General Chat: Yeah, no. I'm still your benevolent neighborhood deity.

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Chat: Yeah, no. I'm still your benevolent neighborhood deity.

Post by Spark Eletran on Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:45 pm

so uh
bit of sad news today
some of you mighta heard it already

just. here you go

i'll. leave you with that link
and. just... kind of...

rest in peace, he was an amazing and kind man and an incredible programmer

his impact on nintendo and on modern gaming will stay forever

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
~gdc 2005
Spark Eletran
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant on Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:49 pm

So many big deaths for nerd culture this past year. Terry Pratchett, Leonard Nimoy, Monty Oum, Christopher Lee, and now Iwata. It's truly a great loss for the world.
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:56 am

That man had such a big impact on how I see modern gaming and my perception of gaming culture as a whole. Pokémon and Earthbound, games he personally had an enormous hand in, had a huge effect on my childhood and my taste in games today. Thanks for everything, Iwata-san, hope you get directly to wherever you're going.
i drew a thing:

invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:53 am

dude was a serious legend. he programmed the original kirby, working along with designer sakurai. he rewrote all of earthbounds programming to make it even POSSIBLE to be released on snes, he compressed the fully-filled gs cartridge enough to fit the entire kanto in the games and thus creating the classic we know, he had a hand in all the various smash iterations and without him pushing sakurai to create some sort of smash game for the wii, be it a melee-with-online remake done without his involvement or any new content, or a completely new game by the man himself, we would never have gotten brawl and probably wouldn't have smash 4 either

him and genyo takeda were two of the big driving forces for the post-gamecube of nintendo and they created the wii and ds era with nintendo's focus on pure fun and accessibility instead of graphics and powerful hardware

he'd had various health problems in recent times and been unable to frequent past e3s and honestly, with these news, i wouldn't doubt if that'd been partially what'd caused the known not-so-great streak he'd had lately. even then, he continued to be a great man with a perfectly informal but polite attitude in directs, constant fan interaction and clear value and respect for the company in itself, down to the point of the well-known move of cutting his own pay to make up for the wii u's sales and not cutting any other employee's

it's a shame that he's left the world with his apology for the disappointment of fans with the latest e3 as his last heard of maneuver. even then, it's nice to known he's also left with the success of a new ip, a new franchise by a team of small-name directors, with barely any touches from the higher-ups such as miyamoto or tezuka. it's a sign that nintendo's still in good hands on its game design front - even with many of the older pioneers of gaming still around, there's a new generation awaiting and working togther with them, with nintendo.

for the curious, miyamoto and genyo takeda will be handling nintendo's top position together until an official replacement is appointed ceo-wise. it's unknown what will they do for the president, since it's been always completely hand-picked by their predecessor. may he rest in peace, and thanks, iwata.
Spark Eletran
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:11 am

Gosh. That's really sad. He was pretty cool and left great contributions to the world of gaming. And the bananas were always funny :/ I'll miss his asks! And only 55, too. So young!

Uhhh, tangentially related personal news, not to detract from Mr.Iwata's passing (RIP): I won my local con again in the Pokemon 6v6 tournament and won my first Amiibo. It's a Yoshi and I called him Yo-Dizzle. Yay?

Edit: hurray I finished!

Democratically elected ruler of everything

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:02 am

Got quiet around here, no? Perfect time for some out of left field Pokemon news. What do y'all make of the new Pokemon in the movie intro?
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:47 am

oh good maybe we will get a pokemon movie with the eon duo that isnt the saddest movie in the history of forever
kotakun
Gentleman

View user profile http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 am

Yeah... I have no idea.

The mystery Pokémon from Corocoro seems pretty clearly a new Zygarde form to me, as expected. The greenish tint as well as the hexagons and back decorations make it clear.

But... The actual new Pokémon.... What type is it even?? I have no idea. Is it a mid-gen Pokémon, or is it an EXTREMELY early gen 7...? I don't even know, man.
Spark Eletran
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 pm

YES

SORRY, JUST EXCITED
NA AND EUROPE HAVE *FINALLY* GOT AN INTERNET EVENT!!!! Gaaah it's been such a long time >:O Really annoyed about it actually. Japan gets them practically weekly, and there's loads of things that people just can't access. It is unfair and it is pointless.

I mean, okay, I already have a Diancie, but I never use it because it's a special attacker so it can't make good use of Diamond Storm. Whereas now I can SR my own! (Not that that has worked out on any already available legendary besides Latias...)

Anyway, the Zygarde thing is what it is. Not much to say about it yet, except I hope the fantheory that its ability causes localised inverse battles is true, because that would be so fun. And not at all broken compared to, say, Delta Stream. As for the other thing... it looks kind of incomplete. Maybe it's only part of a pokemon? A hivemind type dealy?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Hey Sparkler, I ended up stumbling onto your Tumbler blog-type thing and reading through a lot of it due to reasons, and you mayyyy have inadvertently convinced me to begin binge-watching my way through a really cool television show I didn't previously know about???

Which one? I'll give you a hint:

We
muffinz
Gentleman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:51 pm

weird loners? a near universally panned tv show cancelled earlier this year after its first season due to horrible ratings? wow i didnt know that anyone liked that at all
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaber on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:47 pm

huh i didn't know spark liked we bare bears

edit: actually upon further thought muffin probably just misspelt WWE
Xaber
Ranger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:55 am

We bare bears was actually pretty entertaining.

That said, ARE THE CRYSTAL GEMS
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:12 am

Oh my goodness, the forum had logged me out and I was wondering why there were no new posts, let me catch up on what I missed

EDIT:

1) D, what happened do you have the job now?

2) Wait, new pokemons?

3)
We:
are Malachite now
OverlordJ
Expert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:19 am

YESSSS MUFFIN
STEVEN UNIVERSE IS THE SHIT

besides my options even w/o that hint were literally it or gravity falls so 50% chance

Keep me posted on your reactions and thoughts because I LOVE seeing those c8 specially to the... many twists the show has

in case ur wondering, ms purple puma is my favorite crystal gem, while the green dorito is my favorite character in general

tho then again how can you NOT love the green dorito

also, @jay: yea 's on my last post on this thread. first one is preeeetty clearly a new zygarde form especially considering it had flashing hexagons on its body when it showed up apparently but blobbers there is just. ??? what type even are you wtf

(also on another note what made u watch SU muffinz from my blog 'm curious)
Spark Eletran
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:52 am

Spark Eletran wrote:in case ur wondering, ms purple puma is my favorite crystal gem, while the green dorito is my favorite character in general

green dorito:
kotakun
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:00 pm

OverlordJ wrote:
1) D, what happened do you have the job now?

OH SHIT I forgot to finish the story!

tl;dr recap:

I'd applied for a bunch (maybe a dozen) different IT jobs over a few weeks, most of which were in Dublin. Dublin's okay, but it's experiencing a major property bubble and rent is fucking ridiculous. Unfortunately, it's also the economic center of the country and 85% of jobs are there. I only found one job in my area that was worth applying to, they seemed pretty cool, and not only were they local but they were *inside my university campus*. I'd be like Van Wilder, only with a well paid job and without Ryan Renold's awesome abs. Hella convinient, yo, plus a huge saving on rent and on transport.

So! I start with a phone interview with a HR rep from the states. It goes well, the job looks fun and she takes to me and my skillset. One point of issue that we covered was that 30k was my likely starting salary, and not 35, which is what I started negotiating for - 35 would be more acceptable for Dublin or if I had 3 years experience, but 30 was fine with me if I was staying local. 35k is actually the average wage IN THE COUNTRY here, which goes to show how strong the IT market is. 30k is also 2k more than my friends in Dell are getting, so really 30k is acceptable. We schedule a Real-Life interview for later in the week.

Interview day! Interview is in the company at 9:00am. It goes well, I answer the tech questions with aplomb, joke around with the interviewers, ask some important questions and really grow to like the company. I could definitely see myself working here! They say they'll want a decision made quickly, so I'll probably hear from them in four, five days; after the weekend. That's fine.

Anyway, later that SAME DAY, at about 4:00, I get a call from their american HR office. The lady on the other end asks me how I felt about the interview and talked at length about their offer process. At this point, I'm not actually sure if she's actually offered me the job - she's talking about putting together a contract, and how it is sent out, but not really about where I fit into all of this? It doesn't pay to be presumptive, you know? So she finishes up saying that they'll get in touch probably within 48 hours, tomorrow evening maybe. Uhh, great? I leave the phone call happy but sort of confused and surprised. It seems like I have the job, only sans the actual phrase "you have the job" or "here is the contract".

FINISHING PART OF THE STORY

Anyway, later that SAME DAY, at about 8:00, (yes, same day as the interview) I get ANOTHER call. It's the same lady, and she has a real bounce in her voice this time! She says that they loved me in the interview, and really liked how I handled myself, I had great experience and a good resume, they liked me from my phone interview, and basically both offices felt I'd be a fantastic fit for the team. They'd want to make a decision quickly, so the offer would be sent soon, and also they don't really do this whole back-and-forth negotiating thing that other companies do, so it'd be one offer...

at this point, my head is spinning. The FIRST call was unexpected, let alone a SECOND one. And apparently they wanted me to say yes then and there?? I liked the company a lot, but whoa that's a lot of pressure. Also this no negotiation thing sounds sketchy, what will I do if they low ball me...

...then she starts talking about their stock options, and their yearly bonuses, and how the stocks work, and then says "and I know we metioned before that 30k would be most likely, outside of dublin, but you're a good fit, and if you choose to join us, we think that Thirty Seven Thousand a year would be an appropriate annual wage for you, so do you think perhaps that you would like to accept...??"

OUT OF FREAKING NOWHERE!! She said it with this really gentle kind of nervous voice, as if she expected me to say HELL NO BITCH WHERE U GOIN WITH MY CASH I WANT A MILLON OR I WALK OUT THIS CONVERSATION R/N

So I paused, immediately decided that there was no way in a million years I was gonna turn this down, and told her that before I make any rash decisions I'd really like to see the contract but yes I would be very happy to accept. So she sent the contract a few days later and I start work on the 17th! Very Happy It actually amounts to 40k a year with the bonus (assuming I get it) and given that I'd get 35 at best in Dublin paying ABSURD rent and transport and would have accepted 30 easily it really is crazy savings. The only thing I traded on was the lack of a focus on Java.

EPILOGUE

'Course, for all you youngins out there, given the opportunity the job that pays the best is not necessarily the best job. Experience is worth more! But in my case the experience and the company were genuinely good and anyway that pay is absurd and I got greedy so yeah. mspa Also, learn a programming language. Do it right now. Google Python and do some Tutorials! I wish somebody had told me to do that when I was in school. I only started programming after I'd picked my college degree :/

Also I'm aware that in several cultures and subcultures talking about your wages is considered rude, for... some reason! I can understand why, since in a room of 5 people you don't want to be made to say that you're the only one getting way less/way more than everybody else, it causes differences. But as a college grad when all of my other friends are also inexperience college grads I feel for now it makes sense that we share info and help each other get a better idea of what we can expect. Plus all of you guys are in different countries and doing different things at different ages, so it'd be like comparing apples and screwdrivers. Like, cA is or was in IBM, and he could be making a salary that is way above or significantly below mine, but what does that even mean? The difference could be the standard of living, taxes, the company involved, the local economy, the fields we're working in, so many other variables. It really doesn't mean much.
But seriously. Learn a programming language guys. ESPECIALLY U YUNGINS, I WANNA SEE SPARK AND iT HAVE A WORKING STRING PARSER BY THE END OF THE WEEK!
[assigning homework intensifies]

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:04 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/laboratoriopokemon/permalink/1148499585176850/

contains a video of the new green Pokemon. Those sketches people had... were actually 100% accurate? Wow. I always thought it looked kind of incomplete!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Did someone order a "lengthily gushing about a television show"? I think someone did.
Spark Eletran wrote:YESSSS MUFFIN
STEVEN UNIVERSE IS THE SHIT

besides my options even w/o that hint were literally it or gravity falls so 50% chance

Keep me posted on your reactions and thoughts because I LOVE seeing those c8 specially to the... many twists the show ha

OH YES IT TOTALLY IS. Like there are times where I'll go like "that joke was kind of dumb", but oh my god, the writing and characterization are just so GOOD. This is the first time since Homestuck that I've fallen in love with new characters this hard.
Early on, I found myself desiring a more connected, ongoing plot, but towards the end of season 1 they really delivered on that. I gotta say, I was practically blown away with the reveal of Lapis Lazuli, because before it seemed like there wasn't gonna be any more new gem characters, then suddenly PLOT and a new gem with a super cool design and abilities! Like she isn't one of my favorite characters, but her debut was a really great moment.
The last episode I've watched so far was Jailbreak, and that was crazy as heck. I already knew about Ruby and Sapphire thanks to spoilers and such, but the whole second half of the episode from the moment Garnet began singing was amazing. The song itself was amazing, actually! (I rewound it to the beginning multiple times!) I kinda wish Jasper and Lapis didn't get taken out of the picture like that, because I would've loved to see them get more characterization in the future, but the thing Lapis did with Malachite was super badass, so I'm not overly broken up about it! But yeah, awesome episode, and I'm exited to start on the second season.

in case ur wondering, ms purple puma is my favorite crystal gem, while the green dorito is my favorite character in general

Favorite characters, huh. I think my favorite of the Crystal Gems is Garnet, but I've never been good at picking favorites.

Haha, yeah, people seem to love calling Peridot a Dorito... even though her hair/helmet(?) is diamond-shaped and not triangular??? She is really interesting so far and I love her character design a LOT (god those fingers are cool), but I think I need to watch farther and see her personality more before I start to form opinions beyond "this person is real cool".
Fun fact: Until I started watching the show, I literally thought Peridot was one of the main heroes and a central character to the show, just from reading your blog and seeing only bits and pieces of her. I was confused when she didn't make any appearances at all early on, and it wasn't until seeing her for the first time in Warp Tour that I thought "oh, is she actually gonna be a villain?"

(also on another note what made u watch SU muffinz from my blog 'm curious)

Not one specific thing, really... just seeing the really awesome character designs and funny comics people created made me curious, then I looked up the first few episodes and started watching, getting more and more "hooked" by the moment. Did I mention I love the character designs? So great.
muffinz
Gentleman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:11 pm

pssssht

(just speaking from my reactions when I watched the finale myself here)

do you really think jasper and lapis are gonna get written off completely like that

they comin' back man

there is no way

also peridot's helmet looks more triangular at a first glance so. dorito. also part of it is gravity falls influence :0

and. without specifying anything there's more peridot episodes comin' in, but maaaan does she get... peridotty

u will like it
Spark Eletran
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Yeah maybe? I dunno, it's certainly possible, but even if Jasper can force them to unfuse later, she's still underwater, so can't Lapis just keep her trapped with the same method she kept the both of them trapped as Malachite? You have a good point, but when I first watched it the Malachite scene seemed to have a kind of finality to it.

It's a helmet? Ah. My first instinct was "hair", but I'm probably just stupid since I mistook Garnet's hair for a helmet before I started watching.
You know, something I didn't realize before... isn't Peridot trapped on Earth now that the ship is destroyed? Man, I gotta go search for the second season so I can keep watching!

Things I'm hoping for: the promised Peridottiness, um, Ruby and Sapphire appearing more and getting more individual characterization, uh... I dunno, as long as it continues being this good I'll love it :V
muffinz
Gentleman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaber on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:04 am

http://theworldofstevenuniverse.blogspot.com.au has all the episodes if you were looking for them
Xaber
Ranger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:05 am

Oh, nah, it's hair :0 I just read helmet so I typed helmet but it's canonically dumb hair

And yes, yes she is. The fandom joked/theorized she landed in Canada after that.

Also, on Malachite - who knows. The theory back then was that it wouldn't be long until Malachite/Jasper and Lapis were found by someone, either that or until Malachite "her"self escaped...

On Ruby and Sapphire - You're not the only one. And don't forget you haven't seen the Garnet/Pearl fusion yet! And Yellow Diamond is still someone left to see, and there's still season 1 elements to be brought back (What's the Geode? What's with the Crystal Heart of the temple? What about Centipeedle and the various gem monsters that have been pushed to the background now? What's the "cluster" Peridot was talking about?), as well as the always present question of "Is there more to the Homeworld we haven't seen??", since Rebecca said early on that the show didn't have a specific "villain" per say.

Also, idk if you've seen it yet or not since it's technically season 1 in-canon but aired as season 2, but in case you haven't I'll just say - Story for Steven. The designnnnns and aesthetiiiiiic I just love it

(there's multiple eps like that - usually Garnet's design is a good tip off for those)

AND LASTLY

....don't forget the Uncle Grandpa crossover c8
Spark Eletran
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:07 am

...Well, I'm completely lost. Of course, I've also been wrapped up in Borderlands and Warframe, so there's that.
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:11 am

cephalopodAscendant wrote:...Well, I'm completely lost. Of course, I've also been wrapped up in Borderlands and Warframe, so there's that.

Uh, same here. Except for that last part; I've just been teaching my boyfriend to play League and reading the finance book my dad shipped me and asked me to read.

Sooooo, how 'bout them Pokaymanz?
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top