Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

+12
tinning3
d_what
Captain
Sandstriker
Spark Eletran
NinteNerd
muffinz
OverlordJ
Gelatino
cephalopodAscendant
invisibleTerrarium
Hanky Panky
16 posters

Page 11 of 37 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24 ... 37  Next

Go down

If both were guaranteed to happen in sequence, which would you rather have released next?

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 11 I_vote_lcap0%Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 11 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 11 I_vote_lcap100%Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 11 I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 1

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 11 Empty Re: Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

Post by d_what Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:30 pm

I have no idea how any form of RP works outside of something Nepeta might do so I'll take your word for it Razz

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eIumiJQdJ6z_BWNIzy1vAsEyOO-F0QRyMNwCtWRuXyM/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hxYrt2d6b_LAaMPphcZEzwAruiSHQaiaBa3x2WMsGvA/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Py-zQBE94hm8Iu0Oqoy_p_svALXYkKVpTiq-i7PwCwE/edit

From what I gather, any powers have to be free form, since they're made fresh, and a book that detailed every power ever would be waaaaaaaaaaay too much information :O But I suppose things like... has forcefield, forcefields give+1 to, idk, guts, would be mixing free form with systems? I don't know what either of those are TBH. Doing an actual session looks like so much work D: I'm mostly interested for the power creation point of view, but that's dead-ended if nothing comes of it afterwards. If I could work out all of the details we could try that (i.e. author avatars, then we get powers) and then see what happens afterwards?
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀ - Page 11 Empty Re: Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Spoilers ahoy ☀

Post by invisibleTerrarium Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:57 pm

im finally reading monsterkind

i'm going to marry pascal
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Damn I keep forgetting that's a thing. Last time I read it was when they introduced mister tentacle arms. I can't get into it though, it's not my thing at all outside of the "mysterious evil corporation that does evil mysterious experiments" aspect.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Haven't checked the links out yet, but it sounds like a system to me - not a system as in a Roleplaying System, dnd style, but a system for finding out powers for a freeform RPs still. That's the thing with words, they can have multiple meanings and iiiit gets confusing mspa

Still tho, it sounds pretty fucking rad! Would love to make a character like that, it's both got character agency and a little bit of tasteful randomness, mmm :0
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:40 pm

Well, the gameplay still has rolls for stats and attempts at things (e.g. flirting or stabbing or both), I've seen the logs. But it isn't so technical as "move 30 feet and survey the area, roll for wits check," I think. We could definitely do the early parts. Idk though, we never have the numbers for IRC/chat boxes and I don't want to clutter up a thread with spoilered trigger events. I don't think we'd get far enough to warrant coming up with a new thread either :V

I've got two trigger events thought of already, though!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:50 pm

I am totally in support of using the power fining methode for free form, it is a good way to free form.

Free Form RP is kind of like what Nepeta does, or basically any time kids say "Lets play Cowboys/Pirates/Whatever"
It's where you just RP and you only follow the Golden Rules:

Rule 1: Don't tell what another character does or say what happens to them, say what you do and leave the reactions to the others (Example: Don't say "I shoot you in the head, you're dead" say something like "I aim my gun at your head and pull the trigger")

Rule 2: There is no rule 2

Some people also include "Rule 0" which is "We're all trying to have fun here so don't be a dick, if we're doing a Wild West RP, don't make a Cybord Ninja character whos armor plating makes them completly invurnable to bullets and who can move faster then sound"

If you want to create an actual system, think about what the core appeal of your RP is. In the case of Worm, it's dealing with superpowers and stuff, right? Well, if your system doesn't have rules for how exactly the core appeal works, that's a shitty system.

For example, the appeal for DnD is sword and sorcery, so the system details how fighting works and who can cast spells and how. If you want naval battles, that's not something you can do well in core DnD. DnD has then later expanded via supplements, that cover alternative core appeals (Survival in extreme climate? Try Frostburn and Sandstorm. Naval Warfare? Try Stromwrack. Want more Magic? Want Kung-fu style martial arts? Want more info about certain races? Want to be more evil or more good? There are supplements for all of these)

So yeah, a system whos core appeal is super powers and that doesn't include rules for how these powers actually work? Not a good system. It'd be like if DnD had not included any spells and just said "Wizards can do magic, figure out yourself what exactly that does"
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:59 pm

Hmm. Good points. I'll have to read more session logs, the only one I read starred a Thinker cape, whose power was automatically sensing anything that ever happened in an area - no rolls involved, since it was a consistent power, and his combat skills just used regular slashes/punches/dodges (which there is a system for). Something like "I charge and fire my nuclear hadouken" versus "I spray my homing sparks" would work very differently and I don't know how they'd work. Judging on how the powers are described in the second link, I think everyone has to outline some power based "moves" which sum up their character, a la Pokemon, and then the mechanics of those moves are fleshed out by... idk. The GM, the player, everybody in the session? The level of detail in most of the moves on that document provide a loose framework to work with, but it would require quite a bit of effort to do during character creation, plus it's prone to being totally broken (although that's actually fine in Wormverse. Some powers are just naturally shit/op.) I'll have to read more logs.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Yeah, basically, from the later links, it seems like people create moves that, more or less, fit into the system but that's still a shitty system then, you could literally do the same in ANY other system, heck, DnD does totally encourage players and DMs to make new spells that don't already exist, but unlike this "system", DnD has over 2000 different spells you can use as examples and inspiration, not counting the many alternative systems, like the Psionics or Manuvers.

Heck, you could create a superhero session in DnD, it is literally no harder then to do it in the system they are using.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Not to pop that particular bubble or anything, but Worm is a webserial way, way before it's an RPG. I don't think anybody expects it to be fully fleshed out and tested, not when it's pretty niche and, well, half the manual is still unwritten... compared to DnD, which has had thousands of play testers over several decades? Let's give credit where credit is due.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:07 pm

The issue is still that their rules don't cover the core engagement, they should have focussed on that the most, making a combat system is easy, heck, worst case, you could just steal an existing one, ain't no problem. I am not expecting them to have rules for everything, but what they are doing is like if they wanted to make a board game and they gave us a board with 50 fields in a straight line, each field in one of eight colours, a die and some figures and told us "make something up that happens when you land on a field of a specific colour before you play"

Like, I am not criticizing the specific rules that exist or balance issues or anything, THOSE are things that can be fixed with more playtesting, what I AM criticizing is that they are missing the most important part of what their system is supposed to accomplish.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:48 pm

If there was some kind of outline on how powers worked, like maybe a point system you could put into it to make it do certain things, or have a certain amount of power (maybe something kind of like how the overseer session does Classpect powers?), I think it could potentially be a good system.
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 pm

I think at that point you're getting close to simply reinventing GURPS?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:45 am

I guess that means GURPS with some flavor stuff added is the best way to play a Worm RPG ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:56 am

Well, GURPS does stand for the "Generic Universal Role Playing System"
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:15 pm

OverlordJ wrote:
Rule 1: Don't tell what another character does or say what happens to them, say what you do and leave the reactions to the others (Example: Don't say "I shoot you in the head, you're dead" say something like "I aim my gun at your head and pull the trigger")

Rule 2: There is no rule 2

i'm having war flashbacks to FS2
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:17 pm

FS2?
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Random segue, but it looks like Europe's getting steelbook editions of S&M. Let's just hope the US gets something better than a serial code for Potions this time.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Sandstriker wrote:FS2?

Forumstuck 2, the second iteration of an old MSPAF RP OJ and i were DM's of. there was this one dude whose name i could never spell who would constantly godmod and give himself ridiculous powers. That "I put a gun to ur head and u die" example OJ gave is (i think) taken right from that old thread and unfortunately it was me getting shot by that guy
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Tell me more stories of this wonderful godmodder. If you can't remember the details, make them up because I'm not gonna know.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:37 pm

I think we posted links to some of the old Forumstuck stuff in this thread actually, most of it was actually pretty fun, but yeah...

EDIT: Incidentally, Forumstuck is a great example of freeform RP
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:57 pm

d_what wrote:Tell me more stories of this wonderful godmodder. If you can't remember the details, make them up because I'm not gonna know.

The character's name was Zed, and I don't remember his username but he was an IRL friend of wolftamer9 if anyone remembers that guy. He really, really didn't want my dude to godtier for whatever reason, he went to my planet and blew up my quest bed, and then when I tried to use the crypt on Prospit he took the enormous war he for some reason started with wolftamer9 (which wolf was pretty clearly getting aggravated with) over to prospit, snapped my dude's neck and nuked the planet. When Wolf rewound time to let me godtier, Zed cracked the crypt in half and shot my guy with a shotgun. That's about all that was directed specifically at me, but you really should've seen this war, it was unbelievable the lengths these guys went to fuck each other up
i think at one point zed resurrected the entire fucking grey army (like the black and white armies, but grey and kinda gooey) and sent them at wolf along with an incredible number of . His powers were really vaguely defined and he ended up fused with like eight different creatures and multiclassed to hell and back. At some point he moved house irl and just kinda abandoned the thread which left a really frustrated wolftamer9 to finish the war without him, playing both characters, trying to figure out how to get rid of this incredibly stupid thing he created. watching it all unfold was incredibly amusing but truth be told i only ever read like half the posts because they were all massive multi-paragraph shitshows
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Yikes. Honestly he seems really awful. Did anyone call him out on his bullshit? Or did people just constantly roll with it?
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:13 pm

OJ shut 'im down eventually. I had the power to as well (we were co-DMs in the absence of Bearstronaut) but he was deliberately antagonizing me and also i was like 13 i think so it didnt really occur to me to do anything
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:36 am

Honestly, I mostly forgot about those details, but I'll trust iTs memories, and shutting down people who ruin others RPs is something I can totally see myself doing
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:52 am

I have a good memory for useless information mspa
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 37 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24 ... 37  Next