Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

+17
tinning3
ilikeoctopus
Dregadude
Xaber
Druplesnubb
willPowered
muffinz
Spark Eletran
d_what
phantasmalDexterity
OverlordJ
kotakun
invisibleTerrarium
variegatedDreamraptor
NinteNerd
cephalopodAscendant
Hanky Panky
21 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo - Page 3 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

Post by d_what Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Kidding

Implying flamingos don't fill a niche
If they didn't they'd be dead already and not found in, say, massive pink flocks
In fact they feed in the most incredibly polluted water that earth can naturally provide...

OH MY GOD THAT'S GENIUS! Spritzee, ladies and gentlemen! Works in shitty conditions and looks fabulous doing it!
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo - Page 3 Empty Re: Pokemon news discussion 2: Spoiler Tag Boogaloo

Post by OverlordJ Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Dude, what about it ISN'T a reference to Plague Doctors?

It has a face that looks like the mask of a Plague Doctor. Sure, it looks a bit like a bird but that's because the masks looked like beaks. And guess what, they had Parfume and similar stuff in those beaks because they had to take care of the many plague victims and those smelled BAD. And Spritzee might look a bit like a bird but it's neither flying type nor does it have levitate or anything like that. You know what ability it DOES have? Healer!

So, besides the Fairy type, what DOESN'T fit the Plague Doctor theme? And while we're at it, which type would have been better for a Plague Doctor?
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Actually, they stuffed the beaks full of perfume and other good-smelling stuff because they thought the plague was spread by bad air, and the good-smelling stuff was good air. Medical science has definitely come a long way. By which I mean, it actually exists now.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:00 pm

d_what wrote:Yeah I mean flamingos are basically pointless and useless species and should die out because they're not pulling their weight whereas plague doctors were totally efficient and not at all incompetent

But seriously guys
Pink bird
Fairy
Name of Spritzee
9/10ths perfume
A single plague doctor reference, in the world of Pokemon

There's really only one way this can go, and OJ, it's gonna be one of those last two pictures :/

You can always hope for a split evo later, though. Like Frosslass. Speaking of which. Do you think we'll get ANY older Pokémon evolved this gen? Or ever? Or did the outcry from some fans about 4th gen make Game Freak afraid to do anything anymore?
of course were gonna get new evos its an even gen screw the outcry
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Wasn't the outcry more about how you couldn't get most of the new evolutions until after you got the National Dex? Because that part was totally justified and Game Freak should take notice.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:19 pm

i do think we will get older pokémon evolving this gen

we already did

SYLVEON EXISTS GUYS

if there will be any OTHER evolutions though... Well then I've got just no idea but I'd like if we did
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:21 pm

There better be more to make up for last gen, in which we literally got no new evolutions or pre-evolutions (even Gen III gave us a couple).
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Some people really did get offended by them though. Oh yeah I'm sure they were all HUGE fans of Yanma and Electabuzz and Piloswine and Glalie beforehand :/ honestly, I thought it was one of the best things to happen in recent poke-history, even if some individual designs were seen as a bit iffy (people complaining about Togekiss - hasn't stopped reams of fanart, Magmortar - still about as attractive as Magmar, to be fair, Tangrowth - okay it was iterative, but so was most of gen 1, it would have fit perfectly). And now they've TWO gens to work from. Plus we haven't seen any more use from the dawn stone and the dawn stone was cool. I was really shocked when they pulled Alomomola on us last gen, I was used to the idea of occasional evolutions before gen 5. I figured it was a break though, and not the norm.

Regular evolutions are still better and more important than Mega Evolutions by a wide margin. It'd be a shame if the former was eschewed for the latter.

Edit: CA I do understand why they didn't last gen. They wanted it to be all-new and honestly, it did work for a lot of franchise returners. They even left out PIKACHU, for Pete's sake! And I guess they didn't want a repeat of 4th gen where all the really cool ones were at the end of the pokedex, post-game, making everyone annoyed. That said... The existence of alomomola was a cruel joke. Beats me why everyone disses on Garbodor (it's SUPPOSED to be ugly, what did you expect) and Vanilluxe (it's not an ice-cream, it's visually similar to an ice cream) when Alo exists.

Spark: so far Sylveon has been very much an exception rather than a rule. It doesn't particularly count but at least we know GF aren't specifically dead-set against new evolutions, at least in all situations.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by kotakun Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:37 pm

eevee evolutions totally dont count we get like twenty of them a generation
nor do the megaevolutions
kotakun
kotakun
Gentleman

http://kotakuns.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:25 pm

The downside of the megaevolutions is that the Pokemons that get one probably will never be able to get a regular evolution now...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 pm

re: fairies/ice
my only issue wwith fairy is the SE on dragon. i mean, dragon is basically just a slightly better normal, packing only one SE in exchange for another weakness, with a few more resistances. and its immunity to dragon isn't in itself OP. dark>psychic, anyone?

just as in my argument about steel being purely defensive, ice is a purely offensive type. jack shit in the resistances department, but ample types to hit SE, not to mention the plethora of 'mons that are 4x weak to it.

freeze dry: no. this move and the concept of moves having special damage exceptions is dumb.

new evos of old pokemon:
this is...pretty unlikely this gen given the introduction of mega-evos. possilb next-gen after all the newness hype of mega-evos has died.
that said, i do really really want it to happen, and i don't really understand all the hate from gen4...prolly just because i wasn't playing pokemon until after the whole DPPT thing was over, but still. i honestly cannot see an issue with older pokemon whose stats are no longer[or in some cases, never were] up to snuff with most the game getting a new boost. a lot of the ones they did were weird one-offs with unused potential, and i don't get why people were upset that they unleashed it.

omg guys
what if ...
DLC evolutions.
please no.
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:32 pm

I don't think so

If they used DLC it would probably be something like just new events or possibly the event legendaries

And they already confirmed there won't be DLC for patching stuff such as moves and types and stuff, basically to balance the metagame
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaber Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:41 pm

NN, Dragon is good because it only has one resistance. Being able to just spam Outrage/Draco Meteor on a team lacking Steel-types is ridiculously good. With the stats of most dragons (pseudo-legends, legends, etc.) Dragons are really good. Another resistance will make it much harder to just spam STAB forever.
Xaber
Xaber
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Except it isn't a resistance but an immunity, which is stupid.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by NinteNerd Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:55 am

NinteNerd wrote: dark>psychic, anyone?
NinteNerd
NinteNerd
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:45 am

I think I already said that I'm not to happy that Dark is immune too Psychic.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 am

Makes sense though. Psychic is all about the mind and dark's power comes from manipulating the worst parts of your mind. Shadows don't have any power except what humans put in them. See: Rattled.

And hate over an immunity is kinda pointless. Is it the physicality of it that bothers you, I.e a sylveon should FEEL a dragon fang hurt? Well, firstly, magic powers, and secondly, then all immunities should be an issue. Mud bomb is a projectile, why miss against flying? Shouldn't. A volt tackle at least physically tackle a ground type? If a crunch can hit a ghost, why not a pound? Questioning these is questioning the entire game structure. They're just upgrades to resistances and make for a more interesting game.

Unless it bothers you on a favouritism kind of level, i.e some type has the nerve to make Dragon useless. In which case... Sorry brah you're on your own!

XABER: p.s don't forget the elemental resistances. Fire-Water-Grass is an excellent defensive core EXCEPT for the existence of dragons. Also game freak prior to gen 6 has been playing favourites with Dragons for ages, that's a big problem too. Which is why I hope all the fairies for the near future get about as strong and as common as Azumarill and Gardevoir because they get so many inherent advantages that we really don't need a whole lot of really strong fairies and 90+ base power moves. In fact, maybe retype Milotic and Mismagius, have Spritzee's evolution be halfway decent, and call it a day, and I'd be happy. Fairy type Cresselia would be one of the worst things to happen to the metagame since the early days of the Jellicent/Ferrothorn core Sad
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:34 am

d_what wrote:Makes sense though. Psychic is all about the mind and dark's power comes from manipulating the worst parts of your mind. Shadows don't have any power except what humans put in them. See: Rattled.

And hate over an immunity is kinda pointless. Is it the physicality of it that bothers you, I.e a sylveon should FEEL a dragon fang hurt? Well, firstly, magic powers, and secondly, then all immunities should be an issue. Mud bomb is a projectile, why miss against flying? Shouldn't. A volt tackle at least physically tackle a ground type? If a crunch can hit a ghost, why not a pound? Questioning these is questioning the entire game structure. They're just upgrades to resistances and make for a more interesting game.
1) Mub Bomb is indeed a projectile. And hiding underground shouldn't protect you from flooding the place with a giant wave. Also, how DO Pokemons use Dive while on land?
The basic answer is that Pokemon isn't perfect and some interactions are a bit odd but are that way to keep the game simple. Flying Pokemons are immune to ground types, which makes sense for most of it and for the few moves where it doesn't it's handwaved.
Same goes for Ground types and Electric attacks. You could argue that they should only resist physical electric attacks and should only be immune to special electric attack. Who knows, they are reworking the system, maybe they'll add that. Though you should remember that the type interactions weren't changed since second gen and back then the game just couldn't handle such details. Maybe they should have changed it during this gen, who knows.

2) Crunch hits Ghosts because if Ghosts were immune to physical moves it'd be broken as hell, so they are only immune to Normal and Fighting type moves, which represents that. As for why they are immune to stuf like Aura Sphere, look at answer 1

3) Why would Fairies be protected by magic but only from Dragons? If you go with magic they should be immune to pretty much everything but Steel. Heck, Dragon is one of the types which would probably have the best chance at overcoming a magic defense, because of all that "Hurt only by Magic and Cold Iron" stuff most mythical creatures have.

4) Actually, I am upset about more then just the fact that Dark is immune, I also don't get why Steel resists it and why Poison is weak to Psychic.
I get that the power of mind (Psychic) is better then the power of the body (Fighting), which is why it's super effective against them and why they resist them.
I get that those with mental powers can resist mental powers themself better then others, so Psychic being resistant makes sense.
And Mind being weak to common fears (Bugs, Ghosts, Dark) makes perfect sense to me.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Addendum: steel no longer resists dark. Or ghost. And as for psychic resisting poison, chalk it to being based on homeopathy or something. Like how flying being weak to rock is best described by 'two birds with one stone'. My point BEING that outside the actually met a game (and I guess in-game) there's no point in questioning these things. Because they weren't designed to make sense, only to provide a varied gameplay experience.
In other news Masuda gave another (I love the XY developer interviews!) interview and I'm note excited than ever Smile 20 days left and they've only announced 20 Pokémon, and STILL haven't said how many actual new ones are being added! I don't know is this an official quote or merely an observation but apparently the entirety of the rest (bar any ones in the next 3 weeks) are being kept under wraps so the ENTITE WORLD will be taken by surprise on a never-before-seen and very personal level Very Happy so excited!! I think this is where a good spoiler policy comes into play. Because anything GF or coro coro officially leak is obviously something they feel comfortable with us knowing, but serebii and the rest of them will also report on any leaked game guides or early play throughs, which we AREN'T supposed to know about, and therefore will spoil the experience. So guys... For those who plan on getting the game on release, I strongly suggest NOT going out with the intention of getting more news, up to and including checking serebii, in the final week.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Yeah. From now on, I'm just gonna flat out not visit Serebii until I beat the games, so I'm counting mostly on the people who don't mind spoilers here to tell me any news. And yep, this is gonna be fun! At least like, 80 new Pokémon that we don't know anything about I'd imagine, a bunch of gym leaders, evil teams, and maybe even new mechanics... I feel like this is just about the PERFECT gen to go in sorta blind like this!
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I think, and obviously there's a million things that could go wrong and likely will go wrong, that this gen COULD be the greatest one we've ever had. Not saying it is, mind, but so far everything seems like GameFreak were actually trying to achieve something and taking the fans into account, making risks but considering options, as opposed to previous generations "iteration, with some new stuff" strategy. This one feels... Different. The release will be the big clincher though - the entire (up to date) fan base playing at once? Madness. Delicious, delicious madness! Throw in an RSE sequel and a decent Wii U game with 6-on-6 support, and gen 6 will get tattooed on my arm!

The metagame could still be a shambles though. We may have to accept that the majority of pokemon will never have a place in high-octane Pokémon battles.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm

I'll probably still check Serebii, since they do use spoilers for major plot stuff. Do we even need a Stadium-type game this generation? The graphics are already in 3D, and we have the ability to challenge anyone across the globe (provided you both have internet connections). Unless there's some aspect of those games that I'm overlooking.
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Spark Eletran Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:38 pm

well, theres still that mysterious footage from the other trailer with the lucario and blaziken and all

which seems to be probably a fighting game for the wii u considering some leaked names and stuff

so im happy
Spark Eletran
Spark Eletran
Tamer

Back to top Go down

Post by willPowered Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:14 pm

cephalopodAscendant wrote:I'll probably still check Serebii, since they do use spoilers for major plot stuff. Do we even need a Stadium-type game this generation? The graphics are already in 3D, and we have the ability to challenge anyone across the globe (provided you both have internet connections). Unless there's some aspect of those games that I'm overlooking.
I think the major thing would be improved graphics. Even though the series is in in 3D, the battle animations are simplified (looks like one physical, one special attack animation per pokemon) in order to keep the file size down and not make the battles drag on, and its still on a small screen.

On the other hand, battle revolution (which as an early wii game isn't much better then what a 3DS can do) has much more grandiose and complex animations, larger and more detailed battlegrounds. It's a difference of practicality versus spectacle.

Now the main series is in 3d they won't get away with a game as bare bones as pbr but I'd still want a console game.
willPowered
willPowered
Youngster

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinz Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Hey guys, a very trustworthy and reliable source has just leaked the entire gen 6 pokèdex!!!

Check it out!

Spoiler:
muffinz
muffinz
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next