Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat: The Smashening

+12
ilikeoctopus
Captain
Xaber
phantasmalDexterity
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
d_what
invisibleTerrarium
Dregadude
Hanky Panky
OverlordJ
16 posters

Page 40 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 40 Empty Re: General Chat: The Smashening

Post by invisibleTerrarium Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Emerald nuzlocke update: training for the elite 4 is obnoxious when you have to get everyone to level sixty from level 53. that's 42 total levels. fuckin hell
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:07 pm

I barely even know when Hannukah is, which just proves how bad a Jew I am.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:51 pm

I've... I've never met a Jewish person mspa Well, except by accident. I think I heard I'm related via extended U.S. family to some that I may or may not have met but I didn't know it at the time so it doesn't count. In the same vein, I MAY know someone Jewish and just not know that they're Jewish? Or half Jewish, I think that's more likely. And anyway, in terms of the "PEOPLE WHO ARE JEWS THAT I HAVE MET TALLY" I don't think it even really counts if someone's not really a practicing person or comes from a heavily culturally Jewish family, since I'd be rather miffed if I got included in someone's "CATHOLICS I'VE MET TALLY" since I'm sure as hell not a catholic on the inside. (Only born into it. My mom's the same and she's an atheist, and my sister couldn't tell the Pope from the Dalai Lama. I'd get it cancelled only I heard you have to write a letter to a bishop for that and it'll be a weird day when I decide to waste any of my SICK VOCABS on any god-damned clergy. Bleuchh.) I guess what I mean is I've never interacted with anyone who has made being Jewish part of their identity? And it's hazy with Judaism since it's both a race and/or a culture and/or a religion. It's all labels really. I won't consider anyone anything cultural or religious unless THEY consider themselves part of that culture/religion. Anything else would be presumptuous.

tl;dr still haven't really met a Jewish person?? Also Irish so it's not like that's really all that odd or unusual?? mspa happy Jewish new year doe??
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:27 pm

One of my Jewish friends forgot about Rosh Hashanah and only remembered when we passed by a flyer at night.

But he also forgets to eat regular meals a lot of the time and occasionally chows down on bacon so uh
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Yeah, my family's never kept kosher. There are many reasons I call myself a terrible Jew...
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 pm

So, question, how closely tied are the religion and the race on a single-instance basis? Like, you can obviously be born into a Jewish family, does that automatically make you a Jew (or perhaps better phrased as "default to a Jew") even if you're a total atheist who thinks _______ is a load of bull (where _______ is some important religious dogma held by Jews)? And the reverse, can you be considered a "real" Jew if you're all up in the hasidicness and the cool hats and can recite the Torah backwards (or given the nature of the Torah, forwards) but were born to Peruvian mountaineers? Is there any cultural divide between the two in terms of what constitutes a "real" Jew (note that I'm not discussing the difference between people/subfaiths on different points of the scale of fundamentalism. I know that exists. I mean SPECIFICALLY race v religion)? Is it a point of contention or acknowledgment typically? Swept under the rug, or simply not thought of? Do Jewish families typically care if they know their offspring are gonna (select one and only one) [consider themselves and THEIR children culturally Jewish but no longer follow the religion | Not identify with the Jewish race/culture but definitely follow the Jewish faith]? If there is a division, has it always existed and is it widening/narrowing in recent years/decades?

I'm very interested in this kind of thing. Western subcultures are pretty interesting and I feel I don't know enough about them. The closest thing I can think of here is that people up in the North could totally be secular but still be culturally Catholic/Protestant, but there's no actual race involved since they're genetically identical. Plus Catholic/Protestant really isn't the key identifier, it's almost more of a coincidence at this point. Nationalist/Unionist is far more accurate, so the similarities fall apart here. Also, I don't know an incredible amount about Northern Irish culture. Southerners typically don't, and... don't care.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Just like with Christianity, the answer's going to depend a lot on which denomination you're talking about. Technically, you're not considered an ethnic Jew unless your mother is Jewish, but some of the more liberal groups really don't care. And regardless of whether you count in terms of heritage, you're probably so immersed in Jewish culture that it almost doesn't matter whether or not you still belong to the faith. Judaism is also traditionally not big on converts; rabbis are supposed to deny your request three times as a test of your commitment before they'll let you go through with the conversion (again, some denominations let that requirement go). I have no idea if any of that answered your question, but it's the best I can do.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 pm

religion is a strange beast that i find myself better off without
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Learning about religion is good, it gives you a bonus to turn undead or something mspa
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:25 pm

I do love that .gif.

But, Spark, I think it's worth mentioning that THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE PEOPLE RELAX

it's just Hussie saying stuff. He's predicting mid-late October (cough), it WON'T be all one big update and he DOESN'T have all the pages done. Personal issues happened. Also, something about the rapture? Stuff is gonna happen all at once and that doesn't just mean the end of HS. At the very least this includes more merch/music release/game news, but that's hardly what I'd consider rapturous. ((Actual sburb with meteors, THAT would be rapturous.)) So I wonder what he's talking about.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Mid to Late October means I was totally right (on my third guess). He's updating again on either the 16th, 17th or 25th.Probably. Maybe. The 16th being exactly a year after the Gigapause started. 17th just cause its the day after. Or the 25th bc 10/15.

Idk what's wrong with me atm but when I found this out I was nowhere near as hype as everyone else around me at the time was. That's improved a little now, but I'm still far more meh than I should be. Especially seeing as I'm not one of those people who's gotten bored of Homestuck.
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Didn't he say he planned to release the game late this year
I think he did?
...what if he released the game at the same time as Homestuck ended
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:08 pm

I thought I wasn't as hyped as I thought I was going to be, but then I went through a little bit of HS again and then suddenly that old feeling of READING HS came back and now I'm really really excited
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm looking forward to updates, and I'm not going to say I'm not hype about it because as soon as the updates actually start I'll be obnoxious to everyone all day, it's how I roll. Seeing [s]cascade in the update bar was at most something to do while I was in university supposed to be studying being a productive member of society, but then as soon as the music blared up I was all 'Oh smash, it's hapeningg', and by the end I was kinda shaking from the adrenaline.. And I was overall very indifferent in the new smash bros until I got the demo, and now 6 days are waaay too long to wait.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:05 pm

General Chat: The Smashening - Page 40 Smash10General Chat: The Smashening - Page 40 Smash15General Chat: The Smashening - Page 40 Smash11
General Chat: The Smashening - Page 40 Daveis12General Chat: The Smashening - Page 40 Daveis11General Chat: The Smashening - Page 40 Smash12

if I could just draw something in the same style twice in a row that would be greaaaat

Anyway, we're still missing Octi's Final Smash, a bunch of player data from people, assorted player portraits and I was thinking it'd be nice if we could standardise the format of the descriptions. (I actually edited mine to match Hanky's ages ago since I preferred his style to mine.)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:02 pm

What do you mean descriptions btw?
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:18 pm

The things that go into the spoiler tags on the Smash OP for each player. They're a little messy! And inconsistent. I figure:

[spoiler with reveal text]

Neutral Special:
Move name -- Description of move, first person

Side Special:
Move Name -- Same

Up Special:
Etc -- bluh

Down Special:
asdfdafads -- wurds

FINAL SMASH
Final Smash name -- description

Small character description, perhaps outfit or general feel

[spoiler with bonus content; other moves, entry animation etc etc]
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:08 pm

I prefer third person myself.

Captain Combusken leaps into the fray!:
Captain
Captain
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanky Panky Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:45 pm

yo dawg that portrait looks baller as hell

edit: matter of fact....

Last edited by Hanky Panky on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Oh god yeah I still have to do a Final Smash! We're actually throwing a birthday party for one of my friends and I need some time to mull over this one, so I'll get back to you guys on this one...
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Just one thing Capn, the part where the up a and down air well. Don't do damage is kinda weird?
Like especially considering it'd be really overpowered if the character was off the stage, seeing as it doesn't need to charge at all and carries the opponent along
It'd prolly be better if it did really low multihit damage, since at least it gives a chance to recover afterwards (since it takes them off helpless mode)

will do my full thing in a bit btw
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by invisibleTerrarium Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:42 pm

...smash bros icons as avatars, hmmmmmmm????

Also important! Remember my artbro doug??? Well he runs this here webcomic and y'all should check it out because he just started chapter two and it is getting good!!! It updates every other tuesday btw
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:12 am

I... I... I still can't believe nobody has... nobody has mentioned....

ah forget it. Weird things are obviously the default in the quarantine and aren't always followed by a comment.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 am

mentioned what exactly Dee?
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down