Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

+16
Spark Eletran
tailoredGoose
Xaber
tinning3
Gelatino
Hanky Panky
muffinz
phantasmalDexterity
d_what
kotakun
cephalopodAscendant
OverlordJ
Hytheter
variegatedDreamraptor
invisibleTerrarium
NinteNerd
20 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 40 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by invisibleTerrarium Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:53 pm

I've gotten Prince of Breath from every test I've taken, no lie.

NN, please do not strangle yourself with that snake. That would be bad.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 40 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 am

I AM the Mage of Void
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:49 am

i'll take knight of mind

let's start our own session

as long as i get land of sand and surf. i fucking called it, you lunatics.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 am

Hmm, what would I be?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 am

I'd say Life, because then we'd have parallels with the Peixes family what with the whole sea creature thing. Maybe Mage, that'd be fun.

As for me I've been thinking of Heart or Mind, but since Mind would suit Gela to a T, that leaves me with Heart. Heir or Seer, probably.

A while back on the Skype chat Cap and I thought of doing a joint forumventure of some kind, with artist/writer pairs like nelly/spark, cap/me, nn/takumi, gela/cc etc. Maybe this PQ SBURB session could be that.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:48 am

I don't know about class, but I'm like 95% sure I'm a Light player. I fit the personality traits that seem to be associated with it to a T, right down to Aranea's love of explaining things in great detail. For instance, I'd love to become a video Let's Player some day, but I think I'd be bad at LPs of Pokèmon games because I'd ramble on for way too long about all the specific aspects of whatever species I feel like talking about. It'd end up being like the bios Chuggaaconroy does in his Pokèmon Let's Plays except way more long-winded and less helpful and walkthrough-y.
I can easily see myself doing something like, "Oh hey, it's a Zubat((just picking this as an example)). They're pretty useful, I guess, although not yet at this level, 'cause they don't have any good moves yet. I mean, not really until Wing Attack, and that's pretty cool I guess, but that's a buncha levels away. Their stats also are pretty terrible right now, although Golbat's alright for a non-fully evolved pokèmon. Golbat looks really funny with its big 'ol mouth taking up 80% of its body. Anyone remember that gigantic tongue it had in Red/Blue and the earlier 3D games? I miss that tongue, it was silly and memorable. Even without it I like Golbat's design more than Crobat's I think. Crobat's face looks silly and it suddenly having six limbs for no reason is a little wierd, even though I guess Machamp does that same thing. Hey, did you know all Crobat's teeth are on its bottom jaw? It's got a gigantic underbite that just makes it look really stupid when it opens its mouth. Here, I'll put a picture of it on-screen now." and so on. I could easily talk for five minutes straight about one single evolution line, and it'd get really boring for the viewers and detract from the Let's Play! I've been trying to get better at being concise lately, but I'm not very good at it. I'm always so concerned about making sure everyone fully understands what I'm talking about that I keep talking and talking, often ending up restating my points over and over just to make sure that the (hypothetical or otherwise) listener totally knows exactly what I'm trying to tell them.

See, I did it again there! I went on a long-winded tangent about how I tend to go on long-winded tangents! I could have just left it at " [...] explaining things in great detail.", but I kept talking and talking because i really want you to understand exactly the point im trying to get across you guysss. Normally when I catch myself going on and on like that I'll edit it out before posting, but I guess I'll leave this particular one in since it only further illustrates my lighty-ness.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:36 am

Sorry Hanky, looks like our sessions are mutually exclusive. I've been Knight of Mind for YONKS. I think it's my MSPAforums tag? Unless I changed it. I get it on all the tests I do :3 Initially I thought I'd be a light player of some sort but after the tests "picked" it I really got into it. It's got the suitability - I'm definitely a mind player - and the challenge - an active (probably) class??? Impossible! One that uses his aspect in combat?????? NEVER!! :0 I'm too passive.

And anyway my session's been planned out for a while. The idea behind the world itself is we're still in THIS universe, a few years ahead, and Andrew Hussie has ridden the success of the Homestuck Adventure game to fund an actual Sburb, prefacing it with all sorts of crazy technologies, notably Moduses which become available for purchase on What Pumpkin a few months before. Meteors start hitting and the world (in certain locations) begin to riot, not before the Huss disappears completely. After I get most of my friends to read the comic, we assemble a team (externally hiring a space and time player from outside our group) and enter. And after that things go plotways and it's not fully fleshed out so I won't mention it. But most of the lands are done and sketched, and the general flow of the plot, and the antagonists, (time shenanigans are involved) and the entry order, and the titles to within a class or so.

I've got the Land of Peaks and Pillars, and the next land is Land of Craft and Crayons! Somewhere along the line is the Land of Mica and Stratosphere, and the Land of Foam and Frogs, which isn't actually a planet, it's a stream of asteroids, since it got demolished by one of our rogue meteors* on entry. But that player's a Thief of Space so it's not really much of a problem all things considered.

*this is a thing we'll have
*stupid lousy time and space players not following my orders
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 am

I don't remember, am I part of this?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 pm

(the commonly-accepted thing for knight isnt using in combat cause thats kinda silly)
(its exploiting it in various ways to get to his objectives)
(kinda like dave exploited time travel to get frog breeding done faster)
(or karkat exploited his bonds with his everybody to calm them the fuck down and become a successful leader kinda)
(even aradia flat-out says the knight exploits during the comic)
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:24 pm

(Knights are inherently expected to be warriors, though.)
(not necessarily blood-craving or battle-scarred, think paladins, but fighters all the same. They can have good or bad motives but they can't shirk it.)
(Jade makes it clear - as does a lot of Dave's plot - that part of his role is to fight LE, whether he chooses to or not is irrelevant since we already know he rejects his time powers.)
(Karkat meanwhile is a total bantam fighter, even moreso than other trolls. Can't really comment on Latula, though I doubt she shirks things because they're physical. That girl can SK8.)
(And ultimately, Sburb IS an RPG. It needs clerics and magic users and fighters and berserkers as much as the next class. Sure, you can talk about how Heirs inspire or whatever, and how knights might be protectors. But on a practical and superficial level, Knights Fight. The definition of fight is flexible, of course.)
(And ACTUALLY Aradia said "powerful warrior class which exploits the flow of time as a weapon")
(The keywords there not being "exploits", which is a weak word, but "warrior" and "weapon" which are much more tangible and harder to replace. )
(And exploit is such a broad, vague word that it could be used to aptly describe any sburb class, admittedly vaguely.)
(It's right there in the comic.)
(See?)
( ^)
( |)
(brackets!)

Part of what, OrangeJuice? :0
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:11 pm

If by "exploit" you mean "abuse the hell out of", I suspect I would qualify for whatever class it applied to. And d_what, it bugs the hell out of me to see you refer to parentheses as brackets. Brackets are the square ones.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Really? We call those square brackets. You know, brackets that are square.

But then we also sometimes call "</>" square brackets. It is not clever.
Honestly I agree. Parenthesis exists, why not use it, the orginal brackets would have been cornered, therefore [] has the right to use the term, but... since I was 6 everyone's called them brackets so it's hard to stop :[ And you could argue that "brackets" with a rider applies to both of them, the rider being round/square, in which case due to the context I was using them in, the semantics remained perfectly legitimate.

For some reason when you mentioned abusing the hell out of your class I immediately imagined you were, like, the Prince of Lemons or the Mage of Juice, or something, and you were ferociously abusing your powers to fill the fridge. I do not know why.

d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure where you got the lemons or juice from, either.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:39 pm

I call them "Klammern"

I always forget what their english name is...

Anyways, it seems my headcanon about Knights is a rather uncommon one, that is, they are the passive "protect" class, as in, they use their aspect to protect others.

My classes headcanon:
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:15 pm

I forget. By HS definition, does passive mean "others" and active mean "me"? But then there's also the legitimate sense of the terms, passive meaning... somebody does something passively, and vice versa. I like to think those apply too. In which case I've always felt Knights are active; actively protecting/fighting/helping/serving a cause. John's windy powers, at least in terms of protection, have always been pretty passive. They just *hapen*. Likewise Equius's powers seem far more passive than Roxy's, and Roxy is ALREADY passive.

To be honest though I think the main strength of the classes and aspects come from the fact they're hyperflexible and plot-based. Doesn't matter what they actually do as long as it makes sense in the plot. I would even hazard that Andrew hasn't even fleshed out the definitions of most of the classes yet and will retroactively define it based on something one of the fans suggest, in turn based on something a character has done in the comic. And who's to say a class can't have several, random-priority definitions at once? A knight can deal in combat, sure, but I see no reason why they can't also play a support or a defensive role on a team, taking on the mantle of offense to protect their teammates. I bet on the Passive/Active scale Heirs and Knights are pretty close to the centerpoint with a large margin for deviation.

And I've always figured that (in terms of linguistic definition!) Maids are Active. They actively "clean up" loose events tied to their aspect. That's an actual canon fact; Aradia says that's her role, i.e tidying up loose timelines, and the Maid of Life's job is to clean up excess death that prohibits the plot or becomes pr9blematic.

If I ABSOLUTELY had to guess, I'd say Page was Active, both serving yourself and actively improving your skills. A page can't improve unless they apply themselves (or have someone apply themselves by proxy, like Aranea did to Jake. Which in my mind is cheating). And their powers manifest themselves in that person, not externally, hence Active. Also it's a classic RPG scale as Tavros mentioned! Huge difficulty level with slow EXP gains but MASSIVE end payoff! I bet all the roles have some form of that; e.g Knights and Heirs scale linearly or something, or a Prince gains rapidly at the beginning and plateaus later. (for example's sake.)

Any idea who you'd be with on a real life sburbventure, OJ?

Last edited by d_what on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:21 pm

(first of all everything i say in this post is simply my opinion not fact but im tired of using opinionish expressions every 5 words so fuck that)
in more rpg-ish terms knight would be the one that starts off strong (is able to do stuff well with their aspect already, seen by dave being easily the first kid to demonstrate his powers in more literal ways)... and then stays about that strong for the rest of the game. (dave didnt really learn many new tricks lately now did he, also fitting with his entire "falling behind" thing)
they use their aspect to the best of it, even when they dont have much. they improvise the shit outta it, basically using it for everything and to every single last drop. seriously dave is the best example right now he did fucking everything in his planet and just about the entirety of his role in the session involved time traveling
a simple way to describe the knight would be "improvises with whatever much of the aspect he has at the moment to do stuff", i guess?
i mostly go by byb's theories if you couldnt notice
which would mean page is passive

-------

https://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=86
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40