Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

+8
OverlordJ
kotakun
Hanky Panky
cephalopodAscendant
Spark Eletran
muffinz
invisibleTerrarium
tinning3
12 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 22 Empty Re: General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

Post by d_what Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:42 am

Nah not really. The duality thing wasn't a a paired set of names since the only Latias I have is called (appropriately) LATIOS (thanks Smogon), so I was really thinking along the lines of "if someone googled this, it'd be cool if it referenced a (for example) gnostic feminine representation of the duality inherent in all things (which is pretty close to Yin/Yang actually, I just don't think they scan). But scansion is the main property I want and for that I'll probably end up going with Cirrus. Should I end up catching a nicknamable Latias, I can use Stratus.

On the other hand, Dragalge was a very easy Pokemon to nickname yesterday. Hatched him yesterday; perfect *except* for a perfect attack stat of 30. Weird how things work out sometime. Now I can train both of my specially defensive dragoms, yay. Dunno what to do moveset-wise for Dragalge though.

((Yaaaaay chrome!))
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 22 Empty Re: General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain)

Post by OverlordJ Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:05 am

Meanwhile I'm still breeding for my Muk. I have a 1/36 chance (I think) and I have hatched more then 36 so far. I'm not having the greatest luck with this.

I recently started making a list with names for the different starters of each gen. I'm both including some names I used before but also some that are different. I'm still missing some though, so I was wondering what names you guys liked for starters
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:15 am

Arctide is my go-to for Empleon, if that's what you're asking. All the gen 4 guys have a lot of room for nicknaming actually since they have such rich design histories.

What's your setup for Muk, OJ? I'll check your math. (1 in 36 really isn't bad at all, in gen 5 1/104 would have been quite common)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:55 am

Okay, the goal is 31 IV in all but special attack, right nature, hidden ability. I don't care about the special IV at all.

The mother has the right IVs and hidden ability and holds that item where 5 IVs are passed on. The father has 31 in all but defense and special attack, the right nature and also the hidden ability and is holding an everstone.

So I want that all but special get passed on (1/6 if I'm not mistaken) and I want that the mothers defense gets passed on (1/6×1/2) and I want the hidden ability, but I forgot what the chance for that it. I thought it was 1/3 but it might have been something else.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Okay, so excluding Hidden Abilities for a moment, and using gen 6 mechanics, you actually have a ~0.0937 chance of getting the right stats (and obviously nature). That's slightly greater than 1/12 (it's actually 1 in 10.67) because there's also a chance that the stat that isn't passed on ends up being one of your 31s, (so Sp.Atk got passed instead) BUT the randomiser made that stat 31 anyway. (that's about 4/384.)

With Hidden Abilities, that falls to 60% of that, ~0.056 or 1 in 17. Which is still fine! You're just having a bad time.

I've found the most efficient way to check is to do it in groups of 5; as soon as you have a Pokemon hatched, 'chuck it in the box, and if you have 5 (or a multiple of 5) then go to the Judge and check their IVs. Another timesaver is to immediately release any Pokemon with the wrong ability (so you can ignore that 60% chance) or anyone with obviously deficient stats - for example if I'm hatching Skrelp that are all modest, and their stats are 5/5/6/6/6/4 and I get one with 5/5/6/5/4 I can release that one since it's never gonna be what I want. Note that this only works when their natures are the same though :O But all this elimination kind of artificially increases the odds and it makes it seem like less of a slog, since the ones you check actually have quite a high chance of being the right ones.

Still, well done on those parents! You've clearly got right into this breeding malarky. See, it ain't so hard now, is it? Very Happy
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Breeding in this gen is pretty easy, yeah. Especially if you get some ood IV ones via wondertrade. First I bred my male hidden ability Muk with Ditto untill I got a female one, then bred that till I got a female one with the hidden abiity and the right egg moves. Then I bred it with an 5 IV mon of the same egg group and anytime I got a female with the hidden ability and more 31 IVs the the one I was using at the moment, I switched.

But yeah, I'm not releasing stuff, I'm wondertrading the rejects away. I always give them a nice berry to hold, too.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Well, I've officially been distracted from Pokémon by Bayonetta.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:36 pm

caught a shiny staryu today. after obtaining the shiny charm in ORAS

catch up, plebs.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Hey, does anyone know when the rng decides how well a pokeball is going to work? Is it the second you throw the pokeball, predetermined when the turn starts, or what?
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:15 pm

When you throw it, IIRC. RNGs in Pokemon usually up the counter when certain events happen, possibly based on time but besides time there's no other event that would happen to advance the seed in a Pokemon battle. So it's probably the same throw even after you've waited 5 minutes.

Y?
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm doing a playthrough of White 2 on an emulator, and I was trying to catch this Yamask, so in order to not waste any pokeballs i saved the state at the main battle screen and clicked through the menus to throw the ball so the result would be different every time, but I always got no wiggles. Then when I decided "screw it" and just threw another ball without bothering to load the state, I caught it.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 pm

God I have such a love/hate relationship with pokemon lately!!

Yesterday

Heatran, Modest, 30/31/31/31/24/30

today,

Heatran, Calm, 31/20/31/31/24/31

AAAAAAAAARGHFUCK

I'm trying for a specially defensive set

:unmspa:
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:15 am

specially defensive set on a fire type?

in unrelated news I have an eon ticket. Feel free to be envious.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Yeah, I've got one too. Apparently my friend got it but didn't feel the need to let me know until I told him I had it.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:49 pm

General Chat: Dawn of THE FIRST DAY (72 hours remain) - Page 22 Eon-ticket

there you go now you all have an eon ticket hope you remembered your ereader i still have mine somewhere
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Hanky Panky wrote:specially defensive set on a fire type?

in unrelated news I have an eon ticket. Feel free to be envious.
Yurp!

*blags:*

Specially Defensive

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Earth Power/Roar/Taunt
- Earth Power/Protect/Stealth Rock

Moves

"Specially defensive Heatran is the most commonly used set, as it checks a lot of Pokemon that are otherwise hard to check, such as Mega Gardevoir and Mega Charizard Y. Lava Plume is Heatran's primary attack and can be hard to switch into due to Heatran's good Special Attack. Due to its 30% chance to burn, Lava Plume is also a really effective status spreader, capable of crippling a lot of switch-ins. Toxic is great on Heatran, allowing Heatran to be able to take on switch-ins with reliable recovery such as Latios and Latias, in addition to Fire-types that are immune to burns.
Taunt is the primary option for Heatran's third moveslot, as it allows Heatran to beat Calm Mind Clefable. In addition, it also stops slower Pokemon such as Chansey and Skarmory from utilizing their support moves. If opposing Heatran are a problem to your team, Earth Power is an option to hit them for super effective damage. Earth Power also gives Heatran a way of doing good damage to Terrakion and offensive Water-types such as Greninja and Keldeo on the switch. Roar is also an option to phaze setup sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Clefable, and Dragonite out in a pinch, cutting their sweep short. It is also great for racking up damage from entry hazards and eventual damage from Toxic and burns. The last moveslot decides how your Heatran is going to function; Protect lets it recover more HP from Leftovers, in addition to being great for scouting against Choice-locked Pokemon and racking up status damage. Running Stealth Rock is the last moveslot is also an viable option if your team is lacking a Stealth Rock setter. It should be noted that without Protect, Heatran might struggle to recover the damage taken from entry hazards and the resisted hits it switches into. Lastly, running Earth Power over Protect or Stealth Rock is another option if Heatran and Terrakion are problems to your team.
Apart from these moves, Heatran has a few other options which are perfectly viable; if your team needs Heatran to serve as a decent check to Mega Charizard Y and the occasional Volcarona, Stone Edge or Ancient Power can be run to hurt them severely. Lastly, Flash Cannon is a good pick if hitting Mega Gardevoir hard is required.

Set Details

Leftovers is the item of choice, as it's great for healing residual damage, seeing as Heatran has no form of reliable recovery. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize entry hazard damage, while 68 Speed EVs are used to hit 207 Speed, which lets Heatran outspeed most Mega Venusaur and Suicune. This lets Heatran either KO them or Taunt them to prevent them from healing or setting up. In addition, the investment in Speed lets Heatran outspeed most Mega Scizor that try to Speed creep Heatran, as well as maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill. The rest is put in Special Defense for additional special bulk. If outspeeding these Pokemon is not a huge issue, running an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe is advised. A Calm nature is used to further boost Heatran's Special Defense.
Running physically defensive Heatran is an option if it's your main check to Mega Charizard X and Talonflame. An EV spread of 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe with a Bold nature is the best choice, which makes Heatran capable of switching into the aforementioned threats with much more ease than specially defensive Heatran.
If your team depends on Heatran to take on or lure certain threats, like Bisharp, Breloom, Excadrill, and Mega Charizard X, higher benchmarks in Speed can be run. Running 200 Speed EVs with a neutral nature lets Heatran hit 240 Speed, which is enough to outrun base 70 Speed Pokemon with maximum Speed and a neutral nature, such as Adamant Bisharp. 208 Speed EVs with a beneficial nature makes Heatran hit 266 Speed, which lets it outspeed base 70 Speed Pokemon with maximum Speed, such as Jolly Breloom and Bisharp. Lastly, running 244 Speed EVs with a beneficial nature lets Heatran hit 276 Speed, which is faster than Adamant Excadrill and most bulky Mega Charizard X. It also lets Heatran Speed tie with standard stallbreaker Mew.

Usage Tips

This set is best suited for balanced and bulky offensive teams. While being a great switch-in to Mega Gardevoir, Latios, and Latias, Heatran has to look out for their coverage moves, as Focus Blast and Surf, respectively, hit Heatran hard on the switch. The combination of Toxic + Protect is great for wearing down the opponent, but the use of Protect may become very predictable, and it may give your opponent a lot of free turns to switch out or set up. Thus, it's advised to play carefully with Protect, especially if your opponent has a way of using it to their favor. If running Roar you can phaze Dragons that are already set up, but Heatran shouldn't be your main answer to these setup sweepers, as boosted Outrages severely hurt Heatran. In addition to this, most sweepers run coverage moves to hit Heatran for super effective damage.

Team Options

Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Amoongus are incredible partners for Heatran due to their great synergy and ability to deal with Ground- and Water-type attacks. Bulky Water-types are also very good partners, with Rotom-W, Suicune, Azumarill, and Keldeo being optimal choices. Having a solid physical wall to take on Garchomp and Terrakion is generally a good option, as they often force Heatran out. This makes Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon all good teammates. Clefable is a great partner for Heatran, as it can easily take Fighting-type attacks, while Heatran easily takes on the Steel-types that annoy Clefable.
If running Roar, Pokemon that can set entry hazards, such as Spikes Ferrothorn and Spikes Chesnaught, make great teammates, as wearing the opponent down with shuffling becomes much easier."

*unblags*

Good for you. Myself, I'm okay with the idea that I may never get it, since a) I already have a perfect Latios from Smogon, b) I don't have any more master balls anyway, and c) I don't need Soul Dew. But eventually should I ever get, say, two more Master Balls, then I'll probably try to swing over to League or hook up a "nintendoSpotPass5" or whatever. I may end up working in Dublin anyway in a year's time, (yuuuurgh hope not) but if I do then I'll definitely get the ticket. I'm pretty happy that Deoxys was a non-event, though! They should do that more often as the amount of event legends increase (say, one per game release).
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 am

might be at about 500 encounters for SRing shiny latios.

that beautiful aqua green
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:00 pm

'dat cutscene 

Although actually I don't know if that Latios is the storymode one or the EON ticket one, so maybe it's not so bad.
One thing though: There isn't a shiny lock on it, is there? Some of the legends are Shiny Locked... you may want to make sure Lati@s isn't one of them!
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:08 pm

i have alpha sapphire so latios is the eon ticket one. and no there isn't a shiny lock. it's a 1/4096 chance to encounter a shiny in the wild and i have the shiny charm, which multiplies that chance by 3. up to 1/1365

it isn't unusual to be at 500 encounters. i just would have preferred to hit a shiny by now.
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:32 am

you know, i really like heatran's design and type combo and general stat distribution, so it makes me somewhat sad that it's a 600 BST legendary that's not really usable in an in-game playthrough.
if only i could like, change the past to make it so GF decided to make it a rare non-legendary with like 520-540 BST (but the same general distribution of stats) instead. like maybe 91/80/101/115/101/57 or something? that'd be cool.

i mean yeah i know i can still use it if i ever decide to get into competitive play, but i dunno if or when that'll ever happen.

Last edited by muffinz on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:34 am

Heatran is just confusing. It can be either male or female, and there's no real coherent backstory on it. It's just some strange magma creature living in a mountain.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 am

I don't really get why it's a legendary, to be honest
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:01 am

because game freak says so so there
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:06 pm

I'd like to believe that on a scale from one-to-legendary it's closer to the bottom of the legendary section. Like, Entei, but without the ressurection myth or whatever.

Actually, you know what Heatran's like?

A Leprechaun. Mythical, rare, pretty powerful I guess but not godly, associated with specific locations. That kind of thing. Lots of countries would have similarly-ranking myths; Heatran would be like that. Or like the Loch Ness Monster if there were multiples of it and it didn't represent a nation.
When in reality it's probably just a very very very rare Pokemon, conditioned to live in and tap into Volcano powers, and is therefore both rare and powerful, and hence has had myths build up about it. Compared to Palkia, that's pretty weak stuff. But that would still technically be legendary.

((Either way, I DO like Heatran, always have done. There's something very raw about it's design, and competitively it's incredible. In fact, Fire+Steel with Flash Fire is so incredible that sometimes I wish Flash Fire just granted a resistance instead of an immunity. The amount of defensive cores Heatran has been a part of is insane...))
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:27 am

alright i was sliiightly disappointed that only one person made any actual guesses on my nicknames last time, so it's time for ROUND 2, now with a few additions.

Marshtomp
Mightyena
Zigzagoon
Wurmple
Shroomish
Taillow
Ninjask
Shedinja
Loudred
Magikarp
Tentacool
Gulpin
Sableye
Azumarill
Numel

Physalia
Boyd
Bluebell
Gummi
Fabio
Cornelius
Pepper
Daniel
Celia
Alice
Jacques
Murray
Saharah
Nehema
Argyle

incorrect things ruled out from last round:
gummi is not gulpin or tentacool

if i don't get many correct guesses i'll probably separate the things on my team from the things not on my team to narrow things down.
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next