Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

+19
Captain
Sandstriker
Sharpedo
muffinz
Xaber
OverlordJ
invisibleTerrarium
Spark Eletran
d_what
cephalopodAscendant
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
phantasmalDexterity
NinteNerd
tinning3
ilikeoctopus
kotakun
variegatedDreamraptor
Gelatino
23 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 17 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by tinning3 Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 pm

I come from NI, and I don't really mind whether I stay NI or reunite with the south (well except for the south being part of the Eurozone, which is something I have no faith in, but that's not anything to do with the south itself), the problem comes that either way, reunification or things staying the same, different people will be mad.

Still, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. The main aggressors nowadays you mostly hear about are just those looking to stir up trouble for the sake of things. I'm actually pretty happy about the state of things in Ireland, provided you use your head and don't go saying things tot he wrong people.

also i Do grammar the good's,
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 17 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Gelatino Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:28 pm

i was on pokemon showdown and i was trying to teach this guy differential calculus and he had the gall to say "yawn i don't care about ur math"

seriously i find it hard to believe that people don't find math interesting. i think a lot of it has to do with closed-mindedness and general laziness for not wanting to take challenges or try new things.
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

https://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Okay. I'm gonna need some context.

I mean I find entropy and p(whatever) hella interesting buy I don't just launch into a big maths spiel?

Hey cap'n: is history over there taught in an external way, or an internal, in terms of viewpoint? Do you cover the American revolution, India, Australia, Scotland etc or just the monarchy at home, the industrial revolution and the World Wars? Mostly I'm looking for bias. I read a history blog for a U.K education thingy last week and it was appallingly biased about the Irish famine. You know. "Aww yeah, it was bad. Very bad. Lots of death. Shame it happened. No potatoes. Then some bad irish guys got unjustly mad for some weird crazy evil reason and started committing horrendous murderous atrocities over here and were justly punished". That kind of bullshit. I'm obviously paraphrasing; the actual thing was much more insidious, but that was the underlying moral. I'd rather hope that a country as ancient and 'modern' as the UK would be able to accept its (recent) history and move on rather than just pretend it never happened. I may be naive.
Fact of the day: neither India nor Ireland have celebrated their Independence Centenary yet? Because it hasn't been a century yet.
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:55 pm

d_what wrote:Okay. I'm gonna need some context.

I mean I find entropy and p(whatever) hella interesting buy I don't just launch into a big maths spiel?
maths are cool

it's a way to explain how the world works at its most basic level, to understand abstract concepts and model phenomena that the human mind could never possibly understand. math goes beyond just knowing all the rules and arithmetic and functions. it's about knowing why these things exist and how they work.

i think people have a bias towards math. they see complicated concepts and say to themselves that they could never do something like that, that their brain doesn't work like that. they're wrong. the entire point of math is that it explains things in a way that anybody can understand, because it was borne from the human mind for the use of the human mind.

it's the bane of people who don't ever want to face challenges, and the greatest thing for those who do. it separates the weak from the strong. when i hear someone talk about how they dislike math, all i can think about it how closed-minded they must be, and how great they could be if they solve all their mental problems standing in the way of understanding and excellence.

math is for everybody, except those who blindly denounce it.
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:27 pm

Captain wrote:Thing is OJ, I like people to be able to see my nicknames because they're incredibly wittty and well thought out and I like to show my names off a little, so IDK if personally I agree with that...
Dude, I don't say hide ALL nicknames. I say that instead of being unable to name your mons with a name that triggers the censor, names that trigger the censor just aren't shown if you are batteling against another player.

Tell me, would you rather be completly unable to name your mon your incredibly witty name just because it contains a curse word in some other language or just have other player be unable to see it?

Also, math's great
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Alternatively:

People hate math because there entire experience of math has been a mind boggling stress-take with no actual explanation of use or a difficulty level appropriate to their aptitude.

Over here people hate Irish and Math as standard and it's because most people can't teach either Irish or Math. I got lucky because Pokémon egg-hatching fueled my love of probability, but if not all of my guys would have been boring, compicated and stressful.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm

That makes much more sense OJ. I agree with that sentiment entirely.

D_What, idk, didn't study history much. Primary school we learn all the ancient civilisation stuff like Roman, Egyptians, Greeks etc. Think we do Vikings as well. Then secondary school one year is definitely WW1 and WW2, and then I think the others have industrialisation. Like I said I can't remember, I never really loved history.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Captain wrote:That makes much more sense OJ. I agree with that sentiment entirely.
Very Happy 
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:04 pm

I like math, it's comfy and easy to wear

I have no problem with it, but I can see where the hate comes from. A lot of it doesn't make an ounce of sense unless you spend literally years absorbing a base of knowledge, but once you have that knowledge, you can do some pretty fucking incredible things.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:25 pm

maybe it's just that math is being taught wrong

god knows the education system isn't perfect and there's no way to convince everybody that every area of study is awesome, even though they are

seriously, there's no subject in school that i don't enjoy doing, except for the work involved with doing it. i love learning about history but i just can't take the work load, so i had to drop it. on the other hand, i like doing math work so i don't mind getting a lot of homework. it's like solving puzzles. once you get into it, it has the same basic mental experience as playing your favorite flash game for hours on end.

maybe the reason other people don't like math as much as me is because they just can't enjoy doing the work, the same way i have trouble enjoying history homework. my only concerns are when people can't enjoy the work and therefore conclude that they don't like the subject, which is illogical and irritating.
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tailoredGoose Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:05 pm

im alive
tailoredGoose
tailoredGoose
Cooltrainer

http://Malevolentespurr.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Hey Goosemissle! Where've you been?
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:28 pm

Whoah what misc returns

For the record i hate hate hate algebra, but i love love love geometry.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Hiya MathelBlast! How're ya keepin'?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:52 pm

invisibleTerrarium wrote:Whoah what misc returns

but geometry is basically just applied algebra

in fact, it is just applied algebra

how do you draw such a distinction between them
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Misc, if you're alive, how come you're a ghost??
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Woop! Misc has returned!

Very Happy

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 17 1363882972556
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Gelatino wrote:
invisibleTerrarium wrote:Whoah what misc returns

but geometry is basically just applied algebra

in fact, it is just applied algebra

how do you draw such a distinction between them
I like shapes and visual stuff and angles, that all just makes sense to me
I hate equations and memorization and shit
Although it might just be that my geometry teacher is way better than my algebra teacher, or that im a visual learner
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:22 pm

See, I was never really that fond of geometry, but I like algebra just fine. Mostly I just don't like drawing diagrams or graphs that much. Side note: I'm taking Differential Equations next semester. Because I can. Also because it satisfies a cluster requirement.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:28 pm

i'll have to do differential equations someday

right now in calc bc i'm doing taylor and maclaurin polynomials. pretty interesting stuff. it's one of those things that's just a really basic principle applied to something complex to make it easier. when you try to make a polynomial function look like a different function, it gets more similar the more complicated it gets, getting closer and closer to the function you're trying to model but never quite reaching it.
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:09 pm

i like math its just can someone get these fuckin lambdas away from me just stupid eigenwhatevers that are used for stuff we havent gotten to yet just get back to determinants and such
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:10 pm

you have a point

people shouldn't be all haughty about math, proud that they have a higher math education than other people and rubbing it in their faces by talking about it all the time. that's just a bit mean.

and yeah i realize that's basically what i'm doing, sorry

to be honest i forget what determinants are
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:13 pm

That's the thingy with matrices that you can use to calculate the cross-products of vectors, among other things. I forget what they're actually useful for regarding matrices, though.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 am

oh right, matrices

i haven't seen a matrix for a couple years. but eventually my physics class is gonna cover electromagnetic fields, which involves cross products, so i'll probably learn about that then.
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 am

if a determinant is zero the matrix isnt invertible so there is not a unique solution to a system of linear equations
also actually finding the inverse to solve the system requires determinants to find cofactors so thats what its used for
eigenvectors? fuck all thats what theyre used for
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next