Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die

+11
Sandstriker
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
variegatedDreamraptor
NinteNerd
d_what
willPowered
invisibleTerrarium
Gelatino
Dregadude
DicksMcgee
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Empty Re: General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die

Post by NinteNerd Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:40 pm

ehehe. well, she's certainly had enough practice drawing claws...
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Empty Re: General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die

Post by d_what Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Yeah line weight is interesting because it's one of these stylistic things that stem directly from real life. The human brain registers shape before ANYTHING else (consider a black human silhouette as opposes to a human-coloures blob, the silhouette is automatically filed into the brain, the blob has to be considered) and lines are an artist's way to represent that. And then all these little rules come into play. E.g. if a line recedes into a surface it thins to the point of disappearing. Edges with nothing behind them get thick lines. Things up front get thick lines. Uniform surfaces get the same line weight (accointing for persepctive) on a single edge. That kind of thing. It's really very logical.

But it's most noticeable in more stylistic art where the line is a separate part of the piece, such as comic books or above.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Sat May 10, 2014 2:32 pm

NinteNerd wrote:...drega we have a pokeart thread >:Y

January 10th? Look how old this thread is! I'm practically necro-ing it right now! That is, if that was a thing we cared about, which it isn't.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Sun May 11, 2014 3:21 pm

ok well imma double-necro it.
when i got my new tablet, i did a whole mess of quickie poke-sketches by request.
totodile here at my own, of course.
General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 1F8R9sG
and most of the rest here:
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Thu May 22, 2014 3:32 am

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 The_striker_by_shadowyoshigamernerd-d7j9zw1
General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_n419dgu5bF1rz7qok
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Drega, it is actually an insult to my intelligence that that does not have more shares/likes/upvotes/pins/hashtags/plusses/whatever it is tumblr has than uses/etc than it does currently. I would nearly make an account myself purely to rectify the situation. Nearly.

Well done to you both :0
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:09 pm

hello again
have s'more pokearts

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Tumblr_n973e4VpVO1t5flrio1_1280
all these palette challenges man:
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm

The pictures aren't loading for me (I'm on my phone right now) but it's nice to see you again Very Happy
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:33 am

Interesting colour choices, certainly; they look fun to use. I may borrow them briefly in the future! Minor suggestion though (dunno if the palettes were given to you or if someone else made them; whichever applies) in the first one the colours are pretty saturated and similar in value, particularly the pale blue; lightening it and decreasing the saturation would probably give better contrast and when working with a limited palette you really want contrast. Similarly, in the last one; the colours work really well together but the values are still pretty similar. They're CRYING out for some sort of warm light source-y colour, I think? Maybe a light yellow or something? The orange and purple is properly delicious but it's definitely asking for some lighting. It'd work well under an ambient-lighting background though; like the edge of a campfire at midnight.

^^^^Not a critique!! Well, not of your drawing abilities anyway. That goes without saying; you're really good. And Our Lord and Saviour is perfect. Just some palette considerations! Kontrast is King mspa
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:26 pm

ah, the first one was spark's bday gift, which i just ended up using 'zard's main three colors on because i'm lazy
all the ones under the spoiler were part of a palettes challenge thing on tumblr...:
that being said, i'm awful at colors anyway, but i do definitely recognize i could have handled combusken's better.
also please do critique i need it so badly.

in similar news, here is my favorite one of those i did, but it's not poke-related <:u
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Ahhh yes see there you go! The paler yellow gives the right amount of contrast and it works really well; though a *minor* darkening of the green would probably work better still. I've heard via the tumblrs that some of the palettes floating around are done by people who don't know what they're doing; saw someone use a few and the results were shitty because of a lack of contrast. I don't remember which ones these were but 2, 4, 7 and 14 from the first look pretty shifty (2 because the most saturated colour is a midtone. Wat. When does that happen. Either lightsource or shadows, people!) 5, 6, 10, 11 and 15 from the second look similar, though I'll concede I may be wrong. The last one on the second has no cohesion at all >:O You'd have to blend them to get anything worthwhile I think.

did a minor sketch using the airbrush tool and luminescence to get my point across - the result is shoddy, but if you unfocus your eyes I think you can see what I mean, and if you can't, the greyscale representation of both gives a better example of the kind of contrast you want. 

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Yellow10
p.s painting over someone else's colour doodle is both a) vaguely discomforting, b) potentially rude, c) weirdly therapeutic and d) a decent learning technique. You should try it sometime! (secretly of course)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:38 am

look at this ugly overrated piece of crap test tube baby i did for my friend's birthday:
General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Vwaadoo_vwaadoo_by_shadowyoshigamernerd-d807y9c
i'm actually mostly pretty happy with it.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:26 am

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Dbb_by_dunnyct-d9wiajn
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm

d that's not loading for me :0
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:37 pm

first one worked. i like it!!! as that commenter put, "epic." the texturing on the smoke in the light kinda looks metallic, is that intentional??
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 pm

General Pokemon Art Thread: Where free time goes to die - Page 3 Pu_checks_compendium_by_dunnyct-d9wu75m

blaargh it keeps hapening
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3