Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 28 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by kotakun Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 am

d_what wrote:who here is not in a position to be able to get ORAS at some point :O
well i will be getting it hopefully on release day but i think thats not what you are really trying to say
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 am

Well, first of all, my main combo is still Kraj + Gyre + Bairn.
Leafcaller and Chandelabra help me turn Gyres green mana in other colours, especially blue. Gyre + Caller + Vigean = Infinite mana in any colour. The transmuters mostly help me look for Gyre and the other combo pieces.
Elvish Aberration on the other hand can take Gyres place in the Kraj combo, can easily be dumped in the yard and makes a decent body for my Commander.

Spoiler:

For board wipes, don't I have enough between the Stone and the Gaze? I'll see what I can to about removal. As for the Chant, how does it compare to Sheoldred in your opinion?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:47 pm

okay, so i played EDH last night against a guy who was running a Vorel of the Hull Clade counters deck and it has some sick tech. i'll be making suggestions from the stuff he was running. some of it is fantastic, and some of it is meh. he tends to go for theme over function, so when something works out well, it's amazing.

I don't own Sheoldred, so I don't really know. I do know that enchantments tend to last longer than oppressive creatures, and since Deadbridge Chant doesn't have the downside for your opponents like Sheoldred does, it'll likely stay on the board longer. it's a pseudo reanimation effect.

For board wipes, i think 3 total board wipes would be enough. i try to run 5 or so in decks that focus more on control, honestly. But since you're so creature-centric, it doesn't make sense to sweep everything multiple times. look at Plague Wind and Cyclonic rift for getting rid of everyone's stuff but yours.

counterspells: Glen elendra archmage, if you can get your hands on it. sac effect to counter a noncreature spell with persist. just move a +1/+1 counter over and voila, repeatable persist. also combos with dead mike since you as the active player can choose how the persist/undying order resolves. one, then the other to counter everything out.

targeted removal WOODFALL PRIMUS, BABY. and maybe bane of progress, since we're not running TOO many artifacts and enchantments.

to replace brawn, i suggest Crowned Ceratok. It's just like Sapphire Drake but with trample. or you could be redundant and throw brawn/wonder in there as well. but the two from RTR block are more on-theme.

instead of shielding plax, use plaxcaster frogling. it can cover all your creatures.

cytoplast manipulator
llanowar reborn
vorel of the hull clade
prime speaker zegana
(i was going to suggest reanimate again, but it looks like it's doubled in price in the month since i bought mine. it was $2.50 USD and i was wondering why you said it was so expensive!)
maybe isochron scepter for all those cheapy cheap instants you insist on keeping in your deck. i don't think burst of strength is a very good idea, but don't forget that this is your deck and you have the final say (not like i'll condemn you for playing certain cards, anyway. what am i gonna do, reach across the ocean and smack you in the back of the head and call you a dumbass? lol).
if you can, get a hydra with trample. protean hydra or kalonian. i would splurge for kalonian hydra, though. he's baller.
evolution vat
FORGOTTEN ANCIENT. forgot about that guy! whenever ANYONE plays a spell, he gets bigger. and he has super graft upkeep trigger. definitely a nice addition.
oh, shit. realm seekers is a +1/+1 counters creature and you can turn its counters into fetching lands to your hand. very useful for getting a land drop/filtering all the lands out of your deck so you draw nothing but bombs for the rest of the game
novijen, heart of progress
sporeback troll

oh, and if you're browsing on chrome, you should get autocard anywhere. it's an extension.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I'll take a look at all of those Smile
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 pm

So my school changed its wifi security implementation, and now it works with the 3DS! I have yet to try it with the Wii U, but I've always got Connectify if need be.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:18 am

my school hated my ds for the last two years but they are changing the security as well so i might be able to connect and play on the nonexistent genv wifi without you all
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Let us all have a moment of silence for Bird Moses the Swellow, who was slain today in the battle with Wattson's Hariyama. Rest in peace, speedy feathered one. Rest in peace.

Okay moment of silence over haha weeeeee slowpoke reggae
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:56 am

Wattson's... Hariyama? Wow Emerald sure has changed a lot since I've played it last >:/

BTW Kotakun yeah you got what I was going for. I'm just making sure that we don't make anyone feel unduly bad when ORAS comes out and everyone bar some unlucky few is gushing about mudkipz/trumpets/something.

Spoiler:
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:44 am

Hanky Panky wrote:~good tips~

Good point about Sheoldred, she certainly has a much bigger target on her forehead then the chant.

For Boardwipes, I'll look for those you said as well as two from M15, Perilous Vault, which is an artifact that can exile every nonland once, and In Garruk's Wake, which is the Hero's Downfall to Plague Wind. I'll have to see how much everything costs. The Rift is especially interessting, since it could work with the Scepter if I do put it in this deck.

Glen is awesome and I'll try to get one.

I don't like Bane too much but Primus is pretty great, especially since he's another big body for my commander in the worst case.

I already had planned to put both llanowar and novijen into my deck, possibly as well as Wirewood Lodge. I don't have too many elfs but the ones I do certainly love untapping. Vorel was already in my deck as well.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:24 am

d_what wrote:BTW Kotakun yeah you got what I was going for. I'm just making sure that we don't make anyone feel unduly bad when ORAS comes out and everyone bar some unlucky few is gushing about mudkipz/trumpets/something.
dont worry i survived when you did that for xy i think ill survive for oras if in doubt i can just go play ruby and pretend its omegaruby
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:58 pm

So, I went and got my hand on some of the cards.

I couldn't get:

I did get:

I'm going to remove and then add some of the things you suggested and post the revisited list later. Also, out of curiosity, since I am sort of stealing the Doubling Season from my B/G Mushroom deck, what do you think about adding Conspiracy to the Mushroom Deck? It can make some fun combos happen by turning the Saprolings into Shrooms.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:12 pm

yeah, the cards you didn't get were all money things. I was lucky to have held onto my Genesis from when I opened it in a booster pack like 10 years ago. opened maelstrom pulse in a modern masters booster. best friend pulled a tarmogoyf out of that box... he turned it into $150 worth of EDH stuff though. and a Modern deck.

also, cyclonic rift is like $3, so if you can get your hands on at least one (it and spin into myth are basically my blue staple package for EDH), they are totally worth it. nothing like saving a friend's hide from a blowout or even your own hide. (i play the super political game in my group)

i think conspiracy would be good to have in the mushroom deck. especially since you can still do some saproling tribal stuff like generate saproling tokens with the fungi and whatnot. conspiracy adds the creature type, rather than overriding what's already written on the card (as it should be, because overriding it would be silly and needlessly difficult).

I think it's fine that you keep Elvish Aberration in the deck. the thing about EDH is that it is a format of FUN, not DECKBEATDOWNCONSISTENCYGITGUDSCRUBALTF4UNINSTALL, so if you want to keep him in there, do it. shit, bro. you're the one running the deck, anyway. i don't even know if something else would fit the bill better.

traumatic visions is a counterspell you might want to look at. it has basic landcycling, to make up for it costing 3UU. it essentially can be a rampant growth of sorts if you're sorely lacking a certain color.

now, what i suggest for the expensive cards, is that if you really enjoy how the deck works, and have fun with it, then keep it together. don't dismantle it, and slowly build it into a more powerful deck over time. buy the expensive cards one at a time, like i'm going to with my jhoira horse-trading "i just can't wait to piss everyone off because no one is going to end up with the same permanents under their control that they started my turn with" deck. ultimately, i want to pick up a flusterstorm ($40) and a gilded drake ($30). those will be the final pieces of the deck and will likely be traded for, rather than purchased.

that's how i did my animar deck with the 49 stupid goodstuff creatures that nobody likes looking at even though i scoop to board wipes. seriously, people bitch about that deck but remove animar once and i am up shit creek without a paddle. it's not hard to disrupt.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:15 am

Actually, while most of those cards were a little expensive (Genesis 7€, Glen 9€ two name two examples), the real reason why I didn't get them was simply that my shop didn't have them at the moment.

And yeah, I'll probably buy the missing cards eventually.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:10 pm

AAAAAAAAH SMASHBROSLEAK

AAAAAAAAAAAAH:

They also moved the release date up!!! It's coming out October 3rd now, which means we're basically a month away! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH

If anyone doubts the legitimacy, there were six short videos that were on youtube for about three hours before they were taken down on copyright by Nintendo of America.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:29 pm

...Sorry iT, colour me skeptical and completely "neh" about this. It's not like that leak is even news, it's been floating around for the best part of a week now. Check out the MSPAforums thread, even. I'd like most of those characters in, but... leaks are too easy to fake and so far there haven't been *any* decent ones, not since the +Chrom one was debunked (and was a fairly likely/weak guess in any case). If they do actually unveil the Chorus men then I take it back because they are the definition of a long shot.

Also I haven't seen the videos so I'm operating on the basis of them not existing because that is all I can do :0

brb hatching starly
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:37 pm

https://imgur.com/a/PzeCw

okay so those are the kinda things that could sway me, because those things are low on leakage and heavy on Sakurai's distinct authenticity. So I'd take that as being decent bets that Shulk and Dark Pit exist on the roster. But despite Dark Pit being a... weird and sort of lazy??? choice, it makes sense from a gambling perspective. Loads of people wanted Shulk, we know that, and the game certainly warrants it. We know Sakurai is *personally* aware of Shulk from his Monado tweet, and we can justify that he wouldn't play like just another swordsman. All in all? Decent newcomer chance. Meanwhile Dark Pit had that bizarre cameo towards the end of Palutena's reveal, and Lucina confirmed that clones are back and as shameless as ever - and logic dictates it wasn't just going to happen once. Dark Pit fits in that regard - though he's still a pretty lame character to have all things considered.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm still pretty skeptical of these leaks. How would Dark Pit even play differently from normal Pit? Until we actually see official confirmation from Sakurai, I won't believe a word of it.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:37 pm

come on, sakurai. just add lloyd irving. or luke fon fabre.

or i guess namco. whoever.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 pm

who i really want back in ssb4 is pichu screw charizard and greninja i want pichu so badly
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:27 am

I want Paper Mario. I always have! Since trophies have referenced Paper Mario before and the series is so different but popular and anyway they had *Doctor* Mario, Paper Mario makes sense as an unlockable. Lightweight character with Mario's basic moves and unique specials. There's an actual Paper Mario stage now, so it's within the realm of possibility if the leak is fake/wrong? I wouldn't mind Bowser Jr. either, he's the kind of Mario character that wouldn't over inflate the roster and could have neat moves, clown car or no clown car. I'm still sad there's not gonna be any Platinum representation though... a trophy doesn't cut it. RAYMAN got a trophy for pete's sake (p.s. Rayman confirmed for SSB6/7).

P.S. one of my Starly is shiny and it is actually incredible the depths I am delving to find even a single scrap of "fuck" to give. I no longer care? It's not like it's even usable anyway? 31/31/31/31/x/31 with reckless and Double Edge, but (+Sp.Def -Atk)??
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:32 am

If you're really that apathetic about it, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands. And supposedly today's when that big Pokémon announcement is happening. For some reason, I've seen people who think it's going to be Z, even though ORAS hasn't even been released yet.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:40 am

i bet that big announcements gonna be something like oh by the way oras is the last pokemon games we are going to create sorry about that bye thanks for all the money
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 am

I could see them announcing a spinoff game or a new non-game adaptation, be it an anime special a la Origins or a new manga or something. The timing just isn't right for a new main series game.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:14 am

Yeah that's more or less what I'm expecting, sans spin off because nobody really cares much. Something like that reBurst manga or Origins. Or something left-field like when we were told iTunes were getting the game soundtracks. Alternatively, it'll be something dissapointingly region specific, e.g permanent store opening it Paris or a week of massive downloads for Japan.

But things I would like that don't seem totally unfeasible?

Bank updates
Smartphone app support
Pokken fighters being really cool
A good home console game (not necessarily a main-series, we all know why that won't happen, but SOMETHING, even Snap U)
XY being patched to support ORAS
ORAS supporting amibo really well and the first wave of the Pokemon range
FRLG for eshop with a patch to connect to Pokemon Link
Next range of Pokemon Cards comes with ereader functionality and AR (yeah right lol)

Alternatively, ORAS new information splurge.
And I would give away the Starly only I can't give up the tiny hope that one day GF will introduce a minigame that changes a Pokemon's nature :0

Edit: dammit. +1 for Pokken fighters being cool but -1 for it being region specific; GF nobody outside Japan plays Pokemon arcade games!! I'm hoping there's some misinformation here??
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:50 am

I don't think we'll ever see a Nature-changing mechanism in the games for the same reason that we're probably never going to see a gender-changing mechanism; it just doesn't make sense. Granted, I would have counted Abilities among that group too, but we did get the Ability Capsule, so I could be wrong.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next