Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

+17
Dregadude
DicksMcgee
ilikeoctopus
Spark Eletran
Gelatino
d_what
Hytheter
OverlordJ
Xaber
cephalopodAscendant
kotakun
invisibleTerrarium
muffinz
Hanky Panky
phantasmalDexterity
tinning3
NinteNerd
21 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 6 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by OverlordJ Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Spark Eletran wrote:guys
thats like saying the cyndaquil family having those red spots where the flames comes from is non-canon cause the games never showed/mentioned it, just the anime and manga
Excuse you? Now I have to decide whether to say "Your face doesn't have canon red spots where them flames come out of" or "I pity the fool who never played Crystal"
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 6 Empty Re: General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway

Post by invisibleTerrarium Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Man i just finished the looker quests.
Fucking Xerosic, man.
invisibleTerrarium
invisibleTerrarium
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:52 pm

I couldn't decide if I should cry or laugh at the end of the Looker story. It was just soooooooo over the top and melodramatic.
Though I lost it when Emma said "Dr Xerosic is getting ready for his big arrest."
I just
can't.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:17 pm

did she mean cardiac arrest

because he's so fat
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

https://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:38 pm

OverlordJ wrote:
Spark Eletran wrote:guys
thats like saying the cyndaquil family having those red spots where the flames comes from is non-canon cause the games never showed/mentioned it, just the anime and manga
Excuse you? Now I have to decide whether to say "Your face doesn't have canon red spots where them flames come out of" or "I pity the fool who never played Crystal"
1- i swear i checked all the sprites to be sure it didnt appear and you couldnt see the red spots
2- MY POINT STILL STANDS on gold and silver you couldnt see it but the anime was already doing it. it's the same exact thing! that's like if people were complaining that cyndaquil was never shown with the red spots before other than the anime and mangas but on crystal it was: theyre complaining that purrloin was never shown walking on two legs before other than the anime and mangas but on x and y it IS shown
the only difference is that it was on crystal instead of gen 3 that they showed it
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:00 pm

yeah, i'm with spark on this
Gelatino wrote:did she mean cardiac arrest

because he's so fat
wow
so rude
much dissapoint
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hytheter Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:48 pm

People wrote:the manga
I'm just gonna drop some general advice to not take the manga too seriously as an indicator of canon, because in the manga this thing existed.

mspa
Hytheter
Hytheter
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 pm

hey dont knock zapmolcuno
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:36 am

There is also a possesed/zombie golduck in one, which then gets partly disolved in acid by an Arbok, who then gets cut in half by a Charmeleon.

And again, I am fine with the way it's depicted in the manga but the way it's seen in the anime and now in the new gen, Purrloin isn't just "able to stand and walk on its hind legs" it's clearly bipedal, which it wasn't before.

There is a difference between "we haven't seen it happen before" and "it shows the opposite of what was shown before"

Purrloin was clearly shown as a quadrupedal Pokemon and now it suddenly went bipedal. That isn't something that should be possible.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 am

gold silver crystal
General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 6 156

heart gold soul silver
General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 6 Artwork
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 pm

kotakun wrote:gold silver crystal
General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 6 156

heart gold soul silver
General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 6 Artwork
Yes. That is a quadruped standing up on its hind legs. You can clearly see that in the way the body is standing. You'll also notice that, unlike in the purrloin pictures I linked, the hind legs look the same in both pictures.

Again, it's okay for a quadruped to stand up on its hind legs, many quadrupeds are able to do that. It doesn't change the fact that they are quadrupeds, they don't suddenly become bipedal. That's the reason why animals like bears, even though they are fairly easily able to stand on their hind legs, rarely ever WALK on only their hind legs for longer periods of time, since they are quadrupeds and walking on only two legs is difficult for them. On the other hand, we humans are bipeds and WE have usually trouble walking on all fours for longer periods of times (Obviously I am NOT talking about crawling, I am talking about properly walking on all fours).

P.S.: Is it just me or do the images in your post not show properly?

Last edited by OverlordJ on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I noticed a stupid spelling error)
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:44 pm

People are confusing "Can stand on hind legs with effort" with "is clearly evolved to actually use only it's legs as support".

As an example, dogs and cats use all four legs, but they can stand on thier hind legs now and again to be cute and acquire food from humans who think it's cute. They can not, however, do so indefinatly and they are obviously at a disadvantage while they do so because they are not built in that way. On the other hand, us humans can crawl no all fours njo problem, but we're much more efficient on 2 legs and it shows as well.

Purrloin on the other hand in all of it's artwork is shown being a quadraped, it's legs clearly being shaped to be used in conjunction with it's front set of paws, and even int he manga it's shown to be clearly out of it's element relative to the anime, which shows it standing straighter than some humans do.

My problem isn't Purrloin standing up, that's all fine and dandy. My problem is that this is effecively a retcon showing that either purrlion is actually a biped which was alluded to nowhere else, or can somehow change thier very skeletal structure to accomplish the same thing, which is again shown nowhere else. It's just... it's a huge biological fail, which is really jarring for someone not expecting it. I know I'm making a huge deal out of it, but it doesn't look right. It should have been more like the manga.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

tinning3 wrote:My problem isn't Purrloin standing up, that's all fine and dandy. My problem is that this is effecively a retcon showing that either purrlion is actually a biped which was alluded to nowhere else, or can somehow change their very skeletal structure to accomplish the same thing, which is again shown nowhere else. It's just... it's a huge biological fail, which is really jarring for someone not expecting it. I know I'm making a huge deal out of it, but it doesn't look right. It should have been more like the manga.
I don't think you're making a huge deal out of it and also I added that quote to my sigquote list
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:15 pm

ill just say one thing
"biologically incorrect" this is pokémon, theyre free to have creative liberty with some stuff, it doesnt have to ALL make sense. as far as we know purrloin could be some sorta magic animal who can both be bipedal and quadrupedal really
sure it might not make sense but neither does a bunch of fire-breathing animals, or ones that shoot enormous amounts of water that they couldnt possibly hold inside of them, or the fact wailord is literally lighter than air... some stuff is accurate to real life in pokémon, but some isnt. they can have an animal that can be both perfectly quadrupedal and bipedal if they want to.

and i do have to admit seeing purrloin walk in two legs is kinda awkward but its just a thing it can do i guess
(also i really like even like after the games been out for some time we can still be surprised by stuff in it, hope there are more... "discoveries"? like this later)
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:03 pm

1) Yes, as far as we know, Purrloin might have the power to change its bones, so that it can easily walk on both four and two legs. The difference between that ability and some random Pokemon being able to breath fire is the fact that we are usually introduced to a Pokemon knowing, yes, these ones can breathe fire. And if Purrloin would have had the ability to change the shape of its skeleton in the gen where Purrloin was introduced, noone would have said something. We would have said "Oh, a magic cat" and that would have been it. But we weren't introduced to that ability untill the next gen. In fact, no, we weren't introduced to that ability at all. We were suddenly confronted with a bipedal Purrloin. Gen five never meanitons it being able to easily stand and walk on two legs. And gen six never explains why it suddenly can.

tl;dr: No matter what you say, they changed Purrloin in SOME way, for no obvious reason without giving an explanation.

2) See? Even you find it akward. And that's our main issue.

3) I REALLY hope there are no discoveries like THAT, I am fine with discoveries but not with ones that don't fir into the established canon.

You want a fun discovery? Have this fun fact:
All Pokemons that can learn TMs can learn the TM Toxic, implying that all Pokemons are able to produce highly toxic substances. Yes, even the cute ones.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:16 pm

knew that already so not really a discovery?

i like the fact nincada, ferroseed, ferrothorn, larvesta, and volcarona are all apparently too ugly to attract things
and cryogonal is just so beautiful it surpasses gender limitations and is able to learn attract while being genderless
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:16 pm

OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:06 pm

ohjay, y u no comic link?
General chat: Who needs mspaf anyway - Page 6 7f77bf116ojcw

edit: whoops, didn't realize there was another page.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasmalDexterity Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm

NN, I would battle with you, but I'm breeding and hatching right now, not really ready for anything.
phantasmalDexterity
phantasmalDexterity
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Heheheh I know what that's like, since Friday I've bred two Gyarados, two Excadrill and three *******! Crazy addictive. I can't stop, it reminds me too much of the fun I had back in gen 4~

All of this is making me understand even further:
Gen 5 was a complete and utter shit-fest in regards to meta stuff!
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:41 pm

d_what wrote:All of this is making me understand even further:
Gen 5 was a complete and utter shit-fest in regards to meta stuff!
What exactly do you mean?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Well, besides the fact that power creep was basically defined in Pokemon in 5th gen, and a whole bunch of other obvious things that are written in sky-high letters to anyone in the competitive scene, this article might give you a teeny inkling into the problems we were having last gen: 

http://www.smogon.com/tiers/ou/ban_history

Every generation necessitates bans now and then when the meta is stale or unbalances or over centralised. But the 5th gen one was... Dismal isn't even a strong enough word. It really was an absolute, total, 100 percent legitimate shit fest. Only time will tell if we can recover from it... Weather is gone and the meta has never been more diverse... Bar some megas and Aegislash, who I'm sure will fit in eventually, but come Bank we're gonna have a huge influx of legendaries, and I mean the GOOD ones. A common core late in 5th gen was Tyranitar/Keldeo/Landorus with Celebi and/or Latios as helpful options. How is that not the most boringly clichéd thing ever to battle against :/
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:02 am

so they finally banned gengarite

there goes my strategy
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:19 am

So much for MGengar not being freaking powerful Very Happy 
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:40 am

i guess it makes sense because my gengar was really luck-based; if hypnosis hits, then i can set up a substitute and use shadow ball and focus blast at will, and then just hypnotize the next pokemon that switches in
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next