Pokémon Quarantine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon general chat: Pokemon for breakfast?

+22
Hanky Panky
Xaber
kotakun
Rozewolf
tinning3
phantasmalDexterity
Tirgo
PunchesMalone
Sandstriker
Druplesnubb
NinteNerd
d_what
Hytheter
OverlordJ
ilikeoctopus
muffinz
cephalopodAscendant
Spark Eletran
DicksMcgee
Dregadude
tailoredGoose
Gelatino
26 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pokemon general chat: Pokemon for breakfast? - Page 5 Empty Re: Pokemon general chat: Pokemon for breakfast?

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah Solosis linked the new forum on the last post, so that was helpful.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Pokemon general chat: Pokemon for breakfast? - Page 5 Empty Re: Pokemon general chat: Pokemon for breakfast?

Post by d_what Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:32 am

Well, if you know exactly what stats you're breeding for and they're all the same, (e.g 31, possibly 30 if you're doing it for hidden power) the the judge is best. But to find out who has 31s to begin with, I.e random Pokemon whose stats you have no way of guessing, then first look at the characteristic.
I think the ones for 31 are:
Often dozes off
Likes to thrash about
Capable of taking hits
Mischievous
Somewhat vain
Alert to sounds.
If the pokemon has one of these it has a high chance if having at least one 31. If it does NOT have one of these, it definitely WON'T have 31s. So at least you know which ones to go the judge with in advance.

I never bother with IV calculators up until the very end. Let's say I've managed to get 5 pokemon with the right nature, ability and the 3 stats I was looking for. I don't need the calc because the judge told me up front, I have a 31 in Speed, HP and Atk. But then I don't really want to use it if it's got a 0 in defense and sp.defense... Not looking for great stats, just avoiding terrible ones. So I save the game, get an IV calc (metalkid for accuracy, or an android/iPhone app for quick and general)  use anything from 15 to 25 rare candies, plug in some of those stats (a single high-level one for general, or with metalkid levels 16, 17, 18, 19 20 for accuracy) , turn of the game and rinse and repeat. The judge is a major, major time saver but it's only efficient with 31s, if you try to breed for 29s AND 30s AND 31s you'll need a calculator.

Edit: oh yes and you'll need the power items. They're cheaper in BW2 and kinda pricey in BW... Get the Anklet first, then the Weight, Lens/Band, and then the other two.

Last edited by d_what on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
d_what
d_what
Democratically elected ruler of everything

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:38 am

Alright, changed my sig. It was long overdue for a rehaul anyway.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:39 am

I thought EVs were gonna be the complicated ones. I did think I was getting the hang of it easier than I expected. Okay well, I'll still EV train my secret santa, but I'm not promising steller IV's. I'll have to practice a bit with those to get the hang of it. It doesn't seem too bad overall, I just need to get the hang of it.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 am

EVs are actually pretty simple when you know how to do it, itjust takes some time and it's annoying. Though the Power items help.
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 am

Power items and Pokerus in tandem! Also, join avenue if you're willing to pay the prices.
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:46 am

Yeah I got EVs in the bag now, been reading up on it and got some pokérus and poweritems. I got white 1 so no join avenue.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 am

Getting speed at least is a doddle with the Power Anklet. Parent w/ 31 speed and anklet + any other parent = every single kid has perfect speed. It's actually easier than natures in BW... Providing you have the parent first!

Tip for getting pokemon with two perfect IVS:
p1 has perf speed.
P2 has perf attack. (Interchangeable.)
If one of them has the right nature, give that one the everstone. E.g p2 gets Everstone.
Then, give the other parent the appropriate power item: speed = anklet, p1 gets Anklet.
BREED!
All babies will have perfect speed, half of them (in BW) will have the right nature, and an incredible 1 in 5 of those will have both perfect stats! How great is that? Very Happy So in BW it's every 10th egg is exactly what you want, and in BW2 it's one in five!
(Note: does not include abilities and gender. Also it's actually a bit more than 1 in 5 and 1 in 10 because the 31 can spawn randomly. Yay!)
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:58 am

K hang on I'm just gonna write some notes in my notepad.exe for when I train my killer slowpoke
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:05 pm

are you taking notes on how to train things?? jesus get a fucking pen

:mspareference:
If it wasn't obvious that pattern up there works for all stats, not just speed and attack.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Yes and they are masterfully organised like a cool dudes would be

Yeah I understood the pattern bit, I think.

Also WHOPPS I didn't realise that by turning the email on for notifications I'd be recieveing email for EVERY SINGLE POST NOTIFICATION guess I'll go turn it off now
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:46 pm

Haha yeah I already got 21 emails from this site, even though I turned that off pretty quickly.

I think I'm going to spend some serious time EV training and Nature training before I do any more competitive battling.
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:56 pm

All this discussion of IVs and EVs made me want to breed and train Pokemon. But I got distracted trying to get the power items and got sucked into the black hole that is the battle subway...
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 pm

The battle subway is a good black hole to be sucked into

I have like 200 battle points from going on the BS all the time
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

https://pokemonquarantine.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandstriker Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 pm

For my first time EV training, I think I'll EV train a Sandshrew, so I can see how much I like using it. (Once I actually get around to playing White 2 again, that is.)
Sandstriker
Sandstriker
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregadude Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 pm

I thought I was special because I went from not being able to beat the Normal Single Train to going all the way through and getting a 7 win streak on the Super Single Train mspa
Dregadude
Dregadude
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Hmm, I should probably go to the battle subway sometime as well...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:09 pm

The battle sub is another reason why I'm gonna go EV training, since those stats stay even with the level reduced to 50. But yeah I suck at it. I managed to get to the conducter once on the normal single train. I was much better in Heart Gold on the battle tower, even managed to beat the first fight with the master there!
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Normal single train is for babies

Try super single

My current streak is 37 i think
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ilikeoctopus Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:15 pm

All I want in life is some BP

I'm in this horrible cycle, guys. I want to EV train some Pokemon so that I can Battle Subway with them but I need BP to get the Power Items so I need to do the Battle Subway?
ilikeoctopus
ilikeoctopus
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by OverlordJ Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:18 pm

ilikeoctopus wrote:All I want in life is some BP

I'm in this horrible cycle, guys. I want to EV train some Pokemon so that I can Battle Subway with them but I need BP to get the Power Items so I need to do the Battle Subway?

Yeah, I have a similar problem. I'll probably start breeding and training stuff for the subway once I'm post game. And the macho brace will have to be enough for EV training untill I got enough BP...
OverlordJ
OverlordJ
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeah the macho brace is always a good starting point. I got enough BP for a power thing for attack and HP, so while I can now boost those quickly, I do still have the brace for other stats.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by d_what Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Mine is...oh wait I've never tried. I always go for the Wi-Fi train since the Pokemon there are more interesting even if the AI is typically terrible. But I'm rank 6 there so I'm probably around 40.
I think I will try the super train though now that I have a team I like using.

Competitive is more fun when more people do it; this page fills me with hope! (Jake, get out of our thread.)

Oh and sandstriker: please please please use DREAM WORLD Sandshrew! They're superior by quite a substantial amount! And also they like Tyranitar partners.
d_what
d_what

Back to top Go down

Post by tinning3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Yep, it's always nice when people explain it to you as opposed to reading everything yourself and getting in over your head. As of now it's easier than I'd feared, though harder than I'd hoped.
tinning3
tinning3
Gentleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelatino Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:40 pm

ilikeoctopus wrote:All I want in life is some BP

Oh that's easy

Just do the normal single line a bunch of times with some grossly overpowered pokemon and you should be good

That's how I saved up for the power items
Gelatino
Gelatino
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next