Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nickname Suggestion Thread

+15
Sharpedo
Captain
muffinz
phantasmalDexterity
invisibleTerrarium
Spark Eletran
Hanky Panky
ilikeoctopus
NinteNerd
Dregadude
cephalopodAscendant
Sandstriker
Gelatino
tinning3
PunchesMalone
19 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

The Nickname Suggestion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Nickname Suggestion Thread

Post by d_what Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Don't like spongebob, and I watch it slightly more than that. My 6 year old cousin watches it whenever he's in front of a TV. I just can't say I like the humor. I want to sock him gently in the face, y'know?

I was the same with Scrubs. It niggled away at me for years in a faintly annoying way until one day I watched an episode that I was actually comfortable with and could safely say it was my favourite one. I realised later it didn't have either JD or Dr.Cox in it. That was why. They're just so, so... punchable >:[
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

The Nickname Suggestion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Nickname Suggestion Thread

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:13 pm

cephalopodAscendant wrote:Except the filter won't let you name it that. Literally everyone on the internet has already tried this.

...Yeah, why does it block that? Doesn't seem to be anything offensive in there...
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 pm

I think it thinks you're trying to sneak "boob" through. Why is Game Freak so bad at filters, anyways?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm

yeah, JD is kind of the worst character in Scrubs. Cox has some redeeming moments, but I still adhere wholeheartedly that JD and Elliot are both terrible people and totally deserve each other. And I guess it's cute in the end but really if they were irl people I might just avoid the both of them.

speaking of tv shows, parks and rec is my new favorite

and archer season 4 is on netflix
hooray

also i have like 2 weeks of community to catch up on. which is like 2 shows.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 pm

I need to get back into catching up on Archer. I'm not even sure where I left off.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cerebralconfinement Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Also on the topic of naming things after TV shows, I'm probably gonna end up catching a Riolu and naming it Edward.
cerebralconfinement
cerebralconfinement
Youngster

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 pm

*frantically imagines a shiny blood sucking Riolu*
D:
*remembers Twilight was a movie, not a TV show*
Very Happy
*imagines Twilight being a TV show*
D:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cerebralconfinement Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist, for clarification. Lucario's Fighting/Steel typing fits Edward Elric perfectly.
cerebralconfinement
cerebralconfinement
Youngster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:16 pm

you could have been right with edward the vampire if you had known The Munsters was a tv show long ago. Eddie Munster was the son and he was a bloodsucking undead. his father was frankenstein's monster (not the doctor himself), his grandfather was also a vampire (maternal; his mother was a vampire too), and little Eddie Munster's loyal, loving, pet and best friend.....

was a god damn dragon
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Except none of that applies to Riolu or Lucario.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:20 pm

I know. I was just pointing out the amusing coincidence that there was a vampire named edward on tv.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:57 pm

My friend Mike has a legit 5iv shiny Lucario named Alphonse. It took him two months to do it.

Coincidentally, that is also a FMA reference.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:43 pm

OverlordJ wrote:In case you are unaware, all three of those are the name of Siegfrieds sword, only from different sources.

Gram is the sword of Sigurd (Siegfried) in the nordic/germanic mythology, Wagner calls Siegfrieds sword Nothung and in the Nibelungenlied it's called Balmung (it also has a different backstory there, I believe)

I think I will indeed go with Nothung, thank you for helping me decide.

oh
MY GOSH
If your "Nothung" wins a battle and the person you beat says, like, "OJ you're such a fantastically talented trainer 'cause you beat me", you could respond with, "It was Nothung"! I CAN'T BELIEVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS PUN UNTIL LIKE THE THIRD TIME READING THIS POST

CAUSE I MEAN GET IT
IT'S LIKE SAYING "it was nothing" AS IN IT WASN'T DIFFICULT, BUT IT'S ALSO SAYING THAT YOUR SORD DID ALL THE WORK, "it was Nothung"
I am just
The WITTIEST PERSON
Clearly
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:08 am

Well, he probably won't be much use in a PvP match, since he isn't optimized at all. But heck, I still love my team, they are awesome. And I am happy you like Nothungs name.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 am

No I'm talkin' about like in-game and stuff like as a response to how everyone's always saying you're like the most SKILLED PERSON EVER just 'cause your 'mons beat up theirs :I
But I guess that wasn't really clear.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:51 am

OH! Hey yeah, that would be neat!
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:36 am

NECROPOST!

But really this thread needs more love because about half of the main thread this time around has been about nicknames, no joke. Gonna post aaaaall of mine here for future reference and because nobody was able to guess all of them.

Giveaway nicknames:
Keravnos/Francisca: Axew
Aku: Umbreon
Saline: Starmie
Andromeda: Gyarados
Sabra: Salamence

Regular nicknames:
Spoiler:

ORAS random egg runthrough nicknames:
Eddie: Spiritomb (after eddy currents, a type of circular flow)
Cash: Ampharos (mostly after Cashmere, a type of wool, but also because of a Johnny Cash impersonation)
Harley: Gogoat (after the bike, but also because Jade + Green.)

Traded-away mons:
Chiro: Heracross ("chi-rho" is a cross-like symbol used in early christian sites)
Calliste: Chandelure (I'd actually forgotten why so I'll copypaste what I told Rozewolf.)
Spoiler:
Shui-tu: Azumarill (means water rabbit! Inventive I know Surprised )

4th gen guys from memory whose names I haven't already mentioned and are long since lost:
Spoiler:

Future nicknames I intend on using if the Pokemon every comes up:
Samson: Mawile (biblical myth, lost his strength when his hair was cut)
Scoville: Emboar (unit of heat measurement in spiciness, Drega uses this! Very Happy)
Trismus: Tyrantrum ("lockjaw", painful condition)
Basil: Leafeon (I just found out this is PD's Leafeon's name! And it's thematically appropriate since starting gen 6 I decided all my Eeveelutions would be Herbs/spices!)
related:
Chamomile/Mint/Coriander/Pepper: Sylveon/Glaceon/Flareon/Jolteon

I think that's basically every important nickname I've ever used ever! Saving a few smaller ones I've forgotten but they weren't very good.

Last edited by d_what on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:17 pm

Oh man, I will definitely post all the nicknames I come up with once I finally start playing AS again, after I get bank back.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:03 am

Random internetting has led me to the conclusion that Lawrence/Oates would be a good (if a little sad) nickname for a Mega Glalie, assuming said Glalie was running its blow-up set.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Fri May 08, 2015 7:31 pm

I find it funny that I just checked this thread and saw your herbs-and-spices naming theme for your Eeveelutions the very day after starting a pseudo-Nuzlocke of XD (i.e. the game with the Eevee starter) with an herbs-and-spices naming theme. I mean I named my Flareon Cayenne and not Coriander but it's still a funny coincidence.

(I may post some of my nicknames from this run later once I actually own more than a couple 'mons.)
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri May 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Actually I would have used Cayenne over Coriander, only one of the artists I follow has a character named Cayenne and I didn't want to copy her! Otherwise it totally would have been Cayenne.

I can't really explain most of my spice choices.
Camomile makes retroactive sense. Camomile is healing and soothing, like Heal Bell Sylveon, but also its name derives from "earth" and my Sylveon runs hidden power ground. Score?

It took me a long time to come up with a spice to do with water. Watercress doesn't work and 'cress is iffy (and also used by the same Cayenne user). I chose Oregano after a few days of searching and have forgotten why, it may be arbitrary. But for the sake of nicknames, please pronounce it ohREG-a-no and not ohr-egg-GAN-o. The first rolls better.

Sage is a pun. On, like, Sages. Espeon. Psychics. Wise. Etc.
Mint is kinda blunt, but thematically appropriate I think. Cold/Glaceon etc.

I've forgotten why Coriander is Flareon, but it sounds kind of imperial. Like Alexander. Or Cory? (In da house)

Pepper, I can't put words on. Something about a fast electric type makes me think of pepper. Sneezing? The colour black? Peppery food? Assorted energetic fictional characters called Pepper? Idk.

I don't plan on breeding another Umbreon, but if I did, probably Anise, if its a girl. Aniseed tastes like liquorice, liquorice is black etc etc

Edit: training up a Mega Scizor, gonna call it Keiró. Greek for "to shear." Greece would be a cool Pokemon region... Only 7.8/10 etc etc
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Another vaguely necro/doublepost, I am all over these threads today.

I need help for a nickname! I had to train up a second Hippowdon (with Sand Force this time) for my con-team and couldn't think of a nickname. My previous one was Male and called Shamal, which is a type of desert wind.

Two other Desert Winds that I am considering are Sirocco and Calima. (There's a lot of cool Wind names, google them!) I'm not sure what to go for. Neither screams "choose me". If it helps, Hippowdon is a female, and at the moment I associate Sirocco largely with this. I'm open to other suggestions though.

E: Maybe http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wind/The-Chergui.htm Chergui/Sharqi? ehhhh

Edit2: Quarantine, meet my new Charizards: Burny No.1, Burny No.2, and Burny No.3. I literally do not care even a little tiny bit. Now where am I gonna find two Charizardite Xs :/

Edit3: Update for posterity.
Tlanowa - Skarmory, p.sure this was an obscure metal bird in a native american myth. Couldn't use Euryale because wrong gender.
Calima - Hippowdon (See above)
ADA - Porygon-2 (Ada Lovelace, daughter of Lord Byron, friends with Charles Babbage; instrumental in early computer history)
Sol Bemolle - Klefki (Italian for the key of G flat; not particularly interesting until you remember my other Klefki is the key of F sharp)
Sethlans - Heatran (Etruscan god of fire + metalwork)

And if I train a Metagross, gonna go Jacquard. Jacquard looms were also part of the development early computers, on the hardware side. Plus it sounds french and gen 6 is french gen.

Last edited by d_what on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 pm

I like Calima personally, and then I also like Cape Doctor, which is "dry south-easterly wind that blows on the South African coast in summer"
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 pm

As of gen 7, right this minute, my nicknames are as follows (since I have no idea how many things I've missed in the meantime)

Spoiler:

I'm eventually gonna breed a Cubone in ORAS, thinking of calling it Austin. It's a lame pun based on the root word osteo-. Also need names for Pelipper (thinking something from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner... E.g. Mariner) and Mantine (Sea-flap-flap?) eventually, but those are low priority because of a lack of Defog tutors. Terrakion's on my to-do list too, as is Magearna.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7