Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The TCG Corner

+2
Gelatino
Hanky Panky
6 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The TCG Corner - Page 2 Empty Re: The TCG Corner

Post by Gelatino Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:19 pm

no you don't write the degree sign when you're using kelvin

that's the only objection i have with that entire train wreck you just wrote up there
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

https://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 pm

That's the ONLY objection?? Dear god you've won. In a battle of irritation one-up-man-ship you've actually won.

I'll get your prize's as soon as I withdraw the check from an ATM machine.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm

So how do you filter out your two double colorless lands so that you can reliably use them every turn? and why aren't you running 4 of them?
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 pm

I do. But two of them are from the first set so they're old and look different. They're behind the others. Sadly, there's only really 1 card at the moment that can reliably search out a DCE, and you can only have one of it, I alas have zero of it. If I had it it would be an easy replacement though because Ultra Ball has an identical effect to Computer Search, the difference being computer search gets anything whereas Ultra Ball gets only Pokemon.

I have to rely on good old fashioned draw power. Most decks rely only on supporters - the once per turn people cards with crazy draw effects -for their draw power, and not having access to one in a turn can be absolutely game changingly bad. So everybody runs a lot. But on top of that I run Empoleon, and once one is up it's easier to get more trainers and more Empoleon. Also most of my other trainers are good-ol' fashioned search cards so they thin the deck further. I can be cycling through 18 different cards in my deck in a given turn what with one thing and another.

Early game Colress or late game N seriously suck though. Fortunately nobody ever spots my MASSIVE N weakness.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:28 pm

So why are you only allowed to run 1 copy of whatever card fetches your nonbasic land?

edit: i have a computer search card. do you have a max hand size in pokemon tcg? i know mtg only lets you have 7 EOT unless you have reliquary tower or library of leng or something else that removes your max hand size limit.

i could mail this card to you.

also what about computer error? or Challenge? I know when i was like 12 or 13 i ran a sneasel haymaker deck that was nothing but like sneasel, hitmonchan, and some baby pokemon with Challenge to help me fill my bench so Beat up would wreck shit.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Rotation. None of those cards are even remotely legal, unless they're exact reprints (e.g. DCE). The new computer search has am erratta that makes it a 1-of, this is a big enough change to warrant if you use the original you have to own a new to compare it to, but since you can only have one ANYWAY it's a wasted effort. Plus I have a few of the old ones anyway, thanks.

No max hand size Very Happy by the end game my hand is easily 4 times the size of my deck! But if anyone plays an N, I have to shuffle it back in and draw cards equal to my remaining prizes, typically 1-3. Which is devastating unless I have 2 empoleons going and eventual access to a supporter that isn't N.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm

that sounds dumb as hell

want a shining celebi
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Which part is dumb, the Max hand size or the one-off, or, yeah, the unavailability of older Computer Searches? The latter is a very contested issue.
Want a shiny Zekrom Razz
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:45 am

ugh :/

I think I'm going to end up buying yugioh cards Sad
I can't stand the show or the plot, but the gameplay has always been varied and intense and strategic, and I appreciate that. But specifically, ever since (approx. 2009) I got my hands on my neighbour's 2008 yugioh DS game, (he couldn't beat the first level, I was internet-savvy and googled everything) I've enjoyed playing matches with decent meta decks and particularly using one archetype in particular. But I've never really owned cards and after I gave the game back and googled the cost of my in-game deck, I decided to forget about it. (it was about a thousand.)

Which brings me to yesterday - one of my friends, who had a polite interest in the Pokemon TCG due to yours truly, mentioned how his neighbour-friends and himself were gonna buy some random cardpiles from ebay. That made me nostalgic, and I told him to google cheap competitive decks because you never know, there might be some under 50 euro. (Which is less than what I paid form my Accelgor deck: Mew Ex and stock Trainers are EXPENSIVE. But the deck was still cheap.)

In the end, I googled it - and it turns out my archetype has been plodding along the whole time, generally around tier 2, and getting steadily cheaper after plenty of reprints.

IN ADDITION TO THAT:

In EXACTLY THREE DAYS
the FIRST STRUCTURE DECK FOR THAT ARCHETYPE EVER is releasing, for approx. 8.99 dollars.

And of its 41 cards, half of them are neat and the other half are actually mandatory.

And I can get the remaining cards for 30 dollars including shipping online - and most of them are REALLY FRIGGIN COOL EAT YOUR HEART OUT SHELMET IT SUCKS THAT I HAD TO PAY MONEY FOR YOU

unk.

I'M SO CONFLICTED???
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:47 am

I am so out of touch with most TCGs, I have no idea what to tell you here...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:54 pm

I was never "in touch" with either Yugioh or MTG, and I haven't done anything in Pokemon for about half a year, since I can no longer visit league. But then, I don't intend to. It's more of an... emotional attachment; I'll rarely if ever get to use it with my friend, and he'd be the ONLY person I'd ever use it with - and unless he's also getting a meta deck, I'll probably win. So actual plays are out.

But they're so niiiiiiiiice Sad I'm just not sure if I want to be *that* person when I've already done and FINISHED WITH the competitive Pokemon TCG. Also I can explain the Pokemon cards to my parents and sister. I... won't be able to get away with yugioh cards. They're gonna stay in a box.

BUT THEY'RE SO GREAAAAT and mostly cheap. But what if the cards don't arrive??? :O or what if I can't find a brick-and-mortar shop with the structure deck??? what do??? also I have a new car to pay off and get insurance for, can I really justify a vanity purchase???
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Well, I don't know your financial situation is, so...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Why don't you just play Magic instead of Yugioh?

Seriously. And if there's a decent singles market for both Pokemon and Yugioh, and you don't intend to play either anymore, you can always fill your wallet with the days of metas past. I dump Standard meta stuff like it's going out of style when i open packs in MTG.

but really, MTG is the better game of the three. It's got a HUGE depth of strategy to it. i would highly recommend it. just don't get into standard. draft, trade away your theros block stuff that's up, sink your time and effort into value cards for eternal formats and squirrel them up until you have enough to start building either a fun EDH deck (between $100-500 USD on average) or a modern/legacy deck (multiple 1000s of dollars, depending on the deck).

or just crack packs and play kitchen table all the freaking time
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:00 am

Well, sure, but the main thing is the nostalgic attachment. That's the only thing really drawing me to this specific deck, the strategy's just a bonus. Plus if I'm gonna get a deck it HAS to be current and Meta, which is where Yugioh uniquely wins (no rotations, only banlists). Also, and this is something I know is a silly thing but is enough to sour it for me,

all the irl people I know who play Magic consistently (instead of like a month before forgetting it exists) are, without exception, varying shades of Jerk.

:/

And the big thing about this one (which last night I committed to btw) is I can get an entire, meta-complete deck that I'm totally happy with, with about 30 extra cards for changes and techs, for no more than 40 dollars. That's pretty cool.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:13 am

Wow, so I'm a Jerk, huh? The TCG Corner - Page 2 Mspa_face
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 am

Yes.

But only if I know you IRL.

So you get by! Stay exactly where you are OJ, don't leave the country!
((actually that reminds me, is there even the remotest chance you live in Cologne/Ko-umlaut!ln? It's the only place in Germany I've been to))
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:48 am

Nah, I live in Berlin, except for the last two years I've been studying and living in Dresden, so I guess I'll have to start saying that I live in Dresden now... :/
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:05 pm

I found a thing Very Happy It's a program called YGOPRO! Lets you play games offline or online against AI, internet, or local opponents, has basically every card and ruling in it and available, support for new ones, decent interface and changeable music... It's like the Pokemon TCGO only not stupid.

So I'm happy! I can try out my deck before it arrives, and I have to say I am happy with it Very Happy Wish I could've done that for Empoleon/Accelgor... really need a catchy name for that deck. AI opponents though, yuck. Not very clever at all.

Also I don't know how to actually use the online capabilities but that's okay, I've had my yugioh fill for life at this point.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 pm

What's going on with Yu-Gi-Oh! anyways? Last I remember they were introducing yet another thing like synchro monsters, was it called xyyz or something, I don't know, it was weird.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Yeah, it's a lot like Synchros. Except instead of getting rid of a Tuner and another card, whose levels equal the synchro, you combine two cards with the SAME level into an XYZ of that level. There's a few other quirks, but that's it really.

Except now they've introduced Pendulum summons, which seem, from my inexperienced point of view, Batshit crazy.

And XYZs were already pretty crazy.

Have you considered a Gravekeeper's Deck, OJ? It's a continually decent meta deck.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 pm

I had considered a Gravekeeper deck. Once. Long ago. I even have a couple Gravekeepers, just not the good ones. Nor do I have their land, which would be kind of important. And as I said, I stopped buying cards before Synchros started and I stopped paying attention around the time XYZ first got introduced. And I haven't played a single game in years. Also, I stopped paying attention because I was disliking the way the game evolved. I had started with the very first boosters and back then basically everyone could use every card. The first "theme" decks were based around simple things, like burn or aggro. Then we got more and more cards that helped a specific type, like fiends or zombies. That was nice, because people had always liked to do theme decks like that and support for it was neat. Then we got some of the first "theme" decks. I think Gravekeepers were even one of the first, IIRC. However, many of those cards still worked outside of theme decks, they were just better within one. But then we got stuff like aliens and whatnot and they all get "this themes blackhole" and "this themes reanimate" and stuff like that and buying boosters became silly if you weren't playing a theme deck, because like 90% of the cards in a booster were only usable in a theme deck and even if you DID play a theme deck, most of the cards were useless to you. And while I know buying boosters might not be too smart, I always loved doing it, because it gives you a sense of excitement. But if you know there won't ever be anything in the booster that you can use, what's the point.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:17 pm

OJ, talk to me about magic~

i just built a goblin tribal deck that combos off around turn 4 with the right play.

it pisses people off.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:00 am

Whuzzat? Magic? Hello. I play blue/black with a weird strategy focusing around stealing life from your opponent and healing yourself with it while simultaneously dragging down your opponents' creatures' stats. Carnifex demon is my bro 4 lyfe
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:43 am

Black and Blue? So do I, I actually got multiple decks like that. While not my strongest, my Dimir Deck Destruction deck is still my favourite. The other one uses creatures that avoid being blocked and some kill and control spells. But to be honest, my favourite thing is to take all my cards and come up with a new deck. Mind you, as I said, I love buying boosters but I rarely buy single cards, so I usually don't have rare cards more then once, maybe twice, so my decks usually aren't as strong, but I still greatly enjoy them.
I tend to use Blue and/or Black the most, because I play best with them. I love red but I'm usually too careful and lose because of that.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:05 am

To be fair OJ, that kind of centralisation is common in a lot of games. I know what you mean though; you rapidly begin to learn that Archetypes are where it's at and no deck really goes without one. Boosters are typically useless anyway, even in Pokemon (unless you have a lot of them, or a lot of people WITH them).

But more specifically I meant have you considered building a Gravekeeper deck on a simulator, like I did with my Lightsworns yesterday. I wouldn't expect you to actually purchase cards, what would be the point of that I'd get nothing from it mspa

Links:

http://www.ygopro.co/Downloadmembers.aspx
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gravekeeper's
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1168966

(incidentally, as far as I know, Gravekeepers absolutely shit on my deck. I mean the very definition of defecate. That is what they do. Hurrah?)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum