Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

+12
tinning3
d_what
Captain
Sandstriker
Spark Eletran
NinteNerd
muffinz
OverlordJ
Gelatino
cephalopodAscendant
invisibleTerrarium
Hanky Panky
16 posters

Page 12 of 37 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24 ... 37  Next

Go down

If both were guaranteed to happen in sequence, which would you rather have released next?

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 I_vote_lcap0%Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 I_vote_lcap100%Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 1

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 Empty Re: Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 am

I know what that's like, I still know Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacars name by heart
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 Empty Re: Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 am

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 35GAQfG

hELP I'M WHEEZING THIS IS THE BEST EXAMPLE OF POKEMON SHOWDOWN CULTURE I COULD HAVE EVER GIVEN AND I WITNESSED IT WITH MY OWN DAMN EYES
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 pm

invisibleTerrarium wrote:Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 35GAQfG

hELP I'M WHEEZING THIS IS THE BEST EXAMPLE OF POKEMON SHOWDOWN CULTURE I COULD HAVE EVER GIVEN AND I WITNESSED IT WITH MY OWN DAMN EYES

I dunno. If the guy had a terrible team that couldn't handle a +1 +1 Dragonite, he may as well scoop (assuming he'd scouted your moves to make sure he couldn't wall you). He may not have thought of that though. Giving up shouldn't be stigmatised, but I think in this case it would have been nice to give a reason, or just "whoops GG".

Were you running any special or fire moves, or was he low on health? He could have just tried to toxic again. IDK if a +1 Dragonite EQ can KO most registeel, especially bulky sets or sets without Life Orb (which this clearly was.)

E: How do we feel about randomising some superpowers for the group? iT I value your input here the most because I know Anxiety really sucks and doling out trigger events might not be the best idea if it's gonna make it worse. "triggered" in the literal sense since they're sort of supposed to be horrible things, what with the clue being in the name?
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:35 pm

it was a random battle, that was my second dance, and i just came off an outrage so idk. i think i did have EQ, but either way it's bad sportsmanship to just split like that, i never do it without a good reason.

i havent been paying too close attention to all the Worm stuff, what'd you have in mind? if u just wanna make up fake traumatic events thats cool i can handle that

Last edited by invisibleTerrarium on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:35 pm

i would be Up for that defs
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 pm

oh fuck i got ninjad while editing [shakes fist]
lemme go read back through all that stuff so i actually know what i am doing™
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

i should really read worm. I'm told its good, but for some reason a bug-based superhero just never interested me.
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:00 pm

The bug thing works though. It's like... the book/hero equivalent of seeing someone making their way up the OU ladder with a team centred around a Corsola. Now regular heroes seem unfairly OP and boring.

Anyway I had all this stuff written about triggers but I made the mistake of trying to send it when I had no internet. Will write it up again on my laptop in a bit.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:11 pm

I am up for it, too, traumatic triggers is how most Planeswalkers light their spark after all, but I've gotta check out the actual story of worm before I can say anything for certain
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Yeah insofar as I understand Magic it's basically the same thing. I get the impression that a lot of sparks happen over a longer period of time, and not always suddenly, but the same is true of Worm (it's just less common  and corresponds to specific powersets).

K, so, triggers.

Everyone that wants to participate should come up with minimum of 2 triggers. Somewhere between 5 and 10 sentences, ish.

Don't read other peoples triggers, so spoiler them. I'll randomly distribute them amongst everyone else who is participating.

Triggers are always traumatic or horrible events that are hard to let go of. Traumatic is of course subjective, so triggers can range from "I saw my mom and dad get tortured by a druggie" to "the ref gave me a yellow card for something I didn't do and because of that we lost the interschool Sportsball final".

Try to write them to be vague enough to sub in the important character-specific details, but detailed enough so that we know what we're working with. I'll give two examples below. Allow room for emotional interpretation of the event, don't over specify (i.e. I was kidnapped from my church by the KGB and then my wang fell off) and don't try to work powers into it. They don't work like that and aren't that unsubtle (e.g. someone who has a knife pressed to their face is not going to have an Armorface power). No peanut triggers either, or things that will never/could never happen realistically. No dead/maimed children, thanks.

As a precedent, let's not have trigger events caused by rape because a) its seriously personal and b) it's cliche. Triggers can be caused by single events, a chain of events, or a long, drawn out event that causes gradual trauma. You can draw from your own experience if you want, but you don't need to. Most are expected to be at least seriously sucky occurrences with some verging on the irrecoverably traumatic. Batman, Spiderman (post Uncle ben), Mr.Freeze... a lot of established characters have origin stories that could be trigger events in themselves.

I don't normally believe in trigger warnings as they're used nowadays, but since these things ARE intentionally "triggering" I guess I can see the point. Examples below.

tw; school bullying, rumours, homophobia
Spoiler:

tw; sexual assault
Spoiler:

If you're having difficulty coming up with a second trigger, open ONE of these spoilers randomly and use it as a prompt
for something creative. Don't open them otherwise because they might infect your own ideas.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:10 pm

I think I might be interested in doing this, so ill be reading Worms over the weekend to get a better idea about the whole thing.
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Or 1/10th of the whole thing. Worm is reeeeeeeeeally long :V fortunately, triggers are a pretty early exposition, sans some of the more technical details.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:41 pm

tw; social fallouts
Spoiler:

tw; parents fighting?
Spoiler:

Surprisingly easy, actually mspa Are you gonna be reading these to make sure they're Good, Dee?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:47 pm

tw; Bad Luck, Debt
Spoiler:

tw; family issues, physical force, accidental death
Spoiler:

I'l also have to read some more worm, but I think these should work
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 am

i've never read worm in my entire life, let's give it a shot

tw: murder, domestic abuse
Spoiler:

tw: drugs, death, cars, hospitals
Spoiler:
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:04 am

tw: academic stress, familial expectations
Spoiler:

tw: destruction of sentimental objects
Spoiler:
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:27 am

We're gonna have sooooooooooo many superpowers also jesus are we depressing or what?????

To save time, if there are any issues with the prompts I'll rejig them a bit. I guess since we have more than enough triggers we can already start distributing! Anyone who comes in later can get some from the pile.

So after everyone gets their trigger, ideally, they don't really say anything about it after that so that other people make it work. But that works better for random character generation, so if you want, you can include some personal specifics (maybe this particular trigger hits you differently than most because of previous reasons) on your reaction and primary feelings. Not actions, so much, as feelings. We can work with that.

I'll also generate a couple of random nouns to seed powers. We can take them as being abstract representations, e.g. "Wren" could mean "bird powers", or it could be size, speed, agility, the ability to hide... "Hay" could mean "energy storage", "flammable", or "dried out". Don't give your feelings on these.

After *feelings*, we'll start applying those feelings and circumstances to the list of power groups, and try to create something to do with the noun in that group!

Spark:
Spoiler:
Accountant
Advice
Blow

OJ:
Spoiler:
Roller
Forehead
Nurse

iT:
Spoiler:
Escape
Guide
Togs (what the hell are togs... OH)

ilikeoctopus:
Spoiler:
Alibi
Angle
Castanets

The noun thing can be a little confusing. We're thinking in abstracts and only have to work with one, but can combine aspects or related aspects to work with several. E.g. "forehead + nurse" might involve some sort of mental effect, depending on the group, but we can worry about those later. For now, just provide your emotional response and where you think other people's responses fall in the power groups.

SHIT I FORGOT ME
Spoiler:
Basis
Condominium
Contagion (whoa that's a cool one)

Last edited by d_what on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:32 am

K so to start, my feelings on my trigger:

the dog is a symbol of my friendship, sure. But honestly I'd be less affected by that since it's not the *actual* friendship. Rather, though, I'd be personally offended by the intrusion into my own personal belongings, and infuriated by the level of spite and pettiness needed - by my own roommates - to effectively torture a stuffed dog. I'd be baying for a multitude of petty vengeances, unrelenting. Separately, I'd be anxious about the guy pinning me down - I want to hit him because bad as burning things are nobody should be touching me. Also, who the hell is lighting fires in my apartment??? So much bad form. These guys are petty AND they're idiots. Spite, dismissal, impotent fury, no real fear or deep sadness.

"Use the following guidelines to determine what sort of power a character has, based on their trigger. They can have multiple, lesser powers, or a power that blurs the line between two categories, as the trigger event dictates.

Mover - the power moves the cape. Flight, speed, teleportation, etc.
Mover triggers are provoked by a drive to escape, flee, run.

Shaker - Area of effect powers.
Shakers are generated from environmental danger or ambient danger.

Brute - Enhanced strength, durability; armor, muscle, personal forcefields.
Brutes are created from experiences of physical damage or pain.

Blaster - Powers that provide a ranged attack.
Blasters come about from hostile others, approaching or attacking from a distance.

Breaker - Altered state, oft toggled, granting powers or altered interaction with reality.
Breakers come from abstract stressors. Blend or ambiguous re: mental or physical lines.

Master - Creates minions or has a means of compelling others to take certain actions.
Masters come about from isolation, alienation, exile, or betrayal.

Tinker - Building alien or advanced technology.
Thinkers arise from solutionless problems over long periods, culminating in crisis moment.

Thinker - Advanced perception, knowledge, data-collection, or skills.
Thinkers manifest from emotional or mental strain, reaching a crisis point in a short time.

Striker - Touch based and melee effects. Typically weapon’s or arm’s reach limited.
Strikers result from immediate, in-your-face threat, usually a singular object or individual.

Changer - Shapeshifting and alteration of one’s physical form.
Changers arise from identity/body image issues, or conflict of role vs. social expectations.

Trump - Powers that involve powers: picking from, add, remove, complicate, compound.
Trumps have capes directly or indirectly involved in their trigger. Rare.

Stranger - Powers specializing in infiltration, distraction, subtlety.
Strangers gain powers from unwanted attention or social/collective pressure."

So which groups do these feelings fall under and in what amounts? Could be one, could be a combination of 2 or 3.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:28 pm

what is a cape because i'm assuming it's not.... what i am thinking of
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 12 Latest?cb=20100830030347
^not this
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Haha, no. Not unless Eridan has mystery superpowers (besides the white magijykkkkks). A cape is a slang term for superpowered individual (since not all of them are heroes or villains and we don't have access to "Mutants" like Marvel does).

Hmm. Taking it literally,

"Trumps have capes directly or indirectly involved in their trigger. Rare."
No fucking kidding that's rare. If Dave had suplex'd Karkat into a pit of lava, instead of the floor of the meteor beside a book full of scribbled purple dongs, then I guess he would've been a Trump.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Should we maybe move this to a seperate thread?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:40 pm

Probably. Things are quiet here though so we could almost combine all of the other threads into this one.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:52 pm

If you make a new thread, link it here
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:15 pm

I... would freak out at mine, probably. I have problems with agency and being just too freaked out for whatever reason to do harmless things, ending up often watching things unfold and feeling bad when it doesn't go as expected - so to see something like that... it'd be. Not the best, for sure. Lots of regret, fear and guilt - beating myself up for it mentally and just... thinking back on the experience constantly, what I could and should have done, what-if scenarios, etc etc.

I could see Dee's being a Blaster, or a Master? BLASTER MASTER. Yes.
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:56 pm

I have no clue how I'd react to a trigger like that, since it is VERY far removed from anything I ever experienced. The closest experience I had is the death of my grandma or that time my dad broke a couple ribs when he was cleaning the window and slipped of the ladder. Neither of those come even close to my trigger, so I really have no clue how I'd respond to something like that.

Also, isn't that kind of close to the "rape as trigger" thing we wanted to avoid?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 37 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24 ... 37  Next