Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

+19
variegatedDreamraptor
Captain
Hanky Panky
Hytheter
Sandstriker
ilikeoctopus
muffinz
Spark Eletran
PunchesMalone
d_what
tinning3
kotakun
Dregadude
cephalopodAscendant
Druplesnubb
phantasmalDexterity
NinteNerd
OverlordJ
Gelatino
23 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 26 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by Spark Eletran Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Dregadude wrote:
Spark Eletran wrote:From the official X and Y site, Drega
Well I NEVER.

For one thing, my hair is not white, nor am I Irish. SPARK, I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS.
I DONT KNOW WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

also i like the idea of pokémon bank and all

and also that it means people can transfer through games with only one system
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 26 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by variegatedDreamraptor Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:45 am

cephalopodAscendant wrote:It's not probably. The official site explicitly states that Mega Venusaur gets boosts to Defense and Special Defense. Mega Charizard gets to enjoy an increased Special Attack. Interestingly, Mega Blastoise is the one we know least about. We've only got a vague description for its ability, and no info about stat changes. Also, Mega Charizard's design reminds me of something:
Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 26 V4c5t1
Although it's more like taking parts of Garchomp's general silhouette.
I thought it was supposed to look vaguely like Kyurem and Aerodactyl personally, but that's just me.

In any case, though, I liked it. It reminded me of the symbol I created for one of my characters, which I guess means it in turn reminded me vaguely of the MF dragon. Which is good, because I LOVED the MF dragon, and Charizard never has the problem of dying too early.

I also seem to just like things with spiky heads, period.
variegatedDreamraptor
variegatedDreamraptor
Cooltrainer

Location : Guys just so you know I am basically NEVER on here. I only really go on the Skype now.

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am

Hey, guys, I was wondering. One of the 'mons rumoured to get a MegaEvolution is Gengar. Scary as that is, in both senses, I was wondering:

...how???
I mean, it's a Poison Ghost. It's not like anybody is clamouring for a type change. And Levitate is a major asset, plus Game Freak rarely ditch Levitate for anything (consider DreamWorld abilities. Mind you, I could see them doing it for Lati@s). So that would mean...just a generic stat boost? Is that not both overkill power-wise and also kind of boring? Unless it's completely unpredicted, like major stat changes to a Wall... that would be weird though and not entirely in Gengar's nature. TBH I'm kind of hoping the actual BSTs in Mega Evolutions are negligible gains and most points come from redistributions, e.g MegaLucario losing Sp.Atk to supplement Attack.

But... what if Gengar got an ability that for all intents and purposes supplanted the Ground immunity?
Dare I say it?
Spoiler:
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:20 am

d_what wrote:Hey, guys, I was wondering. One of the 'mons rumoured to get a MegaEvolution is Gengar. Scary as that is, in both senses, I was wondering:

...how???
I mean, it's a Poison Ghost. It's not like anybody is clamouring for a type change. And Levitate is a major asset, plus Game Freak rarely ditch Levitate for anything (consider DreamWorld abilities. Mind you, I could see them doing it for Lati@s). So that would mean...just a generic stat boost? Is that not both overkill power-wise and also kind of boring? Unless it's completely unpredicted, like major stat changes to a Wall... that would be weird though and not entirely in Gengar's nature. TBH I'm kind of hoping the actual BSTs in Mega Evolutions are negligible gains and most points come from redistributions, e.g MegaLucario losing Sp.Atk to supplement Attack.

But... what if Gengar got an ability that for all intents and purposes supplanted the Ground immunity?
Dare I say it?
Spoiler:
Honestly, that'd be a freaking AMAZING idea.

I was going to say maybe it gets wonderguard but then I remembered that Poison is actually weak to ground so that won't happen.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by willPowered Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:39 am

d_what wrote:But... what if Gengar got an ability that for all intents and purposes supplanted the Ground immunity?
Dare I say it?
Spoiler:
Oh arceus no, that would be terrifying. Gengar is meant to be a glass cannon; this ability effectively gives it infinite defence. It could switch into literally any physical attacker without worry, and then gets a free turn to set up a substitute while they switch out, or hypnosis what they send in. Its fast too, so if the opponent does have one special attack, it can block the first with sub and then disable it. The contact versions not much better, its only vulnerabilities from physical attackers would be earthquake and rock moves, the latter of which are never very accurate.
willPowered
willPowered
Youngster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm

That... sounds pretty awesome, actually. OP? Yes. But awesome all the same.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Oh wow, will! I hadn't even thought of all those gengar-specific strategies! That thing would be banned in Ubers. Well caught. Say... You wouldn't be interested in a battle sometime, wudya?
Also should the reverse ability ever exist with it it would replicate and be infinitely superior to GSC's INfamous SkarmBliss strategy. By all accounts that thing was a terror, but even they weren't outright immune to attacks.

MegaShedinja: Wonderblock: basically wonderguard upgrade that also blocks hazard/weather damage (but not both. One or the other, can't decide.)

MegaCrobat: Night Fangs: Contact moves heal Crobat for half the damage done. Also seen on Arbok.

(Note: wishful thinking Sad I think Night Fangs could be a legit ability though!)

Ide: Jynx will get Snow warning. And also be useless at it. There aren't any other icetypes on that list, and none of the others seen likely... Snow warning needs a non-ice type to flourish, it really does.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:30 pm

i caught wind of the mega gen1 starters just a bit earlier.

i don't like any of them.
venasaur's gotta be the lamest though. "here you get a couple of vines and a flower on your head." "also you basically just have two less weaknesses now good luck against huge power megamawile and speed boost megablaziken."

unless it gets like, 200 def and sp. def, this thing's nowhere NEAR the level of OP the others are. poor venasaur :[

as for d_what's ability, wonder block would definitely be more broken if it protected against hazards.
also night fangs would only be feasible and not obscenely broken if it was restricted to biting moves.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm

NinteNerd wrote:i caught wind of the mega gen1 starters just a bit earlier.

i don't like any of them.
venasaur's gotta be the lamest though. "here you get a couple of vines and a flower on your head." "also you basically just have two less weaknesses now good luck against huge power megamawile and speed boost megablaziken."

unless it gets like, 200 def and sp. def, this thing's nowhere NEAR the level of OP the others are. poor venasaur :[
I actually disagree. Maybe it's just my love for Venusaur but, while it might not be the best of ALL megaevolutions, it's definatly the best of the three starters. The design is pretty good, at least not worse then Blastoise and definatly better then Charizards weird new head and arm things. Plus, the abilities combine nicely, unlike for the other two. Megaevolving a Venusaur with Chlorophil can be really smart. Use the extra speed to set yourself up and then bulk up and loose half your weaknesses to stay in the game. Charizard can make the new weather, which is nice but unless there is a wait to UNmegaevolve it loses it's ability to properly abuse sunshine, which is a pretty big downside. And the "Pulsmove" thing Blastoise is getting might be really bad, depending on how poerful it actually is and which moves are actually affected.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm doing some digging on Bulbapedia, and it looks like we have 5 good candidates for "pulse" moves. These five moves are the only non-Flying moves that can hit non-adjacent Pokémon in Triple Battles. Water Pulse and Dark Pulse we already knew about, but there's also Dragon Pulse, Heal Pulse, and Aura Sphere (whose Japanese name can be translated to Pulse Bomb). Blastoise only learns one of these. Interestingly, Lucario learns all BUT one. Granted, Heal Pulse may or may not be affected since it's a status move rather than an offensive move. I'm convinced that there have to be more, because I highly doubt Game Freak would give a Mega form a nigh-useless ability. It's also fairly likely that we'll get at least a couple introduced in Gen VI, but there's no guarantee.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Well, Heal Pulse may be turned into a Fairy-type attack, or there could be a Fairy pulse move. There should definitely be a Fire pulse move too, if Game Freak is determined to make pulse moves a thing.

I just realized what I dislike most about mega Blastoise: it looks almost exactly like a large Genesect.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 pm

My original prediction - which currently still stands - was that eight mons from each gen (3 starters, 5 others, including at least one legend) would go mega. These were those predictions.

Gen 1:

Gen II:

Gen III:

Gen IV:

Gen V:

I admit a lot of these are wishful thinking, but I'M A 'MURICAN I'M FREE TO DREAM

Also I got to wondering, what if there were a monkey for every type...?
SO I MADE A LIST
so many words and bad puns:
Feel free to complete the list, I'm outta here. Too much typing. Pchooo.

invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:10 pm

normal panstar simistar
bug panstring simistring
ground pansoil simisoil
poison pansick simisick
steel pansteel simisteel
fairy pansylph simisylph
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Why 8 from each generation, specifically? Also, Alakazam is far more likely than Jynx, and Rotom is not legendary (you can breed it with Ditto to get Rotom eggs). We're also probably going to get Mega forms for Kalos Pokémon, but that's admittedly harder to predict since we don't know all of them yet (the starters are a pretty safe bet, though).
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 pm

yeah, Rotom is DEFINITELY not a legendary

and considering weve seen four starters megaevolving so far id say all of them are for sure
and your chosen kalos starter will probably affect some in-game event where you get a mega stone for it

also elemental monkeys

i like how out of the "list" they all are pan[s-word]
except for panpour
poor panpour
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:46 am

Bluh elemental monkeys were possibly the worst part of Gen V for me. Just a waste of space in the Pokedex. Next time Game Freak should just pick one typing for their Pokemon and stick to it.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:56 am

If the base forms were actually usable, I'd have fewer problems with them. But if I have to level them up a ridiculous amount to get a good movepool before I can evolve them to get rid of their crappy stats, I'm just going to find something else instead.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 am

I liked how in BW2 you got them late enough that they could be ready to evolve by right about the time they're grinded up to the level of the reast of your team.
...Except that in BW2 they're each a 10% encounter, in shaking grass only, in a single area, so of course nobody ever gets to use one in those games.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 am

Bluh. elemental monkeys. The sole reason they exist because Gamefreak decided that it's not fun if you can't have a major advantage against a Gym. Bluh.

Anyway, I wonder.... if your pokemon who you sent to the Bank can hold items.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:33 am

Spark Eletran wrote:yeah, Rotom is DEFINITELY not a legendary

and considering weve seen four starters megaevolving so far id say all of them are for sure
and your chosen kalos starter will probably affect some in-game event where you get a mega stone for it

also elemental monkeys

i like how out of the "list" they all are pan[s-word]
except for panpour
poor panpour
petition to rename it pansoak
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 am

I mostly didn't like the monkeys because to many trainers had all three of them. It would have been better if they had treated them like normal Pokemons. I mean, how many trainers had one of the monkeys but NOT all three of them? I don't know if there were ANY trainers like that...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 am

Cheren and Bianca only ever had the one each.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 am

a quarter of the trainers had all three while the rest had one each split between the same area
source http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/trainers/511.shtml and the same for pansear and panpour
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:23 am

Well, he might be Simpour, but he certainly doesn't Simisuck. [/stealing smogon's jokes]

Eight just seemed like the right number, not too many, not too few.
Honestly I'd prefer Dunsparce get a standard evolution, and Skarmory going mega, but I can see it go either way.
I know Jynx is unlikely, I said it was wishful thinking.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 pm

kotakun wrote:a quarter of the trainers had all three while the rest had one each split between the same area
Which is just as annoying, at least in my opinion.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next