General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Spark Eletran wrote:guys
thats like saying the cyndaquil family having those red spots where the flames comes from is non-canon cause the games never showed/mentioned it, just the anime and manga
Excuse you? Now I have to decide whether to say "Your face doesn't have canon red spots where them flames come out of" or "I pity the fool who never played Crystal"
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by invisibleTerrarium on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Man i just finished the looker quests.
Fucking Xerosic, man.
avatar
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Posts : 1240
Join date : 2013-08-06
Age : 17
Location : yes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by phantasmalDexterity on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:52 pm

I couldn't decide if I should cry or laugh at the end of the Looker story. It was just soooooooo over the top and melodramatic.
Though I lost it when Emma said "Dr Xerosic is getting ready for his big arrest."
I just
can't.
avatar
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Posts : 642
Join date : 2013-07-21
Age : 24
Location : Not in a river.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Gelatino on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:17 pm

did she mean cardiac arrest

because he's so fat
avatar
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Posts : 592
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 21
Location : Dinosaur Planet

View user profile http://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Spark Eletran on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:38 pm

OverlordJ wrote:
Spark Eletran wrote:guys
thats like saying the cyndaquil family having those red spots where the flames comes from is non-canon cause the games never showed/mentioned it, just the anime and manga
Excuse you? Now I have to decide whether to say "Your face doesn't have canon red spots where them flames come out of" or "I pity the fool who never played Crystal"
1- i swear i checked all the sprites to be sure it didnt appear and you couldnt see the red spots
2- MY POINT STILL STANDS on gold and silver you couldnt see it but the anime was already doing it. it's the same exact thing! that's like if people were complaining that cyndaquil was never shown with the red spots before other than the anime and mangas but on crystal it was: theyre complaining that purrloin was never shown walking on two legs before other than the anime and mangas but on x and y it IS shown
the only difference is that it was on crystal instead of gen 3 that they showed it
avatar
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 18
Location : right over here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by phantasmalDexterity on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:00 pm

yeah, i'm with spark on this
Gelatino wrote:did she mean cardiac arrest

because he's so fat
wow
so rude
much dissapoint
avatar
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Posts : 642
Join date : 2013-07-21
Age : 24
Location : Not in a river.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Hytheter on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:48 pm

People wrote:the manga
I'm just gonna drop some general advice to not take the manga too seriously as an indicator of canon, because in the manga this thing existed.

mspa
avatar
Hytheter
Ranger

Posts : 206
Join date : 2013-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by kotakun on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 pm

hey dont knock zapmolcuno
avatar
kotakun
Gentleman

Posts : 661
Join date : 2013-07-21

View user profile http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:36 am

There is also a possesed/zombie golduck in one, which then gets partly disolved in acid by an Arbok, who then gets cut in half by a Charmeleon.

And again, I am fine with the way it's depicted in the manga but the way it's seen in the anime and now in the new gen, Purrloin isn't just "able to stand and walk on its hind legs" it's clearly bipedal, which it wasn't before.

There is a difference between "we haven't seen it happen before" and "it shows the opposite of what was shown before"

Purrloin was clearly shown as a quadrupedal Pokemon and now it suddenly went bipedal. That isn't something that should be possible.
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by kotakun on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 am

gold silver crystal


heart gold soul silver
avatar
kotakun
Gentleman

Posts : 661
Join date : 2013-07-21

View user profile http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 pm

kotakun wrote:gold silver crystal


heart gold soul silver
Yes. That is a quadruped standing up on its hind legs. You can clearly see that in the way the body is standing. You'll also notice that, unlike in the purrloin pictures I linked, the hind legs look the same in both pictures.

Again, it's okay for a quadruped to stand up on its hind legs, many quadrupeds are able to do that. It doesn't change the fact that they are quadrupeds, they don't suddenly become bipedal. That's the reason why animals like bears, even though they are fairly easily able to stand on their hind legs, rarely ever WALK on only their hind legs for longer periods of time, since they are quadrupeds and walking on only two legs is difficult for them. On the other hand, we humans are bipeds and WE have usually trouble walking on all fours for longer periods of times (Obviously I am NOT talking about crawling, I am talking about properly walking on all fours).

P.S.: Is it just me or do the images in your post not show properly?


Last edited by OverlordJ on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I noticed a stupid spelling error)
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by tinning3 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:44 pm

People are confusing "Can stand on hind legs with effort" with "is clearly evolved to actually use only it's legs as support".

As an example, dogs and cats use all four legs, but they can stand on thier hind legs now and again to be cute and acquire food from humans who think it's cute. They can not, however, do so indefinatly and they are obviously at a disadvantage while they do so because they are not built in that way. On the other hand, us humans can crawl no all fours njo problem, but we're much more efficient on 2 legs and it shows as well.

Purrloin on the other hand in all of it's artwork is shown being a quadraped, it's legs clearly being shaped to be used in conjunction with it's front set of paws, and even int he manga it's shown to be clearly out of it's element relative to the anime, which shows it standing straighter than some humans do.

My problem isn't Purrloin standing up, that's all fine and dandy. My problem is that this is effecively a retcon showing that either purrlion is actually a biped which was alluded to nowhere else, or can somehow change thier very skeletal structure to accomplish the same thing, which is again shown nowhere else. It's just... it's a huge biological fail, which is really jarring for someone not expecting it. I know I'm making a huge deal out of it, but it doesn't look right. It should have been more like the manga.
avatar
tinning3
Gentleman

Posts : 588
Join date : 2013-07-21
Age : 25
Location : Slowpokes' Cave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

tinning3 wrote:My problem isn't Purrloin standing up, that's all fine and dandy. My problem is that this is effecively a retcon showing that either purrlion is actually a biped which was alluded to nowhere else, or can somehow change their very skeletal structure to accomplish the same thing, which is again shown nowhere else. It's just... it's a huge biological fail, which is really jarring for someone not expecting it. I know I'm making a huge deal out of it, but it doesn't look right. It should have been more like the manga.
I don't think you're making a huge deal out of it and also I added that quote to my sigquote list
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Spark Eletran on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:15 pm

ill just say one thing
"biologically incorrect" this is pokémon, theyre free to have creative liberty with some stuff, it doesnt have to ALL make sense. as far as we know purrloin could be some sorta magic animal who can both be bipedal and quadrupedal really
sure it might not make sense but neither does a bunch of fire-breathing animals, or ones that shoot enormous amounts of water that they couldnt possibly hold inside of them, or the fact wailord is literally lighter than air... some stuff is accurate to real life in pokémon, but some isnt. they can have an animal that can be both perfectly quadrupedal and bipedal if they want to.

and i do have to admit seeing purrloin walk in two legs is kinda awkward but its just a thing it can do i guess
(also i really like even like after the games been out for some time we can still be surprised by stuff in it, hope there are more... "discoveries"? like this later)
avatar
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 18
Location : right over here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:03 pm

1) Yes, as far as we know, Purrloin might have the power to change its bones, so that it can easily walk on both four and two legs. The difference between that ability and some random Pokemon being able to breath fire is the fact that we are usually introduced to a Pokemon knowing, yes, these ones can breathe fire. And if Purrloin would have had the ability to change the shape of its skeleton in the gen where Purrloin was introduced, noone would have said something. We would have said "Oh, a magic cat" and that would have been it. But we weren't introduced to that ability untill the next gen. In fact, no, we weren't introduced to that ability at all. We were suddenly confronted with a bipedal Purrloin. Gen five never meanitons it being able to easily stand and walk on two legs. And gen six never explains why it suddenly can.

tl;dr: No matter what you say, they changed Purrloin in SOME way, for no obvious reason without giving an explanation.

2) See? Even you find it akward. And that's our main issue.

3) I REALLY hope there are no discoveries like THAT, I am fine with discoveries but not with ones that don't fir into the established canon.

You want a fun discovery? Have this fun fact:
All Pokemons that can learn TMs can learn the TM Toxic, implying that all Pokemons are able to produce highly toxic substances. Yes, even the cute ones.
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Spark Eletran on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:16 pm

knew that already so not really a discovery?

i like the fact nincada, ferroseed, ferrothorn, larvesta, and volcarona are all apparently too ugly to attract things
and cryogonal is just so beautiful it surpasses gender limitations and is able to learn attract while being genderless
avatar
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 18
Location : right over here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Except noone will ever love it, not even other Cryogonal (Link sort of related)
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by NinteNerd on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:06 pm

ohjay, y u no comic link?


edit: whoops, didn't realize there was another page.
avatar
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Posts : 550
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 22
Location : when will steven universe return from the war

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by phantasmalDexterity on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm

NN, I would battle with you, but I'm breeding and hatching right now, not really ready for anything.
avatar
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Posts : 642
Join date : 2013-07-21
Age : 24
Location : Not in a river.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by d_what on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Heheheh I know what that's like, since Friday I've bred two Gyarados, two Excadrill and three *******! Crazy addictive. I can't stop, it reminds me too much of the fun I had back in gen 4~

All of this is making me understand even further:
Gen 5 was a complete and utter shit-fest in regards to meta stuff!

_________________
my favourite Pokémon's are Venasaur, Zoura, and Scoliopede, and Salemence, and Gradevoir
avatar
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Posts : 2476
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:41 pm

d_what wrote:All of this is making me understand even further:
Gen 5 was a complete and utter shit-fest in regards to meta stuff!
What exactly do you mean?
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by d_what on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Well, besides the fact that power creep was basically defined in Pokemon in 5th gen, and a whole bunch of other obvious things that are written in sky-high letters to anyone in the competitive scene, this article might give you a teeny inkling into the problems we were having last gen: 

http://www.smogon.com/tiers/ou/ban_history

Every generation necessitates bans now and then when the meta is stale or unbalances or over centralised. But the 5th gen one was... Dismal isn't even a strong enough word. It really was an absolute, total, 100 percent legitimate shit fest. Only time will tell if we can recover from it... Weather is gone and the meta has never been more diverse... Bar some megas and Aegislash, who I'm sure will fit in eventually, but come Bank we're gonna have a huge influx of legendaries, and I mean the GOOD ones. A common core late in 5th gen was Tyranitar/Keldeo/Landorus with Celebi and/or Latios as helpful options. How is that not the most boringly clichéd thing ever to battle against :/

_________________
my favourite Pokémon's are Venasaur, Zoura, and Scoliopede, and Salemence, and Gradevoir
avatar
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Posts : 2476
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Gelatino on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:02 am

so they finally banned gengarite

there goes my strategy
avatar
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Posts : 592
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 21
Location : Dinosaur Planet

View user profile http://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:19 am

So much for MGengar not being freaking powerful Very Happy 
avatar
OverlordJ
Expert

Posts : 2242
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 24
Location : Land of Cards and Games

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Gelatino on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:40 am

i guess it makes sense because my gengar was really luck-based; if hypnosis hits, then i can set up a substitute and use shadow ball and focus blast at will, and then just hypnotize the next pokemon that switches in
avatar
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Posts : 592
Join date : 2013-07-20
Age : 21
Location : Dinosaur Planet

View user profile http://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum