part?

Alternatively a straight-up cooldown could work ofc mspa

Also NNNNGH Imma have so much to say once the powers are decided
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:24 pm

Hmm, Dee, do you have any examples of blaster powers? I feel like that might help for a more concrete idea of what we might be aiming for (heh) here.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Acidbath Breaker/Changer (Blaster, Striker, Mover)[2] Could turn into, sling blasts of, & move as tidal wave of acid

Allfather Blaster ?[2] Created mid-air portals from which to launch volleys of weapons

Ballistic Blaster ?, Striker ? Can accelerate an object to a set, bullet-like speed with a touch

[[Geomancer] Blaster ?[2] Created streams of rubble

Starlet Blaster/Shaker 4[4] "Darts" of light which explode, then implode.

Burnscar Blaster ?, Mover ? Extreme pyrokinesis, Teleportation through open flames

Examples above! I've also found that there's already a documented cape with a lot of those sound-based overlaps :/ but some differences. Only transforms via screaming.

E:
"which also have the obvious drawback of making the illusion harder to maintain thanks to an impaired perception on her part? "

I LOVE THIS. It's a WONDERFULLY narratively satisfying drawback. Overuse of the power leaves the user susceptible to the effects! Great twist on it, Spark!

So currently:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPARK:
1) codename "VISHNU, v.1":
Spoiler:

2) codename "GARUDA, v.1":
Spoiler:

3) codename "ICON, v.1":
Spoiler:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OCTI:
1) codename "STEREO, v.1":
Spoiler:

2) codename "FATA MORGANA, v.2":
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:24 pm

The obvious answer here would be letting him not only control but also shoot out ash, then mspa

Maybe... hmm. Reworking the power a bit, maybe it's special ash-like particles he makes, then? They could maybe have some sort of effect on those it touches, keeping with the "contagion" word... But they'd probs have some sort of bigger drawback in that case then, to balance that strength out.
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:30 am

Jumping in from my reading of Worm just to say that I'm pretty sure Clockblocker is one of the best names I have ever heard for a time based superhero
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:38 am

I think I can say for everybody that exists in the entire spacetime continuum that we wholeheartedly agree.

Will you be joining us on our watch-nervously-while-other-people-decide-a-superpower-for-you-and-invent-other-people's event? I am aware the process looks complicated but neither your nor OJ really have to read worm to do it :V Octi and Spark have both had excellent contributions!

-------------------------------------------------------

As an aside, I did it with two of my IRL friends on Friday. They were reluctant at first because it involved a) writing and therefore b) effort, but we had fun and it worked out really well. Friend 1 got my bullied at school prompt, and the word "glen"; I don't remember what his other words were but he ended up with the power to create as many minions from the earth as the materials around him would allow (or one big minion), but he was limited to using only combinations of stone, water, and plantlife, and his power weakened depending on the level of human influence on the material (so he'd be useless in a well maintained city, pretty weak in a well maintained city park, limited in a dilapidated neighbourhood with fallen buildings and weeds, and OP in Lord of the Rings.) Another friend got what I'm pretty sure was a variation on OJ's "you get into a fight with family" prompt; his words included "customer" and "patient" with a Thinker skew. So he got the power to know everything about any human body he looked at; points of weaknesses, artificial materials, how to repair damage, etc, along with boosted physical reflexes and strength for melee, but the more he uses his bodyvision power the less able he is to react and comprehend other things (tunnelvision). So at full "focus" he could predict your movements by watching your muscles contract, but wouldn't be able to react to someone loading a gun behind him. I got a "stung by jellyfish and started to drown" prompt and ended up with a shaker/mover mix where I could loosely push and pull gases/liquids around me with some force and also use it as propulsion for myself. But the power is powered by conflict so I only have limited mover powers if I'm just by myself. Codenames Thearch, CT and Gust respectively. It was fun!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:45 am

I'd love to join, but I probably won't be able to write a few trigger events until I'm back home on Tuesday.
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:35 pm

That's cool! In the meantime I hope you enjoy reading Worm. It's a fun ride.

e: I have a tumblr-post style story to share! So I'm on my PC and my dad comes in, he tells me he's watching Star Trek. I say "series or movie?", and he says he's not sure. But it has yer man from Sherlock Holmes, Mumbleback. Obviously I immediately know who he's talking about.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:51 pm

shit, i got a hard one and im really bad at serious roleplaying

lets kick it motherfudgers:
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:49 am

invisibleTerrarium wrote:so i'm thinking something firmly in the [TEXT IN WHICH IT CONTRIBUTES TO HIS OWN POWER DISCUSSION THAT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO DELETE BEFORE ANYBODY SEES] for example

awwwwwwww maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

you don't get a say in anything to do with the power! Now we can't use that Sad Sad Sad People can't partake in the construction of their own powers, only with the emotional response and in the construction of other people's!

e: this is like someone coming up with a really good fakemon and getting annoyed because gamefreak can't come up with it now without getting sued

e e: you're gonna want to include a bit more on your thought process and feelings up to/during/after the event
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Alright, so I think I got a couple triggers, I hope they're what you're looking for.

TW Job Loss, Debt:

TW Shitty Siblings, Destruction of Property:
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:08 am

Rightyho! Here are your deets:

Spoiler:
Batter
Freeze
Monster
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:15 am

i have entered a confusingly complex thing it seems

just saying hi

what on earth is going on lol
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:18 am

We're algorithmically/democratically building superpowers for ourselves!

E: that's a dapper looking [vaguely similar to mienfoo] you got there :V

Last edited by d_what on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 37 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25 ... 37  Next