Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

+19
variegatedDreamraptor
Captain
Hanky Panky
Hytheter
Sandstriker
ilikeoctopus
muffinz
Spark Eletran
PunchesMalone
d_what
tinning3
kotakun
Dregadude
cephalopodAscendant
Druplesnubb
phantasmalDexterity
NinteNerd
OverlordJ
Gelatino
23 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 22 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:01 am

The difference is, Bite is a fairly widespread move that is actually learned by more non-Dark types than Dark types. Psybeam is a little more rare, and the vast majority of Pokémon that learn it are Psychic types. And the only confirmation about the starters' typings that we have is that their first forms are all monotyped; we have no official information about their evolutions.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE - Page 22 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion: USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN APPROPRIATE

Post by OverlordJ Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 am

Well, I'll take a look at the vid in a moment, once I got myself some food.

And just so you know, just because I probably won't play it doesn't mean I don't care
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 am

New Pikachu cry still makes me sad. Yeah, it was heavily implied from early on that it'll be Fire/Psychic. I think Chespin is now my top candidate for first starter. Also, it looks like Fire Spin, the first move this Fennekin used, is WAY better now. At least, the damage the wild Pikachu took at the end of the turn makes me think that move is now useable. I understand German pretty well but all the speech was moving too fast for me to accurately understand.

And it sounds like instead of the dying roar being just a lower pitched version of the starting roar, Pikachu (at least, maybe everyone) has a different roar altogether.

The Professor's theme... I think I'm falling in love.

so manly <3
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:14 am

Okay, so the attacks are Psybeam, Firespin, Tailwhip and another fire attack. I'll also be happy to translate all the text, it'll just take a while

Edit: the other fire attack is Fire Charge

Last edited by OverlordJ on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:15 am

OverlordJ wrote:Okay, so the attacks are Psybeam, Firespin, Tailwhip and another fire attack. I'll also be happy to translate all the text, it'll just take a while
Nah, don't bother. If you see something that doesn't make sense, sure, but otherwise it just looked like normal Pokemon text prompts to me.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:24 am

Well, most text is indeed pretty pointless, like the stuff the female trainer says. But I think I'll take a closer look at the Pokemon ami thingy.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 am

OH LOOK THERE WERE MORE IN THE RELATED VIDEOS HAHAHA
pretty much all the same though.
wifi battle!:

Y demo:

X demo:

X english gameplay/comments:

X english reaction vid:
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:43 am

Two things I noticed by the way: Looks like you can't climb stairs while riding and the ground on which Rhyhorn walks while riding looks different.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 am

cephalopodAscendant wrote:The difference is, Bite is a fairly widespread move that is actually learned by more non-Dark types than Dark types. Psybeam is a little more rare, and the vast majority of Pokémon that learn it are Psychic types. And the only confirmation about the starters' typings that we have is that their first forms are all monotyped; we have no official information about their evolutions.
psybeam learned by 21 psychic and 45 total
bite yeah is 16 dark of 100 total
but overall psybeam is still not a guaranteed psychic pokemon nor would it be one id bet on for a coin flip
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:06 am

Well, at the very least, we've never seen a Fighting type that can learn Psybeam (apart from Pirouette Forme Meloetta, but its Aria Forme is Psychic, and it can only be in Pirouette Forme in battle), so it's looking very unlikely that Fennekin will become a Fire/Fighting type when it evolves.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm

theyll do it somehow
Spoiler:
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 pm

just so you know

nothing of the demo actually happens in-game

its an area specifically created to show off the new features for that demo

so no you wont get a level 100 mewtwo in the begining of the game actually

also it was already confirmed before that to mega evolve you must fulfill the conditions required and an option will appear at the bottom screen, which you click when you want to mega-evolve and you can also choose a move to use that same turn so yep

Oh, and I agree that a fighting-type learning psychic wouldn't really... make much sense???? so yeah betting on fire/psychic
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:26 pm

2ds...

wah?

Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Zuh? But seriously, what even is the point of this?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Basically? To allow people who don't find the 3D feature of the 3DS that "important" and just want to play its games, without having to actually pay FOR the 3D (thus having a lowe price). I like the 3D and also already have a normal 3DS, so I don't think I'll be buying one, but I actually think this might be a good idea and might also make some people buy a 2DS while they didn't plan on getting a 3DS.
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm

But not being able to close it seems like a very bizarre design choice. Why not just make it like a DS with the 3DS's buttons?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:31 pm

kay that part ive got no idea

though i like to think its just cause it would be hard to differenciate it from the rest???? and then they decided like maybe "hey its 2d so it loses the ability to move in the 3d plane" which made it like flat get it huh huh

i dont know thats probably not it but it kinda makes sense in its own bizarre way
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Wow, this... is incredibly silly. I mean, if I hadn't gotten my 3DS XL a month ago, maybe I would have considered buying it, but the reason I got the XL is because the 3D doesn't bother me and I wanted to spend a little more to get the best experience in the new Nintendo generation.

Not being able to close it is just stupid, however. Do hinges really cost that much more? And is there a sleep button or something you could use to save battery when you want to take a break but don't want to turn it off? Getting rid of the sleep option would be really dumb.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:18 pm

actually i saw someone make a very good point on tumblr

it might be focused on kids

the 3d from the 3ds can prejudice kids eyes and while you can turn it off, a kid can easily turn it back on

and the lack of beingabletocloseitoffness would be cause, as they said, many kids end up breaking their (3)ds by opening and closing it too violently, and this would thus solve that problem
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Goddammit.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take out the logic-sticks JUST ONCE.

From a marketing point of view, the 3DS is a powerhouse but it is losing the youngest side of the market, both because of the wealth of kid-friendly apps on daddy's iPad and because the 3DS is both unsuitable and too expensive for little Timmy. Despite the 3+ rating on many famous Nintendo games. The 2DS is a fantastic marketing decision guys, please, leave the knee jerk reactions under the keyboard where they belong. Tablet-shaped devices are proven effective in small hands and open screens are a bazillion times safer than a hinge, this was a suitability question, not a price one. The sleep mode factor is a curiosity I'll admit.

The main thing is.
This is not marketed towards us.
This is not marketed towards us.

THIS IS NOT MARKETED TOWARDS US! WE DO NOT HAVE AN INPUT!

The second rather clever thing about it is the release date. X and Y will be gaming POWERHOUSES and Pokemon is seeing a slow and steady resurgence in popularity among our age group (since the RSE-cringe factor is now also something fondly remembered from childhood). However, they're held back because 1) returners to the pokemon franchise are reluctant to spend cash on a rather expensive, everyone-says-the-3D-is-a-gimmick console just to play a single great game (an entry game obviously. More to follow.) Bulkiness aside - and people are comfortable nowadays with tablets - I can name plenty of people in my social group who would strongly consider getting x and y now when they wouldn't have before because to them trading the 3D for a price drop is a fair deal. Not to us of course, some games are so much clearer with 3D... Since we've played them already... On our already bought consoles...

THIS IS NOT MARKETED TOWARDS US!

and anyway it'll likely form a total feedback loop. Cheap effective increasingly popular version of an already successful console + brand new really hyped SUDDENLY AVAILABLE basically unobtainable set of flagstone games + lots of people getting them for these reasons = more people getting them for these reasons! Why the shock and defense, guys? In what way does this REMOTELY hurt you?? The constant knee-jerk Pokemon reactions I can at least understand, but this is totally excessive.

P.S design is poor especially compared to the vita or something
...excessively poor
...almost as though...
IT'S NOT MARKETED TOWARDS US
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Dude, calm down, cA and phanDex and Spark and I were just confused for a second. I don't think we were raging per se, we just didn't immediately see that it was for kids. Personally I first thought it was solely meant as a cheaper version of the 3DS, which is the cheaper version of the 3DS XL. Of course this all seems obvious in retrospect, as well as how brilliant this is from a marketing standpoint.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Oh no I'm not angry or anything. I just really don't like my logic-sticks. They're old and worn and sometimes I get blisters and they make me sad when I'm holding them.

Is it weird that ever since the GBA arrived I have always, ALWAYS failed to not be surprised at suddenness of the latest Nintendo handheld? GBA, SP OH WOW micro OH MY DS OOOOH DS lite AHHHHH DSi OHHHHH DSi XL UHHHH 3DS EEEEEEEE 3DS XL EHHHHHHHH 2DS HHHHHHHHhhhhh....? Every time it takes me by surprise.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:50 pm

It's actually a pretty handy idea by Nintendo. Because suddenly, younger kids can play 3DS games!

Because there is no 3D which is infamous for being dangerous to kids, there is no flippable screen that a child can easily break, and it's cheaper which big families will certainly appreciate if all their kids want a 3DS... it's basically a Kiddie 3DS.

It's a pretty smart decision.

But yeah, I don't particularly personally like it. Looks dumb to me.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm

I was indeed surprised. Or... at least that's a word you can use to describe it.
But. Well, okay. I can except the price reason.
And the 3d reason.
Not being able to close a console isn't that big deal either in itself.
But thanks to the fact that it's a fairly big console if you can't close it it won't fit into your pocket. Which defeats the whole purpose imo.
Also, I don't know about you, but I alway use it in a 120°, not in 180°.
Plus it's a wedge.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 pm

phantasmalDexterity wrote:I was indeed surprised. Or... at least that's a word you can use to describe it.
But. Well, okay. I can except the price reason.
And the 3d reason.
Not being able to close a console isn't that big deal either in itself.
But thanks to the fact that it's a fairly big console if you can't close it it won't fit into your pocket. Which defeats the whole purpose imo.
Also, I don't know about you, but I alway use it in a 120°, not in 180°.
Plus it's a wedge.
I do this too. Is this wrong? EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next